music is magic

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
demt

09 May 2020

well ive heard the phrase, music is the nearest proffesion to magic, and im inclined to believe in our ability to slip between the 2 genres hears sum examples of its healing powers
https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blo ... gic-music
but im at a loss with the real magic sorta now you c it now you dont and pull a rabbit out of a hat anyway does it merely affect the mind or is there more to it , The amount of times ive said abracafixit to my computer and lo and behold its fixed is enough to covince me magik and science and music run allong side and id luv to hear how magik fits into others lives as well, as its fairly obvious that everybody is magik in some way,and our music enhances that.
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

jam-s

10 May 2020

pushedbutton

10 May 2020

magic is science you don't understand.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

rgdaniel

10 May 2020

pushedbutton wrote:
10 May 2020
magic is science you don't understand.
Nice. Even more concise than Clarke's third law:
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarke%27s_three_laws

Proboscis

11 May 2020

I think The Great Beast was switched on to something....

Magick, in the context of Aleister Crowley's Thelema, is a term used to show and differentiate the occult from performance magic and is defined as "the Science and Art of causing Change to occur in conformity with Will", including "mundane" acts of will as well as ritual magic.

Crowley wrote that "it is theoretically possible to cause in any object any change of which that object is capable by nature

Crowley saw Magick as the essential method for a person to reach true understanding of the self and to act according to one's true will, which he saw as the reconciliation "between freewill and destiny.".

Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magick_(Thelema)

Tiny Montgomery

11 May 2020

Proboscis wrote:
11 May 2020

Magick, in the context of Aleister Crowley's Thelema, is a term used to show and differentiate the occult from performance magic and is defined as "the Science and Art of causing Change to occur in conformity with Will", including "mundane" acts of will as well as ritual magic.

Crowley wrote that "it is theoretically possible to cause in any object any change of which that object is capable by nature

Crowley saw Magick as the essential method for a person to reach true understanding of the self and to act according to one's true will, which he saw as the reconciliation "between freewill and destiny.".

Source:
Yeah, I remember that rabbit hole from my early 20s.

The trouble with Crowley is that he was a disgusting human being and almost certainly a child abuser.

These days I find his hidden but undoubted influence on popular culture (many examples of which had been touchstones for me) sinister rather than cool or interesting as I did when younger.

motuscott

11 May 2020

Any sufficiently advanced technology is bound to have track folders
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 May 2020

Tiny Montgomery wrote:
11 May 2020
Proboscis wrote:
11 May 2020

Source:

The trouble with Crowley is that he was a disgusting human being and almost certainly a child abuser.

These days I find his hidden but undoubted influence on popular culture (many examples of which had been touchstones for me) sinister rather than cool or interesting as I did when younger.
Forget Crowley. Some good ideas but ripped off for the most part. Austin Osman Spare is your man. Now there you can find magickal innovation.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Tiny Montgomery

11 May 2020

MrFigg wrote:
11 May 2020
Tiny Montgomery wrote:
11 May 2020

Forget Crowley. Some good ideas but ripped off for the most part. Austin Osman Spare is your man. Now there you can find magickal innovation.
Dude, I even had a go at doing a sigil once....

Tiny Montgomery

11 May 2020

You know what it's probably not true to say I don't find this stuff interesting anymore as I'm still fascinated by it but from a different angle.

There's a whole hidden - occult if you will - history of the 20th century represented by, and the connections between, people like Crowley, Hubbard, Jack Parsons et al that in many ways shape the world we live in today, and not just pop culture.

Tiny Montgomery

11 May 2020

It still blows my mind that one of the founding fathers of space travel was seriously practicing the occult of an evening. And then "blew himself up in an experiment gone wrong" lol

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 May 2020

Tiny Montgomery wrote:
11 May 2020
It still blows my mind that one of the founding fathers of space travel was seriously practicing the occult of an evening. And then "blew himself up in an experiment gone wrong" lol
I had a short period of correspondence with Kenneth Grant at the start of the 90s around the same time as folk like Ray Sherwin and Phil Hine we’re churning out books in chaos magick. Was some pretty interesting discussions but at the end of the day I always found Thelema to be just as static and dogmatic as all the other systems.
Sigilisation always worked for me. Techniques were of course modified and adapted haha :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Tiny Montgomery

11 May 2020

MrFigg wrote:
11 May 2020
Tiny Montgomery wrote:
11 May 2020
I had a short period of correspondence with Kenneth Grant at the start of the 90s around the same time as folk like Ray Sherwin and Phil Hine we’re churning out books in chaos magick. Was some pretty interesting discussions but at the end of the day I always found Thelema to be just as static and dogmatic as all the other systems.
Sigilisation always worked for me. Techniques were of course modified and adapted haha :).
Yeah think I might have picked up one or two books like that in the 90s. Do you remember a zine called Rapid Eye Movement? Read some collected works when I was 18 or 19 which started me off on this interest in the esoteric and countercultural. But my interest in the mechanics of occult practice would have been dillentantish and shallow at best. I'm more interested in the fact that people take it seriously at all, and that some apparently very serious people take it seriously - it represents to me a facet of a hidden history.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 May 2020

Tiny Montgomery wrote:
11 May 2020
MrFigg wrote:
11 May 2020

Yeah think I might have picked up one or two books like that in the 90s. Do you remember a zine called Rapid Eye Movement? Read some collected works when I was 18 or 19 which started me off on this interest in the esoteric and countercultural. But my interest in the mechanics of occult practice would have been dillentantish and shallow at best. I'm more interested in the fact that people take it seriously at all, and that some apparently very serious people take it seriously - it represents to me a facet of a hidden history.
I’ve mentioned my involvement with TOPY in the mid 80s to the start of the 90s a number of times on this forum and all I can say is that magick definitely works. The thing is though that after a while you (or I at least) start to realize that being able to “force the hand of chance” is akin to a parlour game and that is when the real work begins :).
Rapid Eye was a great publication. I’ve still got the coffee table edition of the first book :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Tiny Montgomery

11 May 2020

I do remember you having something to say when Gen P died yes. I did not know you were an initiate as it were!

They must have been heady times!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 May 2020

Tiny Montgomery wrote:
11 May 2020
I do remember you having something to say when Gen P died yes. I did not know you were an initiate as it were!

They must have been heady times!
I wasn’t an initiate but I was actively involved within the network. Having an Eden number felt too much like being part of an organization and that went against what TOPY meant for me personally. My friends ran the Access Point in Glasgow. After a trip to Brighton in which they dared to question Genesis on his motives and why he was making efforts to attain God like status among the faithful (hahaha) they came back to a letter saying they were expelled. Hahahaha
Can’t remember if I said but I was contacted a while ago by a woman who’s making a documentary on Thee Temple. She wanted to come to Stockholm and do an interview but once I started telling her some home truths about Gen and how much he lied and manipulated folk who followed him blindly she ceased all contact. Truth will set you free I guess. Hahahahaha. Oh well.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 May 2020

By the way...it’s much easier learning Swedish than it is learning Enochian.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

plaamook

13 May 2020

1) Music Magic
I actually miss being able to hear music as magic. Once I got my head around production and started to unpick what I heard the spell was sort of broken but I remember when it was like an auditory halucination. I still love it but the magic now is in the journey of creation.

2) The other kind of magic
I always think its funny that you get people trying to prove telekenesis... and I think 'Just lift your arm!'
Point being the ordinary stuff is already so far out, you don't need to look very far to find 'magic'
Unless you can produce money with divination. Then I'm in.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 May 2020

abra kebab ra
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

jam-s

13 May 2020