Logic 10.5 is Out!!!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
hurricane
Competition Winner

12 May 2020

HUGE UPDATE!!! AND FREE:

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/05/ ... gic-pro-x/

What’s New
Version 10.5

Live Loops

• Compose music by arranging and triggering cells in a grid using loops, samples, and your recordings
• Perform and capture freeform arrangement ideas into the tracks area
• Add Remix FX to perform creative effects like filters, gates, repeaters, and bitcrusher
• Use Logic Remote on your iPad or iPhone to perform Live Loops and Remix FX using Multi-Touch gestures to trigger several loops or effects simultaneously

Sampler

• Create and edit sophisticated multi-sampled instruments using a drag and drop workflow
• New modern design provides synthesis, mapping, and zone editing in a single window interface
• Integrated zone editor offers detailed control over start, end and loop points
• Mapping editor enables fast and flexible assignment of samples across the keyboard
• Flex Time has been integrated into Sampler allowing sounds to be played at the same length, regardless of pitch
• Auto Sampler automates the process of converting MIDI-enabled hardware and software instruments into Sampler instruments
• Supports all existing EXS24 instruments

Quick Sampler

• Import a single audio file to instantly build a playable sampled instrument
• Quick Sampler automatically identifies the root note, optimal loop points, and matches your project tempo
• Use Slice mode to chop a vocal or drum sample into multiple slices that can be triggered on a keyboard
• Record live samples using a microphone, external hardware, or from any track or bus

Drum Machine Designer

• Use Drum Machine Designer to build custom drum kits by dragging and organizing samples
• Directly access Quick Sampler or Drum Synth controls on any pad
• Easily assign any instrument or third-party plug-in to a pad
• Perform any sound chromatically to create bass lines or other melodic parts

Step Sequencer

• Build your own beats, melodies and effect automation using an interface inspired by classic drum machine workflows
• Create and edit patterns with discrete control over velocity, repeat, chance, offset, step rate, skip and tie for each row
• Use any patch as a sound source, including custom kits made with Quick Sampler and Drum Machine Designer
• Includes a library of over 150 rhythmic and melodic patterns

More Content

• Over 2,500 new loops in a variety of instruments and genres covering modern and classic hip-hop, electro house, reggaeton, future bass, techno, and transition effects
• 17 Live Loops starter grids covering a range of electronic and hip-hop genres
• More than 70 new Drum Machine Designer kits
• Over 1,500 new patches
• Original multi-track project of Billie Eilish “Ocean Eyes”

Additional Features

• The Drum Synth plug-in generates synthesized kicks, snares, toms, and hi-hats with dedicated sound shaping controls
• Individual or multiple audio files or software instrument regions can be dragged into an empty track header to provide instant options for creating Sampler, Quick Sampler, Drum Machine Designer, or Alchemy instruments
• Multiple additional enhancements and stability improvements
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

EdGrip

12 May 2020

Wow. That's a blow for Ableton and Bitwig!

hurricane
Competition Winner

12 May 2020

This Quick Sampler was one of my biggest wishes. It's how I use the NN19 currently - to quickly drag and drop a drum sample on it and play it without any fuss. Quick Sampler is basically that - and it's probably the least flashy module in this update but man, is this going to be useful:

quick sampler.png
quick sampler.png (239.84 KiB) Viewed 2906 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

hurricane
Competition Winner

12 May 2020

Hell yes - now you can drag an audio file to the track region and you get auto-created instrument options:
audioinst.png
audioinst.png (184.83 KiB) Viewed 2902 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

DaveyG

12 May 2020

I confess to having DAW envy. I just can't justify the price of a Mac though. I thought about getting an older, lower-powered one but one thing Apple are not good at is supporting older stuff.

joeyluck

12 May 2020

Ahhh!

I'm currently trialing Logic (version 10.4), but looks like the Logic 10.5 would require me to update my OS. My computer is compatible, but I don't want to do that right now.

hurricane
Competition Winner

12 May 2020

Billie Eilish and her producer/brother, Finneas, are Logic fanatics, and it's nice seeing one of their projects included in this update:

billielogic.jpg
billielogic.jpg (213.87 KiB) Viewed 2891 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

hurricane
Competition Winner

12 May 2020

joeyluck wrote:
12 May 2020
Ahhh!

I'm currently trialing Logic (version 10.4), but looks like the Logic 10.5 would require me to update my OS. My computer is compatible, but I don't want to do that right now.
You can update to Mojave - I've been on it for a while and nothing ever broke. And I have tons of stuff that could have broken.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

jwd606

12 May 2020

Quick sampler looks like a useful Recycle Dr Octo rex combo.

pongasoft
RE Developer

12 May 2020

hurricane wrote:
12 May 2020
joeyluck wrote:
12 May 2020
Ahhh!

You can update to Mojave - I've been on it for a while and nothing ever broke. And I have tons of stuff that could have broken.
I just upgraded to Mojave (from High Sierra) as well a few days ago (I have a macbook pro mid 2014!) and it was a very painless upgrade and so far I have not had any issue. I did not want to upgrade to the latest (Catalina) due to the drop of support for 32bits...

Yan

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

12 May 2020

Great news! An updated sampler and sequencer were my top feature requests. And free? Wow.

joeyluck

12 May 2020

pongasoft wrote:
12 May 2020
hurricane wrote:
12 May 2020

I just upgraded to Mojave (from High Sierra) as well a few days ago (I have a macbook pro mid 2014!) and it was a very painless upgrade and so far I have not had any issue. I did not want to upgrade to the latest (Catalina) due to the drop of support for 32bits...

Yan
Ok cool. Yeah looks like Apple makes it easier by still making older versions available on their support site (it used to be a pain to track down old versions/installers). I'm on High Sierra now and everything is running great, so I haven't had a need to upgrade yet.

hurricane
Competition Winner

12 May 2020

My OS update schedule is pretty much Logic based. A soon as Logic requires Catalina and higher, I'll update to Catalina, and not to whatever may be current. It's safer that way.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

joeyluck

12 May 2020

Now if they could only update it with the simple (and seemingly very basic) option to have the default track names take the name of the plugins, if it can't grab the patch name :D

hurricane
Competition Winner

12 May 2020

jwd606 wrote:
12 May 2020
Quick sampler looks like a useful Recycle Dr Octo rex combo.
Yup, this is basically a beefed up ReCycle as a plugin. You can drag and drop the file to the sequencer and it turns into a rex-file like midi clip. But you can't export as REX of course.

thenewrecycle.png
thenewrecycle.png (466.81 KiB) Viewed 2842 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

hurricane
Competition Winner

12 May 2020

I'd say the number one thing Logic users have been waiting for is a redesigned EXS24 sampler, and we finally got it. It completely takes over for the old workhorse EXS24, and the old sampler surprisingly didn't even make it to the Legacy folder. It's completely gone. It's a little sad for some of us who spent countless hours inside that thing. Luckily, all our sampler instruments work just fine, and it's resizable:

newexs24.jpg
newexs24.jpg (232.28 KiB) Viewed 2818 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

hurricane
Competition Winner

12 May 2020

Man, so much stuff in this update - the updated step sequencer is like a Reason player built into the sequencer:

steps.png
steps.png (212.66 KiB) Viewed 2811 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

fieldframe
RE Developer

12 May 2020

joeyluck wrote:
12 May 2020
Now if they could only update it with the simple (and seemingly very basic) option to have the default track names take the name of the plugins, if it can't grab the patch name :D
Yes! I’m new to Logic (on the 90-day demo) but the way it works with AUs feels awkward. Why doesn’t Apple show AUs in the library panel instead of burying them in the software instrument menu? I know the enormous first-party bundle is one of Logic’s main draws, but even Reason’s VST browsing seems way ahead of how Logic treats third-party AU.

hurricane
Competition Winner

12 May 2020

fieldframe wrote:
12 May 2020
Yes! I’m new to Logic (on the 90-day demo) but the way it works with AUs feels awkward. Why doesn’t Apple show AUs in the library panel instead of burying them in the software instrument menu? I know the enormous first-party bundle is one of Logic’s main draws, but even Reason’s VST browsing seems way ahead of how Logic treats third-party AU.
That's just how it's always been. If you really wanted to, you could create the menu yourself, but that would require you to create and save a Channel Strip of each instrument so it shows up in the Library. Then next time you want to load one, you'd just open the library and click on the synth.

aulibrary.png
aulibrary.png (88.81 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Steedus
Competition Winner

12 May 2020

The new step sequencer looks really great. And the improvements to the Drum Designer. Can the Reason Drum Sequencer do the thing with reversing playback for individual lanes? I haven't had a chance to play around with it much yet.

miscend

12 May 2020

hurricane wrote:
12 May 2020
Man, so much stuff in this update - the updated step sequencer is like a Reason player built into the sequencer:

steps.png
Reminds me of the drum sequencer player. It even has note repeat like the drum sequencer.

miscend

12 May 2020

Steedus wrote:
12 May 2020
Can the Reason Drum Sequencer do the thing with reversing playback for individual lanes? I haven't had a chance to play around with it much yet.
It cannot, AFAIK is only possible if you print to the sequencer and use the midi notes reverse function.

Yonatan

13 May 2020

I noticed quite some features added are things where Reason had a little advantage (direct sampling etc). Now Logic added those as well as an answer to Ableton Live Clip Session. Just barely able to update it on my older Macbook after going into the unknown Catalina land (yes it was the dark mode that got the hold of me) of "missing support" for some other applications as well as a heck of a mess when Logic where scanning the AU folder. And trying to "relocate" Sound library to external HDD got error message. Will try to reinstall everything from scratch. Seems one would do good with an iPad with the new Live feature with Logic Remote. Someday...

teddymcw

13 May 2020

Looks like there is some really interesting stuff in Logic that makes important things like transitions, groove matching and video syncing relatively easy. I may be prompted to mess around with this despite the draining time investment.

Does anyone know if one can access the Reason Rack from Garageband?

What are the killer features of Logic that anyone is finding just incomparably better than or even not doable at all in Reason?

joeyluck

13 May 2020

teddymcw wrote:
13 May 2020
Looks like there is some really interesting stuff in Logic that makes important things like transitions, groove matching and video syncing relatively easy. I may be prompted to mess around with this despite the draining time investment.

Does anyone know if one can access the Reason Rack from Garageband?

What are the killer features of Logic that anyone is finding just incomparably better than or even not doable at all in Reason?
For me it's MPE support. But even GarageBand has MPE support.

Also video support and score edit.

The RRP doesn't work in GarageBand.

• Information