VST to compete with Virus sounds?

Discuss VST stuff here!
BRIGGS

10 May 2020

:puf_smile: About Super saw on Europa...

I've been doing some testing. As far as I can tell, the nasty metallic sound is coming from the onboard reverb. If I turn it off, and use a high quality reverb, the metallic sound is gone. YMMV
r11s

splitpen

10 May 2020

hurricane wrote:
09 May 2020
Here are 3 of my Hive supersaw patches. Each one uses a different synth engine.

SS_Massive Euphoria = Dirty. The Airwave patch in the demo I posted above. I would describe the dirty synth engine as being somewhat dark, and more in your face.
LD_Gouryella = Clean. The clean synth engine is wide, and kind of bright and airy. The distort effect provides the fizz. Turn it off to see what I mean.
LD_JustlikeMyJP = Normal. The normal synth engine has the squelchier JP resonance. See for yourself by setting filter 1's cutoff to about 53 and resonance to 60. Now hit some notes as you switch between clean, normal, and dirty. Note the resonance difference. This is how the real JP-8080 sounds. I copied this patch off my JP and Hive does it EXACTLY like the JP-8080. The Synaesthesia demo I posted earlier uses this synth engine and it is essential to making it sound right.

Presets attached.
Nice one Hurricane, thanks for sharing. :thumbs_up:
Edited the "SS_Massive Euphoria_Hurricane (Dirty)" a bit, to make it little more airy and have set the modwheel as filter cut off. The SL set to slow in the matrix sounds very nice :D
Attachments
SS Airwave (Airy).zip
(3.65 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjzYHe3D8f8
Reasonstudios 11 Roland Quadcapture | AMD Ryzen 5900x|Elektron Analog Heat Mk2|Diy 3 way SB Acoustics/Scanspeak studiomonitors | AKG K702 | Key­sta­tion 61 MK3 |BCR2000 |X-Touch Ext | MP Midi

hurricane
Competition Winner

10 May 2020

Two totally different patches.

No offense but I prefer my version, and here's why. The playability factor. I enjoy playing mine. The reason why I called it "Massive Euphoria" is because of the feeling you get when playing this patch with 2 hands. Chords with the right hand, doubled bass octaves with the left hand. Tell me that doesn't sound nice! The attack on yours is way too high. Yours is almost pad-like. For my airwave demo, I DID raise the attack a tiny bit, but not that much. And you're using a mini midi controller of some sort? Is that why you lowered the octaves? Makes it awkward playing it on a standard 88 key. And by switching it to the Clean synth engine, you kind of lessened the impact, as the dirty mode is more centered/less wide. Mapping the mod wheel to frequency is handy, but I usually play my patch with 2 hands (I guess I could use my chin to move the mod wheel), and prefer to automate cutoff for THIS patch using my DAW.

Anyway, point of all this is, HIVE IS AWESOME. :mrgreen:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

joeyluck

10 May 2020

hurricane wrote:
10 May 2020

No offense but I prefer my version, and here's why. The playability factor. I enjoy playing mine. The reason why I called it "Massive Euphoria" is because of the feeling you get when playing this patch with 2 hands. Chords with the right hand, doubled bass octaves with the left hand. Tell me that doesn't sound nice! The attack on yours is way too high. Yours is almost pad-like. For my airwave demo, I DID raise the attack a tiny bit, but not that much. And you're using a mini midi controller of some sort? Is that why you lowered the octaves? Makes it awkward playing it on a standard 88 key. And by switching it to the Clean synth engine, you kind of lessened the impact, as the dirty mode is more centered/less wide. Mapping the mod wheel to frequency is handy, but I usually play my patch with 2 hands (I guess I could use my chin to move the mod wheel), and prefer to automate cutoff for THIS patch using my DAW.

When I'm programming and playing with super saw patches, I like to use Scales and Chords with the Anthem patch. Instant epicness.

I wonder if there would be enough interest to create a community ReFill, focused on super saw (and super saw inspired) patches.

splitpen

10 May 2020

hurricane wrote:
10 May 2020

Man, you're good at making friendly comments and support the kindness on the forum👍🏻
Reasonstudios 11 Roland Quadcapture | AMD Ryzen 5900x|Elektron Analog Heat Mk2|Diy 3 way SB Acoustics/Scanspeak studiomonitors | AKG K702 | Key­sta­tion 61 MK3 |BCR2000 |X-Touch Ext | MP Midi

hurricane
Competition Winner

10 May 2020

Lol, well I did start it off with "no offense". 😬
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

DaveyG

10 May 2020

hurricane wrote:
10 May 2020
"No offence" being right up near the top of the Passive Aggressive league table.
I'm not being rude but...

dezma

10 May 2020

I used to use spire yet now I always fall back one one of my 3 go-to's:

Avenger
Pigments
Dune3

If you don't have a lot of cpu go for dune3 it's efficiency is ridiculous. Oh and pigments is quite the opposite btw.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

10 May 2020

Post a midi clip, so we all can use the same chords etc to compare, rather than having the examples okay different things.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

EdGrip

10 May 2020

DaveyG wrote:
10 May 2020
hurricane wrote:
10 May 2020
"No offence" being right up near the top of the Passive Aggressive league table.
With all due respect,

hurricane
Competition Winner

10 May 2020

EdGrip wrote:
10 May 2020
DaveyG wrote:
10 May 2020

With all due respect,
I mean this in the nicest way possible, but...
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

DaveyG

10 May 2020

hurricane wrote:
10 May 2020
EdGrip wrote:
10 May 2020

With all due respect,
I wuz just sayin' ;)

hurricane
Competition Winner

10 May 2020

joeyluck wrote:
10 May 2020

I wonder if there would be enough interest to create a community ReFill, focused on super saw (and super saw inspired) patches.
If we could use VSTs, this would be great. I don't ever want to stack Thors or Europas ever again. :|
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

joeyluck

11 May 2020

hurricane wrote:
10 May 2020
joeyluck wrote:
10 May 2020

If we could use VSTs, this would be great. I don't ever want to stack Thors or Europas ever again. :|
Haha, yeah well, at least save them as VST device patches instead. And maybe make a few using Reason devices :) I don't see why there couldn't be separate folders for each device, whether RE or VST. I'd love to see individual device patches, but also people's creativity. I'd be down to try to make a few. If anybody else is interested, we can make a separate thread.

splitpen

11 May 2020

joeyluck wrote:
11 May 2020
hurricane wrote:
10 May 2020

Haha, yeah well, at least save them as VST device patches instead. And maybe make a few using Reason devices :) I don't see why there couldn't be separate folders for each device, whether RE or VST. I'd love to see individual device patches, but also people's creativity. I'd be down to try to make a few. If anybody else is interested, we can make a separate thread.

Great idea :thumbs_up:

eXode

11 May 2020

BRIGGS wrote:
10 May 2020

I've been doing some testing. As far as I can tell, the nasty metallic sound is coming from the onboard reverb. If I turn it off, and use a high quality reverb, the metallic sound is gone. YMMV
One of my biggest gripes with Europa is that the tuning curve for the unison section is quite terrible.

tumar

11 May 2020

Mataya wrote:
04 May 2020
But if you want Virus sound, you'll need to buy Virus.
M
This (+ maybe Tone 2 Gladiator).
I had Virus C, Virus Powercore and now I have Virus Snow (TI). No vst synth came close to Virus sound. Yes, you can tweak some similar supersaw sounds but one move on Virus knobs and you have to search through all those vst again ;) Virus covers any type of sound and makes it perfectly in each case: kick, bass, lead, pad, fx...
Maelstrom, Europa, Thor? Please, jokes aside...

splitpen

11 May 2020

eXode wrote:
11 May 2020
BRIGGS wrote:
10 May 2020

One of my biggest gripes with Europa is that the tuning curve for the unison section is quite terrible.

Share the same feelings..
Last weekend i was trying out a bit. When you use the unison as modifier, it definitely sounds like the effect is frequency dependent, with less effect going up in the scale.
If you set "key" as the source in the mod matrix, and the destination to the oscilator mod at 100%, you can play with the amount for a more and less effect. This way it will be more present over the whole key range.
Attachments
SS LEAD Europa.zip
(2.44 KiB) Downloaded 43 times

eXode

11 May 2020

splitpen wrote:
11 May 2020
eXode wrote:
11 May 2020

Share the same feelings..
Last weekend i was trying out a bit. When you use the unison as modifier, it definitely sounds like the effect is frequency dependent, with less effect going up in the scale.
If you set "key" as the source in the mod matrix, and the destination to the oscilator mod at 100%, you can play with the amount for a more and less effect. This way it will be more present over the whole key range.
Yes, the problem with the unison modifier is that it changes the sound when running another sample rate. I discovered it by chance a while back and have reported it as a bug.

eXode

11 May 2020

Here's a short example with four synths. Each synth is set to 7 unison voices, maximum stereo width, and detuning amount set to 12 o clock (i.e. 50%).

1. Europa
2. Antidote
3. Expanse
4. Serum.

Super-saw-synths.mp3
(753.06 KiB) Downloaded 104 times

splitpen

11 May 2020

Antidote and expanse sound closer to each other. Serum sounds like a way different detuning algo?

eXode

11 May 2020

splitpen wrote:
11 May 2020
Antidote and expanse sound closer to each other. Serum sounds like a way different detuning algo?
Not necessarily another algorithm (according to the settings it's linear, same as expanse), but Serum likely uses a wider pitch range.

Biolumin3sc3nt

11 May 2020

hurricane wrote:
10 May 2020
EdGrip wrote:
10 May 2020

With all due respect,

BRIGGS

11 May 2020

eXode wrote:
11 May 2020
I don't know. Sounds good to me. But, I'm not listening to it, in isolation. I tend to like fat stacks. :puf_smile:

Last edited by BRIGGS on 11 May 2020, edited 1 time in total.
r11s

Spryx

11 May 2020

eXode wrote:
11 May 2020
BRIGGS wrote:
10 May 2020

Same... This my big gripe with Europa. It could easily compete with the best VSTs but RS chose a terrible unison detuning algorithm.
latest:

• Information