What Synths can Self Generate?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
muckmclane

10 May 2020

ab459 wrote:
09 May 2020
Folks, just theoretical interest -is it possible to generate sound in VK-2 without appeal to sequencer\keys (and without gate\cv triggering thru cables in backward panel respectively). I mean - self-generate just thru some configuration in his front panel ? :puf_smile:

This got me thinking about all the Re's/Reason devices that do meet that criteria.

So far we have:

Synths:

Ammo
A-Series 1&2 Modular Synths
Complex 1 (thanks ab459, I dont own that one)
HazeMate noise(thanks ab459, go buy that one for me)
Little lfo
Movement
Murf vco
Murf Modrack noise
Pulsar
Thor(lfo 2 out and you could use lfo 2 to modulate it self for some interesting sounds)

VK osc
Vk1(global just set gate to on)
Vk2 ( in the far right 'control' turn off EG2
and in the far lower left in the Poly window switch it to Modular thanks to "Reasonable man")

Wbl5515 dual triple loop osc

Effects(no incoming audio):
D1-RT line noise injector RE
Etch red(high resonance)

Feedback loops seem a little bit outside the scope of the criteria as they require more than just a direct device out.
Last edited by muckmclane on 13 May 2020, edited 3 times in total.

Auryn

10 May 2020

Is that you TeflonTomb?

I think you forgot the VK Osc from the polymodular system! There's also the Ochen K A-series. I think you can get a lot of synths to self-generate if you connect an LFO out to the gate in.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

muckmclane

10 May 2020

Capture3.png
Capture3.png (149.85 KiB) Viewed 1487 times
Last edited by muckmclane on 06 Sep 2020, edited 4 times in total.

muckmclane

10 May 2020

Auryn wrote:
10 May 2020
Is that you TeflonTomb?

I think you forgot the VK Osc from the polymodular system! There's also the Ochen K A-series. I think you can get a lot of synths to self-generate if you connect an LFO out to the gate in.
no someone else here
Last edited by muckmclane on 13 May 2020, edited 1 time in total.

guitfnky

10 May 2020

if you’re including effects, which it seems you are, there’s also Pulveriser. I made what I lovingly refer to as a ‘Bleep Bloop Machine’ for the most recent song I’ve been working on, by dialing in a high resonance and assigning the random waveform to control the cutoff frequency. it’s not 100% independent though, so maybe it doesn’t quite meet your definition—you need to add something with a little bit of signal to kick it off (for me it was a percussion track I decided I didn’t really care for). either way though, it’s a neat little trick, and sounds great.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

muckmclane

11 May 2020

guitfnky wrote:
10 May 2020
if you’re including effects, which it seems you are, there’s also Pulveriser. I made what I lovingly refer to as a ‘Bleep Bloop Machine’ for the most recent song I’ve been working on, by dialing in a high resonance and assigning the random waveform to control the cutoff frequency. it’s not 100% independent though, so maybe it doesn’t quite meet your definition—you need to add something with a little bit of signal to kick it off (for me it was a percussion track I decided I didn’t really care for). either way though, it’s a neat little trick, and sounds great.

read above pal that doesn't count
Last edited by muckmclane on 13 May 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Sterioevo

11 May 2020

If pulveriser makes the list, the echo should too, via ext. loop.

ab459

11 May 2020

@muckmclane You forget add to list HazeMate https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... enerator2/
Good topic :thumbs_up:

muckmclane

11 May 2020

Sterioevo wrote:
11 May 2020
If pulveriser makes the list, the echo should too, via ext. loop.
I'm afraid Pulverizer's application to be added to the Parade was rejected, under the clause 1.3:"Feedback loops seem a little bit outside the scope of the criteria as they require more than just a direct device[AUDIO LINE] out."

That said I might start (or wakeup an old thread I am unaware of) a feedback loop thread in the future, as you can get some sounds using that method that are very unique, especially for those of us who have an appetite for noise.

ab459 wrote:
11 May 2020
@muckmclane You forget add to list HazeMate https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... enerator2/
Good topic :thumbs_up:
Yes I did and I when I saw you post that in the VK2 forum, I confused that with the D1-RT line noise injector that also has this self generating caqpability.

I thank you sir for bringing this topic up, which has caused many hibernating devices to awaken in my rack, all rested up and ready for The Official Self Generating Synthesizer 🎛 Parade of 2020(in 480p!). Some couldnt make it as you have not bought them for me yet:

ab459

11 May 2020

@muckmclane Fun video, ty.
Well, Etch was already in my to do list long time, but now i think it will definitely next purchase heh.
About HazeMate btw - actually i was forced to skip it in last sale, unfortunately ( Though almost had been grab, but occurred some money problems damn. So i still not have it too.
(But Complex1 really have, insane selfgen)

muckmclane

13 May 2020

ab459 wrote:
11 May 2020
@muckmclane Fun video, ty.
Well, Etch was already in my to do list long time, but now i think it will definitely next purchase heh.
About HazeMate btw - actually i was forced to skip it in last sale, unfortunately ( Though almost had been grab, but occurred some money problems damn. So i still not have it too.
(But Complex1 really have, insane selfgen)
I had not done anything with Etch Red for years until you mentioned this strict self generation notion in the VK2 thread.
And I will be a very happy man when you buy Complex 1 on Christmas day for me!
I will add Murf mod rack noise today to the list(his free stuff is really starting to get interesting with that new module!).
I am confident this list is fully up to date and that no one will make a suggestion we have not already thought of!

ab459

13 May 2020

muckmclane wrote:
13 May 2020
I had not done anything with Etch Red for years until you mentioned this strict self generation notion in the VK2 thread.
Just i heard many kind words about Etch filter before from other good users too, so, that fact that it even self-oscillate, significant pros.
muckmclane wrote:
13 May 2020
:puf_smile:
Well, actually i did got C1 just together with upgrade v10 to v11 suite. I'm not sure if i could bought it separately. So, i advise to do the same, instead single grabbing.
At the same time, I dare to ask you to buy me Etch then lol. (Joke)

muckmclane

14 May 2020

ab459 wrote:
13 May 2020
muckmclane wrote:
13 May 2020
Just i heard many kind words about Etch filter before from other good users too, so, that fact that it even self-oscillate, significant pros.
muckmclane wrote:
13 May 2020
:puf_smile:
Well, actually i did got C1 just together with upgrade v10 to v11 suite. I'm not sure if i could bought it separately. So, i advise to do the same, instead single grabbing.
At the same time, I dare to ask you to buy me Etch then lol. (Joke)

The best I can do for ya is record etch red singing like a sweet blue jay and tell you to throw that into grain.
The suite does not appeal to my situation, but feel free to post some examples of Complex in here, as it is crazy to have a 'Self Generating' thread, that gives examples of synths/effects that self generate and not have one for Complex.

ab459

14 May 2020

muckmclane wrote:
14 May 2020
The best I can do for ya is record etch red singing like a sweet blue jay and tell you to throw that into grain.
lol Thanks.
BTW, Do not remember whether there were discounts on Etch in Reason shop?
muckmclane wrote:
14 May 2020
but feel free to post some examples of Complex in here, as it is crazy to have a 'Self Generating' thread, that gives examples of synths/effects that self generate and not have one for Complex.
Frankly, as you would notice perhaps, i was puzzled a bit by that fact that for some reason i can't achieve selfgen from C1's LP filter, it's just not works for some reason (while from HP works properly).
This seemingly non-critical detail stopped down the entire research process lol. So, still trying to understand what's the matter.

muckmclane

15 May 2020

ab459 wrote:
14 May 2020

lol Thanks.
BTW, Do not remember whether there were discounts on Etch in Reason shop?

Frankly, as you would notice perhaps, i was puzzled a bit by that fact that for some reason i can't achieve selfgen from C1's LP filter, it's just not works for some reason (while from HP works properly).
This seemingly non-critical detail stopped down the entire research process lol. So, still trying to understand what's the matter.

I bought etch on sale I think in the early days.

I bet still even with that Hi pass only limitation, Complex's range of sound is way larger than Thor's, as the only feature that works at all for self generating is freakn lfo 2.
Lfo1, the oscillators, the filters the envelopes the volume will not influence that sound at all(including the mod matrix of course).
I get lfo2 modulating it's own speed multiples times and thats it.
Interesting both devices with this confusing inconsistency(Thor:lfo 2 works yet lfo1 is dead; Complex:hi pass works low pass is dead) are propellerhead devices.

You may be scratching your head for the rest of your life.

ab459

15 May 2020

muckmclane wrote:
15 May 2020
nteresting both devices with this confusing inconsistency(Thor:lfo 2 works yet lfo1 is dead; Complex:hi pass works low pass is dead) are propellerhead devices.
Lol really :puf_smile:
muckmclane wrote:
15 May 2020
You may be scratching your head for the rest of your life.
Currently trying to solve it with support (since no one users confirm issue in C1 topic)
The good news that support confirmed that it should works for both filters.

• Information