Lyra-8

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Libraquaricorn

09 Apr 2020

It's the end of the world as we know it, and I just ordered a Lyra-8...

Now I just need my brother to change his plans from getting a Moog Matriarch to getting a Pulsar-23 instead so we can team up and be the ultimate post apocalyptic esoteric dance duo.

I can't really afford it, but just look at this thing:

Jackjackdaw

09 Apr 2020

It's had me tempted as well but I have a no hardware rule in place to protect my bank account. Report back with how you get on with it!

Loque

09 Apr 2020

I seriously need to make more drones :-D
Reason12, Win10

adfielding

09 Apr 2020

Libraquaricorn wrote:
09 Apr 2020
Welcome to the club :)

I had a play around with a Lyra-8 back in February during the "before-times" - I ended up recording 90 minutes worth of stuff from it, which I then hacked up and used as a basis for sampling. Over the next week I sort-of inadvertendly wrote an ambient album using those samples in Reason. This is one of the tracks.

I loved it so much that I ended up acquiring one myself. It's such a cool synth, I've never really used anything like it - it's so easy to get lost in while playing with it, and the unpredictability of it makes me feel like I'm coaxing the sounds it wants to produce out of it.

Libraquaricorn

10 Apr 2020

adfielding wrote:
09 Apr 2020
Libraquaricorn wrote:
09 Apr 2020
Welcome to the club :)

I had a play around with a Lyra-8 back in February during the "before-times" - I ended up recording 90 minutes worth of stuff from it, which I then hacked up and used as a basis for sampling. Over the next week I sort-of inadvertendly wrote an ambient album using those samples in Reason. This is one of the tracks.

I loved it so much that I ended up acquiring one myself. It's such a cool synth, I've never really used anything like it - it's so easy to get lost in while playing with it, and the unpredictability of it makes me feel like I'm coaxing the sounds it wants to produce out of it.
Wow, that is an amazing track that totally justifies your ownership of this enigmatic machine.

Well, I have been obsessing over the Lyra for weeks now, so when I had a bit too much beer with my brother on skype the other day I just could not resist the siren song of the Lyra any longer and - BAM - gear4music had a Black Beast heading my way.

Everything I've read about it and all the videos I've seen strongly suggest that I need this thing in my life. I mean, when Paul Nagle writes in Sound On Sound: "I don’t fully understand my wife either but — like her — the Lyra-8 is beautifully put together and has the capacity to surprise, delight and occasionally terrify." I'm instantly intrigued.

Youtuber Loopop also did not hep me resist when he said: "I've often found myself wanting a cigarette after using it and I dont even smoke."

I look forward to lose myself in it and if I can use it to make any thing remotely as beautiful as your track, adfielding, then it will be worth it. It's not like the thing will decrease in value over time if it's taken good care of. It seems like a timeless piece of gear that is more an investment than an expence.. I'm still not telling the wife though... :roll:

adfielding

10 Apr 2020

Libraquaricorn wrote:
10 Apr 2020
I look forward to lose myself in it and if I can use it to make any thing remotely as beautiful as your track, adfielding, then it will be worth it. It's not like the thing will decrease in value over time if it's taken good care of. It seems like a timeless piece of gear that is more an investment than an expence.. I'm still not telling the wife though... :roll:
Thanks! Just a heads-up though - that track is far from what you can expect to get straight out of the Lyra-8, I was using it as a sound source there but there's a fair bit of additional composition/processing going on in there. That said, you CAN get really wonderful sounds directly out of it, and I intend to try recording some of that stuff soon.

Thankfully my wife is sympathetic to my noise-making ventures, though she's still half-convinced that it's posessed. fwiw I think she might be right.

edit: I ended up getting a white one as the black ones were out of stock, didn't fancy the orange/green ones... definitely not my cuppa tea!

EdGrip

10 Apr 2020

Now I want one!
But I definitely can't afford one. Tempted to learn a bit more about them and see what I can cobble together out of VK-2s and/or other bits and pieces.
Someone cleverer than me should do a M4L version!

EdGrip

10 Apr 2020

That track is delicious, Adam.

EdGrip

10 Apr 2020

This thread suggests I'm being optimistic - https://www.elektronauts.com/t/lyra-8-a ... s/92734/22
Still.....

Libraquaricorn

10 Apr 2020

adfielding wrote:
10 Apr 2020

Thanks! Just a heads-up though - that track is far from what you can expect to get straight out of the Lyra-8, I was using it as a sound source there but there's a fair bit of additional composition/processing going on in there. That said, you CAN get really wonderful sounds directly out of it, and I intend to try recording some of that stuff soon.

Thankfully my wife is sympathetic to my noise-making ventures, though she's still half-convinced that it's posessed. fwiw I think she might be right.

edit: I ended up getting a white one as the black ones were out of stock, didn't fancy the orange/green ones... definitely not my cuppa tea!
Yes, I figured you didn't pull that track straight out of the Lyra. I went for the black one because it was slightly cheaper and I really like the colour. I think I will have to change its name to the Ebony Angel, though.

Libraquaricorn

21 Apr 2020

I've had my Lyra-8 for a few days now and I'm slowly getting to know her. She has my full attention every time I step into my little "man cave" and I feel like that's the way it's going to be for a long while.

I want to buy her a reverb pedal - preferably a TC Electronic Hall of Fame. I have not introduced her to Reason yet, but I might do that soon. Then I'll have lots of reverbs - and compressor plugins - and a way to record her... but there's no rush.
For now, I just like to sit down with her and just see what she can do, where she can take us. Yes, she can get in a state and she is noisy as hell, but - whoa - can she captivate me! She's quite the temptress, making me go just a little bit too far, for just a little bit too long, just a little bit too often ("Jeeeezes, dad! What IS that noise coming from your office?!? And when is dinner, we're hungry!").

When I'm not with her I often find myself reading her manual on my phone and picturing things I'd like to do to her, visualising her signal flow and trying to understand how she works, the intricacies of her FM capabilities and so on.

The idea of the whole being greater than the sum of the individual parts really applies to her in a way I have not experienced with another instrument before. Just slowly moving one of the voices' tune knobs sometimes feels like rotating a kaleidoscope.

Maybe we reach somewhere special and I just stop moving and she hums and glows and vibrate and we linger there for a while, me knowing that if I make a move we will probably never be able to go back to that exact same place at another time.

It's probably just the midlife crisis talking, but I would love to take her with me on stage to perform live, but that would be terrifying on sooo many levels.

Well, she is a beast, indeed, but I think I have fallen in love with her...

Libraquaricorn

28 Apr 2020

Here's my first go at recording the Lyra in Reason, with just a bit of added reverb to get the stereo sound.
It's perhaps a bit too pretty...more crazy stuff coming later, I guess....

EdGrip

01 Oct 2020

Someone's done a Lyra-8 VST and it's pay-what-you-can. I will be all over this later.

https://www.gearnews.com/lira-8-vst-org ... -hardware/

EdGrip

03 Oct 2020

EdGrip wrote:
01 Oct 2020
Someone's done a Lyra-8 VST and it's pay-what-you-can. I will be all over this later.

https://www.gearnews.com/lira-8-vst-org ... -hardware/
I was just having a play with this. Loooooooads of fun. I love it. Get it.

• Information