Route MIDI output of a VST into a Reason Instrument.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 May 2020

Is there anyone who can tell me simply how to do this? Maybe I need to go into more details on what the VSTs and instruments are. If so then please let me know. Thanks.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

zumBeispiel

18 May 2020

Ahahah, :puf_smile:

Welcome to the club "VST MIDI OUT PLEASE"!

Are you trying Jam Origin Midi Guitar?
Last edited by zumBeispiel on 18 May 2020, edited 1 time in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 May 2020

zumBeispiel wrote:
18 May 2020
Ahahah, :puf_smile:

Welcome to the club "VST MIDI OUT PLEASE"!

Trying JOMG?
So that's a definite no then?

It helps if you lie on your back and bring your legs up over your head by the way :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

zumBeispiel

18 May 2020

I like so much Jam Origin Midi Guitar and would like playing it inside Reason. They gave the developer a kind of promise for a fast fix: it was Reason 9 era!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 May 2020

Ok...here's the VST. It's called Transition and it's a generative MIDI sequencer.
https://www.codefn42.com/transition/index.html
Apparently according to the instructions:

"Transition is a MIDI only VST plugin. It does not produce any sound of its own. You need to set it up so it can receive MIDI data (if you want to use the transpose feature), and route the MIDI output to the desired instrument(s). How easy (or even possible) it is to do this depends on your DAW's MIDI routing capabilities.
Generally, you should add Transition to a new MIDI or instrument track. This is the same procedure you would follow adding any VST instrument in your DAW. Then you will have to route the output from Transition to one, or multiple, VST instruments. If you are not sure how to do this, please refer to your DAW's documentation. "

So I referred to the instructions as they said and I have not got a clue.
Is it as zumBeispiel says? Can't be done in Reason?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

DaveyG

18 May 2020

MrFigg wrote:
18 May 2020
Is there anyone who can tell me simply how to do this? Maybe I need to go into more details on what the VSTs and instruments are. If so then please let me know. Thanks.
You can do it easily, just not in Reason Standalone. Choose pretty much any DAW, add Reason Rack on one track and your MIDI VST on another and send its output to Reason Rack, which contains the instrument you want to play.

I know this is not what you meant but it is the only way to do it.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 May 2020

DaveyG wrote:
18 May 2020
MrFigg wrote:
18 May 2020
You can do it easily, just not in Reason Standalone. Choose pretty much any DAW, add Reason Rack on one track and your MIDI VST on another and send its output to Reason Rack, which contains the instrument you want to play.

I know this is not what you meant but it is the only way to do it.
Aaa. Thanks. And there the story ends. Reason 10.4 until the day I die :). Thanks again.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Stygian Abyss

18 May 2020

MrFigg wrote:
18 May 2020
Aaa. Thanks. And there the story ends. Reason 10.4 until the day I die :). Thanks again.
MrFigg, in fact it is actually possible to do it in Reason standalone with polyphony and velocity, but you need a few additional software, and I won't say it's simple.
But I give detailed, step by step instructions in my tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7516823
A new version using Reaktor instead of Voltage Modular is coming soon.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 May 2020

Stygian Abyss wrote:
18 May 2020
MrFigg wrote:
18 May 2020
MrFigg, in fact it is actually possible to do it in Reason standalone with polyphony and velocity, but you need a few additional software, and I won't say it's simple.
But I give detailed, step by step instructions in my tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7516823
A new version using Reaktor instead of Voltage Modular is coming soon.
Many, many thanks for that but I'm a simple guitarist and those crazy machines are beyond me. Cable from instrument into effects and then into amplifier :). Thanks again though. I will read it.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ReasonLyph

13 Mar 2023

I know this is old thread, but im actually running into this same problem, “harvest mini” its a vst midi player, but #1 shows up as “instrument”, and #2 cant figure out how to route to a synth right, which im now discovering is an issue with reason lol, BUT im still on 10.4, im wondering, if anyone who was having this issue in past, has been able to resolve it thanks to the “midi in” and “midi out” devices now in new reason? Well i have the “in” in 10, but i would have to upgrade to get the “out”, but im assuming we shud be able to use those to resolve the issue and rout the vst like an external hardware sequencer right??🤞🤣

reasonosaer

15 Mar 2023

Lemme save ya'll some trouble on this one, Reason 12 doesn't have vst midi out like every other daw on the planet and Reason 13 won't either for the same reason Reason 9 didn't. They want the rack to be a walled garden for Players and not have their latest $99 rube goldberg contraption where they made a gui out of a windows 98 screensaver for a music theory CD-R they found in the jacket cover of a 90s diatonic harmony 101 college textbook compete directly with Scaler, Cthulu, et al in the "compositional aid" section of the plugin market that was hotly contested for a decade before Propellerheads decided to implement Reason's current intentionally partial VST support.

If you've been living off the grid for the last 20 years becoming a famous dj producer on socials without like, knowing shit and stuff (especially music theory), is like so hot right now. So look for this conspicuously missing feature to remain missing for the foreseeable future or until something crazy happens like Reason Studios being sold to, oh I dunno, a company that makes music software? Or maybe just a company with a passing interest in the music industry looking to round out it's IP base and create some brand synergy like Korg or Roland? Probably not in this absurdist timeline, but that won't stop me from dreaming of the reality I'm supposed to be in.

Mich01

16 Mar 2023

I should give VST Host (oldie but goodie) a try and route the midi port via Loopmidi into Reason.

greetzz Michel

moalla

16 Mar 2023

Mich01 wrote:
16 Mar 2023
I should give VST Host (oldie but goodie) a try and route the midi port via Loopmidi into Reason.

greetzz Michel
Yeah that´s the best and easiest way! Apart from that, you biscuit :lol:

here are the download for the newest 64bit Hermann Seibs VST HOST only Win:
https://www.hermannseib.com/programs/vsthostx64.zip
MAC: https://www.apple.com/mainstage/

In case of VST Host place the 64.exe on the desktop, connect it via loopmidi
https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/wp-conte ... _16_27.zip

Virtual midi on mac
https://dialogaudio.com/modulationproce ... _setup.php
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

Mataya

16 Mar 2023

reasonosaer wrote:
15 Mar 2023
Lemme save ya'll some trouble on this one, Reason 12 doesn't have vst midi out like every other daw on the planet and Reason 13 won't either for the same reason Reason 9 didn't. They want the rack to be a walled garden for Players and not have their latest $99 rube goldberg contraption where they made a gui out of a windows 98 screensaver for a music theory CD-R they found in the jacket cover of a 90s diatonic harmony 101 college textbook compete directly with Scaler, Cthulu, et al in the "compositional aid" section of the plugin market that was hotly contested for a decade before Propellerheads decided to implement Reason's current intentionally partial VST support.

If you've been living off the grid for the last 20 years becoming a famous dj producer on socials without like, knowing shit and stuff (especially music theory), is like so hot right now. So look for this conspicuously missing feature to remain missing for the foreseeable future or until something crazy happens like Reason Studios being sold to, oh I dunno, a company that makes music software? Or maybe just a company with a passing interest in the music industry looking to round out it's IP base and create some brand synergy like Korg or Roland? Probably not in this absurdist timeline, but that won't stop me from dreaming of the reality I'm supposed to be in.
Great post. Well said.

tx
Mataya

philosurfer

23 Jun 2023

Virtual Midi loopback works fine on Mac. I cannot speak for Windows machines, but that seems to be a non-issue now as well.

Eventually, this will be a native feature as part of the VST3 evolution in the meantime, hyperbole, no matter how creative is not productive and just makes you look lame. ;^)

reasonosaer

25 Jun 2023

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but as i've explained several times before on this forum the partial support for VST 2/3 standards is an intentional omission designed to create a walled garden for RS's own midi plugins (players). they don't want their own players being compared to stuff like scaler and captain compositional aids or the wide world of generative and semi-generative VST plugins so they've intentionally crippled their DAW and made it incompatible with the fastest growing segment of the plugin market for the last decade while ignoring this very popular and easy to implement feature request for years. this is consistent with the greedy, customer-hostile decision making and utter cluelessness about the market and their own path forward as a company that RS has become infamous for since private equity took over the company and it will probably not change under the current managment. :thumbs_down: :thumbs_down:

crimsonwarlock

25 Jun 2023

reasonosaer wrote:
25 Jun 2023
sorry to be the bearer of bad news...
As you are (obviously) not employed by Reason Studios, you are not the bearer of bad news, you are just giving your opinion. You are entitled to your opinion, but don't make it sound like you have some inside information :puf_wink:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

• Information