Supersaw Community ReFill

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
joeyluck

11 May 2020

There seems to be plenty of interest at ReasonTalk regarding supersaw sounds. I thought it would be fun to put together a community supersaw ReFill, using any built-in devices, REs, or VSTs. I’d love to see patches that people create using single devices as well as layering devices for big sounds. I feel like the focus on the type of sound, more than a specific device, will really help people hone in on a target and be able to contribute, and perhaps learn a little bit along the way.

I’m thinking of how best to organize these patches, and what rules would make that easiest. Let me know your thoughts. I think keeping Combinator patches limited to one, non-built-in device (whether RE or VST) would keep organization and patch browsing simplest. That would mean you could use as many Megasaurs with as many Thors as you want. Then I think that patch could live in the Megasaur Combinator folder, so that those who don’t own Megasaur can avoid it. I think it can become a little complicated and less enjoyable to browse if there are patches with multiple non-built-in devices (even though one of my typical combinations is Megasaur+MonoPoly). Does that approach make sense? Any opinions on this?

I’m also wondering if anybody is willing to help edit/curate the patches. This would include things like deciding on the best patches, giving tips on how patches can be improved (even simple things like mod wheel assignments), checking levels, sorting patches, determining if some patches are too similar and if names are redundant or not descriptive enough, etc. Also, deciding if patches fit the supersaw sound (with some leniency as this is an 'inspired by' ReFill). I don’t imagine all the patches I create will make the cut. We’ll see! I’m also horrible at patch names. Examples from me might be “Supersaw Stab 1” lol.

I’ve started a folder already with some of my patches. Once we reach a good amount, maybe 50 patches or more, we can pack the ReFill and share it. Then we can continue to release point updates. So who is interested? :puf_smile:

eusti

11 May 2020

I like super saws, but am no good at making or judging them... That said I would love it to not be a refill at all, especially with non Reason devices being part of this... I am much happier if I can just sort the patches into the appropriate places instead of having to go into the refill folder... But that is just me... ;)

D.

djs

11 May 2020

Flashback to the 90 trance! I have 1 supersaw patch ive been using for a decade to share.

joeyluck

11 May 2020

eusti wrote:
11 May 2020
I like super saws, but am no good at making or judging them... That said I would love it to not be a refill at all, especially with non Reason devices being part of this... I am much happier if I can just sort the patches into the appropriate places instead of having to go into the refill folder... But that is just me... ;)

D.
Well my thought is that with VSTs, they'll be saved as VST device patches (.fxp) as I have been doing, so they can all be browsed and loaded (RE and VST patches) from Reason's browser.

joeyluck

11 May 2020

djs wrote:
11 May 2020
Flashback to the 90 trance! I have 1 supersaw patch ive been using for a decade to share.
Awesome! :thumbs_up:

What do you use?

Oquasec

12 May 2020

There has to be a masterclass on udemy or something for RS.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

DaveyG

12 May 2020

joeyluck wrote:
11 May 2020
eusti wrote:
11 May 2020

D.
Well my thought is that with VSTs, they'll be saved as VST device patches (.fxp) as I have been doing, so they can all be browsed and loaded (RE and VST patches) from Reason's browser.
And also combinators with VSTs in them cannot be used in other DAWs.

joeyluck

12 May 2020

DaveyG wrote:
12 May 2020
joeyluck wrote:
11 May 2020

Well the focus here is on Reason. Whether it's Reason standalone or the Reason Rack Plugin. There will be fxp VST device patches and Combinator patches that can be used in Reason standalone.

DaveyG

12 May 2020

joeyluck wrote:
12 May 2020
DaveyG wrote:
12 May 2020

Well the focus here is on Reason. Whether it's Reason standalone or the Reason Rack Plugin. There will be fxp VST device patches and Combinator patches that can be used in Reason standalone.
I guess what I am saying is that any combinator patch that uses VSTs can't be used with Reason Rack so the useful audience for that patch is reduced to people who use Reason standalone and own that particular VST. If you stuck to only core instruments it finds a much larger audience.

joeyluck

12 May 2020

DaveyG wrote:
12 May 2020
joeyluck wrote:
12 May 2020

I guess what I am saying is that any combinator patch that uses VSTs can't be used with Reason Rack so the useful audience for that patch is reduced to people who use Reason standalone and own that particular VST. If you stuck to only core instruments it finds a much larger audience.
Well you can't load VST's in the Reason Rack Plugin anyways. I know people are going to want to include VST patches. It's for us. And users here use REs and VSTs. The more participation, the better.

And in a recent thread, I discovered that many users didn't realize they could save VST device patches (fxp). So I think this will be enjoyable to browse from Reason's browser. It will be organized—if you don't have a certain VST or RE, you simply don't go to that folder. So far, I've made a few patches for MonoPoly (RE), Malström, ZebraCM (VST), Zebra2 (VST), and Megasaur (RE).

Loque

12 May 2020

Interesting idea. While a super saw is probably one of the simpler patches, it might be interesting for some ppl starting with music making. Someone should first collect all super saw patches on this forum - they are all over the place :-D
Reason12, Win10

joeyluck

12 May 2020

Loque wrote:
12 May 2020
Interesting idea. While a super saw is probably one of the simpler patches, it might be interesting for some ppl starting with music making. Someone should first collect all super saw patches on this forum - they are all over the place :-D
Yeah I think so too. It should be pretty inviting for many people to give it a shot.

Of course, with any patches, we would definitely want those users to submit the patches themselves and/or have their permission. I’ll look around and reach out.

Loque

12 May 2020

joeyluck wrote:
12 May 2020
Loque wrote:
12 May 2020
Yeah I think so too. It should be pretty inviting for many people to give it a shot.

Of course, with any patches, we would definitely want those users to submit the patches themselves and/or have their permission. I’ll look around and reach out.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7508142&hilit=super+saw+patch
:lol:
Reason12, Win10

djs

12 May 2020

joeyluck wrote:
11 May 2020
djs wrote:
11 May 2020

What do you use?
It's a combinator with all the legacy devices- subtractor, malstrom, unison, delay, RV7000 reverb. Rotary knobs have filter control, decay, envelope amount.

joeyluck

12 May 2020

djs wrote:
12 May 2020
joeyluck wrote:
11 May 2020

What do you use?
It's a combinator with all the legacy devices- subtractor, malstrom, unison, delay, RV7000 reverb. Rotary knobs have filter control, decay, envelope amount.
Sounds great! I'll send you a PM :)

hurricane
Competition Winner

12 May 2020

DaveyG wrote:
12 May 2020
If you stuck to only core instruments it finds a much larger audience.
And it would be a very shitty supersaw collection.

So where do I send my patches?
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

hurricane
Competition Winner

12 May 2020

Nevermind - I just saw your message. :puf_smile:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

eXode

13 May 2020

Two very basic supersaw patches made with Europa and Thor.
Thor_and_Europa_EX.zip
(3.18 KiB) Downloaded 136 times

joeyluck

13 May 2020

eXode wrote:
13 May 2020
Two very basic supersaw patches made with Europa and Thor.

Thor_and_Europa_EX.zip
These are great! Thank you! :)

splitpen

13 May 2020

A pretty full packed lead like Above and Beyond - Sun and Moon. It contains the chordplayer and is set to B-major.
Edited the patch and skipped the vst effects for the refill, so it only included reason instruments and effects (Works in Reason 10.4 and above)
Attachments
Sun and Moon SS by split.zip
(20.94 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjzYHe3D8f8
Reasonstudios 11 Roland Quadcapture | AMD Ryzen 5900x|Elektron Analog Heat Mk2|Diy 3 way SB Acoustics/Scanspeak studiomonitors | AKG K702 | Key­sta­tion 61 MK3 |BCR2000 |X-Touch Ext | MP Midi

joeyluck

13 May 2020

splitpen wrote:
13 May 2020
A pretty full packed lead like Above and Beyond - Sun and Moon. It contains the chordplayer and is set to B-major.
Edited the patch and skipped the vst effects for the refill, so it only included reason instruments and effects (Works in Reason 10.4 and above)
Very cool! :thumbs_up: Thanks!

The knob that you have labeled as "DELAY", should that instead be "DECAY"?

I think for the buttons, since you don't have any assignments yet...
- You could assign one button to bypass all the Scales & Chords players (I'd say assign knobs to adjust these, but not enough knobs! Also, the Combinator doesn't make it easy/precise anyways for dialing in stepped parameters)
- Another button maybe to mute the sub? Particularly if bypassing Scales & Chords and freely playing polyphonically
- And maybe the other two for bypassing reverb and delay?

It plays great out of the box, but just considering if people want to play it freely.

TheDragonborg

13 May 2020

I usually use Hybrid (VST) for supersaw sounds these days... multi-wave + LPF with the drive mode set to bit depth or sample rate + unison and it sounds very close to the JP-8000.
Last edited by TheDragonborg on 14 May 2020, edited 1 time in total.

hurricane
Competition Winner

13 May 2020

joeyluck wrote:
13 May 2020
splitpen wrote:
13 May 2020

- You could assign one button to bypass all the Scales & Chords players (I'd say assign knobs to adjust these, but not enough knobs! Also, the Combinator doesn't make it easy/precise anyways for dialing in stepped parameters)
- Another button maybe to mute the sub? Particularly if bypassing Scales & Chords and freely playing polyphonically

It plays great out of the box, but just considering if people want to play it freely.

There are 80 devices in this one patch. :|
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Loque

14 May 2020

Is there a RT Combinator skin?
Reason12, Win10

splitpen

14 May 2020

joeyluck wrote:
13 May 2020
splitpen wrote:
13 May 2020

Thanks!

The mod wheel set as filter
1st button switch on/off Chords and lowered sub volume a bit when switched off.
(Too bad, though the chord players need to be on top of the synth, otherwise i could put them all on top for easy adjust)
2nd button set to sub on/off
3rd button Delay on/off
4th button Reverb on/off

Ran out of buttons to do more ;-)
Attachments
Sun and Moon SS by split.zip
(20.43 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjzYHe3D8f8
Reasonstudios 11 Roland Quadcapture | AMD Ryzen 5900x|Elektron Analog Heat Mk2|Diy 3 way SB Acoustics/Scanspeak studiomonitors | AKG K702 | Key­sta­tion 61 MK3 |BCR2000 |X-Touch Ext | MP Midi

• Information