Static Cling - AutoLatch MIDI Gate

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Socram
RE Developer

23 Mar 2020

Hey everybody! I wanted to show you all my newest Rack Extension, the AutoLatch MIDI Gate.

FrontImage1.png
FrontImage1.png (26.44 KiB) Viewed 5220 times

AutoLatch is an easy to use device with a specific and unique purpose, controlling the length of your incoming MIDI Events.

It is currently on an introductory sale and can be trialed today in the Reason Studios Shop: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... midi-gate/

Here's a video showing what it does and how it works:

You'll also find a in-depth manual on the store page!

Let me know if you have any questions or feedback here, I'd love to hear what you guys think! Or if you prefer, contact me here: info@staticcling.io
Last edited by Socram on 12 May 2020, edited 1 time in total.
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and AutoLatch.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

joeyluck

23 Mar 2020

This will come in handy :thumbs_up:

Just a heads up that on mac, it is Command + Click and Command + Shift + Click for copying and pasting these settings, rather than Ctrl.

So on the back panel, you could perhaps edit it to be something like:

Ctrl/Command + Click
or even
Ctrl/⌘ + Click

Jackjackdaw

23 Mar 2020

This is bang on what I was after. Thanks! I'm going to buy it right now. I think a simplified version of this would work great as a module in Delta.

Socram
RE Developer

23 Mar 2020

joeyluck wrote:
23 Mar 2020

Just a heads up that on mac, it is Command + Click and Command + Shift + Click for copying and pasting these settings, rather than Ctrl.
Glad to hear it looks useful to you! Yes that was a bit intentional in an attempt to save a bit of space, but if its a source of confusion I will add that in the next update!
Jackjackdaw wrote:
23 Mar 2020
This is bang on what I was after. Thanks! I'm going to buy it right now. I think a simplified version of this would work great as a module in Delta.
So glad to hear that, I appreciate the support.

Believe it or not there was a node that did this all the way back in the alpha/beta days of Delta 1.0. Alongside all the other complexities of Delta it was a huge source of bugs and stuck notes, and I unfortunately made the difficult decision to cut it. Some of my testers still haven't forgiven me :lol: . It may return some day, perhaps with a warning of its quirks, but in the interim I wanted to make this device as a "spiritual successor" of sorts, as I think its a useful to be able to alter note lengths in a standalone device.
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and AutoLatch.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

Bes
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2020

:) thank you Marcos this will be very useful
- Certified Reason expert

moneykube

23 Mar 2020

wait ! delta discontinued so soon after I bought it... wow :o
those that have it should get this for free if it was that buggy !
I see delta still in shop... you must have been referring to the node you removed... I hope?
Last edited by moneykube on 23 Mar 2020, edited 1 time in total.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

joeyluck

23 Mar 2020

Socram wrote:
23 Mar 2020
joeyluck wrote:
23 Mar 2020

Glad to hear it looks useful to you! Yes that was a bit intentional in an attempt to save a bit of space, but if its a source of confusion I will add that in the next update!
Yep! Bought it! :)

It might not be confusing. Although I'm used to testing and trying things... Mac has a control key of its own, so not sure how many other mac users would be confused by it not working before they try other key combinations.

joeyluck

23 Mar 2020

moneykube wrote:
23 Mar 2020
Delta isn't discontinued. He was talking about a similar node that was in Delta during early testing that he had to cut because of bugginess.

Socram
RE Developer

23 Mar 2020

moneykube wrote:
23 Mar 2020
I see delta still in shop... you must have been referring to the node you removed... I hope?
Delta is absolutely 100% NOT discontinued... its also extremely stable and has been essentially bug free since 1.0.1 thanks to over a year of development, months of rigorous testing, and holding myself to extremely high standards when it came to code quality.

I simply wasn't able to get this sort Note Length functionality working with the rest of the system without causing a lot of headaches. So I made this device instead. No need to panic :shock: :lol:

There will be more content coming soon for Delta, but I needed a little break and wanted to work on something new.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

Bes
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2020

my favourite thing to do today has been to consistently forget which note i have latched open

Socram
RE Developer

23 Mar 2020

Bes wrote:
23 Mar 2020
my favourite thing to do today has been to consistently forget which note i have latched open
I used the glow around the Latch Buttons to hopefully help with this exact issue, but I admit it can still get pretty confusing. Don't hesitate to let me know if you have any suggestions on anything the device could do to help you keep track of this!
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

joeyluck

23 Mar 2020

Bes wrote:
23 Mar 2020
Isn't this solved by following it with a Player like Note Monitor, Chord Detector, or NoteView?

moneykube

23 Mar 2020

Socram wrote:
23 Mar 2020
Delta is absolutely 100% NOT discontinued...

whew... awesome... hoped it was the test node
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

joeyluck

23 Mar 2020

I had a lot of fun playing with this today :)

A couple features which I think might be cool and useful:

- A velocity latch button mode.
When this mode is selected and triggered, the velocity value would define the gate length. I understand this can be tricky, because then the user might want to set the range of gates and the curve for this mode...and perhaps even per button. But it might get some cool results even if it's simple; linear or predefined.

- Option to assign mod wheel to adjust all gate lengths.
I imagine something along the lines of moving multiple faders at once in the Mixer. The mod wheel at 0 would be your current settings and at full would be long gates. And then an option to do the inverse—make gates shorter than the current settings. And this might be another feature where people might want more options to define settings, but something predefined might still be useful and fun to play with.

Maybe some features like this could be incorporated with use of CV connections?

Bes
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2020

this is more of a comedy than a problem, it's mostly when i'm paying more attention to the synth and not the keyboard. adding a note detector to the end of the chain could help but if i am augmenting the midi signal before the autolatch it will only show the augmented note not the original. i should just put vegemite on my fingers :)
Last edited by Bes on 23 Mar 2020, edited 1 time in total.

joeyluck

23 Mar 2020

Small graphical bug:

The 'N' and 'T' of 'COUNT' are cutoff (the N partially and the T entirely). On macOS, Reason 11.

[EDIT] Actually I can see the font change within a split second when loading AutoLatch (from what I see in the images and your video, to being cutoff). I guess these words are built into the custom display. It's a small thing, but figured I'd point it out for you.

video:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Fi7ZDM7PC61ncKcg6

Socram
RE Developer

23 Mar 2020

joeyluck wrote:
23 Mar 2020
I had a lot of fun playing with this today :)

A couple features which I think might be cool and useful:

- A velocity latch button mode.
When this mode is selected and triggered, the velocity value would define the gate length. I understand this can be tricky, because then the user might want to set the range of gates and the curve for this mode...and perhaps even per button. But it might get some cool results even if it's simple; linear or predefined.

- Option to assign mod wheel to adjust all gate lengths.
I imagine something along the lines of moving multiple faders at once in the Mixer. The mod wheel at 0 would be your current settings and at full would be long gates. And then an option to do the inverse—make gates shorter than the current settings. And this might be another feature where people might want more options to define settings, but something predefined might still be useful and fun to play with.

Maybe some features like this could be incorporated with use of CV connections?
Velocity Latch is a super cool idea, its exactly that sort of "well what if I could set up X to affect Y..." that brought Delta into existence. I will add both of these suggestions to my issue tracker!
joeyluck wrote:
23 Mar 2020
Small graphical bug:

The 'N' and 'T' of 'COUNT' are cutoff (the N partially and the T entirely). On macOS, Reason 11.

[EDIT] Actually I can see the font change within a split second when loading AutoLatch (from what I see in the images and your video, to being cutoff). I guess these words are built into the custom display. It's a small thing, but figured I'd point it out for you.

video:
Doh can't believe I let that slip through the cracks... if you care to know this is probably my biggest frustration with the Rack Extension SDK. This cutoff text bug doesn't occur on Windows as you can see in the video, and none of my testers nor myself own a Mac (I'm going to PM you about this shortly). I can usually catch it with some extra diligence, but I missed this one, thank you so much for reporting I am going to fix that ASAP.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

joeyluck

23 Mar 2020

Socram wrote:
23 Mar 2020
Velocity Latch is a super cool idea, its exactly that sort of "well what if I could set up X to affect Y..." that brought Delta into existence. I will add both of these suggestions to my issue tracker!
Awesome! :puf_smile:
Socram wrote:
23 Mar 2020
joeyluck wrote:
23 Mar 2020
Small graphical bug:

video:
Doh can't believe I let that slip through the cracks... if you care to know this is probably my biggest frustration with the Rack Extension SDK. This cutoff text bug doesn't occur on Windows as you can see in the video, and none of my testers nor myself own a Mac (I'm going to PM you about this shortly). I can usually catch it with some extra diligence, but I missed this one, thank you so much for reporting I am going to fix that ASAP.
Oh yeah I understand. I've tested for other RE developers and what they see when building the GUI is never quite the same in the Rack or across platforms sometimes. Then they have to guesstimate adjustments, and then see how it turns out after a new build is complete and available.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

24 Mar 2020

joeyluck wrote:
23 Mar 2020
How do you use this and for what benefit?
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

MannequinRaces

25 Mar 2020

This looks really neat! I'm going to trial soon. In the future if you need any Mac testers please let me know. :)

joeyluck

25 Mar 2020

Boombastix wrote:
24 Mar 2020
joeyluck wrote:
23 Mar 2020
How do you use this and for what benefit?
Were you able to watch the video? :)

First, I'm using it to transform existing MIDI. I'm having fun finding new ways to compose by experimenting with it on parts I've already written. It's a handy way to build and organize a song by transforming an existing riff/melody for other parts, such as a chorus, bridge, breakdown, etc. I especially like it for the example given 1 minute into the video with the patch, "Instant Drama." Also as shown, it's a great way to get new life out of other Player presets.

I'm also using it for triggering instruments such as the UJAM ones. The Virtual Guitarist for example has a latch feature (which of course latches and stays on), but with this I can set AutoLatch to 1 bar and latch only a single, full phrase at a time. I can also set it to something like a 1/4 or lower to create new rhythms that way, with the phrase lasting the same duration each time. Or I can create a sequence of varying gate lengths.

It's a great tool to have.

FGL

25 Mar 2020

Instant buy. Very helpful. You can also automate the playing of the individual slots. Finally a device for longer tones, pads and melodies. It's a shame that you can't work with patterns in the sequencer. That would be perfect.

FGL

25 Mar 2020

The device makes the length of the notes flexible. Something that is almost as important to the melody as the sound. Otherwise you need the sequencer to do that.

This allows you to perfect a well-practiced variant, manipulate it and call it up on the spot.

Socram
RE Developer

25 Mar 2020

Glad to hear you both making awesome and diverse uses of AutoLatch, and I'm all ears when it comes to anything it might be missing! :)
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

Arjanders

25 Mar 2020

I like it as well! A small improvement for me would be with the automation lane, especially of the manual sequence index. In the current version the values 0, 7, 13, 20, 27, 33 .. until 100 representing step 1-16. If it's possible it would be nice to see 1-16 instead 0-100 in 16 intervals.

e: interrupt mode does this already I just see (:

• Information