MPC LIVE II

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
O1B

15 May 2020

EnochLight

15 May 2020

O1B wrote:
15 May 2020

Good Overview:
True story: decided to sell my MPC Live 1 and get the 2 late last night. Listed my Live 1 for sale; it sold in under an hour! Decided to go to bed - Guitar Center had them in stock and ready to ship. Got up this morning and went to order the Live 2 - ALL ON BACK ORDER!!! It sold out in less than a day almost everywhere! :shock: :o :( :redface:

So now I have to sit on a pre-order at Sweetwater and wait for more to come in. Rep says they're supposed to get more at the end of the month, but we'll see how that pans out. I'm not confident I'll see it anytime soon.. :(
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

O1B

16 May 2020

That sounds like it'll be y story.

Bought and sold the MPC Live I - twice! Then I got the ONE (CV)
This is Great News. Now, I can learn the HELL out of my ONE.

But. SHIT!!! I didn't know it was available yet! Damn! Guess Ill be waiting, too.

On another note: Has the Keystep Pros been able to start shipping - from KANSAS??? They all seem to be in Warehouses on Covid lockdown.
EnochLight wrote:
15 May 2020
O1B wrote:
15 May 2020

Good Overview:
True story: decided to sell my MPC Live 1 and get the 2 late last night. Listed my Live 1 for sale; it sold in under an hour! Decided to go to bed - Guitar Center had them in stock and ready to ship. Got up this morning and went to order the Live 2 - ALL ON BACK ORDER!!! It sold out in less than a day almost everywhere! :shock: :o :( :redface:

So now I have to sit on a pre-order at Sweetwater and wait for more to come in. Rep says they're supposed to get more at the end of the month, but we'll see how that pans out. I'm not confident I'll see it anytime soon.. :(

O1B

16 May 2020

O1B wrote:
16 May 2020
That sounds like it'll be my story.

Bought and sold the MPC Live I - twice! Then I got the ONE (CV)
This is Great News. Now, I can learn the HELL out of my ONE.

But. SHIT!!! I didn't know it was available yet! Damn! Guess Ill be waiting, too.

On another note: Has the Keystep Pros been able to start shipping - from KANSAS??? They all seem to be in Warehouses on Covid lockdown.
EnochLight wrote:
15 May 2020

EnochLight

16 May 2020

O1B wrote:
16 May 2020
I don't know anything about the Keystep Pro, sorry!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Kalm

16 May 2020

On a Maschine Mikro and really interested in the AKAI MPC stuff. Basically looking at it for Boom Bap stuff and drums. Any suggestions what I should go with? Some Pros and Cons as well? FYI I will be getting a Maschine MK3
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

EnochLight

16 May 2020

Kalm wrote:
16 May 2020
On a Maschine Mikro and really interested in the AKAI MPC stuff. Basically looking at it for Boom Bap stuff and drums. Any suggestions what I should go with? Some Pros and Cons as well? FYI I will be getting a Maschine MK3
(warning: long ass soapbox speech incoming)... :puf_bigsmile: :lol:

Literally the *ONLY* reason to go with one of the current gen MPC's is for true standalone functionality, IMHO - as the MPC Software that runs on your computer is really just a utility app not conducive to inspirational creation. If you desire to get away from your computer and not be tethered, then the MPC Live 2 or One is a great option. The integrated Touch User Interface has matured brilliantly since release back in 2016 (making its first appearance on the MPC Touch), and Akai frequently updates the firmware each year introducing new features, and always for free. We usually see at least 2, sometimes 3 updates per year.

And the latest 2.8 firmware introduces proper multitibral MIDI, so you can really use your MPC as the center of your hardware setup if so inclined.

I'm not knocking Maschine, but it's not even in the same category as you have to be tethered to a computer to use it. That makes Maschine infinitely more powerful by default, as you'll always have access to your DAW - hence any plugin and sample library you want. But the trade-off is being stuck hooked to a computer.

There really is nothing like picking up your MPC Live, heading out to the patio or backyard, or a park, or the beach, or anywhere you WANT, with a set of cans and just creating. Sitting on the couch; having your morning coffee at the kitchen table. It's just awesome.
Computers have so many distractions, and sometime it's just nice to not have to worry about looking at a computer display.

Kalm

16 May 2020

EnochLight wrote:
16 May 2020
Kalm wrote:
16 May 2020
(warning: long ass soapbox speech incoming)... :puf_bigsmile: :lol:

Literally the *ONLY* reason to go with one of the current gen MPC's is for true standalone functionality, IMHO - as the MPC Software that runs on your computer is really just a utility app not conducive to inspirational creation. If you desire to get away from your computer and not be tethered, then the MPC Live 2 or One is a great option. The integrated Touch User Interface has matured brilliantly since release back in 2016 (making its first appearance on the MPC Touch), and Akai frequently updates the firmware each year introducing new features, and always for free. We usually see at least 2, sometimes 3 updates per year.

And the latest 2.8 firmware introduces proper multitibral MIDI, so you can really use your MPC as the center of your hardware setup if so inclined.

I'm not knocking Maschine, but it's not even in the same category as you have to be tethered to a computer to use it. That makes Maschine infinitely more powerful by default, as you'll always have access to your DAW - hence any plugin and sample library you want. But the trade-off is being stuck hooked to a computer.

There really is nothing like picking up your MPC Live, heading out to the patio or backyard, or a park, or the beach, or anywhere you WANT, with a set of cans and just creating. Sitting on the couch; having your morning coffee at the kitchen table. It's just awesome.
Computers have so many distractions, and sometime it's just nice to not have to worry about looking at a computer display.
Noted. Thanks for that. I never really make music on the go or somewhere because it’s always been uncomfortable for me and I can never get all my ideas out without having everything at my disposable. So it sounds like I won’t benefit much with AKAI unless I find a new revelation of producing on the go lol
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

dmcghee

16 May 2020

You can also use the NEW MPCs in Controller Mode and have access to all your plugins including Native Instruments plugins. In Controller Mode the MPC X/Live/ Live ll/One are more powerful. Plus you have audio tracks in stand alone.

EnochLight

16 May 2020

True, though standalone audio tracks are limited to a total of 8 and no more than 5 minutes in length. They’ll get truncated at 5 minutes, which is a sore lesson for those who aren’t aware.

dmcghee

28 May 2020

True, but most RnB, Pop, Country, HipHop and Smooth Jazz songs and tracks aren’t 5 minutes long.

DaveyG

29 May 2020

dmcghee wrote:
28 May 2020
True, but most RnB, Pop, Country, HipHop and Smooth Jazz songs and tracks aren’t 5 minutes long.
No, but with an MPC you are more likely to make Blue Monday than Candle In The Wind. Except with a 5 minute limit you might have to call it Blue Mo. Given how cheap memory and SSD storage are the 5 min limit does seem a bit stingy in this day and age.

I occasionally try going mobile, talking the laptop or even just the iPad somewhere else with the fantasy that it will inspire different stuff but it almost always ends up with me getting frustrated that I don't have the full arsenal of weaponry at my fingertips and that I just can't get very much on the screen at once. I'd probably have the same feeling with an MPC.

EnochLight

29 May 2020

DaveyG wrote:
29 May 2020

Except with a 5 minute limit you might have to call it Blue Mo.
Hahah - this made me chuckle. :lol:
DaveyG wrote:
29 May 2020

Given how cheap memory and SSD storage are the 5 min limit does seem a bit stingy in this day and age.
Just so we understand the actual issue, the cost or amount of RAM and SSD storage isn’t the issue; far less powerful machines can do disc streaming just fine with far less amounts of RAM. The Elektron and Deluge are two that come to mind. The problem is that Akai simply hasn’t designed the OS and firmware in standalone to do it - which is just mind boggling since classic Akai samplers could disc stream via SCSI drives 20 years ago. :o :shock: :? This is something that users have been requesting and Akai has hinted as being worked on. Seeing as how they finally addressed multitimbral MIDI in 2.8, there’s a lot of hope that by 3.0 we’ll see proper disc streaming implementation.
DaveyG wrote:
29 May 2020

I occasionally try going mobile, talking the laptop or even just the iPad somewhere else with the fantasy that it will inspire different stuff but it almost always ends up with me getting frustrated that I don't have the full arsenal of weaponry at my fingertips and that I just can't get very much on the screen at once. I'd probably have the same feeling with an MPC.
I dunno - I think you might be surprised. I also have an iPad, iPhone, and a multitude of iOS apps/plugins and mobile utility hardware (such as a Korg nanoKey Studio controller) and ran into similar frustration as you when I was on the go. I’m frequently held up in hotel rooms with nothing to do and mobile music production is something I prefer to do instead of sitting in my room watching TV.

When I bring my MPC Live, it’s a whole other ballgame. Maybe it’s because it’s a specialized hardware controller that’s extremely well designed; maybe it’s the constraints and shortcomings that force you to be creative - I don’t know. But I’ll tell you this: give me my MPC Live and a mic, and I won’t touch my iPad or even wish I was sitting in front of my studio desktop.

That’s not to say I won’t eventually want to bring my project into Reason (or any DAW of preference) to finish it off, but the initial creative process on the Live is just a blast.

O1B

04 Jun 2020

Anybody working with one of these yet?

I just snagged one out in the Wild. Gets here next week - so they say.
The Perorder Dates are July 15th, July 31st, and even August 31st, which Suuuucks! - so, I hope my order is Legit.

I still have YET too have a KEYSTEP PRO shipped from one of those Covid'd Factories in the MidWest.
Anybody get their Keystep Pro, yet?

O1B

11 Jun 2020

It’s a Beaut! & sounds the Bizness. :thumbs_up: I’m talking just the Built-ins :thumbs_up:

My plan is to feed Elektrons n such into this MPC.
I traded my ONE for this. ONE had more buttons - but the buttons didn’t seem so ‘playable’
Once I can find and replicate all the button actions on the ONE and X, I’m off to the races.

What a Great Summer! :puf_bigsmile:
C2EE16F2-F7FA-400F-BF89-61AC8F3CD4B6.jpeg
C2EE16F2-F7FA-400F-BF89-61AC8F3CD4B6.jpeg (824.89 KiB) Viewed 5748 times

EnochLight

11 Jun 2020

O1B wrote:
11 Jun 2020
It’s a Beaut! & sounds the Bizness. :thumbs_up: I’m talking just the Built-ins :thumbs_up:

My plan is to feed Elektrons n such into this MPC.
I traded my ONE for this. ONE had more buttons - but the buttons didn’t seem so ‘playable’
Once I can find and replicate all the button actions on the ONE and X, I’m off to the races.

What a Great Summer! :puf_bigsmile:
C2EE16F2-F7FA-400F-BF89-61AC8F3CD4B6.jpeg

Totally - freaking love my Live 2!

2D5FE7F7-3B86-42F0-BA4B-6C371D1E7517.jpeg
2D5FE7F7-3B86-42F0-BA4B-6C371D1E7517.jpeg (155.5 KiB) Viewed 5729 times

O1B

12 Jun 2020

THAT - my Friends - is the way to Quarantine.

Lovin' your Digs! How're are those cool 'fire-like' effects on the tree trunks happening?

Very very cool, my man. Have FUN!
EnochLight wrote:
11 Jun 2020

EnochLight

12 Jun 2020

O1B wrote:
12 Jun 2020
THAT - my Friends - is the way to Quarantine.

Lovin' your Digs! How're are those cool 'fire-like' effects on the tree trunks happening?

Very very cool, my man. Have FUN!
EnochLight wrote:
11 Jun 2020

Heheh thanks, man! The landscaping lights are low voltage LED spots (2700K color). Took me about 20 minutes to install (cut a small trench with a shovel in the lawn, ran some heavy duty 12-Gauge low voltage cable from the patio to the back tree line). Much nicer than staring at blank abyss at night.

O1B

12 Jun 2020

Absolutely Brilliant!

Time to start from scratch. And I am willing to learn it all. It sounds the way I Dreamed.
I figure I have 30-40 years to catch up on. :redface:

Any pointers on a Good Video/Tutorial Series?? Please....?
Should I Live I? II? Older? Software? Workflow?

I could use some direction.... Thanks! :puf_smile:
EnochLight wrote:
12 Jun 2020

Heheh thanks, man! The landscaping lights are low voltage LED spots (2700K color). Took me about 20 minutes to install (cut a small trench with a shovel in the lawn, ran some heavy duty 12-Gauge low voltage cable from the patio to the back tree line). Much nicer than staring at blank abyss at night.

EnochLight

12 Jun 2020

O1B wrote:
12 Jun 2020
Absolutely Brilliant!

Time to start from scratch. And I am willing to learn it all. It sounds the way I Dreamed.
I figure I have 30-40 years to catch up on. :redface:

Any pointers on a Good Video/Tutorial Series?? Please....?
Should I Live I? II? Older? Software? Workflow?

I could use some direction.... Thanks! :puf_smile:
Akai has an entire video series on the Live 2 in their “Beats Academy” series. Check it out! But also watch the firmware 2.8 stuff. Even though it’s featured on the One, it applies to the Live 2. There’s a ton of improvements 2.8.

LIVE 2 series:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... KFjRlI3zqm

Firmware 2.8 improvements:

Crumbfort

25 Jan 2021

I'm contemplating picking up either an MPC Live II or an MPC One in the somewhat near future to (mainly) use with my eurorack system.

Having never actually used an MPC, I have a few questions...:

-How easy is it to sync the MPC to my DAWs clock/transport? (I would like to do so in order to record the euro system audio in sync/on the grid in Reaper)

-How easy is it to quickly record and sample one shots and build up a "kit" of sorts?

I'm also torn between the Live II and the One. I like that the Live II has 2x more sets of stereo outs, though I'm not sure if I would use them or not. The One does have more navigation buttons which lots of people really seem to like. I would likely like to use the MPC in other rooms of the house to mess around with stuff away from the studio (also a consideration).

What are your thoughts on Live II vs MPC One for purposes like mine?

Thanks!
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

EnochLight

25 Jan 2021

Crumbfort wrote:
25 Jan 2021
I'm contemplating picking up either an MPC Live II or an MPC One in the somewhat near future to (mainly) use with my eurorack system.

Having never actually used an MPC, I have a few questions...:

-How easy is it to sync the MPC to my DAWs clock/transport? (I would like to do so in order to record the euro system audio in sync/on the grid in Reaper)

-How easy is it to quickly record and sample one shots and build up a "kit" of sorts?

I'm also torn between the Live II and the One. I like that the Live II has 2x more sets of stereo outs, though I'm not sure if I would use them or not. The One does have more navigation buttons which lots of people really seem to like. I would likely like to use the MPC in other rooms of the house to mess around with stuff away from the studio (also a consideration).

What are your thoughts on Live II vs MPC One for purposes like mine?

Thanks!
I'm biased towards the MPC Live 2 as I have one, but I will say this: the MPC One is missing some critical features that may or may not bother you:
  • For starters, there is no SATA cradle on the MPC One, so you are limited to using SD Cards or USB sticks (or USB drives) to store your samples and projects on, which may be a deal breaker for some since they can be pulled off and lost easily.
  • BTW, you absolutely have to pick up either an SD Card or USB stick (or drive) to use with the MPC One, as the built-in storage is *NOT* meant to save projects, samples, or Expansions on (it's small and will fill up almost immediately - around 2GB of free space). It is strongly recommended that you leave the built-in storage alone and treat it as a ‘read only’ disk only.
  • With the MPC One you’ll have to physically remove any attached SD card or USB drive and manually connect it to a port on your computer. THEY ARE NOT ACCESSIBLE WHILE IN CONTROLLER MODE. :thumbs_down: On the Live 2, they are. :thumbs_up:
  • The MPC One is only USB 2.0, while the Live 2 uses USB 3.0, so USB speeds will be slower on the One.
  • There is no built-in battery, so it's obviously not easily mobile (though lithium-ion battery packs are always an option at an additional cost). I like the fact that the built-in battery on the MPC Live 2 also serves as a UPS, so during a power outage you'll never lose your work.
  • The built-in speaker is far more useful than you'd think, especially for a sampling monitor on the fly when you don't want to fire up your entire studio setup. Turn on your MPC Live 2, hook up your mobile phone or record player, and start sampling away!
  • Speaking of record player, the MPC One does *NOT* have RCA inputs. If you have a record player or plan to get one to sample vinyl, make sure it has line level outs.
  • Inputs/Outputs - the MPC Live 2 is the clear winner, having both more USB ports and more audio i/o.
Hope that helps!

Zac

26 Jan 2021

I suggest that you look at loopop's videos on the mpc one and live 2, he does a comparison of the two in one video...

https://loopopmusic.com/

I'm sure your questions are answered in there. He does great reviews IMO.

EnochLight

26 Jan 2021

..or.. he could read my post above. :D

But yeah, loopop’s videos are top notch (though he does miss some of the cons I mentioned above).

Crumbfort

26 Jan 2021

@EnochLight

Thanks for the detailed response! This in particular really stood out to me:

"With the MPC One you’ll have to physically remove any attached SD card or USB drive and manually connect it to a port on your computer. THEY ARE NOT ACCESSIBLE WHILE IN CONTROLLER MODE. :thumbs_down: On the Live 2, they are. "

That's a big one. It would drive me a bit crazy to have to remove the SD card/usb drive every time I wanted to transfer something over to the computer. That plus the extra outs probably pushes the Live 2 over the top for me. We'll see if I end up getting one (or if the gas passes :lol: ), but if I do I think it'll be the Live 2.

@Zac

Thanks for the link! I have watched that one, big fan of Loopop's videos in general, great reviewer.
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

• Information