VST to compete with Virus sounds?

Discuss VST stuff here!
Ulpu

04 May 2020

Virus had/has some very sick sounds. I don’t own it, but I’ve heard & tried it. Was wondering if some VST synth today can compete?

AND! The VST would not be very cpu hungry when running in Reason?

Why I don’t just buy Virus?
1. The price is too high for me
2... Well the number 1 basically is the reason :lol:

gregmarksimpson

04 May 2020

Ulpu wrote:
04 May 2020
Virus had/has some very sick sounds. I don’t own it, but I’ve heard & tried it. Was wondering if some VST synth today can compete?

Nexus 3 VST sounds a lot like Virus.
ReSpire can sound quite a lot like Virus.
Sylenth1 can sound like Virus.

Ulpu

04 May 2020

gregmarksimpson wrote:
04 May 2020
Ulpu wrote:
04 May 2020

Nexus 3 VST sounds a lot like Virus.
ReSpire can sound quite a lot like Virus.
Sylenth1 can sound like Virus.
Are they very cpu hungry when running with Reason?

Oquasec

04 May 2020

To sound like a virus? Well that depends on what type of synth the virus is bud.
So far the ones that can get you the sound (Easily)
Sylenth<<<<<<<<<<
Sytrus
Thor<<<<<<<<<
Maelstrom
Toxic biohazard<<<<<<<<<<<
Uhe Diva
---
It has been confirmed that Serum does in fact not have the same character as a virus synth out of the box, altho you might find some tubes to imitate.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Jackjackdaw

04 May 2020

A lot of the character of a softsynth sound can be shaped with good eq and pre amp plugins that get the signal good and hot.

Mataya

04 May 2020

Tone2 Electra and Icarus maybe. But if you want Virus sound, you'll need to buy Virus.

M

riemac

04 May 2020

Viper by Adam szabo is the closest VST emulation of a Virus. And is the cheapest of the mentioned vsts.

Ulpu

04 May 2020

Viper I haven’t heard before. Looks interesting:)

Mataya

04 May 2020

riemac wrote:
04 May 2020
Viper by Adam szabo is the closest VST emulation of a Virus. And is the cheapest of the mentioned vsts.
Yep. he's right. i forgot about that one. the other one is also cool, a jp8000 kinda sounding synth. adam made some cool vst's.

m

Ulpu

04 May 2020

Oquasec wrote:
04 May 2020
To sound like a virus? Well that depends on what type of synth the virus is bud.
So far the ones that can get you the sound (Easily)
Sylenth<<<<<<<<<<
Sytrus
Thor<<<<<<<<<
Maelstrom
Toxic biohazard<<<<<<<<<<<
Uhe Diva
---
It has been confirmed that Serum does in fact not have the same character as a virus synth out of the box, altho you might find some tubes to imitate.
Sytrus is FL Studio's synth?
Toxic Biohazard is new name to me... Gotta check that out :cool:

Ulpu

04 May 2020

Wow... That Viper looks so smooth :shifty:
And sounds nice too:

Ulpu

04 May 2020

Adam Szabo's JP6K sounds also very amazing... Love those trancey sound (don't know how much external effects are used for those sounds in the video, but sounds just sweet):

BRIGGS

04 May 2020

:?: Is it just me, or does Europa cover these sounds, and way more? :?:
r11s

riemac

04 May 2020

BRIGGS wrote:
04 May 2020
Doen't understand me wrong, Europa is a very nice synth, but when it comes to trance sounds and hypersaw the sound of Viper is in another league.
Sadly the Unison in Europa always sounds a little bit metalic.

hurricane
Competition Winner

04 May 2020

riemac wrote:
04 May 2020
BRIGGS wrote:
04 May 2020
Doen't understand me wrong, Europa is a very nice synth, but when it comes to trance sounds and hypersaw the sound of Viper is in another league.
Yeah, and I have a Virus Classic (I never bothered getting a Virus TI because my JP-8080 does supersaws better) - and Europa does not do trance like the Virus. Neither does Thor. It's not even close.

Hive is close.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

dusan.cani

04 May 2020

Ulpu wrote:
04 May 2020

Definitely Massive X !!!

It's the Virus TI on steroids ! Ultra quality sound algorhitms and it can do really really wide range of sounds. Sound character is somewhere between Virus TI - Nord Lead/Rack 2 - or some analog synth. But it is just my opinion. Try the demo yourself and you will see. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Regarding CPU - Its performance is outstanding on my system. I have no more than 2 CPU bars in Reason 10 even If I use long amp release unison polyphonic sounds with per voice FX..

dusan.cani

04 May 2020

I forgot to add that MX has a plenty of various ways how to get very cool hypersaws, supersaws, etc.

Ulpu

04 May 2020

dusan.cani wrote:
04 May 2020
Ulpu wrote:
04 May 2020

Definitely Massive X !!!

It's the Virus TI on steroids ! Ultra quality sound algorhitms and it can do really really wide range of sounds. Sound character is somewhere between Virus TI - Nord Lead/Rack 2 - or some analog synth. But it is just my opinion. Try the demo yourself and you will see. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Regarding CPU - Its performance is outstanding on my system. I have no more than 2 CPU bars in Reason 10 even If I use long amp release unison polyphonic sounds with per voice FX..
I have heard good things about Massive X before... But for some Reason (lol) haven't tried demo of it yet... Maybe it's about time :D

BRIGGS

04 May 2020

riemac wrote:
04 May 2020
BRIGGS wrote:
04 May 2020
Or, just get some hypersaw samples loaded into Grain, to take this to the next level:

https://rhythm-lab.com/access-virus-ti- ... y-brambos/
r11s

splitpen

06 May 2020

The leads of this song i have made (@2.59), were made with thor and europa and a couple of effects.. No other vst instruments.
You have to put more effects and instances to get there, though. But the most important part is just layering parts.
It's to bad the Europa haven't got the multiosc of Thor. The detune of the unison just doesn't goes that far, besides that i personaly find it a great synth.
That's the power of the combinator, you can build you're own.

Demoed the already mentioned "Viper" a couple months ago, really good softsynth indeed.

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjzYHe3D8f8
Reasonstudios 11 Roland Quadcapture | AMD Ryzen 5900x|Elektron Analog Heat Mk2|Diy 3 way SB Acoustics/Scanspeak studiomonitors | AKG K702 | Key­sta­tion 61 MK3 |BCR2000 |X-Touch Ext | MP Midi

hurricane
Competition Winner

06 May 2020

splitpen wrote:
06 May 2020
The leads of this song i have made (@2.59), were made with thor and europa and a couple of effects.. No other vst instruments.
You have to put more effects and instances to get there, though. But the most important part is just layering parts.
Who the hell has time for that when you can use just ONE instance of a higher quality VST? Layering synths and effects was how I used to work back before Reason allowed VSTs and REs. It's an unnecessary and time wasting inconvenience nowadays. I can go into Logic and use 4 legacy ES1 synths plus a bunch of Logic's legacy effects to create the Airwave lead, but no one is going to give me a prize for that, and the self applause I will give myself will be heard by no one but me. If you don't have access to a better VST or can't afford one (or don't want to use them), then sure, use what you have. Synth1 is free though, and it does supersaws better than Thor and Europa:

Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

BRIGGS

06 May 2020

hurricane wrote:
06 May 2020
splitpen wrote:
06 May 2020
Who the hell has time for that when you can use just ONE instance of a higher quality VST? Layering synths and effects was how I used to work back before Reason allowed VSTs and REs. It's an unnecessary and time wasting inconvenience nowadays. I can go into Logic and use 4 legacy ES1 synths plus a bunch of Logic's legacy effects to create the Airwave lead, but no one is going to give me a prize for that, and the self applause I will give myself will be heard by no one but me. If you don't have access to a better VST or can't afford one (or don't want to use them), then sure, use what you have. Synth1 is free though, and it does supersaws better than Thor and Europa:

Just curious....how would you rate Waldorf Largo, since it can do 4 layers??....I'm thinking of doing some tests today. Supersaw is a sound I'd like to lock down...and not necessarily for only trance.

see:

r11s

Spryx

06 May 2020

Own a Virus TI Polar.

closest in VST form: Viper or Spire

Viper if you want something super close. Spire is great all around and very close.
latest:

Ulpu

06 May 2020

hurricane wrote:
06 May 2020
splitpen wrote:
06 May 2020
Synth1 is free though, and it does supersaws better than Thor and Europa:

WOW! That sounds amazing! :shock:
Might had some extra effects on it on the video though?

eXode

06 May 2020

• Information