Adam Fielding's Livestream Thread (next stream-date in first post)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
adfielding

25 Nov 2019

Wook wrote:
23 Nov 2019
Missed it! Thank you for making it available on Youtube. Always enjoy your streams.
No problem! I always try and keep a local recording just in case my connection drops or something, makes archiving quite a bit easier as well :)
botnotbot wrote:
24 Nov 2019
Loved this surprise last Friday! Thanks for getting the streams going again Adam.
Thanks! I'd love to make this a more regular thing, for sure. I tend to prefer the music-making streams as I generally find it easier to talk about something as I'm doing it, but I also enjoy the more "behind-the-scenes/post-mortem"-type vids like these.

stephensmattlee

26 Nov 2019

Hi Adam.
Really enjoying the new stream. Always find seeing how you use Reason and your music making process super inspiring.

On the topic of sci fi movies, I wondered if you’d seen the movie “Upgrade” from last year? Can really recommend it if you haven’t.

adfielding

26 Nov 2019

stephensmattlee wrote:
26 Nov 2019
Hi Adam.
Really enjoying the new stream. Always find seeing how you use Reason and your music making process super inspiring.

On the topic of sci fi movies, I wondered if you’d seen the movie “Upgrade” from last year? Can really recommend it if you haven’t.
Oh yeah, I saw that last year - I enjoyed it, but I think I need to give it another viewing as I must admit I seem to recall not really giving it the attention it deserved at the time! In fact, hey, if anyone else has any interesting recommendations for solid sci-fi flicks then I'm all ears :)

Lempface

06 Dec 2019

Hey Adam, did you start streaming again with your new setup?! Crap, I missed the announcement and don't see anything recent on YouTube.

EDIT: I see its on a different channel now. Hope you do another soon so I can join in. Following this thread now!
Reason 11 Suite | Bitwig Studio 3 | Native Instruments Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's | Komplete Kontrol M32 | Maschine Mikro MK2 | Maschine Jam

adfielding

08 Dec 2019

Lempface wrote:
06 Dec 2019
Hey Adam, did you start streaming again with your new setup?! Crap, I missed the announcement and don't see anything recent on YouTube.
I did, though this was a bit of a one-off to discuss the Void Chapter project (hence why it ended up on the VC YouTube channel) - my future music-making streams will be archived on my usual channel, along with all of my other solo endeavours :)

adfielding

01 Apr 2020

Given the current quarantine situation I spent a bit of time getting my streaming set-up back up and running a couple of days ago (I decided to switch from my old Pro40 to a shiny new Scarlett 4i4 earlier this year which sorta broke my old setup AGAIN), and so I figured it was time to give it a proper spin in the form of an actual stream. So, I'll be streaming again tomorrow :)

So... my next stream will be tomorrow, 2nd April at 7pm BST (UTC+1).

My plan is to write a tune using lots of Players with a bit of a mix between composing in the rack and the sequencer. Will it sound any good? Who knows! I hope some of you can join me and find out.

The stream will be at my usual place over on Twitch, and I intend to archive it on Youtube afterwards (as is tradition).

Would love to see some of you there!

kinkujin

01 Apr 2020

Thanks for continuing to do this. I plan on watching all that I can.

Reasonable man

01 Apr 2020

:puf_smile:

Melody303

02 Apr 2020

Good stuff. :) Thanks for the stream, though I had to abandon ship towards the end (I know you're still going now), as my connection got too shaky, and it's too late here to enjoy it at a proper volume.
I was the one who talked about 303's and Comet and a few other things, by the way. :)
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

adfielding

02 Apr 2020

Melody303 wrote:
02 Apr 2020
Good stuff. :) Thanks for the stream, though I had to abandon ship towards the end (I know you're still going now), as my connection got too shaky, and it's too late here to enjoy it at a proper volume.
I was the one who talked about 303's and Comet and a few other things, by the way. :)
Ahaaa! No problem, next time I'll have to have ABL3 installed :)

Thanks so much to everyone who joined, it was fun! Same time next week, I reckon!

adfielding

03 Apr 2020

Last night's stream is now available to view on YouTube.

Thanks SO much to everyone who could make it, I had a great time trying something a bit different and it was really awesome to see everyone commenting away and asking questions in the chat :) If you'd rather just check out the tune as it ended up, I've uploaded it to Soundcloud so you can check it out here.

And, as always, if you want to check out the actual Reason project file (which weighs in at a whopping TWO WHOLE MEGABYTES), you can grab that from this handy link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k39vl8optnz5j ... eason?dl=0

I'll be back again at the same time next week, and who knows - maybe I'll actually use the sequencer for something beyond drawing automation curves this time! :)

Heigen5

04 Apr 2020

Yo, I checked 40 minutes of it - I woulda watch all of it, but I'm a bit busy atm. Anyhow great watch dude!

adfielding

05 Apr 2020

Heigen5 wrote:
04 Apr 2020
Yo, I checked 40 minutes of it - I woulda watch all of it, but I'm a bit busy atm. Anyhow great watch dude!
Thanks! I had a lot of fun with it, it was cool to try something different while still writing something :) Also I'm sort of amazed that I didn't have any technical issues considering how much I tweaked the set-up, so that was nice. I have since noticed my little camera-view obscured a couple of bits this time around, so I might move it back to the lower-left hand corner for next time... but that's a minor thing, I think.

Looking forward to doing another one on Thursday!

edit: OH YEAH, before I forget-
stephensmattlee wrote:
26 Nov 2019
I re-watched Upgrade recently and, yeah, I don't know why it didn't click with me the first time (bad day, perhaps?), but I loved it this time around. Top film, would absolutely recommend.

adfielding

08 Apr 2020

Just a cheeky bump to mention that I'm still planning on streaming tomorrow night at 7pm UK time (UTC+1) - which, by my reckoning, is 8pm CEST for my European chums (UTC+2) & 2pm EDT (UTC-4) for my American pals - over on Twitch!

It'll be another music-making session, but this time I'll be utilising a mixture of Players & traditional sequencing techniques. Also, I'll be kick-starting things with a couple of custom synth patches made by my good pal and awesome sound designer Tom Pritchard, which I'm really excited about - there are some really neat tricks in those patches that I'm looking forward to delving into.

Hope to see some of you there :)

Wook

08 Apr 2020

Looking forward to it, Adam. Love your videos.

adfielding

09 Apr 2020

Wook wrote:
08 Apr 2020
Looking forward to it, Adam. Love your videos.
Thanks! I'm rather looking forward to it, myself - always a nice change from the quarantined norm :)

adfielding

10 Apr 2020

Thanks so much again to everyone who made it last night! I've uploaded the stream to YouTube, so if you missed it you can check it out here:

I'm still a bit mystified as to why the BeatMap kept drifting all over the place while working on the track (even after removing the CV connections), so if anyone has any ideas I'd love to know. I still really like the drum pattern it came out with, though! :) If you'd like to check out the finished tune, I've uploaded that to Soundcloud so you can listen to it here (this is straight from the session file in Reason, no external processing):

And, as ever, you can check out the project file here.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3zmwkcf0fu69r ... ted.reason

Someone also asked if I could share the patches provided by Tom for those who don't use Reason 11 - I asked if he'd be ok with that and, like the gracious chap he is, he was totally fine with it. So I've uploaded those separately here - that's one Thor patch, one Combi based on Complex-1, and one Echobode patch:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ptlp7dnhcfjuf ... sByTom.zip

I'll be back at the same time next week, I might be changing things up again slightly but I'd still like to keep it as a music-making session. There were some really cool ideas put forward after the stream last night, and now that this seems to be becoming a more regular thing I feel like it's time to look into those :)

adfielding

16 Apr 2020

This is happening again - tonight at 7pm UK time! That's 8pm CEST for those in Europe (UTC+2) & 2pm EDT (UTC-4) for American folks. This will be another music-making session, and I'm thinking of doing something a bit more upbeat this time around... maybe some chill drum & bass/jungle for a bit of a change. It's been a while since I tried something like that in Reason, so that'll be a fun journey I reckon :)

As always, it'll be over at twitch.tv/adfielding. Hope to see some of you there :)

qn5

16 Apr 2020

Will tune in! Planning on making any more preset packs? Loved the ones you've done so far.
QN5 MUSIC
qn5.com

Melody303

16 Apr 2020

The last one was awesome, even if I only heard it after the fact.
I'll tune in tonight. Don't forget your ABL3. :p
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

adfielding

17 Apr 2020

Thanks so much to everyone who made it last night, I had a blast! Really happy with how this one turned out :) If you missed it, I've uploaded it to YouTube here:

If you'd rather just listen to the track then that's available here:

...and if you'd like to check out the actual Reason document, that's available to grab here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7r3x34ijzf6h2 ... eason?dl=1

...and now I just need to figure out what to do next time!

EsotericSound

18 Apr 2020

The Youtube stream ended abruptly at the ~2:30 mark with your approximate statement "I think I'm done with this track." Was that intentional? Usually you wind down the conversation, but this happened to just end, which I got a laugh out of.

While I'm not really a fan of drums & bass, I did quite enjoy the spin you put on it. Thanks for continuing to show us your process.

And apropos of nothing: I finally got a copy of Microtonic and have visiting the patternarium. I definitely see why you were going on about it so much in the past. It's really great. :)

adfielding

19 Apr 2020

EsotericSound wrote:
18 Apr 2020
The Youtube stream ended abruptly at the ~2:30 mark with your approximate statement "I think I'm done with this track." Was that intentional? Usually you wind down the conversation, but this happened to just end, which I got a laugh out of.
Yeah, that was a weird one. I couldn't grab the VOD from Twitch as it thought I was still broadcasting up until this morning (I absolutely wasn't, btw!), which meant I also couldn't stream a follow-up like I wanted to. I didn't record a local copy so I had to grab the video from Twitch by creating a highlight... though the end of the stream was missing, for some reason. It is a bit of a comically abrupt ending, but I've since set OBS to record a local copy automatically now whenever I stream so this shouldn't happen again :)
EsotericSound wrote:
18 Apr 2020
While I'm not really a fan of drums & bass, I did quite enjoy the spin you put on it. Thanks for continuing to show us your process.

And apropos of nothing: I finally got a copy of Microtonic and have visiting the patternarium. I definitely see why you were going on about it so much in the past. It's really great. :)
Thanks for checking it out, I'm glad you liked it! And yeah, MicroTonic is fantastic - I love that it's still getting updates, I think for individual drum-hits I prefer DrumSpillage but for complete kits & patterns I prefer MicroTonic (and, in all fairness, MT is much, much older!). I've been creating a little library of percussive loops primarily from MT that I'm processing in various ways, maybe I'll dip into those in a future stream!

adfielding

23 Apr 2020

I'm doing another stream tonight (April 23rd) at 7pm UK time (8pm CEST / 2pm EDT) - and, just for a change, I'll be creating another tune from scratch in Reason :)

I figured it'd be fun to follow on from the distinctly 00s (heheh, "naughties") flavour of last week's drum & bass track and write something with a bit of a 2000s breaks feel. Again, it's been a while since I tried something like that in Reason and I reckon with a few select REs I could get something nice and squelchy out of it.

I'll be going live over at twitch.tv/adfielding just before the session starts, so if you've got any questions you'd like to ask or just want to hang out for a bit beforehand then please do!

• Information