Chord Detector Player (Free Update! Nov. 5 2019)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Socram
RE Developer

18 May 2018

Pralijah wrote:
18 May 2018
Two suggestion that would make it more user friendly from my own experience.

1) To shorten the chord names as much as possible on the display, to be simular to the ones that are displayed in "Scales & Chords".
Instead of "C minor 7", just to display "Cm7", "C7" instead of "C dominant 7" etc. For me, I´m so much more used to seeing the short standard chord names so that writing it differently, makes it more tiresome for my eyes to use. I want to see it instantly in standard formation. And also that different voicings could be shortened and made subtler and put apart from the standard chord-name; or that one can switch manually how much detailed info one wants to be displayed about the chord.

2) To fully delete the message "Awaiting midi signal". Why? Because often the chords are quite rapid in their changes and then this message makes it too confusing for the eye, as it gets in there every little space between chord changes.
Thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated.

As far as #1, I intended for this device to be informative and precise. For example a lot of people might see "C7" by itself and assume that's a C Major 7, since "C" by itself is C Major. However as you know, C7 is actually a C Dominant 7. I wanted to make this as clear as possible, the real full name and the shorthand together. I can look into providing some options here, but I feel like I covered the bases while also ensuring the tool can be used for education reasons to learn chords.

#2 I can agree with, I will be adding a delay to it so it doesn't show in between quick chord changes, I will try to have that and another feature request in by the end of the month, Props willing :).
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and AutoLatch.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

Pralijah

18 May 2018

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I understand the educational bit in it and that it can be tricky to write all of them different.
Have seen it displayed CM7 in some places (but gets too similar to Cm7). I prefer Cmaj7. Not the biggest issue though. But give it a thought in the longer run, if wanting to develop it later on. Maybe have a special educational mode(s) for beginners that is more explainable.

My main point, that you also agreed upon, was the midi-data-message. If putting longer delay could fix it, that would make it a lot clearer.

This feedback came from trying the player on midi-files taken in from a Toontrack EZKeys Jazz lane. As tasks like that is what would be very handy for many. The chords inside EZKeys are always shown on the piano-picture. But when dragging the midi lane into Reason sequencer one can not see the same chord-progression in the EZKeys VST if it is triggered from Reason own sequencer. So your player comes well to pass in that kind of field!
Make music shake again!

Re8et
Competition Winner

18 May 2018

Socram wrote:
18 May 2018
Pralijah wrote:
18 May 2018
Two suggestion that would make it more user friendly from my own experience.

1) To shorten the chord names as much as possible on the display, to be simular to the ones that are displayed in "Scales & Chords".
Instead of "C minor 7", just to display "Cm7", "C7" instead of "C dominant 7" etc. For me, I´m so much more used to seeing the short standard chord names so that writing it differently, makes it more tiresome for my eyes to use. I want to see it instantly in standard formation. And also that different voicings could be shortened and made subtler and put apart from the standard chord-name; or that one can switch manually how much detailed info one wants to be displayed about the chord.

2) To fully delete the message "Awaiting midi signal". Why? Because often the chords are quite rapid in their changes and then this message makes it too confusing for the eye, as it gets in there every little space between chord changes.
Thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated.

As far as #1, I intended for this device to be informative and precise. For example a lot of people might see "C7" by itself and assume that's a C Major 7, since "C" by itself is C Major. However as you know, C7 is actually a C Dominant 7. I wanted to make this as clear as possible, the real full name and the shorthand together. I can look into providing some options here, but I feel like I covered the bases while also ensuring the tool can be used for education reasons to learn chords.

#2 I can agree with, I will be adding a delay to it so it doesn't show in between quick chord changes, I will try to have that and another feature request in by the end of the month, Props willing :).
I'd like to add anothe suggestion to the delay mentioned here. It would be also cool if the notes progression could be stored in maybe the bottom portion of the visualizer, like Cm1+D3+Fm1+etc , like it had a small memory buffer, and maybe a stored loop cv out to play that back separtedly, it would be ubercool and I also think useful. Not like buffre but for polycv, way more simpler than that, more like tap-in, tap-out or fixed rate. Maybe split in a new device is more simple.... :?: :redface:

motuscott

18 May 2018

Thanks for this tool. Much appreciated.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Pralijah

19 May 2018

Re8et wrote:
18 May 2018

I'd like to add anothe suggestion to the delay mentioned here. It would be also cool if the notes progression could be stored in maybe the bottom portion of the visualizer, like Cm1+D3+Fm1+etc , like it had a small memory buffer, and maybe a stored loop cv out to play that back separtedly, it would be ubercool and I also think useful. Not like buffre but for polycv, way more simpler than that, more like tap-in, tap-out or fixed rate. Maybe split in a new device is more simple.... :?: :redface:
That was a very good suggestion with the storing of the chord progression! Would be lovely.
Make music shake again!

Socram
RE Developer

19 May 2018

Thanks for the suggestions guys! They've all been noted, I'll see what I can do to squeeze them into the interface.
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and AutoLatch.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

Socram
RE Developer

21 May 2018

I've extended the Player Promo sale throughout the rest of May Madness due to the ongoing demand, so there's some extra time for anyone on the fence who wants to get it at the intro price.

I've also submitted an update (v1.1) for approval, the free update adds a "Hold Length" knob to the back of the device, giving you the option to have the current Hold automatically clear if X amount of time passes since the last input. It defaults to the current functionality, which is a manual toggle to reset.

The update also adds a 2 second delay before showing the "Awaiting MIDI..." text between detections, to reduce visual clutter.

The update should be available by the end of the week.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

Socram
RE Developer

05 Nov 2019

Howdy guys!

I've just released a free update for Chord Detector that reskins the device to be consistent with Delta (and future devices) and also adds the first of hopefully many "alternate tool modes". This one is called Velocity Monitor, which shows you the velocity of the MIDI passing through the device, both color coded and numerically. You can set the device to Velocity Monitor with a dropdown on the back.

Front_VelMon_sZLHpXx.png.10000x10000_q85.jpg
Front_VelMon_sZLHpXx.png.10000x10000_q85.jpg (21.86 KiB) Viewed 2583 times

Hope you guys enjoy, this one is a bit technical in nature but I hope its useful to some of you! To be honest it was created to help me develop nodes for Delta and future RE's but I wanted to make it usable to you guys as well. More "alternate modes" to come too!
Last edited by Socram on 05 Nov 2019, edited 1 time in total.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

Yonatan

05 Nov 2019

Thanks! Nice update. Will get Delta sooner or later.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

05 Nov 2019

I have it and thanks for this. Let me know what other features/modes you are working on if you want constructive feedback.

I think you got space at the top for a few simple but useful features like:
Button On/Off - humanize velocity.
Button Mode 1/2/3 - Random, Low to High, High to Low.
Knob Amount - humanize velocity.

Button On/Off - humanize timing.
Knob Amount - humanize timing.

Allow parameters to have Automation and CV in. Then we can put random LFO to the CV so each chord get a new knob setting/mode.

This wold be killer features to get the static chords from S&C to sound a bit more human.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

motuscott

05 Nov 2019

Coolio!

motuscott

05 Nov 2019

Yeah, Delta
Amazing time to be alive.
As a kid I would have killed to have what I'm too drunk to use now.
Still...

Socram
RE Developer

05 Nov 2019

Boombastix wrote:
05 Nov 2019
I have it and thanks for this. Let me know what other features/modes you are working on if you want constructive feedback.

Allow parameters to have Automation and CV in. Then we can put random LFO to the CV so each chord get a new knob setting/mode.

This wold be killer features to get the static chords from S&C to sound a bit more human.
I appreciate your suggestions however those sorts of features are beyond the intended scope of this device, at least for the time being. Chord Detector will remain a Chord Detector first and foremost, any additional tool modes coming down the pipe will be in a similar vein as the original mode and Velocity Monitor, basically various tools for visualizing MIDI without affecting them.

Luckily another device of mine, Delta MIDI Computer, is quite capable of everything you've described as well as quite a bit more. I highly recommend checking it out if you haven't already. Its at a very different price point than Chord Detector admittedly, but for good reason if I say so myself :)
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

Boombastix
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2019

Socram wrote:
05 Nov 2019
Boombastix wrote:
05 Nov 2019

I appreciate your suggestions however those sorts of features are beyond the intended scope of this device, at least for the time being. Chord Detector will remain a Chord Detector first and foremost, any additional tool modes coming down the pipe will be in a similar vein as the original mode and Velocity Monitor, basically various tools for visualizing MIDI without affecting them.

Luckily another device of mine, Delta MIDI Computer, is quite capable of everything you've described as well as quite a bit more. I highly recommend checking it out if you haven't already. Its at a very different price point than Chord Detector admittedly, but for good reason if I say so myself :)
Yeah, that Delta MIDI Computer is nice but overkill when just needing the "humanize" function. Maybe someone wants do to a light Player with just that function.

Creativemind

08 May 2020

Only just noticed (when adding the player) that Chord Detector had been updated. The colour scheme was different and I was thinking, urgh, what's going on here but getting used to it now lol! Nice to see it updated though.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Boombastix
Competition Winner

08 May 2020

The displaying of the cord sequence would be super handy. Going back to work on a track you can just run through a 8 bar loop and see the chord progression. Could perhaps just be one row with short form chord names and a reset button?

Socram
RE Developer

09 May 2020

Boombastix wrote:
08 May 2020
The displaying of the cord sequence would be super handy. Going back to work on a track you can just run through a 8 bar loop and see the chord progression. Could perhaps just be one row with short form chord names and a reset button?
I've gotten some version of this request a couple times, and the only reason I haven't acted on it sooner is because its not as simple as it might seem to implement.

The issue comes from determining what's a chord that should be displayed, and what was just a brief, temporary match. For example take a 3 note chord; if you play your chords by hand or humanize your MIDI the notes will all come in at slightly different times. For brief moments you'll get detections of a unison, an interval, and then finally the 3 note chord. This issue is slightly compounded by higher order chords.

There's of course a couple options here to filter out non-useful detections, such as a minimum time to consider a chord worth displaying, but that can be hard to define depending on how chords are used in any given user's production. I could make this configurable, but that increases the complexity of a device that I intentionally set out to make as simple as possible.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will get back to the drawing board on this one and see what compromise I can come up with.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

eusti

09 May 2020

Socram wrote:
09 May 2020
Thanks for the suggestion, I will get back to the drawing board on this one and see what compromise I can come up with.
Would love a feature like that too, that is really what I use the RE for most... Trying to figure out what chords I was actually playing... ;)

D.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

09 May 2020

I would say. If a second (or several) note comes within <1/16 of the first note, it is part of a chord.

And a new chord can be detected when that first note is released.

I know you can find cases where you will get odd stuff, but this probably gives useful results 99% if the time. Scaler does detection, you can check that out.

I know

DaveyG

10 May 2020

Boombastix wrote:
09 May 2020
I would say. If a second (or several) note comes within <1/16 of the first note, it is part of a chord.

I know you can find cases where you will get odd stuff, but this probably gives useful results 99% if the time. Scaler does detection, you can check that out.

I know
I was also just about to say "Scaler VST". I use it all the time.

With me a song often starts with me finding a few interesting chords on the keyboard. Play them into Scaler and it suggests key and scale and puts the other chords from that key in clickable/draggable boxes. Likewise if you have a nice little bassline or a bit of melody. And if you use Cthulhu, where someone has programmed a chord progression onto consecutive keys, you can just play those into Scaler and let it suggest other chords and scales that will work well. I've probably tried every chord/scale VST and RE under the sun but Scaler is the one I keep coming back to.

Creativemind

10 May 2020

DaveyG wrote:
10 May 2020
Boombastix wrote:
09 May 2020

I know

With me a song often starts with me finding a few interesting chords on the keyboard. Play them into Scaler and it suggests key and scale and puts the other chords from that key in clickable/draggable boxes. Likewise if you have a nice little bassline or a bit of melody. And if you use Cthulhu, where someone has programmed a chord progression onto consecutive keys, you can just play those into Scaler and let it suggest other chords and scales that will work well. I've probably tried every chord/scale VST and RE under the sun but Scaler is the one I keep coming back to.
Have you tried Chorder and Chord Assistant on Cubase?

DaveyG

10 May 2020

Creativemind wrote:
10 May 2020
DaveyG wrote:
10 May 2020

Didn't like Chorder (assuming you mean the iOS app) but the chord assistant, chord track and chord pads are pretty much all I use Cubase for now.

But none of them do what Scaler does. You can play your riff (chords and/or notes) into Scalar and it will list the best matching keys and scales, in order of best match. There are lots of tools that help you write a chord progression from scratch and suggest stuff but Scalar can take my random keyboard noodlings and give me a handle on how to turn it into the framework for a track, even when I don't know what chords and notes I've come up with.

Creativemind

10 May 2020

DaveyG wrote:
10 May 2020
Creativemind wrote:
10 May 2020

Didn't like Chorder (assuming you mean the iOS app) but the chord assistant, chord track and chord pads are pretty much all I use Cubase for now.

But none of them do what Scaler does. You can play your riff (chords and/or notes) into Scalar and it will list the best matching keys and scales, in order of best match. There are lots of tools that help you write a chord progression from scratch and suggest stuff but Scalar can take my random keyboard noodlings and give me a handle on how to turn it into the framework for a track, even when I don't know what chords and notes I've come up with.
Sorry, by Chorder I think I meant Chord Track.

EDIT - No I meant Chorder. Chord Track is good though too.

DaveyG

10 May 2020

Anyways, to get back on topic...

@OP, yeah! Make it do everything that everything else does but do it better and you'll be in the money! Apologies if we side-tracked a little there.

bidaar

29 May 2020

amzing device ! I always had this problem that I would randomly play a chord with my hand and not know whats its name or anything ... but this way I can even get to know my own taste of chords . just really good . Im Gonna buy right now
Reason 11 Suite l FL Studio l Leaning Ableton n Bitwig l Windows 10 64bit
Trying and Learning to be a : Hip-Hop / Trap , Electronic & Experimental Producer l Mixing Engineer

• Information