Adam Fielding's Livestream Thread (next stream-date in first post)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EsotericSound

23 Apr 2020

I was able to catch bits and pieces of this while working. I first tuned in around the 45 minute mark, and I swear I was hearing a little bit of Iris influences. I think it was the tempo and the drum sounds. I think that snare drum in particular sounds like 2nd or 3rd Iris album.

Looking forward to catching the rest. Cheers!

adfielding

24 Apr 2020

EsotericSound wrote:
23 Apr 2020
I was able to catch bits and pieces of this while working. I first tuned in around the 45 minute mark, and I swear I was hearing a little bit of Iris influences. I think it was the tempo and the drum sounds. I think that snare drum in particular sounds like 2nd or 3rd Iris album.

Looking forward to catching the rest. Cheers!
Ha, that's really interesting! Awakening is one of my absolute favourite albums of all time, so it follows that it'd bleed into something I'd write with a bit of a 2000s flavour :) Also, fun fact - a lot of the drums on Awakening are from BT's Breaks From The Nu Skool sample disc. I used Twisted Textures a ton from 2005 onwards, and lusted after BFTNS for years... I finally picked it up in 2010 and rinsed it on a few production projects... and then never touched it again.

I've archived the stream on YouTube now, so if you missed it you can check it out here:

...and if you'd like to hear the finished tune, that's available here.

If you're using Reason 11 and you'd like to check out the project file, I've got that available here as well.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3asiir3zc5t60 ... eason?dl=1

Next week I'm going to be going over the most recent batch of tunes I've worked on during these streams and talk a bit about what I've changed, what I would have done differently, and all that kind of stuff. It'll be a bit more of a free-form Q&A session, so if you've got anything you'd like to ask or anything you'd like me to go over then that'll be the time to do it!

I've had an absolute blast doing these streams for the past month, and I'd love to keep it up. It really means a lot that people are choosing to spend their time joining me for these streams, and it's absolutely not something I take for granted. It's amazing to see such a friendly community in the chat every week. Thanks so much to everyone who's been coming along to these, and thanks to everyone who's been watching on YouTube after the fact!

Tiny Montgomery

29 Apr 2020

Just wanted to say I've loved these recent streams Adam. Even got the Evolve drum samples (yes they're good!).

adfielding

30 Apr 2020

Tiny Montgomery wrote:
29 Apr 2020
Just wanted to say I've loved these recent streams Adam. Even got the Evolve drum samples (yes they're good!).
Thanks, I'm really glad to hear you're liking them! If you like the free samples I can heartily recommend checking out the full version of Drumvolution, or the Ableton Live pack which includes all the samples as WAV files. (I know it sounds like I'm totally shilling for Wave Alchemy here - I wish - but no, I just really like their stuff)

I'll be streaming again tonight (April 30th) at 7pm UK time, this time doing more of a retrospective look at the tunes I've written during these streams over the past month while talking about what I liked, what I didn't like, and what I'd like to do. I'll also be doing a bit of a general Q&A throughout so I'm hoping for it to be a pretty relaxed session all-round :)

It'll be over at the usual place (i.e. twitch.tv/adfielding), and I'd love to see some of you there!

As an aside: I must say I've really enjoyed seeing such a friendly community joining me and chatting away during these sessions, it really means a lot that people are choosing to spend some time with me making noise & waffling on about Reason and it's brilliant to see such a chilled, friendly vibe in the chat. Thanks!

adfielding

01 May 2020

Thanks so much to everyone who came along during last night's stream, it was really fantastic to break things up and take stock of what I've been doing over the previous few weeks. Really looking forward to getting back into making some music on stream next Thursday now :)

The stream is up now on YouTube in case you missed it, though I've also decided to start highlighting these streams on Twitch so they shouldn't (in theory) expire over there, which means you can also check out the chat as it happened to give a bit of context. Which is neat! Sort of wish I'd thought of doing that sooner, but definitely something I'll be doing from now on. Anyway - here's the YouTube version.

I'll be back next Thursday (7th May) at 7pm UK time/8pm CEST/2pm EDT for another music making session. I've got a few ideas I'd love to try for the next round of music-making sessions - some of which I touched upon during last night's stream - so right now it's kind of a case of picking which one to go with. Should be fun!

adfielding

07 May 2020

I'll be streaming again, tonight (May 7th) at 7pm UK time (8pm CEST / 2pm EDT) and I'll be back to music-making again this week.

The sun's picked up a bit here so I'm vaguely toying with the idea of doing something kind of lounge-y and chilled, might make a nice change from the most recent sessions. I'm also thinking of sticking entirely with R11 suite stock devices for this one, which could be an interesting challenge.

I'll be at the usual place over at twitch.tv/adfielding, and I'll be dropping in just before 7pm to settle in beforehand. Would love to see some of you there :)

EdwardKiy

07 May 2020

Wonderful! Keep them coming, Adam! Learning a lot from you.

adfielding

08 May 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
07 May 2020
Wonderful! Keep them coming, Adam! Learning a lot from you.
Thanks! I had a great time with last night's stream, it was really interesting to work on something using only stock devices & samples for a change! I've uploaded the stream now to YouTube, so if anyone missed it you can now check it out here.

Also, I've decided to start keeping all of my live-stream projects & MP3 exports in one place, so you can grab those here. As I mentioned, last night's track was made using nothing but Reason 11 Suite devices & samples, so if you have Reason 11 Suite you're good to go!
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8ngvvneo5431 ... 22H4a?dl=0

Thanks again to everyone who made it last night, I had an absolute blast with this one and I'll be doing another stream, same time next week - 7pm BST, 14th May :)

EsotericSound

08 May 2020

Enjoyed the stream.

At one point towards the end, some suggested you "stretch that bird". I think that's a perfect title for that track. :)

rgdaniel

09 May 2020

adfielding wrote:
08 May 2020
I had a great time with last night's stream, it was really interesting to work on something using only stock devices & samples for a change! I've uploaded the stream now to YouTube, so if anyone missed it you can now check it out here.
Terrific stuff, Adam! I made it all the way to the end. Which is more of a compliment than it sounds - I have the attention span of a toddler these days.

adfielding

09 May 2020

EsotericSound wrote:
08 May 2020
Enjoyed the stream.

At one point towards the end, some suggested you "stretch that bird". I think that's a perfect title for that track. :)
Ha! ngl, to me it sounds like some kind of terrible euphemism out of context... but maybe that's just me :)
rgdaniel wrote:
09 May 2020
Terrific stuff, Adam! I made it all the way to the end. Which is more of a compliment than it sounds - I have the attention span of a toddler these days.
Cheers! They're pretty lengthy so I absolutely take that as a compliment - funnily enough it doesn't feel anywhere near as long when I'm actually doing them. Such is the magic of the "making music time dilation" phenomenon, I guess!

adfielding

15 May 2020

Whoops, I totally forgot to give a pre-stream announcement here last night... go figure. Anyway, huge thanks to everyone who made it last night despite my lack of announcement! As always I've uploaded the original stream to YouTube, and the project files/exports are now available to download here.

The archived stream is available on YouTube here.

I'll be doing another music-making stream, same time next week. Cheers!

EsotericSound

16 May 2020

Really enjoyed this one, especially the chat-suggest rap lyrics. If you won't rap over it, someone from here should. It just kind of calls for it.

And on another note, a suggested song title could be "Stretch n' Sniff". Or not. :D

rgdaniel

16 May 2020

adfielding wrote:
15 May 2020
Will you once again be stretching that bird? (Working title of my current song is "Stretch That Bird") :lol:

adfielding

18 May 2020

EsotericSound wrote:
16 May 2020
Really enjoyed this one, especially the chat-suggest rap lyrics. If you won't rap over it, someone from here should. It just kind of calls for it.

And on another note, a suggested song title could be "Stretch n' Sniff". Or not. :D
Haha, thanks! Well, the project file's out there so if anyone wants to take a stab at it... I say go for it :) Just let me know so I can check it out and give it a spin! I do quite like how the loon/bird sample has become a bit of a thing, I'm absolutely going to keep using the "nasal riser" as a technique for getting quick risers going because damn that worked surprisingly well! Love it when new ideas pop out like that.
rgdaniel wrote:
16 May 2020
adfielding wrote:
15 May 2020
Will you once again be stretching that bird? (Working title of my current song is "Stretch That Bird") :lol:
I don't want to commit to it with absolute certainty but... yeah who am I kidding, the bird/loon thing is probably going to end up in whatever I do this week, no use in me fighting it :D

Billy+

19 May 2020

Hi all buskin bills here,

glad the rap lyrics are a thing, getting back to the next session I voted house but that kinda leaves a big list of possible sub genres https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styles_of_house_music

so after a bit of review of the list I think i would like to suggest a U.K. Based style that I loved to rave to back in the 90's Scouse House
https://www.list.co.uk/article/44716-cl ... ounce-nrg/
The link has a few examples but the main theme was always happy,

:edit
I've even found an old donk using SubTractor

adfielding

20 May 2020

edit: quick reminder that the next stream is going ahead tomorrow - May 21st, at 7pm BST (8pm CEST, 2pm EDT) over at Twitch. Hope to see some of you there :)
Billy wrote:
19 May 2020
Hi all buskin bills here,

glad the rap lyrics are a thing, getting back to the next session I voted house but that kinda leaves a big list of possible sub genres https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styles_of_house_music

so after a bit of review of the list I think i would like to suggest a U.K. Based style that I loved to rave to back in the 90's Scouse House
https://www.list.co.uk/article/44716-cl ... ounce-nrg/
The link has a few examples but the main theme was always happy,
Thanks for the suggestions! Must admit Scouse House isn't really my cup of tea, I was thinking something more progressive house-y but whether it ends up sounding like that is another matter entirely :)

fwiw I've been playing with some quick ideas and I've got a little VK-2 based arp pattern I'm quite happy with, so I might start with that ready-to-go this week for a change.

jlick76

21 May 2020

Adam,
You changed the game for me where Reason is concerned! I've been using Reason since V4 and Ive picked up on a lot of tips and tricks over the years but never has a real workflow clicked for me like it has since I've watched you're live streams! You've literally become one of my biggest music making influences! Your workflow is the most cohesive set of mixing, editing and sound design in Reason that I have ever seen in one setting. I am truly grateful for your videos and excited to see what you have coming down the pike!

adfielding

22 May 2020

jlick76 wrote:
21 May 2020
Adam,
You changed the game for me where Reason is concerned! I've been using Reason since V4 and Ive picked up on a lot of tips and tricks over the years but never has a real workflow clicked for me like it has since I've watched you're live streams! You've literally become one of my biggest music making influences! Your workflow is the most cohesive set of mixing, editing and sound design in Reason that I have ever seen in one setting. I am truly grateful for your videos and excited to see what you have coming down the pike!
Oh hey, thanks a lot for the kind words! I'm really glad to hear you've been getting something from these streams, I've been having a blast making them and it's been a wonderful way to play around with genres I'm less familiar with or haven't touched for a while during lockdown.

On a tangential note - for anyone who missed last night's stream, you can check it out on YouTube now via this handy link.

As always, I've uploaded both the MP3/WAV exports and the Reason project file, so if you want to see how it was put together you can dive in and have a look.

Alternatively, if you just want to listen to the finished track then I've uploaded it to Soundcloud here.

Looking forward to getting something down again next Thursday! Thanks to everyone who made it last night, and to everyone who's been checking out these streams whether live or after the fact. Cheers! :)

EsotericSound

23 May 2020

Good fun watching as always. And thanks to you, I bought Disperser and it just improves every single kick sample.

As an aside, I got those free wave alchemy drums and put some of them through the Quadelectra LM1. Wow. The drum machine ads some crispness to those samples that hard to beat.

Also, what do you think about potentially running through a session where you create something similar in style to Void Chapter? :)

Billy+

25 May 2020

Adam It's Monday but no Q & A session? Are you out enjoying the sun

adfielding

25 May 2020

Thanks! I really need to try that out - I’m a fan of crunching up drums so that sounds right up my street :) as for something more VC-related - I’m probably going to hold off for now, we’ve had some really (really!) cool news in the VC camp but with everything that’s been going on in the world we’ve had to put a bit of a pin in it for now... but things are cooking nicely indeed!
Billy wrote:
25 May 2020
Adam It's Monday but no Q & A session? Are you out enjoying the sun
Yeah, sorry about that - I ended up having a few too many G&Ts during a family quiz via Zoom last night so I’ve been vegging out in the garden all day. I fully intend to cover a lot of this stuff during next weeks stream, but I might dip in a little early on Thursday to properly catch up :)

Billy+

25 May 2020

adfielding wrote:
25 May 2020

Yeah, sorry about that - I ended up having a few too many G&Ts during a family quiz via Zoom last night so I’ve been vegging out in the garden all day.
I feel for you, I stopped drinking gin when I was 14 after a bit too much one night.

Looking forward to Thursday, see you all then.

adfielding

28 May 2020

Just a little reminder that I'm streaming again tonight (28th May) at 7pm BST again. Join in the chat and ask me about stuff, or help me steer whatever tune happens to pop out :)

• Information