How to turn on and off Complex1 sounds

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Nerveclinic

09 May 2020

OK this is going to sound like a really noob question but here goes...

So lets say you have a sound in Complex-1 that has a sequence in it. Every time you hit play on a track, the Complex-1 sequencer plays. How do you control when it plays?

Let's say you want it to play for 8 measures, then stop. How do you get it to stop?

I know it's probably a simple answer but hey, I have no clue.

Cheers,

Nerveclinic

Jackjackdaw

09 May 2020

There isnt a fixed way of doing this but you can do this... Attach a Matrix curve output to Complex 1 CV input. Wire up the cv output to Clock 2 'on' . Then wire Clock 2 to the 'Step' input of the sequencer. Now the sequencer will only advance if the Matrix Curve value is turned up. You can contol the amount of time the sequencer is on for by messing around with the Matrix pattern.

PhillipOrdonez

09 May 2020

Nerveclinic wrote:
09 May 2020
OK this is going to sound like a really noob question but here goes...

So lets say you have a sound in Complex-1 that has a sequence in it. Every time you hit play on a track, the Complex-1 sequencer plays. How do you control when it plays?

Let's say you want it to play for 8 measures, then stop. How do you get it to stop?

I know it's probably a simple answer but hey, I have no clue.

Cheers,

Nerveclinic
I haven't messed much with the sequencer in complex 1 to know how that specific function works, but there must be a way. Personally, I would just bounce to audio and work with that meanwhile.

Nerveclinic

09 May 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
09 May 2020

I haven't messed much with the sequencer in complex 1 to know how that specific function works, but there must be a way. Personally, I would just bounce to audio and work with that meanwhile.
Again maybe I am missing something but you cannot bounce the track. The option doesn't even come up, because the complex-1 sequencer doesn't make notes in the main Reason sequencer, it just turns on when you hit play and off when you stop. You also cannot copy notes to the track.

I don't understand why this is so difficult. There must be a logical solution?

If I could bounce it, that would be a good solution.

Nerveclinic

09 May 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
09 May 2020
There isnt a fixed way of doing this but you can do this... Attach a Matrix curve output to Complex 1 CV input. Wire up the cv output to Clock 2 'on' . Then wire Clock 2 to the 'Step' input of the sequencer. Now the sequencer will only advance if the Matrix Curve value is turned up. You can contol the amount of time the sequencer is on for by messing around with the Matrix pattern.
I tried getting this to work but I am a bit lost in the weeds with some of what you are describing.

Nerveclinic

09 May 2020

It really begs the question, what good is an internal sequencer if you cannot easily control when it does or doesn't play in a song?

Jackjackdaw

09 May 2020

Nerveclinic wrote:
09 May 2020
It really begs the question, what good is an internal sequencer if you cannot easily control when it does or doesn't play in a song?
I made a video on various things you can do with the Complex-1 sequencer:

There is loads of things you can do with it!

PhillipOrdonez

09 May 2020

Nerveclinic wrote:
09 May 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
09 May 2020

Again maybe I am missing something but you cannot bounce the track. The option doesn't even come up, because the complex-1 sequencer doesn't make notes in the main Reason sequencer, it just turns on when you hit play and off when you stop. You also cannot copy notes to the track.

I don't understand why this is so difficult. There must be a logical solution?

If I could bounce it, that would be a good solution.
For bouncing to audio, use the bounce mixer channels under file and check only the complex 1 track, then select the option to bounce to the project instead of to disk. Everything coming out of the complex 1 track between the left and right markers will be bounced to audio neatly in your project.

Jackjackdaw

09 May 2020

Nerveclinic wrote:
09 May 2020

I tried getting this to work but I am a bit lost in the weeds with some of what you are describing.
Here is a demo patch with it set up. You'll notice the Complex1 sequence plays when the Matrix tells it to.
Attachments
Sequencer Demo.zip
(1.7 KiB) Downloaded 47 times

Nerveclinic

09 May 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
09 May 2020

For bouncing to audio, use the bounce mixer channels under file and check only the complex 1 track, then select the option to bounce to the project instead of to disk. Everything coming out of the complex 1 track between the left and right markers will be bounced to audio neatly in your project.

Dude.... Doooode

It worked.
Amazing.
Not a bad duct tape version

Cheers

Nerveclinic

PhillipOrdonez

09 May 2020

Nerveclinic wrote:
09 May 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
09 May 2020

Dude.... Doooode

It worked.
Amazing.

Cheers

Nerveclinic
No worries at all :)

Complex 1 sounds amazing. I just use external sequencers instead!

Nerveclinic

09 May 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
09 May 2020
Nerveclinic wrote:
09 May 2020

Dude.... Doooode

It worked.
Amazing.

Cheers

Nerveclinic

Fair point, but so many of the sounds have internal sequencers. I guess you mean you turn it off and then make your own?

PhillipOrdonez

09 May 2020

Nerveclinic wrote:
09 May 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
09 May 2020

Fair point, but so many of the sounds have internal sequencers. I guess you mean you turn it off and then make your own?
Well, no, I tend to program the sounds from scratch. When I use presets I don't like using patches that have rhythm in them. I prefer to dictate the rhythm myself... I guess patches with a set rhythm would be too recognizable if others were using the same patch? And unless it's intentional, I would not go that route and at least alter the sequence to make it my own, you know? 🤷‍♂️ But normally I just make my own patches and use external sequencers instead.

Nerveclinic

10 May 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
09 May 2020

Well, no, I tend to program the sounds from scratch. When I use presets I don't like using patches that have rhythm in them. I prefer to dictate the rhythm myself... I guess patches with a set rhythm would be too recognizable if others were using the same patch? And unless it's intentional, I would not go that route and at least alter the sequence to make it my own, you know? 🤷‍♂️ But normally I just make my own patches and use external sequencers instead.
I understand that point, but any sound I use will be unrecognizable after I layer all the effects on that I typically use. Plus if you find a good sound, that has a good sequence, well you still mutilate the sound tweaking the synth and layering on effects. I promise you the person who designed it would not recognize it when I am done with it. That's just because I love destroying normal sounds and making them freaks.

PhillipOrdonez

11 May 2020

Nerveclinic wrote:
10 May 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
09 May 2020

I understand that point, but any sound I use will be unrecognizable after I layer all the effects on that I typically use. Plus if you find a good sound, that has a good sequence, well you still mutilate the sound tweaking the synth and layering on effects. I promise you the person who designed it would not recognize it when I am done with it. That's just because I love destroying normal sounds and making them freaks.
Alright, fair enough!

client6

11 Jun 2020

I read this thread and appreciate the bounce to track solution but is there a way to extract only the MIDI data from the sequencer in Complex-1 (a la "copy pattern to track" in ReDrum)?

Thanks for any advice.

• Information