ReFill or separate folders?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Ulpu

25 Mar 2020

Just out of curiosity, do you prefer Refills or samples/sounds in separate open folders? Why?

I tend to go for separate folders.
At least it feels that folders are easier to go through for particular sound (let’s say I am searching for bass). And folders are easier to manage - refills might have several type of sounds I don’t need but I can’t delete them or arrange them.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Mar 2020

Ulpu wrote:
25 Mar 2020
Just out of curiosity, do you prefer Refills or samples/sounds in separate open folders? Why?

I tend to go for separate folders.
At least it feels that folders are easier to go through for particular sound (let’s say I am searching for bass). And folders are easier to manage - refills might have several type of sounds I don’t need but I can’t delete them or arrange them.
You can make a favourites folder in the browser and then drag in your favourite patches from refills into that. If you want to sort them in category you can make subfolder in the favourites folder.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Heigen5

25 Mar 2020

By browsing samples from in the ordinary folders is slower for the Reason's sound-browser than browsing samples from of the Refills - that's why making Refills out of my samplebanks has been my way to go.

xboix

25 Mar 2020

Always separate files/folders if I have the choice. If I had the ability to delete/rearrange the contents of refills I'd use them more.

I generally like my sounds organised by type rather than by instrument or musical style. If I want a bass I don't much care what instrument plays it or whether the author of the patch thinks it is for, say, acid. I just want to browse "clean" bases or "distorted" basses or whatever.

I've got hundreds of refills, some bought, some free, and they are unmanageable. We desperately need a librarian function which would scan all refills and folders and let me browse by name, type, instrument, genre etc.

Ulpu

25 Mar 2020

MrFigg wrote:
25 Mar 2020
Ulpu wrote:
25 Mar 2020
You can make a favourites folder in the browser and then drag in your favourite patches from refills into that. If you want to sort them in category you can make subfolder in the favourites folder.
This might be helpful!
Thanks for the tip ;)

Ulpu

25 Mar 2020

Any ideas can I create folder in to the Browser/Favorites List in Reason - and inside this folded sub folders? I can’t seem to find away for that...

I can only create folder and import sounds in to this folder. But can’t find a way to create/import sub folders?

Ulpu

25 Mar 2020

Maybe this picture gives better idea what I am trying to explain:D
Attachments
596C72FA-350B-48FC-BF82-9488DABE71A3.jpeg
Something like this
596C72FA-350B-48FC-BF82-9488DABE71A3.jpeg (26.06 KiB) Viewed 319 times

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Mar 2020

Ulpu wrote:
25 Mar 2020
Maybe this picture gives better idea what I am trying to explain:D
Aaa. Yeah. Hmm. That’s actually right. Sorry. Just favourites then. :(
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

plaamook

25 Mar 2020

Folders. Because mostly I use my own recordings or third party sound packs if it’s something I can’t record myself.
Also I can then edit or add to files and folders easily.
Even if I used a refill, which I don’t generally (cause they tend to be just recordings of instruments etc) I’d bounce em and unpack them into folders.

Honestly I never got the point to refills. It’s just a folder you can’t access or edit on their own.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

• Information