Spitfire Audio - BBCSO Discover - $49 or FREE

Discuss VST stuff here!
joeyluck

07 May 2020

You have the option to purchase it and begin using it today for $49, or complete a survey and receive it for free in 14 days.

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/ ... -discover/
A whole orchestra of the highest quality at your fingertips. Designed to make orchestral scoring accessible to music creators of every level – from those just starting out, to professional composers. BBC Symphony Orchestra Discover is an inspiring gateway into orchestral composition, featuring the same professional recording quality as both the Core and Professional editions in an incredibly lightweight and accessible package (only 200mb).

We have selected 35 instruments and 47 techniques available with one mix signal, enabling you to write instantly great-sounding orchestral music — presented in a beautifully designed, easy-to-use plugin, with simple controls and NKS compatibility. Owners of BBCSO Professional and Core will automatically receive Discover for free.

Each edition is fully interchangeable through Spitfire’s innovative mode switching technology, making it easier than ever to share and collaborate with fellow composers, regardless of which edition they own. This makes Discover an extremely useful tool for composers of all levels writing on the go, or with the most basic technical setup, who can then go on to complete their compositions in Core or Professional.

hurricane
Competition Winner

07 May 2020

Ooh nice!

Survey was sorta fun.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

joeyluck

07 May 2020

Here's a walkthrough video:

Also announced today was the Core edition.

So there is now:
  • Discover - $49 or free
  • Core - $449 (on sale for $349)
  • Professional - $999 (on sale for $749)
And they are all compatible via Mode Switching:

Boombastix
Competition Winner

07 May 2020

My answer to the last question was : "post war broadcasts with funny accents"

Hope I still get a copy :lol:
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

DaveyG

08 May 2020

Does anyone know if the strings in Discover are velocity sensitive?

I dialled up their free LABS strings the other day and was very surprised to find that they do not respond to key velocity, so they sound great but are not very usable unless you process them some other way.

joeyluck

08 May 2020

DaveyG wrote:
08 May 2020

I dialled up their free LABS strings the other day and was very surprised to find that they do not respond to key velocity, so they sound great but are not very usable unless you process them some other way.
It's pretty typical for dynamics of sustains to be controlled by mod wheel/assignable control. It creates a much more realistic and natural sound. Dynamics for short articulations are usually assigned to velocity. I would guess that this library would be much the same in that regard.

DaveyG

08 May 2020

joeyluck wrote:
08 May 2020
DaveyG wrote:
08 May 2020

It's pretty typical for dynamics of sustains to be controlled by mod wheel/assignable control. It creates a much more realistic and natural sound. Dynamics for short articulations are usually assigned to velocity. I would guess that this library would be much the same in that regard.
Yeah, having posted that I did what I should have done before I posted it - Google. I guess I'm more used to "pop" string libraries which do respond to velocity and then give you the option getting more control with CC1 and CC11 (mod and exp pedal) if you want. I only really use strings as background padding so a lack of realism is not usually a problem. I use just velocity for short notes and on long notes I automate the volume afterwards if I want a swell or fade. You don't get the different tones this way but you can't really tell in the mix. Or at least I can't! I've certainly never had any complaints from many the people I've supplied tracks to over the years.

I'll probably do that survey then get frustrated with the free library!

Popey
Competition Winner

08 May 2020

Boombastix wrote:
07 May 2020
My answer to the last question was : "post war broadcasts with funny accents"

Hope I still get a copy :lol:
Let me know how you get on with that. I filled it in quickly and put match of the day without thinking..guess that's not what they were looking for.

xylyx

08 May 2020

Unless I missed something, you get a copy irrespective of the answer you put - if not, my answer of having "mixed feelings about the BBC, as they are trying to be too PC these days" might not go down too well :shock: I did try to say something positive after that by adding that they still make some decent programmes like Luther. Guess we'll see in two weeks time :mrgreen:

DaveyG

08 May 2020

xylyx wrote:
08 May 2020
Unless I missed something, you get a copy irrespective of the answer you put - if not, my answer of having "mixed feelings about the BBC, as they are trying to be too PC these days" might not go down too well :shock: I did try to say something positive after that by adding that they still make some decent programmes like Luther. Guess we'll see in two weeks time :mrgreen:
It's an odd question that invites a light-hearted response. I might have mentioned posh accents.

djs

08 May 2020

2 week countdown!

joeyluck

08 May 2020

djs wrote:
08 May 2020
2 week countdown!
Yeah I started counting down yesterday :)

It's a great and interesting concept—A lower price and an option to get it for free, but to receive it for free, you have to fill out a survey and wait two weeks.

I've seen free options for commercial plugins before, but typically considered donationware with a suggested donation (or in the case of Freakshow Industries, the "steal" option). And other times, I've seen "free for a limited-time" intro offers (which in those cases there is a fixed date and window).

This is 14 days for everybody. Whether you filled it out yesterday or next month—you'll have to wait 14 days from then. So it creates some demand for immediacy. If times weren't so questionable right now, I might've bought it so I could play with it today.

I'd be interested to see how it turns out for them, and if it is a viable approach for more of their plugins or an approach other developers might find success using.

DaveyG

09 May 2020

joeyluck wrote:
08 May 2020
djs wrote:
08 May 2020
2 week countdown!

It's a great and interesting concept—A lower price and an option to get it for free, but to receive it for free, you have to fill out a survey and wait two weeks.

I've seen free options for commercial plugins before, but typically considered donationware with a suggested donation (or in the case of Freakshow Industries, the "steal" option). And other times, I've seen "free for a limited-time" intro offers (which in those cases there is a fixed date and window).

This is 14 days for everybody. Whether you filled it out yesterday or next month—you'll have to wait 14 days from then. So it creates some demand for immediacy. If times weren't so questionable right now, I might've bought it so I could play with it today.

I'd be interested to see how it turns out for them, and if it is a viable approach for more of their plugins or an approach other developers might find success using.
How about a sliding scale?

$50 get it now
$40 get it in 2 days
$20 get it in a week
$0 get it in 2 weeks

joeyluck

09 May 2020

DaveyG wrote:
09 May 2020
joeyluck wrote:
08 May 2020

How about a sliding scale?

$50 get it now
$40 get it in 2 days
$20 get it in a week
$0 get it in 2 weeks
Yeah that could be interesting as well. I am curious if it will inspire ideas similar to this for other developers.

If I were a developer offering anything for free, at the very least, every one of my free offerings would take a similar approach.

platzangst

10 May 2020

Hm. I filled out the survey. I was struck by how many of the questions just... didn't have anything to do with anything I was interested in, even as regards to my music. I suppose they're aiming for a more professional/industry demographic, maybe, but still, I could have used a number of selections that read "I have no interest in any of these options".

jam-s

11 May 2020

Whenever a survey asks too much crap I tend to go into random mode just to increase their noise level and thus weaken the SNR. :twisted:

dvdrtldg

12 May 2020

DaveyG wrote:
08 May 2020
xylyx wrote:
08 May 2020
It's an odd question that invites a light-hearted response. I might have mentioned posh accents.
I told them I worked in public broadcasting (which is true), that I was horrified at the threats currently facing the BBC, and that I wished them the best of luck. I'm hoping they'll give me a pony

Przemyslaw

12 May 2020

Great thing. I filled out the survey. Any good free library is greatly appreciated. I use Albion and free Labs, fantastic sounds.

michael.jaye

28 May 2020

I quick click through some of the instruments here, sounds nice.

dvdrtldg

28 May 2020

Got it! And also got my new MacBook Pro this week. Turns out Spitfire doesn't work with OS Catalina yet. Boo.

moneykube

28 May 2020

dvdrtldg wrote:
28 May 2020
Got it! And also got my new MacBook Pro this week. Turns out Spitfire doesn't work with OS Catalina yet. Boo.
I have spitfire working on the newest Catalina... last time I checked... it does not install or work for you? They recently have had 3 updates with the plug , if memory serves me correctly.... I am using a newer Mac mini that came with Catalina
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

DaveyG

28 May 2020

dvdrtldg wrote:
28 May 2020
Turns out Spitfire doesn't work with OS Catalina yet. Boo.
Wow. That's a real surprise. A company at the premium end of the market and they have had plenty of time to sort it.

moneykube

28 May 2020

dvdrtldg wrote:
28 May 2020
The program requires: Mac OS X 10.10 or later Minimum: 2.8GHz i5 minimum (quad-core), 8GB RAM. All the free labs work for me... including the bbc version I got for doing the survey...perhaps you can find out the problem why it is not working for you here https://spitfireaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en ... =✓#results
os 10.15.4... spitfire version 3.2.6
edit... downloading os 10.15.5 now... will report back if things stop working with spitfire but it likely will be fine
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

arqui

28 May 2020

I already turned 14 days
simply excellent

Thanks for advising joeyluck!!!
Regards Alfred
      Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

EdGrip

28 May 2020

DaveyG wrote:
28 May 2020
dvdrtldg wrote:
28 May 2020
Turns out Spitfire doesn't work with OS Catalina yet. Boo.
Wow. That's a real surprise. A company at the premium end of the market and they have had plenty of time to sort it.
Ask ANY developer about Catalina.

• Information