Reason Rack Plugin opinions? Experience in Cubase or Studio One? RRP vs. ReWire?

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
aegisninja

27 Apr 2020

Hello everyone,

I've been using Reason for the last 3 or 4 years, and have loved my time with it, but I am considering that it might be time to move on from it as my primary DAW as it was never really designed to do what I am doing most of the time (orchestral mockups and recording bands).

With that said, I am fairly heavily invested in the Reason ecosystem and don't want to move away from it completely.

Does anyone have experience using the plugin in Cubase or Studio One? How is the plugin compared to the old somewhat cumbersome method of using Rewire? Additionally, is there anything you really miss by not using the full DAW?

ab459

27 Apr 2020

Can't say about experience of use RP in DAW in general (since me started just recently), but comparing with Rewire, obviously that rackplugin a much more useful\convenient in all sences, so it's near to incomparable.
Remembering the ReWire, I tried to use it just a couple of times, and did not want more. It's was some pain.

enossified

27 Apr 2020

I'm using the RRP inside Logic. It's much simpler than Rewire in the sense that you don't have to set up multiple MIDI outputs and audio inputs in the host DAW, just drop the plugin onto a track.

What you don't have:

--- the sequencer (doh)

--- the full mixer...the channel strip dynamics and EQ are available as individual devices as is the master bus compressor, if you want to use them

--- existing combinators using VSTs will not work (REs will work, though)

--- no way to directly convert existing Reason projects into RRP instances

--- remote control from a controller is much more complicated to set up

koshal

27 Apr 2020

The Reason Rack works awesome in Studio One for me. I've made the switch fully to S1 as the DAW and using Reason as an instrument/effect plugin. I tried doing this in the past with Rewire and it was a huge PITA and more limited in what was possible.

Right now my biggest issue is just the GUI scaling of the Reason Rack in 4k. Studio One running in 4k on Windows does some weird things for displaying non hi res plugins so it makes a bad problem even worse.

I've resorted to using the magnifier feature in Windows (and mapped it to hardware macro buttons on my keyboard). If/when Reason gets high-res support I think it will be perfect.

aegisninja

28 Apr 2020

This leaves me with a decent amount of optimism for the plugin. I think the only thing I am REALLY going to miss is the SSL mixer.

ab459

28 Apr 2020

aegisninja wrote:
28 Apr 2020
is the SSL mixer.
Holy...
Ok, i keep silent. Just perhaps very different tasks\matter of taste etc
Just, this is the least that i would be afraid to lost.

aegisninja

28 Apr 2020

ab459 wrote:
28 Apr 2020
aegisninja wrote:
28 Apr 2020
is the SSL mixer.
Holy...
Hahaha, different strokes, my dude. I should probably say that I used an SSL AWS 948 a lot in college, so maybe it's the nostalgia.

ab459

28 Apr 2020

aegisninja wrote:
28 Apr 2020
ab459 wrote:
28 Apr 2020

Holy...
Hahaha, different strokes, my dude. I should probably say that I used an SSL AWS 948 a lot in college, so maybe it's the nostalgia.
Oh, got it :)

danc

28 Apr 2020

aegisninja wrote:
28 Apr 2020
This leaves me with a decent amount of optimism for the plugin. I think the only thing I am REALLY going to miss is the SSL mixer.
I produce in S1 100% these days - use RRP for instruments and FX and love it. Listen to my track in footer - huge amount of RRP in there but arranged in S1 because it's so much quicker, friendlier, more organised, feels more professional and S1 doesn't spend it's life crashing VSTs when I boot up the DAW.

Don't get me wrong - love Reason - just needed it to sit in a more mature environment and RRP is it for me. LOVE IT.
Check my Soundcloud:

antic604

28 Apr 2020

koshal wrote:
27 Apr 2020
Right now my biggest issue is just the GUI scaling of the Reason Rack in 4k. Studio One running in 4k on Windows does some weird things for displaying non hi res plugins so it makes a bad problem even worse.
If Studio One is in high DPI mode (in General tab of the Options), then you can 'force' any non-DPI aware plugin to be rescaled to Windows' scaling factor. Because Reason itself is low-res it will be fuzzy/blurry, but at least reasonably sized:

Unless this is what you mean by "Windows does some weird things for displaying non hi res plugins so it makes a bad problem even worse" :)
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

koshal

28 Apr 2020

antic604 wrote:
28 Apr 2020
koshal wrote:
27 Apr 2020
If Studio One is in high DPI mode (in General tab of the Options), then you can 'force' any non-DPI aware plugin to be rescaled to Windows' scaling factor. Because Reason itself is low-res it will be fuzzy/blurry, but at least reasonably sized:

Unless this is what you mean by "Windows does some weird things for displaying non hi res plugins so it makes a bad problem even worse" :)

Haha yeah that's basically what I was referring to in terms of weirdness. That option is nice and works well for certain non hi-res plugins but for others completely messes up the UI. RRP at least renders with with that option on but seems to have lots of weirdness and glitchiness on my system (as pictured below) so I prefer to use the magnifier.
Annotation 2020-04-28 130236.png
Annotation 2020-04-28 130236.png (907.68 KiB) Viewed 1145 times

BadMusic

28 Apr 2020

I regularly ReWire Reason 10 into various DAW's. I have a low tolerance for cumbersome, but it hasn't been cumbersome for me. P.S. I guess it's a little cumbersome since I have to load a Reason project into Reason after Reason gets loaded into the master DAW, now that you mention it.

• Information