Forgotten Waveshaper 2 is now available!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Loque

15 Nov 2019

ForgottenClank wrote:
15 Nov 2019
Bonkhead wrote:
14 Nov 2019
I am completely blown away by this device. The amount of possibilities is endless, and beyond, my smile doesn't stop. This is gonna make me spend months, even years, to master everything it can do, I'm sure. Next I would like to thank ForgottenClank for being able to make use of the limited upgrade opportunity which is a big gift in itself imho, I almost feel guilty ! Will buy more stuff for support in the near future :)
Glad you like it, it was my pleasure! A rating in the shop always helps me out if you want to return the favour. There is more stuff coming so stay tuned!
Sorry, looks like I cannot vote since quite a long time now. I can click the stars, it shows the voting, but if i refresh the site it shows nothing and i can vote again. So i think it is broken and i am tired to report all those little bugs to RS...
Reason12, Win10

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

15 Nov 2019

Oh, I see. Just a guess, but maybe free licenses are excluded from rating? Or does this happen on other (bought) products as well?

Loque

15 Nov 2019

ForgottenClank wrote:
15 Nov 2019
Oh, I see. Just a guess, but maybe free licenses are excluded from rating? Or does this happen on other (bought) products as well?
Good question...Ah, yea. Its not possible to vote in that case, which also makes sense. But a little hint would be nice...
Reason12, Win10

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

15 Nov 2019

Small PSA: Unfortunately, a bug slipped through. When using the "Dynamics" section lowering the ratio extends attack and release times. Hopefully I can convince Reason Studios to let me change this behaviour (they are usually not keen on updates changing the sound of existing patches/songs), so if you're using ratios other than infinity:1, an update will make it a bit more aggressive. I've already fixed it on my side but Reason Studios has to validate the change, which can take some time.

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

19 Nov 2019

v1.1 will soon be available and I've made a video showing the new feature: Attack and release curves.

Loque

19 Nov 2019

Wow...
Reason12, Win10

chaosroyale

20 Nov 2019

This should be a Reason native device. It would update and replace the old compressors, distortion, the pulverizer, and bring a real sense of power and inspiration to sound design.

How many years has it been since a Reason device was this impressive? The RV7000mk ii? Malstrom? A long time.

seqoi

23 Nov 2019

I am demoing waveshaper 1 and 2 .

I like sound of Waveshaper 1. I also like 2. Hence i have questions.

1. Can i completely "migrate" sound (or a preset) of Waveshaper 1 to waveshaper 2. Example: Since i like Waveshaper 1 ease of use, sometimes i dial in sound really quickly. And i like it a lot! However maybe i would like to get same sound from Waveshaper 2 and start experimenting on v2 further (since there are more modes). So basically is it possible to fully reconstruct sound of v1 in v2?

2. Is waveshaper 1 going to be available in the shop forever or not (since v2 is there) ?

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

23 Nov 2019

seqoi wrote:
23 Nov 2019
1. Can i completely "migrate" sound (or a preset) of Waveshaper 1 to waveshaper 2.
Presets are not cross-compatible but you can get very close by placing the points in the same places and getting the curve's intensities the same.
seqoi wrote:
23 Nov 2019
Example: Since i like Waveshaper 1 ease of use, sometimes i dial in sound really quickly. And i like it a lot! However maybe i would like to get same sound from Waveshaper 2 and start experimenting on v2 further (since there are more modes). So basically is it possible to fully reconstruct sound of v1 in v2?
I'd have to check but I think "Logarithmic Points" works slightly differently and the curve shapes may also be slightly different. But in essence it is the same concept. However, I don't see how FWS 1 would be easier to use. When you use the "Init Patch" on FWS 2 it's basically the routing of FWS 1 but with more options and a bigger display. You can just ignore the new features and basically have the FWS 1.
seqoi wrote:
23 Nov 2019
2. Is waveshaper 1 going to be available in the shop forever or not (since v2 is there) ?
I haven't fully decided yet but for the moment I'll let it stay in the shop. However, it is a deprecated version so it will not receive any more updates.

seqoi

24 Nov 2019

Thanks for your answers!!!!

retreed
Competition Winner

25 Apr 2020

I tought I'd share two combinators that I like to use on drums. It's meant to add some crunch to things without making it much louder and fast A/B.
The tuby one can do something on some kicks or toms while the other one does something on snares, OHs, etc. and something more.

Maybe it's useful for someone. :thumbs_up:
Attachments
fws2_drums.zip
(13.75 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

retreed
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2020

During the "spring-cleaning" (keeping the useful patches) I thought I'd share another one.

It's a clipper in a Combinator (clipping above -18 dB or -12 dB, hard or softer), which means it cuts the peaks above the set values and will never go beyond. I chose -12 dB because of Selig's peak reference mixing most people here know of.

Set the "INPUT" to taste while running the audio through it, it starts low but can go into distortion.

Add some "DRIVE" if you want extra distortion ("analog"/"digital" shape), activate the "COMPRESSOR" and set the threshold for the "DRIVE" distortion before it goes into the clipper. The distortion from the "DRIVE" can be applied solely to MID/SIDE signal if needed, the clipping happens on the stereo signal after that.

Maybe it's useful. :)
Attachments
fws2_clipper.zip
(8.56 KiB) Downloaded 49 times

Jens

01 Jun 2020

*ouch*

I purchased this yesterday after reading all the praise here… just to find out that it seems practically useless to me - I should have tested it before purchasing (had no time to)

As far as I see it that the envelope follower works totally hard-knee With no control over the knee whatsoever, so it works prcatically only on an on/off basis, which is not at all what you'd need for analog-style distortion, which normally reacts gradually depending on the signal level.

I had hoped/assumed that this would be a RE alternative to Bluecat Destructor, however no such joy at all.

Is there any chance that this might change in the future?

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

01 Jun 2020

Jens wrote:
01 Jun 2020
Very unlikely. But if you have compressor that supports the type of knee you need and has a CV output you can do the following setup as a workaround: Put an instance of the FWS2 into a combinator, along with the compressor that provides the CV. Split the signal so it goes to the input of both devices. Route the CV output of the compressor to one of the CV inputs on the combinator. Set up the combinator so the CV input you chose controls the dry/wet parameter of the module where you want the effect to happen. It won't work as well as an envelope follower built into FWS2 (because CV does not support per sample information but in batches of 64 samples and because the dry/wet parameter is smoothed by the FWS2 internally) but it might be good enough for you.

Loque

01 Jun 2020

ForgottenClank wrote:
01 Jun 2020
Jens wrote:
01 Jun 2020
Very unlikely. But if you have compressor that supports the type of knee you need and has a CV output you can do the following setup as a workaround: Put an instance of the FWS2 into a combinator, along with the compressor that provides the CV. Split the signal so it goes to the input of both devices. Route the CV output of the compressor to one of the CV inputs on the combinator. Set up the combinator so the CV input you chose controls the dry/wet parameter of the module where you want the effect to happen. It won't work as well as an envelope follower built into FWS2 (because CV does not support per sample information but in batches of 64 samples and because the dry/wet parameter is smoothed by the FWS2 internally) but it might be good enough for you.
Here is one, i built it for you. The important parts are marked with a red rectangle. Use the Compressor to generate the envelope curve. Replace it by a Compressor of your choice, but it needs a Gain-Reduction output (look at the back of the Compressor and follow the signal into Lolth).

I have routed the Envelope to Dry/Wet control, but it can be anything you like.
forgottonenvelopefollower.zip
(3.86 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
generalevelopefollower.jpg
generalevelopefollower.jpg (204.82 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
Reason12, Win10

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

01 Jun 2020

Thanks, Loque!

Arjanders

07 Oct 2020

ForgottenClank wrote:
01 Jun 2020
I dived in the forgotten waveshaper, it has so much options. I read in the (very well written) manual you are thinking of how to implement the cv input. I was thinking a matrix would be awesome for this. The user could assign the cv input to the desired parameter on the device without the routing in the combinator.
Thanks for this flexible device, so much options and so much to learn and experiment!

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

07 Oct 2020

Arjanders wrote:
07 Oct 2020
I dived in the forgotten waveshaper, it has so much options. I read in the (very well written) manual you are thinking of how to implement the cv input. I was thinking a matrix would be awesome for this. The user could assign the cv input to the desired parameter on the device without the routing in the combinator.
Thanks for this flexible device, so much options and so much to learn and experiment!
Glad you like it! The development is very slow at the moment. Unfortunately, I wouldn't expect updates to come any time soon, I'm afraid. CV matrix would definitely be my preferred way too.

• Information