PinkNoise Studio Maia Orange Edition Song Challenge

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
tiker01

27 Mar 2020

PinkNoise Studio Maia Orange Edition Song Challenge

PinkNoise Studio and ReasonTalk are happy to announce the details of the Maia Orange Edition Dual Synthesizer Song Challenge.

Prize list
1st prize: Maia Orange Edition + Maia and Luna
2nd prize: Maia Orange Edition + Maia or Luna
3rd prize: Maia Orange Edition

Disclaimer

By submitting their entry to the competition, all participants agree to grant non-exclusive rights for their contribution (or an excerpt from it) to be presented by PinkNoise Studio on their website, SoundCloud and Propellerhead Shop page, towards the promotion of Maia Orange Edition Dual Performance Synth (with due credits, of course). If you do not agree with this rule, please do not participate! Moreover, by submitting a song to the competition, participants express that all sounds and samples used in their song have been cleared.

Rules
  • Maia Orange Edition has to be the centerpiece of your tune
  • All synth sounds should come from Maia Orange Edition
  • Duration: your song should be at least 2 minutes
  • All songs have to be original (i.e. no remixes or covers)
  • Only 3 winners with no cash alternative
  • Only one entry per participant
  • Song challenge begins 27th of March, 2020
  • Song challenge ends 12th of April, 2020 @ 11:59 pm Stockholm time
  • To submit your song, simply post a link to it (Soundcloud, YouTube…) in this thread (no submission form this time)
  • All entrants, when requested, must be prepared to provide evidence that the rules have been adhered to. This includes providing the Reason song
  • file to verify that only Maia Orange Edition was used for all sounds
  • Judges’ decision is final
What you are ALLOWED to use in your song (with copyright permission where applicable):
  • Maia Orange Edition for all sounds including drums
  • Participants can use any players, utilities and effects that come with the standard version of Reason 11
  • Any Vocal-only samples from Reason’s Soundbanks
  • Recorded vocals
What you CANNOT use in your song:
  • Any synths or instruments that is not Maia Orange Edition (including Combinators featuring Maia Orange Edition that include any other synth as sound source)
  • No hardware synths
  • No programs outside of Reason
  • No copyrighted material
Submission

Your song must be submitted by posting a link to it in this thread before closing time.
After submitting your song you should not alter its URL anymore (altering privacy of songs on SoundCloud breaks the links compatibility).

We encourage participants to use #MaiaOrangeEdition, #PinkNoiseStudio and #ReasonTalk tags when uploading entries to SoundCloud, YouTube etc.

When sharing your entries on social media, if you feel so, tag @PinkNoise.Studio on Facebook, #PinkNoiseStudio (Twitter, Instagram) and @Reasontalk or #Reasontalk.

The Judges
  • PinkNoise Studio
Propellerhead Shop page https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/brow ... e%20Studio

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/PinkNoise.Studio

Website https://www.pinknoisestudio.com/

• The ReasonTalk team

Maia Orange Edition Shop page: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... e-edition/

Staff members of PinkNoise Studio, Reasonbanks and ReasonTalk are not allowed to participate in this competition.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

retreed
Competition Winner

27 Mar 2020

Great to see that all people involved in running a new challenge here. Thanks!
We definitely did miss such a thing here.

Just to clarify on the rules to avoid people doing something wrong:
It states in the rules that all synth sounds must come from "Maia Orange Edition".
Is there something that forbids drum samples, or must drums also come exclusively from "Maia Orange Edition"?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Mar 2020

Can someone please tell me how to wire this up to get my guitar through it. I used to know and now it would appear I don't. Anybody help me out? Thanks

Edit: Never mind hahahaha. Just found the audio in button. Duh!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

AndrasHaasz
RE Developer

27 Mar 2020

MrFigg wrote:
27 Mar 2020
Can someone please tell me how to wire this up to get my guitar through it. I used to know and now it would appear I don't. Anybody help me out? Thanks

Tip: You can set up the ins fx for A and for B, and then you can switch between them.
Andras
----------------
I am the voice of PinkNoise

:reason: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :essentials: :rebirth: :recycle: :refillpacker: :re:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Mar 2020

AndrasHaasz wrote:
27 Mar 2020
MrFigg wrote:
27 Mar 2020

Tip: You can set up the ins fx for A and for B, and then you can switch between them.
I'm anticipating help from a friend here by PM but please tell me the best way to link up my guitar to Maia. I've got fx now but the delay is really, really quiet. The reverbs are brilliant though.

Edit: Sorted. Happy
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Mar 2020

I read the rules but still found a few things a little unclear.

Can we use drum samples? Kong, Redrum, Umpf, etc? Does these devices count as "Any synths or instruments that is not Maia Orange Edition"?

Also can we use Rack Extension effects? Or is it strictly devices from R11?

AndrasHaasz
RE Developer

27 Mar 2020

OK, let me clarify (maybe tiker01 was not accurate enough): You can use any players, utilities and effects that come with the standard version of Reason 11. Eg. when I install a clean R11, I should be able to open the song file without any additional license. Instruments (which have "Instrument" status in Reason) are not allowed, except Maia OE.

Audio track (for vocal) is allowed - since it can be opened with the clean install of R11.

Any more question?
Andras
----------------

:reason: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :essentials: :rebirth: :recycle: :refillpacker: :re:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Mar 2020

AndrasHaasz wrote:
27 Mar 2020
OK, let me clarify (maybe tiker01 was not accurate enough): You can use any players, utilities and effects that come with the standard version of Reason 11. Eg. when I install a clean R11, I should be able to open the song file without any additional license. Instruments (which have "Instrument" status in Reason) are not allowed, except Maia OE.

Audio track (for vocal) is allowed - since it can be opened with the clean install of R11.

Any more question?
Ok so no Kong or Redrum then. Drum samples can only come from Maia OE.

hurricane
Competition Winner

27 Mar 2020

Still not clear - can I use non-instrument drum samples (so audio files - wav/aiff) ? You'd still be able to open my song.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Loque

27 Mar 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
27 Mar 2020
AndrasHaasz wrote:
27 Mar 2020

Any more question?
Ok so no Kong or Redrum then. Drum samples can only come from Maia OE.
Oh snap! Another misunderstanding :-D
Reason12, Win10

Boombastix
Competition Winner

27 Mar 2020

Oh, so not my own drums, has to be drums from Maia Orange? And no live guitars or violins either (played by humans, not VSTs)?
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

AndrasHaasz
RE Developer

27 Mar 2020

You can do anything you want - recording your ukulele solo, your drums, your guitar solo masterpiece, field recording of the sounds of the sea... but please keep in mind that the jury will judge according to the rules of this contest, see above.
Andras
----------------

Boombastix
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2020

Here it is, my contribution. All stock FX, and all sounds including drums from Maia Orange. There are vocals on it, but that is just what I normally do, write music for vocals.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Loque

28 Mar 2020

Boombastix wrote:
28 Mar 2020
Here it is, my contribution. All stock FX, and all sounds including drums from Maia Orange. There are vocals on it, but that is just what I normally do, write music for vocals.
:o
Reason12, Win10

sdst
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2020

all sound including drums from Maia, Reason effect

Last edited by sdst on 30 Mar 2020, edited 3 times in total.

rare_shadow
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2020

R10
18x Maia Orange Edition
RV7000, The Echo, SSL Mixer comp and eq.

Thanks for the competition!
Stay healthy everyone.

eusti

29 Mar 2020

sdst wrote:
28 Mar 2020
Maia Orange Edition for all sounds including drums
¿What? the drums? i didn't read that sorry

my entry.
Just to clarify: The drums are not from Maia Orange?

D.

sdst
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2020

edited song fixed
Last edited by sdst on 30 Mar 2020, edited 1 time in total.

joeyluck

29 Mar 2020

sdst wrote:
29 Mar 2020
eusti wrote:
29 Mar 2020
D.
those are drums samples not from maia. I have participated in other challenges, first time i see that drum must be from the synth
that's why i didn't read the rules. :)
Yes, Maia Orange has drums and a handy internal sequencer as well, if you want to use that. Using the internal sequencer is optional.

You will see 'Drum & FX' samples available in the OSC section. Also, there are patches available in the 'FX & Percussion' folder to get you started. 'ORANGE GM Drum Kit' is a great patch to start with IMO, which has drum samples laid across the keyboard using the OSC Tables.

The challenge runs until April 12, so you still have a couple weeks to play with it and resubmit :)

BananaSkins

29 Mar 2020

Participants can use any players, utilities and effects that come with the standard version of Reason 11 :question:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2020

sdst wrote:
29 Mar 2020
eusti wrote:
29 Mar 2020
D.
those are drums samples not from maia. I have participated in other challenges, first time i see that drum must be from the synth
Yeah that's why I found the rules a little confusing. We're so used to be able to use other drum samples and also be able to use REs for effects, that I assumed these things were simply forgotten about in the rules. As much as I appreciate that a new Song Challenge is taking place these two restrictions kind of turned me off from participating this time. Although I can understand from a judge perspective that it makes sense that you want to be able to open the project and hear/see everything.

joeyluck

29 Mar 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
29 Mar 2020
sdst wrote:
29 Mar 2020

Yeah that's why I found the rules a little confusing. We're so used to be able to use other drum samples and also be able to use REs for effects, that I assumed these things were simply forgotten about in the rules. As much as I appreciate that a new Song Challenge is taking place these two restrictions kind of turned me off from participating this time. Although I can understand from a judge perspective that it makes sense that you want to be able to open the project and hear/see everything.
It's more because it's a part of the synth. And this is a challenge after all :)

I would say, even if it weren't specified in the rules, the goal for me as a participant would be to showcase the synth in every way possible. Interesting that the user who has run the awesome one synth EP challenge would be hung up on one small additional rule :D

This synth does include drum samples and patches. I could understand feeling overwhelmed if asked to create drum sounds from nothing. You can use a kit patch, or use one Maia Orange Edition for each drum sound and process them in any way you like according to the rules. The built-in distortion sounds great on the kicks and toms IMO.

joeyluck

29 Mar 2020

BananaSkins wrote:
29 Mar 2020
Participants can use any players, utilities and effects that come with the standard version of Reason 11 :question:
Correct. What is your question?

hurricane
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2020

I don't need no stinkin' 3rd party REs, but really wish we could use standalone drum samples because the drum sounds in Orange aren't exactly great. But FINE - challenge accepted.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2020

joeyluck wrote:
29 Mar 2020
TritoneAddiction wrote:
29 Mar 2020

It's more because it's a part of the synth. And this is a challenge after all :)

I would say, even if it weren't specified in the rules, the goal for me as a participant would be to showcase the synth in every way possible. Interesting that the user who has run the awesome one synth EP challenge would be hung up on one small additional rule :D

This synth does include drum samples and patches. I could understand feeling overwhelmed if asked to create drum sounds from nothing. You can use a kit patch, or use one Maia Orange Edition for each drum sound and process them in any way you like according to the rules. The built-in distortion sounds great on the kicks and toms IMO.
Yes a challenge is great, working with limitations and all that. It's more a question of motivation/inspiration from me this time around. I'm up for a challenge as long as the challenge inspires me. Exploring a new instrument is fun and inspiring. But for me going back to the old stock effects at this point isn't. In the end I care less about the actual competition, the prizes and all that, and more about enjoying making music.

But I think I've changed during these last two years or so. I used to be much more about raw discipline with making music, just plowing through and getting shit done. And that worked fine for me at the time. Nowadays I'm more driven by genuine motivation/inspiration, the softer side of things. One could say I've become more sensitive with how I do things.

Anyway like I said, I understand why the rules are the way they are and it's good to see a new Song Challenge. It's been way to few of those lately and we need more of them, whatever the rules are.
I'll still listen and enjoy everybodies Maia Orange songs.

• Information