Types of Rack Extensions we haven't seen yet

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
joeyluck

16 Apr 2020

What are some types of REs you thought you might've seen by now? Things that are possible to do within the format.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of these.

Formant Shifter
Currently, the only device in the Reason Rack that offers formant shifting is Neptune. It works well, but like other effects, someone else's approach may work better for certain applications and particular voices. This was something I thought I'd see an offering of in the RE format. I had my fingers crossed that kHs would have a formant shifter at some point to accommodate their kHs Pitch Shifter (which is my goto). It sounds great and is awesome for smooth automation of pitch.

Live Pitch Correction/Auto-tune
Funny I mention a feature of Neptune in my first example with formant shifting, and here is another—live pitch correction. Have any RE developers tried their hand at this?

Anything really with a focus on creative vocals
Look at things like Vocal Synth, OVOX, Manipulator, Pitch Monster, Dehumaniser. Effects that are geared towards both sung vocals and character vocals. There isn't much of a strong focus on vocal effects in the RE world. We have seen some vocoders built into synths like Predator and Parsec...

A Multi-channel Rack Mixer
Something like a successor to the 14:2. Perhaps with less channels and a focus on a custom channel strips (EQ, dynamics, etc). Is there less desire for something like this if people prefer to use separate EQ and dynamics plugin chains on separate Mix and Audio channels with Reason's mixer? I think there would still be a use for something like this when making Combinators. Although, I'd also like to see the Combinator updated with a built-in, auto-routed mixer.

Audio Listen/Assist - Auto adjust EQ, etc.
Things similar to many of iZotope's products that listen to audio and make adjustments as a suggestion and like Balancer from Focusrite/Sonible. Stuff like that. Would this be possible and useful in the RE format?

Auto Leveler - Fader Rider
Something like Waves Vocal Rider, that automates the level with no coloration. I'd like to see this as a built-in feature, I may also pickup Waves Vocal Rider someday. But this seems like something that could do well in the RE format.

Another MPC/Kong/Machine-style Drum Machine
Have there been any other 16x16 pad drum machines, with built-in effects and features with sample loading? This is possible right? People have had suggestions for Kong for sure. Any of those desired features possible in a separate drum machine RE?

Semi-Modular or Modular synth series with controls and graphics mirrored on the back
After I saw the ABL3 update 3 years ago, which included the ability to automate controls on the back panel (by tying them to the front), I thought we might see someone make a modular synth using that concept. Then you could stay on the back panel, do all of your cabling there, access all of the controls and be able to automate from the back panel. Since then, we've seen creative approaches like Complex-1 (also not being duplicated). Although that approach wouldn't work for a modular series of separate devices, whereas an approach using the ABL3 trick would work.

What else?

Loque

16 Apr 2020

Interesting thread, especially for devs looking out for new ideas!

Anything really with a focus on creative vocals:
I think anything can be used to create creative fx for vocals, even a damn sampler. From my POV, more things to mangle sounds in general is always appreciated. We have pitch and frequency shift, grains, modulators in any kind, so things like Manipulator are not so far away. We also have several vox-synths. Those things came in my mind to this point:
* Khs Pitch and Frequency shifter
* Fritz
* Grainshift
* Bitspeak
* Neptune
* Distillery Beat Looper
* Mixfood stutter
* Khs and Synapse Ring Modulator
* And probably a big bunch of stuff i just forgot

We have
* DJ Mixer
* Serial Parallel Effects Mixer
* Morfin crossfader
* Double Dry/wet
But yea, i am waiting for a mixer with more send fx and more pre-fader controlls. Since years now :-( I cant live with 4 sends and 1 pre-fader anymore.

Semi-Modular or Modular synth series with controls and graphics mirrored on the back
I am wondering that not many devs use this approach or even make more freaky things on the backside or use more audio rate modulations.
To modular in general, its too much effort if you want it poly - i hope for some improvements in future. I see Reason as my modular sandbox in general and connect everything with all i want in any way i want - its experimenting heaven!

I do not much with vocals, but a detector and CV does most everything i need. And since you can record this via loopback and than clean the automation, i am fine with it.

What is missing as a RE imo:
* A really good formant filter. Thor, Neptune and several other are ok, but also a bit mehhh. I am pretty disapointed about the Khs Formant Filter (RE version). Today i build my own from EQs or use VSTs, but damn, a really good AEIOU!
* Image to sound converter in realtime with cool editing functions, but i guess, this is not possible and maybe not allowed as a RE
* Modulate one audio source with another one in different ways (be creative!)
* A script engine
* Resonans needs more modules :-P
* Something i currently forgot :-D

I just whish some devs would improve some of their old devices. Like Distillery is great, but the GUI and workflow is a slap in da face. Or just put somethng on the back, like the Kuassa Compressor still does not have a simple CV gain reduction out!
Maybe they dont do it because of the whining about upgrade prices...I dunno...

Yes, there is room for new devices. But please not another EQ, compressor, Channelstrip, Reverb, Delay, Wave/Grain Synth - but if some dev wants to make it, please go beyound the normal stuff!
Reason12, Win10

joeyluck

16 Apr 2020

Loque wrote:
16 Apr 2020
Interesting thread, especially for devs looking out for new ideas!

Anything really with a focus on creative vocals:
I think anything can be used to create creative fx for vocals, even a damn sampler. From my POV, more things to mangle sounds in general is always appreciated. We have pitch and frequency shift, grains, modulators in any kind, so things like Manipulator are not so far away. We also have several vox-synths. Those things came in my mind to this point:
* Khs Pitch and Frequency shifter
* Fritz
* Grainshift
* Bitspeak
* Neptune
* Distillery Beat Looper
* Mixfood stutter
* Khs and Synapse Ring Modulator
* And probably a big bunch of stuff i just forgot
Oh for sure. I've created a good number of character vocal patches with the kHs bundle. I love those plugins. But still, no formant shifter or pitch correction in 3rd party, RE format.

orthodox
RE Developer

16 Apr 2020

joeyluck wrote:
16 Apr 2020
Something like a successor to the 14:2. Perhaps with less channels and a focus on a custom channel strips (EQ, dynamics, etc). Is there less desire for something like this if people prefer to use separate EQ and dynamics plugin chains on separate Mix and Audio channels with Reason's mixer? I think there would still be a use for something like this when making Combinators. Although, I'd also like to see the Combinator updated with a built-in, auto-routed mixer.
I am planning exactly this, just after I finish the current work.

joeyluck

16 Apr 2020

orthodox wrote:
16 Apr 2020
joeyluck wrote:
16 Apr 2020
Cool! Looking forward to it :)

Loque

16 Apr 2020

orthodox wrote:
16 Apr 2020
joeyluck wrote:
16 Apr 2020
sitting here...making prayers....hoping...
Reason12, Win10

Jackjackdaw

16 Apr 2020

orthodox wrote:
16 Apr 2020
joeyluck wrote:
16 Apr 2020
Looking forward to that, I love a good utility!

I think there is a howling lack of samplers. I basicly want Ableton Simpler as a Re with start, end and loop points modulatable like Arturia CMI V. Maybe it's not possible for 3rd P. Devs but Reason Studios need to step up! Nn19 is like having Subtractor as the only synth in Reason 11 .

Yonatan

17 Apr 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
16 Apr 2020
I think there is a howling lack of samplers. I basicly want Ableton Simpler as a Re with start, end and loop points modulatable like Arturia CMI V. Maybe it's not possible for 3rd P. Devs but Reason Studios need to step up! Nn19 is like having Subtractor as the only synth in Reason 11 .
+3 for that! (me, myself and I)

dioxide

17 Apr 2020

My suggestions:

Single Channel Mixer
Single Mixer Channel (similar to Selig Gain) but with 8 Send Effects. All values in dB so it is easy to transfer settings to the Main Mixer if you want to. Peak Meter.

Line Mixer (8 channel) / Mixer (16 channel)
Updates to the Line Mixer and 14:12 Mixer. 4 Sends, perhaps EQ perhaps not. All values in dB so it is easy to transfer settings to the Main Mixer if you want to. Peak Meters.

Performance Mixer
12-16 Channel, short throw fader. Maximum 0db – you should set volumes correctly beforehand, as this device is for mixing live, with the correct maximum level at the maximum fader setting. All values in dB / Hz. Perhaps built-in LFOs to control the Pan for autopanning effects? Perhaps single button fade in / out with curve selection, separate options for fade in and fade out so that a sound could be faded in slowly and removed fast (for example). Peak Meters.

Kong Pads as a Player
The Pad section of Kong as a Player. With easy reassignment via MIDI Note number. Retains all the features of the Kong Pad section (although Mute may have to be done in the Instrument). Perhaps add Beat Repeat options per pad.

Emulation of the Roland Space Echo
It doesn't yet exist in RE format, I'm unsure why as this is a classic piece of hardware.

Loque

17 Apr 2020

While we talk about the mixer:
* enough channels to route the 8 sends back into it + minimum 4 channels
* breakout on backside for each channel send, so 8 stereo break outs per channel
* individual pre fader option
* metering and pan controls would be nice, but not a must
* cv controls for everything
* delay compensation 😂
Reason12, Win10

orthodox
RE Developer

17 Apr 2020

Loque wrote:
17 Apr 2020
Returning sends back to the same box is a bad idea generally. It may be what we are used to in analog world, but here, a DAW sees it as a routing loop and gives up on doing proper delay compensation for send effects. It is better to route the "returns" to another mixer, or to the Main Mixer. One day I hope Reason enables delay comp for every device in the rack and it will make more sense, but even now it saves from unsync with zero latency fx.

Loque

17 Apr 2020

orthodox wrote:
17 Apr 2020
Loque wrote:
17 Apr 2020
Returning sends back to the same box is a bad idea generally. It may be what we are used to in analog world, but here, a DAW sees it as a routing loop and gives up on doing proper delay compensation for send effects. It is better to route the "returns" to another mixer, or to the Main Mixer. One day I hope Reason enables delay comp for every device in the rack and it will make more sense, but even now it saves from unsync with zero latency fx.
I agree. But on some fx like delays/echos, it doesn't matter as long as the buffer size is not too big and here the feedback loop is wanted.
Reason12, Win10

scratchnsnifff

20 Apr 2020

joeyluck wrote:
16 Apr 2020
What are some types of REs you thought you might've seen by now? Things that are possible to do within the format.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of these.

Formant Shifter
Currently, the only device in the Reason Rack that offers formant shifting is Neptune. It works well, but like other effects, someone else's approach may work better for certain applications and particular voices. This was something I thought I'd see an offering of in the RE format. I had my fingers crossed that kHs would have a formant shifter at some point to accommodate their kHs Pitch Shifter (which is my goto). It sounds great and is awesome for smooth automation of pitch.

Live Pitch Correction/Auto-tune
Funny I mention a feature of Neptune in my first example with formant shifting, and here is another—live pitch correction. Have any RE developers tried their hand at this?

Anything really with a focus on creative vocals
Look at things like Vocal Synth, OVOX, Manipulator, Pitch Monster, Dehumaniser. Effects that are geared towards both sung vocals and character vocals. There isn't much of a strong focus on vocal effects in the RE world. We have seen some vocoders built into synths like Predator and Parsec...

Audio Listen/Assist - Auto adjust EQ, etc.
Things similar to many of iZotope's products that listen to audio and make adjustments as a suggestion and like Balancer from Focusrite/Sonible. Stuff like that. Would this be possible and useful in the RE format?

Something like Waves Vocal Rider, that automates the level with no coloration. I'd like to see this as a built-in feature, I may also pickup Waves Vocal Rider someday. But this seems like something that could do well in the RE format.

Have there been any other 16x16 pad drum machines, with built-in effects and features with sample loading? This is possible right? People have had suggestions for Kong for sure. Any of those desired features possible in a separate drum machine RE?

After I saw the ABL3 update 3 years ago, which included the ability to automate controls on the back panel (by tying them to the front), I thought we might see someone make a modular synth using that concept. Then you could stay on the back panel, do all of your cabling there, access all of the controls and be able to automate from the back panel. Since then, we've seen creative approaches like Complex-1 (also not being duplicated). Although that approach wouldn't work for a modular series of separate devices, whereas an approach using the ABL3 trick would work.

What else?
Resynthisis in the proper manor

Like harmor or tone 2 Icarus!!!!!!!
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

plaamook

21 Apr 2020

Samplers.
Grain is awesome but that’s the only significant upgrade in a sampler since I began in Reason 3. Literally.
You can smoke Kong and octo-what’s it. They’re toys not serious samplers.
I still want a single voice version of nnxt w every-single-friggin knob automateable. Every one
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

selig
RE Developer

21 Apr 2020

joeyluck wrote:
16 Apr 2020
Many have asked for an updated Line Mixer for Combinator Instruments/FX. I proposed this a while back,
but sounds like you're talking about something bigger and beyond simple mixing?

BTW, in this version the filters can be individually changed to shelves. No room to add channel inserts or more CV or output faders etc. You COULD cut it down to half the number of channels and add some more features per channel, or more to the master section.
For me, most of the time I just need level control for multiple channels in a Combinator. I'd be happy with a mixer that covered 80% of my personal needs/applications!
Always interested in what others want from a device (always a product developer, I guess). I'd be interested in hearing what folks are actually needing, the "core" wishlist items so so speak:
What exactly do you mean by "custom" channel strips - do you mean switchable between a wide range of choices?
This is for Combinator instruments, right?
What is a use case for needing such sophistication from a small mixer when you could already insert the desired EQ/Compressor before you hit the input to the mixer?
Which is more important to you, more channels, or more features per channel?
Selig Audio, LLC

sdst
Competition Winner

21 Apr 2020

mixer 14 still my main mixer, I find it more comfortable than the big thing

I would buy a new one with filters and panning. but nobody does mixer, It looks like I will have to create my own mixer

orthodox
RE Developer

21 Apr 2020

Looks like we're gonna have many mixers.

selig
RE Developer

21 Apr 2020

orthodox wrote:
21 Apr 2020
I'm not working on one now or any time soon, as I don't have time or feel I've got a good idea what is needed. I was just curious what would actually fit into that format (the mockup was just to test size/number of controls/jacks etc.)
But I'm happy to help anyone else working on one if they feel I have anything useful to offer - wouldn't mind having a new mixer to play with!
Selig Audio, LLC

SebAudio

21 Apr 2020

joeyluck wrote:
16 Apr 2020
A ‘pad’ drum machine I’m not sure. But what about a true synthesis based drum module ? Like the Kong modules but without the pads and a better workflow

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Apr 2020

SebAudio wrote:
21 Apr 2020

A ‘pad’ drum machine I’m not sure. But what about a true synthesis based drum module ? Like the Kong modules but without the pads and a better workflow
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... rum-synth/

? :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

sdst
Competition Winner

21 Apr 2020

orthodox wrote:
21 Apr 2020
if you are going to make a mixer, or to any developer

here an idea, now that the REs can change panels

Fraxis

25 Apr 2020

If anyone is working on a mixer, PLEASE can it have 16 channels, not 14? I think it should be able to cope with all the outputs of a Kong or a couple of UMPFs at the very least. Otherwise you may as well just use chains of the existing one. Or have something that can handle multiple, switchable, banks of 8 channels onscreen, with as many as 24 or 32 inputs and outputs at the back.

SebAudio

26 Apr 2020

MrFigg wrote:
21 Apr 2020
SebAudio wrote:
21 Apr 2020

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... rum-synth/

? :)
Thank you. I wonder why there aren’t more synthetic drum modules. This one is just not enough « sexy » looking for me, kind of a spreadsheet, utilitarian

OverneathTheSkyBridg

26 Apr 2020

Thankyou for reminding me about that EDS06s I've owned for a few years and basically never use. It's a great little drum synthesizer, gonna make more of an effort to screw with it in future work.

superpop

30 Apr 2020

orthodox wrote:
21 Apr 2020
A new mixer is the only RE I'm looking for.

And maybe a simple on/off switch plugin with oversample, 10s lookahead, 128 bit floating point, antialias, master assistant Reason Sound rack extension...

• Information