New to CV: where to start

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
WarStar

03 May 2020

Long time reason user but never really utilized CV.

What are three beginner techniques that I should try first? Just trying to get my feet wet lol

Sterioevo

03 May 2020

The matrix and the combinator is a good starting point.

Add a device to the combinator and then plug the CV outs of the Matrix into the CV ins of combinator, and then program some parameters in the Combinators Programmer - sequence some notes and play around to hear what CV can do to the sound.

With the matrix you can start to look at the 3 main types of CV messages:
1. Gate
2. Notes
3. CV (Uni/bipolar)

You can run the CV signal through a scope such as https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -analyzer/ CV Analyzer to see what is going on.

Loque

03 May 2020

Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 May 2020

Man I miss Hydlide.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Jackjackdaw

03 May 2020

CV can be used to control movement over time. So think about how you want the sound to evolve and use CV triggers and envelopes to take it there.

Benedict
Competition Winner

21 May 2020

Hi Mr Star

CV is merely a way to Automate things - turn knobs without using your fingers. Getting the bot to do it for you.

It is easy to get in that confused state of mind but don't let it be that way. Here is the approach I used and still recommend:
https://benedictroffmarsh.com/2015/09/0 ... aking-art/

Once you have the basics and have practiced them until you can see in your head what you are doing, you can start to complexificate things with minimal head exploding. This is one explode device:
https://benedictroffmarsh.com/2017/10/1 ... s-matters/

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

03 Jun 2020

I just doing a Mini Modular series on my youtube channel, Part 2 of it is about the different types of CV however CV is used in every Part as it's all about build modular synths in Reason..

arnigretar

29 Jul 2021

MrFigg wrote:
03 May 2020
Man I miss Hydlide.
What happened to him? Why did he stop those tutorials? Those are golden. I bet RE makers were happy as well - at least I would think so! He did some pretty good tutorials on a lot of stuff. One of the best!
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

Loque

30 Jul 2021

arnigretar wrote:
29 Jul 2021
MrFigg wrote:
03 May 2020

Man I miss Hydlide.
What happened to him? Why did he stop those tutorials? Those are golden. I bet RE makers were happy as well - at least I would think so! He did some pretty good tutorials on a lot of stuff. One of the best!
He got lost in some pointless ranting about Reasons performance and than was peacockish to commit he was talking crap. Switched to Ableton.
Reason12, Win10

arnigretar

30 Jul 2021

Loque wrote:
30 Jul 2021
arnigretar wrote:
29 Jul 2021

He got lost in some pointless ranting about Reasons performance and than was peacockish to commit he was talking crap. Switched to Ableton.
Ok, thanks for clearing that up Loque! :puf_smile: Well, hope he doesn't remove his videos! Sometimes you forget stuff and he sometimes had the answers.
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

huggermugger

30 Jul 2021

Here's a very simple example that shows how and why you might want to use CV. Subtractor has two LFOs. LFO 1 can sync to the beat, while LFO 2 can't. But LFO 1 can't modulate Amp Level (which would create a tremolo effect). So if I want tempo-synched tremolo, I'm stuck. Flip the rack, patch LFO 1 out into Amp Level In, and adjust the Intensity knob to taste.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 9.29.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 9.29.06 AM.png (847.08 KiB) Viewed 2065 times
Last edited by huggermugger on 30 Jul 2021, edited 1 time in total.

huggermugger

30 Jul 2021

And I can go further by using a Spider CV Splitter. This way, I can use the Subtractor's beat-synched LFO1 to modulate two things at the same time - Subtractor's Amp Level and also Monotone's Filter Frequency.

Notice the INV Output on the Splitter. If I patched that into the Monotone's Filter Frequency instead of the regular Output, it would move opposite to the one patched into Subtractor. So, whenever Subtractor's Amp Level gets louder (LFO goes high), the Monotone's Filter Frequency gets darker (LFO goes low). This could create an interesting beat-synched timbre change in my bassline.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 9.35.15 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 9.35.15 AM.png (625.16 KiB) Viewed 2059 times

illlumen

02 Aug 2021

https://www.noiseengineering.us/blog/what-is-cv
https://www.perfectcircuit.com/signal/l ... processing
Basically this is about modular synthesis but you can transfer almost all of that information into Reason (or any DAW with similar capabilites).

Emian

06 Aug 2021

Loque wrote:
30 Jul 2021

well,

if his ranting was pointless, Reason 12's performance shouldn't be that much worse or different then previous versions ... ;)

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

Loque

06 Aug 2021

Emian wrote:
06 Aug 2021
Loque wrote:
30 Jul 2021

well,

if his ranting was pointless, Reason 12's performance shouldn't be that much worse or different then previous versions ... ;)
I cannot follow this equation.

It's better to get back to topic.
Reason12, Win10

• Information