vst rack and vst plugin host..

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
WasteLand

01 Apr 2020

i am still on reason 10. like it.

i always wanted also vst rack, but i noticed that i do needed it. or do i? i am running the demo now.

perhaps it is already asked, but why can't the vst rack load vst's? it isn't difficult to implement.. me thinks.
that vst racking is lacking the vst plugin host (i call it that way...), is an omission. for modulating... vst plugins....

alright i can use voltage modular for it. perhaps there is logic why it isn't implemented.

that several vst racks could communicate with eachother (i.e. receive/send cv to eachother) is also a great idea. and it can be done, in vst3 format. it one of the perks of vst3...
Win 10 Pro. R11 suite + R12. Nektar Panorama p1. Ryzen 9 5900X. Cubase Pro 11, Bitwig Studio 4.4, Reaper 6.68, Ableton Live 11 Suite. RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface.

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada

https://soundcloud.com/user-873737123

Oquasec

01 Apr 2020

Its built like Reaktor. It's not a daw.
It uses a Proprietary python/lua/C++ based system that is not the same as steinberg sdk.
The standalone edition is basically a hardware sim.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

WasteLand

01 Apr 2020

Oquasec wrote:
01 Apr 2020
Its built like Reaktor. It's not a daw.
It uses a Proprietary python/lua/C++ based system that is not the same as steinberg sdk.
The standalone edition is basically a hardware sim.
i am aware that it is now a daw. the vst3 rack. built like reaktor?

voltage modular is build with java and some C++, still it can load and modulate vst plugins.

reaktor, with the help of 2 mux/demux modules from toybox, can communicate with eachother. and it is vst2... plugin hosting isn't supplied, don't know if it is limit of the core, maybe more because reaktor is a framework for hosting a lot of instruments, that are made with core.

there are vst3 plugins, made in several ways. that can communicate with eachother. if it is propriety python/lua/c++ i see it as a lack of interest of reason studios. and they must use the SDK eventually, it is vst3.. you have also juce and so on. still...

the standalone is a hardware sim? in a way. that does not mean that it is impossible. on the contrary. talented programmers can do it...
Win 10 Pro. R11 suite + R12. Nektar Panorama p1. Ryzen 9 5900X. Cubase Pro 11, Bitwig Studio 4.4, Reaper 6.68, Ableton Live 11 Suite. RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface.

xboix

01 Apr 2020

It's just a design decision they made and it's left us all the poorer for it. There are plenty of other VSTs that can host VSTs. The inability to do so in Reason Rack means that we cannot use and Combis that use VSTs.

WasteLand

01 Apr 2020

xboix wrote:
01 Apr 2020
It's just a design decision they made and it's left us all the poorer for it. There are plenty of other VSTs that can host VSTs. The inability to do so in Reason Rack means that we cannot use and Combis that use VSTs.
yes! that! it makes it a poor implementation of the possibilities of the reason vst rack.
and communication between instances is possible, it is even a feature of vst3 (might be wrong, but think i am right..).

xboix

01 Apr 2020

WasteLand wrote:
01 Apr 2020
xboix wrote:
01 Apr 2020
yes! that! it makes it a poor implementation of the possibilities of the reason vst rack.
and communication between instances is possible, it is even a feature of vst3 (might be wrong, but think i am right..).
Yep some of the iZotope mixing plugins communicate with each other and others do too. It's not very common but it can be done. I personally would not find that very useful but I'm sure others would.

WasteLand

01 Apr 2020

xboix wrote:
01 Apr 2020
WasteLand wrote:
01 Apr 2020

Yep some of the iZotope mixing plugins communicate with each other and others do too. It's not very common but it can be done. I personally would not find that very useful but I'm sure others would.
it can be very usefull. i use other mixing plugins, like meldaproduction MMultianalyzer, when insert it on several channels, all graphs can shown in one instance. izotope is a good example, for unmasking it is very useful..
sigmod can do it, quite usefull...

in case of reason you can chain modulation... for instance.. or other cv "stuff", so you can connect multiple vst racks. if they want to....

it is this, that it can be done, you don't have to use it, but you have more possibilities, like in the standalone version..

there is no technological reason that i can't be done. it is only as you already said, "by design". looking how they develop, and if they want to implement it, they develop step by step. with reason 10, they did a lot about the engine, you got europa as vst free, a RE rack free. now reason 11 is not that interesting, the new RE's aren't bad, on the contrary, but not a big step. like grain and europe were. development is sometimes pushed over time, to upgrade... cubase does it... and i still like cubase and yes still like reason..

but it is businnes.. and perhaps not many people want vst2/3 hosting, and communication between instances. i do not know. but in the end, you have the full reason capabilities (almost) in another daw... is that the reason?

buddard
RE Developer

01 Apr 2020

WasteLand wrote:
01 Apr 2020
This is not specific to VST3, you can do it with all formats except RE -- Due to RE's being heavily sandboxed in Reason.

For instance, "Hand Clap Studio", our (VST2)/VST3/AU/AAX plugin, shares sample memory and authorization between instances.

Oquasec

01 Apr 2020

imageline made something for us a super long time ago called minihost modular if we needed to load vsts into reason without rewire.
It was a vst made to host other vsts.
If reason doesn't host vsts it's because it is not necessary to do so.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

xboix

02 Apr 2020

Oquasec wrote:
01 Apr 2020
If reason doesn't host vsts it's because it is not necessary to do so.
Wow. Is that really how you think software is developed?

It doesn't host it because it was lower priority or because they did not have the resources/knowledge or because they did not think of it or because they did not consider the right use cases.

• Information