Westworld Scoring Competition - Win every Spitfire Audio library

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
joeyluck

03 May 2020

This is not a ReasonTalk hosted competition, but this is the most relevant forum to post about this. Seems like something fun worth trying even if you think you have little chance of winning. It's great practice and you might surprise yourself. If you do participate, I'd love to listen to it here :)

Visit the Spitfire Audio site for more details on how to enter.

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/westworld/
We’ve teamed up with HBO’s Westworld to bring you an exclusive competition, judged by the show’s creators. Download and score a scene from Westworld Season 3 for your chance to win some amazing prizes – as well as the opportunity to showcase your work to the best in the business.

Entries will be judged by an elite panel comprising the show’s composer, Ramin Djawadi, as well as the creators: Jonathan Nolan, Lisa Joy, Executive Producer J.J. Abrams and the team at Spitfire Audio.

One talented winner will receive a Spitfire Audio Everything Drive consisting of over 70 products – 2.5 terabytes of sounds, worth over $20,000 when bought separately. The Everything Drive offers inspiring, world-class sounds that are used by the world’s leading composers on everything from blockbuster film scores through to avant-garde records and cutting-edge sound design.

The winner will also receive a prop from the set of Westworld and a signed Westworld vinyl. HBO will also make a donation on behalf of the winner to help fight the spread of COVID-19.

Five runners-up will each receive a copy of our flagship orchestra – Spitfire Symphony Orchestra. Perfect for creating symphonic works for TV, film and games, our Symphony Orchestra offers Strings, Brass and Woodwinds played by some of London’s finest musicians, and recorded in The Hall at AIR Studios, London – the home of blockbuster film scores.

Each runner up will also receive signed Westworld vinyl.

Competition begins May 3rd 2020, and closes on June 3rd at 23:59 BST / 15:59 PT / 18:59 EST. The winner will be notified by email beginning on/about 19 June 2020

Some motivational words from Paul in that video:
So get writing. It doesn't matter how old you are. It doesn't matter if you've done this before. It doesn't matter what sounds you're using. We're looking for creativity.

hurricane
Competition Winner

04 May 2020

Cool, this should be fun.

R11 doesn't support video, but you can still use the RRP in a DAW that does.

Like Logic, for example:

And Cubase:

Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

QVprod

04 May 2020

Non Reasontalk, which means I can participate! Haha. This is cool. Worth tackling at least for the fun of it

joeyluck

04 May 2020

hurricane wrote:
04 May 2020
Cool, this should be fun.

R11 doesn't support video, but you can still use the RRP in a DAW that does.
Yeah I was thinking of using Logic, but would probably use Reason with ReasonSync for now. I'm still much more comfortable working in Reason.

ReasonSync doesn't seem to be the most precise for longer projects, but probably ok for this. I've used it in the past for scoring to short films and composing music for dance (using rehearsal videos). And especially ok if the submission is a video—being that the participants are the ones joining the audio with the video. I think if they were just asking for the audio file to combine themselves, I'd be more concerned about the syncing. We'll see!

nomis

04 May 2020

Anybody used VidPlay VST before?

https://www.vidplayvst.com/index.htm

aeox
Competition Winner

04 May 2020

nomis wrote:
04 May 2020

Yea it works great

nomis

05 May 2020

aeox wrote:
04 May 2020
nomis wrote:
04 May 2020

Yea it works great
Thanks Aeox,
To be honest its $20 so its not a big cost but the frustration with these things is time put in versus result really. Looks like I'm making another plugin purchase before may madness. Which means another day of not buying in the reason sale!
I might enter the competition as I have a new rule of never listening to a submission until mine is in otherwise I never enter. Its a bit like you did 46 seconds with your wife and its a record but afterwards she tells you her ex always managed hours! You wouldn't have made the effort in hindsight! LOL

avasopht
Competition Winner

05 May 2020

Cool, could do with some extra props around the house.

Not sure I've much space left for all them sounds though ...

raveled
Competition Winner

15 May 2020

joeyluck wrote:
03 May 2020
If you do participate, I'd love to listen to it here :)
This is my entry. I had a blast putting it together, I encourage everyone who are thinking about participating to give it a shot! And yes, I have finally climbed on the bandwagon: Reason needs video support!

joeyluck

16 May 2020

raveled wrote:
15 May 2020
joeyluck wrote:
03 May 2020
If you do participate, I'd love to listen to it here :)
This is my entry. I had a blast putting it together, I encourage everyone who are thinking about participating to give it a shot! And yes, I have finally climbed on the bandwagon: Reason needs video support!
Very cool! Well done :thumbs_up:

raveled
Competition Winner

17 May 2020

joeyluck wrote:
16 May 2020
Thank you! Do you plan to participate yourself joeyluck? Would be fun to hear other entries made by ReasonTalk members :)

aeox
Competition Winner

17 May 2020

raveled wrote:
17 May 2020
joeyluck wrote:
16 May 2020
Thank you! Do you plan to participate yourself joeyluck? Would be fun to hear other entries made by ReasonTalk members :)
I'll post mine on june 3rd :)

raveled
Competition Winner

17 May 2020

aeox wrote:
17 May 2020
I'll post mine on june 3rd :)
Haha, normally I would probably have done the same, but a hectic period is coming up for me so I needed to finish early on. Looking forward to hear what you come up with!

PaoloP

19 May 2020

Reason is actually good for film scoring. Even if it is lacking native video capability it is still possible to use VSTs. I had a lot of fun making my re-scoring of the Westworld scene.
Here it is! Hope you like it :)

raveled
Competition Winner

20 May 2020

PaoloP wrote:
19 May 2020
Reason is actually good for film scoring. Even if it is lacking native video capability it is still possible to use VSTs. I had a lot of fun making my re-scoring of the Westworld scene.
Here it is! Hope you like it :)
Awesome, well balanced mix of synths and orchestral elements!

Benedict
Competition Winner

21 May 2020

I did this a few days after the comp was announced. It was amusing.

Not expecting to win anything as I anticipate like most of these comps they have a very pre-set sense of what they want to hear but it was good to do.

from my YT Notes:

Competitions everywhere. This was hard to pass up for the quality of the film alone. I haven't watched this Westworld at all. That name still means Yul Brynner to me. I have no idea what the show is like or how it is normally scored. I assume not like this. I fell pretty easily into a sort of John Carpenter mode. Seeing everything seems so silly, I overplayed everything - big synth sounds being as hammy as the action. It is mixed too loud for release but I am showing off my thing and assume the film's mix engineer would handle the final balance was this genuine work.

Synths used are Europa, Thor, & Surge for the Reso Sweep. The only Spitfire sound I used was one instance of the LABS String Ensemble, backed by another Europa.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

adfielding

27 May 2020

I managed to put together an entry yesterday and I had an absolute blast with it.

I decided to pick up VidPlayVST for this as I'd never tried it before and wow, it was so much nicer working with video entirely in Reason 11 than having to battle with something else! If you've ever wanted to work with video in Reason then I can totally recommend it.

Benedict
Competition Winner

27 May 2020

Hi Adam

Haha you changed genres when he changed genres :lol: You are one of the few I have watched (and I have watched too many) that a) used guitar sounds and b) used a "hang" when the shot pulled out.
adfielding wrote:
27 May 2020
I decided to pick up VidPlayVST for this as I'd never tried it before and wow, it was so much nicer working with video entirely in Reason 11 than having to battle with something else! If you've ever wanted to work with video in Reason then I can totally recommend it.
How accurate did you find VidPlay?

I used ReSync which is external using MIDI Loopback, as I have for quite a few movies, and sadly timing seems to get loose so sometimes things are sync'd and others they are not. It requires a lot of restarting the Seq and living in hope. Even then when exported, the audio was offset by several frames (altho maybe that was PDC???).

If VidPlay is more accurate, I would swap. If not I'll still hold Video as my #1 feature request for Reason.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

nomis

27 May 2020

VidPlayVSt works really well I am using it too though I haven't finished my entry yet. It syncs really well jumps nicely when working in the sequencer edit too which is nice. Its a nice price as well. Cheap as a less useful on sale RE mentioning no names as such.

Oh and thanks Adam with destroying my confidence with your great entry. I'll let you off though as I'm a fan of your YouTube channel. No seriously good entry like the guitar as well seems my weedy guitar needs some work then. My entry went all techno meets The Matrix last night which no one needs to hear. Not sure how I ended up there too much cheddar cheese for dinner maybe!

Will you be doing a breakdown on your YouTube stream on your entry as some of us amateurs need the help you know ;-)

bxbrkrz

27 May 2020

757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

adfielding

28 May 2020

Benedict wrote:
27 May 2020
Haha you changed genres when he changed genres :lol:
Haha, yep - in the original episode Caleb ends up getting dosed with a drug called Genre that causes him to experience the world through a series of film genres, which is a pretty fun concept. This article goes a bit more into it:

https://screenrant.com/westworld-season ... rug-songs/

I figured they'd already had it switch to a war-film during the actual clip, so I decided to go for a bit of an action-film type vibe instead. That was a lot of fun.
adfielding wrote:
27 May 2020
How accurate did you find VidPlay?
I thought it was great - zero issues syncing everything up, it just worked. Once I was done I remux'd the original video with my replacement audio, no problems. I wasn't using anything that would cause PDC to kick in, but I imagine that if I had it could have caused issues in hindsight - hadn't even considered that. I'd still love to see proper video support but VidPlayVST is a nice no-fuss workaround until then.
nomis wrote:
27 May 2020
Will you be doing a breakdown on your YouTube stream on your entry as some of us amateurs need the help you know ;-)
I was thinking about it - I'm going to give a very non-commital "maybe" as I know I'm in for a world of copyright flags and problems if I do go down that route. But I might!

Benedict
Competition Winner

28 May 2020

Thanks Adam
Benedict Roff-Marsh

DouglasMoon

02 Jun 2020

This is my entry hope you like it.

Bloma

02 Jun 2020

I've been working on this quite a lot over the last 2 weeks, and finally finished it (and it's the cutoff date today). I used Logic, but did a little processing in Reason. Also you should check out Spitfire audio's free LABS plugins, they're really really good.

Last edited by Bloma on 03 Jun 2020, edited 1 time in total.

rare_shadow
Competition Winner

03 Jun 2020

This is my entry:

I also used the VidPlayVSt plugin

R10, Nucleus Lite, UJAM Carbon

• Information