PinkNoise Studio Maia Orange Edition Song Challenge

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
joeyluck

29 Mar 2020

hurricane wrote:
29 Mar 2020
I don't need no stinkin' 3rd party REs, but really wish we could use standalone drum samples because the drum sounds in Orange aren't exactly great. But FINE - challenge accepted.
Yay! :thumbs_up:
I for one like the samples, and I'm one of the judges, so...you're off to a good start :)
joeyluck wrote:
29 Mar 2020
Yes a challenge is great, working with limitations and all that. It's more a question of motivation/inspiration from me this time around. I'm up for a challenge as long as the challenge inspires me. Exploring a new instrument is fun and inspiring. But for me going back to the old stock effects at this point isn't. In the end I care less about the actual competition, the prizes and all that, and more about enjoying making music.

But I think I've changed during these last two years or so. I used to be much more about raw discipline with making music, just plowing through and getting shit done. And that worked fine for me at the time. Nowadays I'm more driven by genuine motivation/inspiration, the softer side of things. One could say I've become more sensitive with how I do things.

Anyway like I said, I understand why the rules are the way they are and it's good to see a new Song Challenge. It's been way to few of those lately and we need more of them, whatever the rules are.
I'll still listen and enjoy everybodies Maia Orange songs.
Yeah I would say just play with the synth during this time. No pressure to write anything or enter the challenge, but if you find that spark, there's time.

I too am really looking forward to listening to all the songs!

Proboscis

31 Mar 2020

This is a pretty interesting set of rules.

No drums that aren't Maia Orange.

I have no freaking idea how to compose drum parts with a synth.

Loque

31 Mar 2020

Proboscis wrote:
31 Mar 2020
This is a pretty interesting set of rules.

No drums that aren't Maia Orange.

I have no freaking idea how to compose drum parts with a synth.
It has some basic drum samples which are usefull at all. And if you like, you can tweak them further with the synth (EQ, Distortion, Reverb, Filters, ...) or use external FX (stock only). You would wonder what an EQ can have an impact to the sound of a drum or snare.
Reason12, Win10

hurricane
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2020

I finished my track 2 days ago and I've just been sitting here not happy with the drums, and I guess I could possibly make the hard hitting rock drums I need for this track if I really REALLY tried although I think it would require a shit-load of layering and processing with Reason's substandard factory effects (no offense), but it's not worth it cuz in the real world I would just use my dedicated drum plugins for that. No one is going to buy Maia Orange for the drum sounds.

There. I'm done being a whiney bee-atch.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

BananaSkins

31 Mar 2020

joeyluck wrote:
29 Mar 2020
BananaSkins wrote:
29 Mar 2020
Participants can use any players, utilities and effects that come with the standard version of Reason 11 :question:
Correct. What is your question?
No mention of any previous versions of Reason?

joeyluck

31 Mar 2020

BananaSkins wrote:
31 Mar 2020
joeyluck wrote:
29 Mar 2020

Correct. What is your question?
You can use previous versions. That was just to distinguish from Reason 11 Suite.

BananaSkins

31 Mar 2020

joeyluck wrote:
31 Mar 2020
BananaSkins wrote:
31 Mar 2020

You can use previous versions. That was just to distinguish from Reason 11 Suite.
:thumbs_up:

Re8et
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2020

I can't export the song because of a read error problem... help!
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7516827

Ok, it's a Maia bug... who can I contact?

hurricane
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2020

Re8et wrote:
31 Mar 2020

Same! Never saw this error before. But for me it only happened when I tried to export my song at 96k. My internal rate was set to 44. Got a read error every time. Then I switched my internal rate to 96 and exported again at 96 and it worked. Tracks without Maia work fine.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Re8et
Competition Winner

01 Apr 2020

hurricane wrote:
31 Mar 2020
Re8et wrote:
31 Mar 2020

Same! Never saw this error before. But for me it only happened when I tried to export my song at 96k. My internal rate was set to 44. Got a read error every time. Then I switched my internal rate to 96 and exported again at 96 and it worked. Tracks without Maia work fine.
OK... it worked, tnx.

Re8et
Competition Winner

01 Apr 2020

My entry

hurricane
Competition Winner

01 Apr 2020

Re8et wrote:
01 Apr 2020
hurricane wrote:
31 Mar 2020

OK... it worked, tnx.
It also works if you switch everything back to 44k. So let me be more clear with what I am seeing:

The track I finished for this contest, which is obviously 100% Orange - I worked in 44K, but I decided to bounce it at 96k/24-bit (for experimental reasons) - and BOOM got the read error which I have never ever seen before. I switched the internal rate to 96k and tried again. It worked. I kept troubleshooting this, and in the SAME session (I didn't close the project) I switched my internal back to 44k, and then exported at 44k. That worked too. I don't have the urge to continue troubleshooting this, so I don't know if it is a Maia thing or a Reason thing. It's nice knowing someone else has this exact issue, and coincidentally, while also using Maia Orange, so that makes me feel better that is not my system, because I was just about to go down that rabbit hole, and now I won't.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Proboscis

01 Apr 2020

Not sure if I will enter this, because with no outside drum sources, i'm probably not going to be able to make a beat.

And I totally understand the reasons why such limitations are in the rules..... as it's in order to showcase the synth, and all it's capabilities. If the developer is proud of it's drum/percussion capabilities, what better way to promote that.

But why not take it a step further, and say 'no other effects', not even stock ? That would really make people push the limitations. SSL EQ, panning and gain staging, that's it !

Maybe I will give this a spin after all. I'm in lockdown, so it might be a good thing to occupy me.

hurricane
Competition Winner

01 Apr 2020

blank
Last edited by hurricane on 27 Apr 2020, edited 1 time in total.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

AndrasHaasz
RE Developer

02 Apr 2020

Proboscis wrote:
01 Apr 2020

And I totally understand the reasons why such limitations are in the rules..... as it's in order to showcase the synth, and all it's capabilities. If the developer is proud of it's drum/percussion capabilities, what better way to promote that.
No, I'm not proud of the drum sounds at all... I think this is the weakest part of this synth.
Well, it seemed like a good idea to add drum samples to the oscillators... to see how they work together with the step sequencer, and I thought they can be also useful for sound design... eg. you can add an extra punch to bass sound...

Whatever... this is the limit. Try to be creative ;-)
Andras
----------------
I am the voice of PinkNoise

:reason: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :essentials: :rebirth: :recycle: :refillpacker: :re:

mlinder

02 Apr 2020

Hope Dropbox link is OK?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/guceqkm4kfsjzub/maia.mp3?dl=0

Just Reason 11 basic stuff + Maia :)

AndrasHaasz
RE Developer

03 Apr 2020

mlinder wrote:
02 Apr 2020
Hope Dropbox link is OK?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/guceqkm4kfsjzub/maia.mp3?dl=0

Just Reason 11 basic stuff + Maia :)
Yes, of course. Thank you!
Andras
----------------
I am the voice of PinkNoise

:reason: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :essentials: :rebirth: :recycle: :refillpacker: :re:

aeox
Competition Winner

04 Apr 2020

AndrasHaasz wrote:
02 Apr 2020
Proboscis wrote:
01 Apr 2020

No, I'm not proud of the drum sounds at all... I think this is the weakest part of this synth.
Well, it seemed like a good idea to add drum samples to the oscillators... to see how they work together with the step sequencer, and I thought they can be also useful for sound design... eg. you can add an extra punch to bass sound...

Whatever... this is the limit. Try to be creative ;-)
It's capable of making really nice drum sounds :thumbs_up: :D

strangers
Competition Winner

05 Apr 2020

Here's my entry: Blossom

Enjoy.

Imaginary191
Competition Winner

06 Apr 2020

My track. Thanks for the challenge, PinkNoise Studio.

hurricane
Competition Winner

06 Apr 2020

Last edited by hurricane on 27 Apr 2020, edited 1 time in total.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

turbopage
Competition Winner

06 Apr 2020

I'm in!

Music Will Save Us

retreed
Competition Winner

07 Apr 2020

Great synth and a nice challenge with interesting restrictions. Good luck everyone and thanks again for the challenge! :)

hurricane
Competition Winner

07 Apr 2020

retreed wrote:
07 Apr 2020
Great synth and a nice challenge with interesting restrictions. Good luck everyone and thanks again for the challenge! :)

What did you use for the snare? Sounds good.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

• Information