[80s Rock/Pop] Client Wants "Police" Andy Summers Vibe, Am I Close?

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
KevTav

26 Mar 2020

Genre: 80s Rock, Police, New Wave(ish)

Hey guys,

A client wanted a Police vibe for a score. Was thinking Andy Summers guitar effects and pretty subtle drums. I think I got the drum kit down, just a little tweaks on Ambience and stereo field needed. I wanted to get your take on the guitar effects and overall style. I was basically NOODLING around. This is just one rehearsal take, kinda messy. But essentially rhythm strums in standard tuning.

Anyways, can you tell me if it sounds close? Would appreciate it. This is a rough cut, remember.

Yamaha DGX-650 (Controller) - Komplete Audio Interface - Asus GR8 2 - Intel Core i7-7700 3.60 GHz - 16GB RAM - Audio Technica ATH M50x - Yamaha HS 80Ms - Reason 10 - Izotope - Cubase - Pro Tools - Ableton - Epiphones - Taylors - SH*TLOAD of Plug-Ins

EdwardKiy

26 Mar 2020

Nailed it. Totally feel like putting on my sun glasses and riding down the streets to dawn(or dusk) and cracking down on some crime. Maybe that's part of the "work in progress", or may pertain to the actual movie sequence, but the guitar is a bit too fast at the beginning. I like slow strums to finish my coffee to while I take a final look at the city scape through my massive shades, and then slowride into the belly of the beast.

KevTav

26 Mar 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
26 Mar 2020
Nailed it. Totally feel like putting on my sun glasses and riding down the streets to dawn(or dusk) and cracking down on some crime. Maybe that's part of the "work in progress", or may pertain to the actual movie sequence, but the guitar is a bit too fast at the beginning. I like slow strums to finish my coffee to while I take a final look at the city scape through my massive shades, and then slowride into the belly of the beast.
Haha,. it was literally just one take of me noodling. I gotta get the levels correct and master it all. And the phrasings right, and timing, and, and.
But thanks.
Yamaha DGX-650 (Controller) - Komplete Audio Interface - Asus GR8 2 - Intel Core i7-7700 3.60 GHz - 16GB RAM - Audio Technica ATH M50x - Yamaha HS 80Ms - Reason 10 - Izotope - Cubase - Pro Tools - Ableton - Epiphones - Taylors - SH*TLOAD of Plug-Ins

KevTav

26 Mar 2020

I gotta bring the drums FORWARD and tone down the effects and bring it forward too. Ugh.

EdwardKiy

26 Mar 2020

KevTav wrote:
26 Mar 2020
I gotta bring the drums FORWARD and tone down the effects and bring it forward too. Ugh.
do a more polished cut first then ;)

jamesa

26 Mar 2020

I had to comment on something to do with the Police - my fav band when I was a youngster.

I know you were noodling but I'll say it anyway - part of Summer's magic is the "less is more approach". Playing a chord and letting it ring in all its chorus pedalled beauty. As well, I seem to recall an initial single echo with a quick decay of the subsequent ones. You have a nice chorus sound. Well done!

(I'm was kind of thinking of Walking on the Moon when I wrote the above as a reference)

Also maybe a touch more grit? (Depends on the Police era you are going for)

KevTav

26 Mar 2020

jamesa wrote:
26 Mar 2020
I had to comment on something to do with the Police - my fav band when I was a youngster.

I know you were noodling but I'll say it anyway - part of Summer's magic is the "less is more approach". Playing a chord and letting it ring in all its chorus pedalled beauty. As well, I seem to recall an initial single echo with a quick decay of the subsequent ones. You have a nice chorus sound. Well done!

(I'm was kind of thinking of Walking on the Moon when I wrote the above as a reference)

Also maybe a touch more grit? (Depends on the Police era you are going for)
I wasn't going for Walking on the Moon tempo, but I know what you mean. I was just experimenting with chords. Andy DID keep it simple. But the Client wanted something different. I just have Andy's effects style sorta memorized and wanted to try it in a different way. Not really going for an era, just for overall sound.

• Information