VST to compete with Virus sounds?

Discuss VST stuff here!
hurricane
Competition Winner

06 May 2020

BRIGGS wrote:
06 May 2020

Just curious....how would you rate Waldorf Largo, since it can do 4 layers??....I'm thinking of doing some tests today. Supersaw is a sound I'd like to lock down...and not necessarily for only trance.
When it comes to Largo, I don't necessarily think "supersaw", but it sounds ok to me. The one in this video at around 1:46 sounds like it gets fragile in the highs, but sounds good.

Pigments does an excellent JP-ish supersaw:

But HIVE sounds more like the JP-8080 to me than all others:

Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

eXode

06 May 2020

Dune 3 may not sound exactly like a Virus, but it's an amazing plugin it it's own right.

joeyluck

06 May 2020

On the topic of super saws, while it may not exactly capture the same sound as the JP-8000, I am a big fan of the Megasaur RE.

I really like it's very focused approach and simplicity. And I do like its sound.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... /megasaur/

BRIGGS

06 May 2020

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... as-vereor/

Strange...this sounds like a mutated virus. lol :puf_smile:
r11s

Boombastix
Competition Winner

06 May 2020

hurricane wrote:
06 May 2020
BRIGGS wrote:
06 May 2020

Just curious....how would you rate Waldorf Largo, since it can do 4 layers??....I'm thinking of doing some tests today. Supersaw is a sound I'd like to lock down...and not necessarily for only trance.
When it comes to Largo, I don't necessarily think "supersaw", but it sounds ok to me. The one in this video at around 1:46 sounds like it gets fragile in the highs, but sounds good.
Diva's "digital" oscillator module has a JP-8080 supersaw emulation. You might wanna look at that too, especially if you want the analog emulations too.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

dusan.cani

06 May 2020

I've tweaked some examples of supersaws on MX:

- Classic one osc supersaw + unison + LP filter
massive-x-susaw.mp3
(394.88 KiB) Downloaded 94 times

- Some as above but with additional basic saw osc tuned 1 oct lower and result filtered through BP
massive-x-susaw-BP-osc2-filt.mp3
(394.88 KiB) Downloaded 80 times

- High note range example, short LP filter decay
massive-x-susaw-high.mp3
(356.11 KiB) Downloaded 75 times

dusan.cani

06 May 2020

- One osc supersaw + additional basic saw within same octave
massive-x-susaw-arp.mp3
(394.88 KiB) Downloaded 97 times

miscend

07 May 2020

For the Virus all you need is the Synapse Antidote.

Ulpu

07 May 2020

Spryx wrote:
06 May 2020
Own a Virus TI Polar.

closest in VST form: Viper or Spire

Viper if you want something super close. Spire is great all around and very close.
This Viper is starting to be very tempting. I like it sounds, but also the interface is quite tempting (I just can't deny visual aspect is important for me with synths - with the good sounds... :puf_bigsmile: )
eXode wrote:
06 May 2020

Great sounds! Thanks for sharing!

qn5

07 May 2020

BRIGGS wrote:
04 May 2020

Or, just get some hypersaw samples loaded into Grain, to take this to the next level:

https://rhythm-lab.com/access-virus-ti- ... y-brambos/
You just made my day. haha Thanks for the link!
QN5 MUSIC
qn5.com

BRIGGS

07 May 2020

qn5 wrote:
07 May 2020
BRIGGS wrote:
04 May 2020

Or, just get some hypersaw samples loaded into Grain, to take this to the next level:

https://rhythm-lab.com/access-virus-ti- ... y-brambos/
You just made my day. haha Thanks for the link!
Awesome!!! :puf_smile:

BTW, here's a direct link to make things easier:

https://rhythm-lab.com/sstorage/44/2015 ... eforms.rar
r11s

splitpen

08 May 2020

Created 2 supersaw sounds just for fun and sharing (reason 11.3). Of course more instances were needed to get the full sound..but it personally gives me way more control over the sounds.
Have the feeling most effects inside the plugins are to limited, or just not always reached the sound i was looking for. Even inside Hive and Serum, just in my opinion.

Didn't use any vst effects.

The reasonfile is in the attachment

Attachments
Supersaw.zip
(351.26 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjzYHe3D8f8
Reasonstudios 11 Roland Quadcapture | AMD Ryzen 5900x|Elektron Analog Heat Mk2|Diy 3 way SB Acoustics/Scanspeak studiomonitors | AKG K702 | Key­sta­tion 61 MK3 |BCR2000 |X-Touch Ext | MP Midi

Ulpu

08 May 2020

splitpen wrote:
08 May 2020
Created 2 supersaw sounds just for fun and sharing (reason 11.3). Of course more instances were needed to get the full sound..but it personally gives me way more control over the sounds.
Have the feeling most effects inside the plugins are to limited, or just not always reached the sound i was looking for. Even inside Hive and Serum, just in my opinion.

Didn't use any vst effects.

The reasonfile is in the attachment

Sounds very vrey nice :thumbs_up: :D

hurricane
Competition Winner

08 May 2020

splitpen wrote:
08 May 2020
Of course more instances were needed to get the full sound..
1. Can you explain why "of course" you needed to use more instances to get the full sound?

2. I don't have R11 - how many total devices for this one sound did you use?

This is fun - here is ONE Hive, using its onboard effects and nothing else:

Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

splitpen

08 May 2020

You're totally right, just sounds the same..

These were 3 thors, but could also could have done of with 2. Just added one layer on top... because the sound needed it in my opinion.

I meant you can 't do all the stuff internally, all the reason instruments lack some good internal effects. On all instruments there ain't a decent eq with multiband, selectable a factor an frequency for example. The eq part alone is a very important factor to create the character of the sound. Some vst or re do a better job on that.

Inside the serum, hive you can 't do dynamic eq for example or bandsplitted widening, as far as I know. So you already need to do it outside the synth.

Everybody like to do it their own way, guess this is the way I like it, and you prefer Hive or others, which is totally fine ;-)

Have a good weekend👍
Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjzYHe3D8f8
Reasonstudios 11 Roland Quadcapture | AMD Ryzen 5900x|Elektron Analog Heat Mk2|Diy 3 way SB Acoustics/Scanspeak studiomonitors | AKG K702 | Key­sta­tion 61 MK3 |BCR2000 |X-Touch Ext | MP Midi

hurricane
Competition Winner

08 May 2020

splitpen wrote:
08 May 2020

These were 3 thors, but could also could have done of with 2. Just added one layer on top... because the sound needed it in my opinion.
This just pisses me off so much. Not you - but the suckiness of Reason's legacy synths. I mean, three Thors...and that's supposed to be Reason's super synth. I believe Sylenth was released the same year Thor was. The difference is Sylenth was a powerhouse from the beginning and still is. That's why you only need ONE Sylenth and no additional effects to recreate this sound. At least Europa is somewhat competent. But I remember Mattias somewhat hinting that it would rival Serum - yeah, I think not. Thank the gods for VSTs.

And that was my quarantine rant. :crazy:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Nerveclinic

08 May 2020

riemac wrote:
04 May 2020
Viper by Adam szabo is the closest VST emulation of a Virus. And is the cheapest of the mentioned vsts.
Doesn't work if you use a Mac...lol

hurricane
Competition Winner

08 May 2020

Just for kicks here's one instance of Sylenth with no external effects. Layering 3 of these things would be ridiculous.

Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

riemac

09 May 2020

hurricane wrote:
08 May 2020
splitpen wrote:
08 May 2020
1. Can you explain why "of course" you needed to use more instances to get the full sound?

Which mode do you use in Hive to best emulate a supersaw, „normal“?

joeyluck

09 May 2020

hurricane wrote:
08 May 2020
splitpen wrote:
08 May 2020

This just pisses me off so much. Not you - but the suckiness of Reason's legacy synths. I mean, three Thors...and that's supposed to be Reason's super synth. I believe Sylenth was released the same year Thor was. The difference is Sylenth was a powerhouse from the beginning and still is. That's why you only need ONE Sylenth and no additional effects to recreate this sound. At least Europa is somewhat competent. But I remember Mattias somewhat hinting that it would rival Serum - yeah, I think not. Thank the gods for VSTs.

And that was my quarantine rant. :crazy:
Is anybody else a big fan of Megasaur like I am?

I get good results from one or two instances. What I really like is the compact form factor and super saw focus.

In regards to using a few instances of something—similar things can probably be said about using one instance of a larger, hungrier synth to mostly access one feature of it, instead of using one or a few small, focused, more efficient devices.

EdGrip

09 May 2020

I'm a fan of Megasaur! It's a very good, focused synth.

Lots of chat here about layering different oscs and different octaves - don't forget layering different instruments singing their different versions of "supersaw".
You wouldn't want a choir of clones of one person.

Ulpu

09 May 2020

hurricane wrote:
08 May 2020
splitpen wrote:
08 May 2020

Sounds very rich + warm. Hmm... Hive, I haven't really looked into it before.

hurricane
Competition Winner

09 May 2020

riemac wrote:
09 May 2020
Which mode do you use in Hive to best emulate a supersaw, „normal“?
All three, and it depends on what type of Supersaw you want. I have to help a friend move today but when I get back I'll be more specific, and will post patches.

The distortion effect is also important as it adds the supersaw "fizz".
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

joeyluck

09 May 2020

EdGrip wrote:
09 May 2020
I'm a fan of Megasaur! It's a very good, focused synth.

Lots of chat here about layering different oscs and different octaves - don't forget layering different instruments singing their different versions of "supersaw".
You wouldn't want a choir of clones of one person.
Oh for sure. One of my favorite pairings is Megasaur with Monopoly :D

hurricane
Competition Winner

09 May 2020

Here are 3 of my Hive supersaw patches. Each one uses a different synth engine.

SS_Massive Euphoria = Dirty. The Airwave patch in the demo I posted above. I would describe the dirty synth engine as being somewhat dark, and more in your face.
LD_Gouryella = Clean. The clean synth engine is wide, and kind of bright and airy. The distort effect provides the fizz. Turn it off to see what I mean.
LD_JustlikeMyJP = Normal. The normal synth engine has the squelchier JP resonance. See for yourself by setting filter 1's cutoff to about 53 and resonance to 60. Now hit some notes as you switch between clean, normal, and dirty. Note the resonance difference. This is how the real JP-8080 sounds. I copied this patch off my JP and Hive does it EXACTLY like the JP-8080. The Synaesthesia demo I posted earlier uses this synth engine and it is essential to making it sound right.

Presets attached.
Attachments
3 Hurricane Hive Patches.zip
(10.6 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

• Information