Is there a shortcut to move between channels in the sequencer ?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Mike B

26 Mar 2020

In FL Studio, I can move between channels (previous/next = Alt+H/Alt+J) in the piano roll.

Any similar shortcut in Reason ?

Bewlay

27 Mar 2020

Do you mean between tracks for editing? The up & down arrows will move between tracks once you open the edit view and select the track on the left hand side but maybe that's not what you're looking for?
Reason 10, Mac OS 10.9.5, Digital Performer 7
http://www.grousemusic.com/

Mike B

27 Mar 2020

Bewlay wrote:
27 Mar 2020
Do you mean between tracks for editing? The up & down arrows will move between tracks once you open the edit view and select the track on the left hand side but maybe that's not what you're looking for?
Thanks for your reply Bewlay.

I was looking for a shortcut that takes you directly from piano roll of device A to the piano roll of device B inside the sequencer specifically. But from what I understand from you I can only move from device channel to the another, and that will not take me from piano roll to the other.

Another workflow killer. ukh...

Bewlay

27 Mar 2020

Mike B wrote:
27 Mar 2020

I was looking for a shortcut that takes you directly from piano roll of device A to the piano roll of device B inside the sequencer specifically.
Are you talking about doing this before you record anything? Or are you talking about skipping multiple lanes with one button press?
Using the method mentioned above, you can move directly from piano roll of device A to B but it is based on clips so a clip would have to already exist. It's specifically for editing.
Again maybe I'm misunderstanding as I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to do.
Last edited by Bewlay on 27 Mar 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Creativemind

27 Mar 2020

If you're in the midi editor and you hold down alt and use the up / down arrows it will move up and down a track and thus the midi editor.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Bewlay

27 Mar 2020

Creativemind wrote:
27 Mar 2020
If you're in the midi editor and you hold down alt and use the up / down arrows it will move up and down a track and thus the midi editor.
On Mac this moves the loop markers left or right. Just the arrows alone will do it on a Mac. :thumbs_up:

Mike B

27 Mar 2020

Bewlay wrote:
27 Mar 2020
Mike B wrote:
27 Mar 2020

I was looking for a shortcut that takes you directly from piano roll of device A to the piano roll of device B inside the sequencer specifically.
Are you talking about doing this before you record anything? Or are you talking about skipping multiple lanes with one button press?
Using the method mentioned above, you can move directly from piano roll of device A to B but it is based on clips so a clip would have to already exist. It's specifically for editing.
Again maybe I'm misunderstanding but I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to do.
Thanks again for your response I really appreciate it. Sorry maybe I'm not explaining myself correctly.

Say I add Redrum 1 to the sequencer and I create a midi box with a pattern.

I also add Redrum 2 to the sequencer and I create a midi box with a pattern.

While inside the midi box of Redrum 1, I am looking for a shortcut to take me directly to inside the midi box of Redrum 2, to add notes.

I am using Windows, and holding "alt" and UP/DOWN also moves the loop markers like you.

If I click on the left sidebar of the sequencer where the instruments are displayed (transport at the top), when I press Up or Down it does indeed move from midi box of Redrum 1 to midi box of Redrum 2. But I then need to double-click the midi box to edit, so not very efficient.

I hope I'm clear this time. Thanks again for your input.

Mike B

27 Mar 2020

Creativemind wrote:
27 Mar 2020
Thanks Creativemind. Unfortunately this command only moves the loop markers to me...can you switch from a midi box to the other (inside the midi box where you can add notes) with this command ?

Bewlay

27 Mar 2020

Mike B wrote:
27 Mar 2020

Thanks again for your response I really appreciate it. Sorry maybe I'm not explaining myself correctly.

While inside the midi box of Redrum 1, I am looking for a shortcut to take me directly to inside the midi box of Redrum 2, to add notes.

I am using Windows, and holding "alt" and UP/DOWN also moves the loop markers like you.

If I click on the left sidebar of the sequencer where the instruments are displayed (transport at the top), when I press Up or Down it does indeed move from midi box of Redrum 1 to midi box of Redrum 2. But I then need to double-click the midi box to edit, so not very efficient.

No problem, happy to try to help!
That's interesting because that's not how it is for me. If I arrow down, I'm immediately inside the midi clip, as if I've already double clicked.
I do have a Windows laptop with Reason but don't have access to it right now but I can check later on if the behaviour is different.
If it is different, it just means an extra key might have to be pressed, it's not like the feature would be unavailable.

Having said that, once you do edit the clip (eg add notes) you do have to click over in the left side list of devices to enable the arrow buttons to work as desired...so a mouse click is still necessary. Unless there is a shortcut to get you back over to the left without that mouse selection?

Mike B

27 Mar 2020

Bewlay wrote:
27 Mar 2020
Mike B wrote:
27 Mar 2020

No problem, happy to try to help!
That's interesting because that's not how it is for me. If I arrow down, I'm immediately inside the midi clip, as if I've already double clicked.
I do have a Windows laptop with Reason but don't have access to it right now but I can check later on if the behaviour is different.
If it is different, it just means an extra key might have to be pressed, it's not like the feature would be unavailable.

Having said that, once you do edit the clip (eg add notes) you do have to click over in the left side list of devices to enable the arrow buttons to work as desired...so a mouse click is still necessary. Unless there is a shortcut to get you back over to the left without that mouse selection?
That's interesting because when I add a note in Redrum 1's midi box, then click on the left sequencer side list to move up or down the device list with the arrows, it does move but with midi box closed, as if not double clicked.

Whenever you can check on your Windows laptop I'd be very interested to know if this happens with you too. Thanks so much!

See in FL Studio for example, a simple"Alt+H" "Alt+J" takes you from one channel's piano roll to the previous/next, without any additional clicks or keys. Extremely helpful for writing melodies and drum patterns rapidly.

Bewlay

28 Mar 2020

I checked and, using Reason 10, the behaviour is the same on Windows as it is on Mac. You still have to click over on the left which is not ideal but the arrows will lead directly inside the clip.

You still have to use the mouse for editing selections or drawing notes so to me it wouldn't appear to be a particularly vital key shortcut but then it sounds like you're used to using it in a different way.

What version of Reason are you using btw?

Bewlay

30 Mar 2020

I've just realised that clicking over on the left is not necessary at all. Shift + Tab always toggles between edit and regular sequencer view.
So say you're editing one midi clip. Shift +Tab to go back to sequencer mode, arrow down/up to next clip and hit Shift+Tab to edit. This works for audio and midi clips, no mouse needed.

Mike B

01 Apr 2020

Bewlay wrote:
30 Mar 2020
I've just realised that clicking over on the left is not necessary at all. Shift + Tab always toggles between edit and regular sequencer view.
So say you're editing one midi clip. Shift +Tab to go back to sequencer mode, arrow down/up to next clip and hit Shift+Tab to edit. This works for audio and midi clips, no mouse needed.
Thanks for checking for me Bewlay. I am using 9.5 so maybe they have improved this behavior in the recent versions. Thx again :thumbs_up:

• Information