VST instruments vs RE versions?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Ulpu

03 May 2020

There are some interesting RE versions of famous VST instruments.
Spire, Serum, Diva, Hive2, Zebra2...
My question:
1. Are the factory sounds same in the VST as in the RE version?
2. Can you use same sound banks in the RE version as in the VST?
3. There was comment about Spire RE not being as smooth as the original VST, same problem with other RE versions?

I really like how the RE are part of Reason DAW. But then again, the VSTs are ok to use - not so handy as RE, but usable :mrgreen:

Loque

03 May 2020

Ulpu wrote:
03 May 2020
My question:
1. Are the factory sounds same in the VST as in the RE version?
2. Can you use same sound banks in the RE version as in the VST?
3. There was comment about Spire RE not being as smooth as the original VST, same problem with other RE versions?

I really like how the RE are part of Reason DAW. But then again, the VSTs are ok to use - not so handy as RE, but usable :mrgreen:
Spire is the only RE available as ReSpire and it sounds the same. Its just a bit quirky because of some GUI limitations. I think in the meantime the RE version lacks some updates the VST version got.

If you are looking for counterparts or the others, try eXpanse, Legend, VK-2. They are very nice integrated and the backside is a dream.
Reason12, Win10

jam-s

03 May 2020

Ulpu wrote:
03 May 2020
Of those mentioned I've only seen ReSpire (=the RE version of Spire) and afair they made it so that the VST can simply load the repatch files.

Ulpu

03 May 2020

Aah... sorry! I got confused since I thought I was browsing for RE in the Reason Studios shop and noticed Diva etc there. Didn't know they sell VST's also :oops: Sorry for the mistake :roll:

DaveyG

03 May 2020

VST every time. You can use them in other DAWs and you can sell them. Plus, you can usually read the text on them on hi-res screens, unlike many REs.

Loque

03 May 2020

DaveyG wrote:
03 May 2020
VST every time. You can use them in other DAWs and you can sell them. Plus, you can usually read the text on them on hi-res screens, unlike many REs.
Plus all the crap you get with the VSTs like serials, authorisers, patch browse mess, crashes, simple integration...

And btw, the argument "you can use them in other DAWs" is a bit outdated IMO. And regarding the hi-res...we will see what the update will bring.
Reason12, Win10

VariableX

03 May 2020

Loque wrote:
03 May 2020
DaveyG wrote:
03 May 2020
Plus all the crap you get with the VSTs like serials, authorisers, patch browse mess, crashes, simple integration...

And btw, the argument "you can use them in other DAWs" is a bit outdated IMO. And regarding the hi-res...we will see what the update will bring.
I always like how we have the same opinion on this 😀
RE every time for me I dont like VSTs.
What update are we referring to? R12?

DaveyG

03 May 2020

Loque wrote:
03 May 2020
DaveyG wrote:
03 May 2020

The update will bring AAX plugins, That's all.

Plus you have a very distorted view of VST authorisation. Strange how the rest of the DAW world seems to cope just fine. You have to authorise everything, including Reason. You do it once, then it's done. Maybe its a serial number, maybe it's online, maybe it's an app but it's not complicated. If you struggle with that then I can't help you. And you can sell VSTs.

Loque

03 May 2020

fretshot7 wrote:
03 May 2020
Loque wrote:
03 May 2020

I always like how we have the same opinion on this 😀
RE every time for me I dont like VSTs.
What update are we referring to? R12?
RS is working on a GUI update. I don't know when it will come.
Reason12, Win10

VariableX

03 May 2020

DaveyG wrote:
03 May 2020
Loque wrote:
03 May 2020

Plus you have a very distorted view of VST authorisation. Strange how the rest of the DAW world seems to cope just fine. You have to authorise everything, including Reason. You do it once, then it's done. Maybe its a serial number, maybe it's online, maybe it's an app but it's not complicated. If you struggle with that then I can't help you. And you can sell VSTs.
Until the VST has a free update a year later and when running through the update it asks for some authentication.....

Loque

03 May 2020

DaveyG wrote:
03 May 2020
Loque wrote:
03 May 2020

I just counted the authorizers on my taskbar... 13! Only for VSTs. And i didnt have a few there of some free VSTs i grabbed. Not mentioned the serials only or keyfile crap. I think my view is very clear...
Reason12, Win10

hurricane
Competition Winner

04 May 2020

If multiple serials, authorizations, pop-up windows, and installations are overwhelming and complicated then I must be a goddamn genius because that shit is easy peasy japaneasy.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 May 2020

hurricane wrote:
04 May 2020
If multiple serials, authorizations, pop-up windows, and installations are overwhelming and complicated then I must be a goddamn genius because that shit is easy peasy japaneasy.
Same here. It is a pain in the arse having to make sure everything is deauthorized everywhere though if you’re doing a fresh OS install.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

joeyluck

04 May 2020

I'd like to see the ability to sell/trade REs, as I think it would boost confidence in customers looking to buy.

That said though, I have NEVER sold any piece of software. I rarely even sell my hardware—that I usually just hand off to a family member or a friend.

I will almost always buy the RE over the VST if it's an option. Reason is my primary DAW. I buy VSTs for things that don't exist in the RE world.

We have the RRP now, so having access to REs in another DAW is no longer a thing. And then hopefully with this Reason GUI update, the ability to zoom (or the lack thereof) will no longer be a factor either.

jam-s

04 May 2020

I see, it's turning into one of those threads again...

kitekrazy

04 May 2020

I only buy REs if they are not VSTs.

• Information