Addictive Keys and Modrack ADSR

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
simonphinix1986

01 May 2020

Hey I am trying to connect my VST the Addictive Keys from XLNAudio with the MODRACK ADSR. For the Addictive Keys as a VST Plugin has no ADSR manipulation. You have to plugin a pedal to your keyboard. But I want to manipulate the Release Note. How do I connect it. Has anybody some experience. Is this in general possibil?

I tried everything. Image

Attachments
reason talk 002.jpg
reason talk 002.jpg (261.32 KiB) Viewed 950 times
reason talk 001.jpg
reason talk 001.jpg (247.37 KiB) Viewed 950 times

jam-s

02 May 2020

I think you will have to put both in a combinator and also a RPG-8 to get the note and gate CV. Then you would have to wire the gate CV output from the RPG-8 to the ADSR CV in and then the ADSR cv out to the gate CV in of the VST. Also wire the note CV to the CV in on the VST. Then in the programmer section of the combinator enable the "receive notes" only for the RPG-8.

This should work, but from a quick test the ADSR seems to be broken as it does not generate any envelope and only outputs the sustain value.

The combinator patch I explained above:
ADSR-Test.zip
(4.1 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
(You will have to replace the VST as I don't have any XLN plugins.)

An alternative that might be much easier is to just automate the sustain of the VST in the sequencer.
Last edited by jam-s on 02 May 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Loque

02 May 2020

What are you trying to do? Makig the notes longer? Therefor is normally the Sustain peddal, which can be automated or overwritten with a different MIDI controller.

If mono is ok for you, go with jam-s solution. If you need poly, you need to do a little bit more...
Reason12, Win10

VIVIsect

02 May 2020

simonphinix1986 wrote:
01 May 2020
For the Addictive Keys as a VST Plugin has no ADSR manipulation.
It does. Go to "Edit" and click on the "Volume" tab. Uncheck "Release Samples" box (a bit confusing because it appears "grayed out"), and then you can manually adjust ADSR.

Murf
RE Developer

02 May 2020

jam-s wrote:
02 May 2020

This should work, but from a quick test the ADSR seems to be broken as it does not generate any envelope and only outputs the sustain value.
Can I see what you tried to do please?

challism

02 May 2020

Murf wrote:
02 May 2020
jam-s wrote:
02 May 2020

User jam-s attached a file that shows what was done. Looks like there aren't any downloads of the file yet.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

jam-s

02 May 2020

Murf wrote:
02 May 2020
jam-s wrote:
02 May 2020

Here is another version of the combi patch. You can see the gate signal going up, but the CV after the ADSR is just staying at the sustain level:
ADSR-Test2.zip
(4.48 KiB) Downloaded 23 times

Murf
RE Developer

02 May 2020

jam-s wrote:
02 May 2020
Murf wrote:
02 May 2020

Here is another version of the combi patch. You can see the gate signal going up, but the CV after the ADSR is just staying at the sustain level: ADSR-Test2.zip
Firstly, there is a bug in ADSR 1.0 that affects use with RPG-8, and also limits sustain to a maximum of 0.5 instead of 1.0.

The patch that fixes these issues is waiting for approval by the Reason Studios dev team.
The new version will also honor GATE CV in volume level to affect the overall gain of the output envelope.

Secondly, you cant use MODRACK ADSR to control the envelope of a synth RE just by using the GATE and NOTE CV IN, you need to get it to completely drive the AMP envelope within the synth. I have not played with this yet and would welcome to see if someone can give a good example of this.

These modules I made are primarily to be used with each other to build a modular synth, and I have attached an example of this using MODRACK VCO,VCA, and ADSR where the free Hamu RE "ModPanel 8" is used with a midi keyboard (or F4 on screen keyboard) to generate the NOTE and GATE CV to drive this functionality.
Attachments
adsr with modular synth.zip
(2.85 KiB) Downloaded 21 times

simonphinix1986

03 May 2020

Hello thanks everyone. Especially @VIVIsect. Didn't know that the functions are hidden there. Even the support from XLN Audio didn't know this and couldn't help me at the time.

I don't like to connect a pedal. I prefer to play with a little finish, i.e. to turn the release knob like in NN-XT or NN19.
Hey @MURF. Thank you. Thanks to all.
As I said it works now. The piano sound now fades away and I can play with sustain.

simonphinix1986

03 May 2020

Another Question: Is Addictive Keys oder Spectrasonics Keyscape better (soundwise)? What is your opinion?

VIVIsect

03 May 2020

simonphinix1986 wrote:
03 May 2020
Hello thanks everyone. Especially @VIVIsect. Didn't know that the functions are hidden there. Even the support from XLN Audio didn't know this and couldn't help me at the time.
No problem! Yeah, I don't know why it's hidden away like that. It took me forever to discover it myself, and I've seen numerous other people trying to figure out how to manually adjust ADSR too. They really should have made it more obvious. Not everybody likes using sustain pedals!

• Information