Reason Compact - will RS make a "pro" version?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
The_G

09 May 2020

I really enjoy sketching ideas out with Reason Compact - it's simple, intuitive and fun. But I also get frustrated and how limited it is. I'd love to be able to load up more instruments or actually arrange something. If it had that capability, I don't know if I'd ever touch my other iOS music apps.

Are RS working on anything like this? Have to think there's a big market to capture.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

Jackjackdaw

09 May 2020

I thought they were going to make more progress with compact than they have. It seems to have been left to gather dust. I was really optimistic about it because the synths sound great, but the app is too basic.

benjified

09 May 2020

I'm hoping for an update too, as I usually resort to using Gadget over Reason Compact. They should update Figure too.

joeyluck

09 May 2020

I would love if they at least added ID8 to it. That would cover so many bases. It's perfect for sketching ideas—the whole concept behind ID8.

DaveyG

10 May 2020

I think they might have learnt that it's hard to make a profit from apps.
And I think they just bought in Figure rather than developed it,

Yonatan

10 May 2020

joeyluck wrote:
09 May 2020
I would love if they at least added ID8 to it. That would cover so many bases. It's perfect for sketching ideas—the whole concept behind ID8.
Very good idea!

EnochLight

10 May 2020

The_G wrote:
09 May 2020
Reason Compact - will RS make a "pro" version?
I hate to be "that guy", but I fear that Reason Compact is pretty much as far along as Reason Studios will take it at this point. We've heard not a peep from the Product Manager that ran the project (Hanna Åstrand) since the last major update, and it's approaching a year now since 2.0. And since Reason Compact really only appeals to Reasoners who work inside Reason DAW, and their focus seems to be on Reason Rack Plugin for now, I just can't see them reviving Reason Compact development anytime soon, or ever for that matter.

I really hope I'm wrong, though. Man I hope I'm wrong!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 May 2020

Yep. “We’ll do Rebirth as an app”
Bought. Discontinued. Removed from App Store.
“We’ll do an audio interface”
Bought. Discontinued. Oh well.
“Well do another app. And then another app. Ach...why not. Might as well do another one with some in app-purchases”
Bought. Future looks promising. Long time gone. Nuthin’.Oh well.
Look forward to the next great idea to invest in.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EnochLight

10 May 2020

I'm willing to wager that Reason Compact did NOT have the return-on-investment for Reason Studios as they had hoped. If enough in-app purchases had occurred - whether it was for unlocking all of the device features or soundpacks - you can bet your hide that they would have continued active development. But there hasn't even been any new soundpacks in almost a year! That clearly suggests it was a bust. Oh well... :(
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Jackjackdaw

10 May 2020

Maybe if they had tried harder to make it a tool that supplemented Reason desktop it would have won over a captive audience. As it is, its half baked for integration and if your not a Reason user then Korg Gadget is a no brainer.

EnochLight

10 May 2020

It’s strange that Reason Compact’s shortcomings seem to mirror Reason DAW proper: sequencer, sequencer, sequencer. It could have been so much better, but they just stopped. Korg Gadget is exactly the approach they should have taken. Instead of Gadgets, let users add/buy Compact RE’s, etc. Even Korg Gadget’s sequencer is miles ahead.

jjkjjk

18 May 2020

Bump - wish the IAP were on sale for May Madness and also wish it wasn’t abandonware . . . Really good opportunity to be a productive sketch pad

Faastwalker

18 May 2020

Reason Compact got off to a very bad start. I was hoping to see it develop into something really interesting. Still waiting. I hope they have not abandoned it but we've not heard much for quite a while now - I think the last update was almost a year ago to the day. Maybe one day we'll actually get Reason Compact but seems unlikely now.

tiker01

18 May 2020

I think it is not happening at the moment, unfortunately. I always thought that Reason on mobile should build on the design of Figures playability with gradually adding deeper editing options to sequencing, mixing, automation....and more instruments with the ability to open projects in Reson desktop.

Still waiting!!!

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

fieldframe
RE Developer

19 May 2020

Reason Compact made sense as a phone app, serving the purpose of a quick sketchpad that offered a workflow directly into Reason. I think it could have evolved some more mature songwriting-focused features that would have supported that use case. As an iPad app, though, it wasn’t really playing on the same field as something like Gadget, and certainly not BeatMaker. There was no path to grow Compact into a mobile DAW any more than there was for Figure, unfortunately.

DaveyG

19 May 2020

I'd use it more if it wasn't for the annoying nag screens everywhere. I'm fine for apps to have in-app purchases but they don't have to be so in your face about it. I use a couple of other apps for idea sketching and then export to Ableton Live and onward into Studio One to get at the individual tracks. It's a less efficient workflow but a happier sketching experience.

It's also interesting to note that they don't seem to have updated it to give you a licence for Reason 11 Lite. It still only gives Reason 10 Lite.

With very few changes Reason Compact could be a real gateway to tempt new users into Reason but I think it is now almost abandonware.

Jackjackdaw

19 May 2020

It smells like abandonware to me. A shame because i liked it and bought all three ovepriced modules! I bought Thor as well and when i asked support if preset exports still worked in itunes they didnt even know! (It doesnt). Hopefully they will stop wasting everybodies time on these half baked sideshows and focus on the core Reason.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

19 May 2020

joeyluck wrote:
09 May 2020
Adding ID8 is a good idea.

But like other people here I suspect they won't take Reason compact any further. I think they'll leave it as it is and eventually abandon in it in 2 years time or so when no one is buying it anymore. I doubt they even make much money of it right now, but I understand they don't wan't to look stupid since it's still a fairly new product. They'll probably abondon it once people have forgotten about it.

To be honest I'd rather have RS spending their time on the Reason DAW or making new cool REs. Anything than making half assed mobile apps or more Allihopa projects.
They should do what they do best, making fun software. Beatmap was a great example of RS doing what they do best imo.

Rackman

19 May 2020

It's abandonware. Much like the DAW itself. If you are expecting to see developmwnt of anything now other than REs and the plugin, I think you will be very disappointed.

Yonatan

19 May 2020

Reason apps should be something to use alongside the DAW and Rack Plugin, combining best of 2 types of worlds, like having the Rack and triggering loops and clips live etc. And if a mini DAW, make it like Garageband category.
Reason Compact never compelled me, first off because I have no apple pads. But even that put aside, it felt too much of just a gimmick app. Only Pro in Compact is the pro-castrination of not doing what really makes sense for users.
Good to see it on ice and hope they do a proper app later on, directly linked to Reason.

chimp_spanner

19 May 2020

IMHO, having spent a lot of time (and money) trying to get the iPad to act like a mobile studio, I'd have to say it's more desirable in theory than in practice. iOS is still not a great environment to work in; not when a laptop with Mac OS or Windows is an option. There's almost no good reason to choose an iPad over a laptop. So much easier to download and use samples, manage files, get programs working together.

Where the iPad is most useful to me at the moment is either as a sampling source, or as a controller. RsTouch is great. And TouchAble for Live is even better (it's a decent portion of the program available to you on screen; note editing, clip launching, mixing, etc.). So tbh if RS pursue iOS in any capacity, I'd say it should be in this area. They should just snap up RsTouch and make it official. And also available to people outside of the states. I was lucky; I bought mine before it got region locked. Never did get an answer from the dev as to why that changed, but fortunately I'm able to restore it from my purchases. It feels like an official extension of Reason on the iPad. So many interesting places you could take it.

Jagwah

19 May 2020

Hey if it's not Reason - they are likely to be working on it :)

EnochLight

19 May 2020

Rackman wrote:
19 May 2020
It's abandonware. Much like the DAW itself.
Fake news.

Rackman

19 May 2020

EnochLight wrote:
19 May 2020
Rackman wrote:
19 May 2020
It's abandonware. Much like the DAW itself.
Fake news.
yawn

EnochLight

19 May 2020

Rackman wrote:
19 May 2020
EnochLight wrote:
19 May 2020

Fake news.
yawn
Exactly. Nothing to see here.

• Information