Live and the Reason rack

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Jagwah

24 Mar 2020

A friend just got ableton live and I'm considering trying it out.

Just wondering what people think is better about live or what benefits live has over reason?

If.my friend uses live and the Reason rack vst and i just use reason can we collaborate in any way besides bouncing stems? Can we share files at all?

Is the Reason rack vst limited to one vertical rack? I like working sideways and spreading out my instruments for organisation and i haven't seen that in the rack vst footage I've seen...

Cheers!

xboix

24 Mar 2020

You can't share songs between Reason and Reason Rack but you can both use the same combis as long as they don't include any VSTs.

I don't think you can get Reason Rack to show more than one vertical rack but there is not much point as you would have a separate rack per track/instrument (which could include several chained fx) because of the limited MIDI routing.

Sterioevo

24 Mar 2020

Why don't you grab a trial version of Live and have a play around? IMO individual workflow has a big impact on the strengths and benefits of each platform. Grab it and try out some ideas, give it a try with how you and your friend intend to collaborate.

For me personally, I really enjoy that you can load up a combinator in Ableton, tweak and record to track. You can then deactivate the Reason VST with little or no impact on CPU (you can also freeze of course), allowing you to commit and still have access to the original sound generators without crippling your CPU.

Elastic audio obviously :) At the same time I prefer to do some processing in Reason - again, individual workflow....

Jagwah

24 Mar 2020

xboix wrote:
24 Mar 2020
You can't share songs between Reason and Reason Rack but you can both use the same combis as long as they don't include any VSTs.

I don't think you can get Reason Rack to show more than one vertical rack but there is not much point as you would have a separate rack per track/instrument (which could include several chained fx) because of the limited MIDI routing.
I didn't know the rack plugin worked that way, so I wouldn't need to work horizontally. Cool that you can share combis. Interesting thanks.

Jagwah

24 Mar 2020

Sterioevo wrote:
24 Mar 2020
Why don't you grab a trial version of Live and have a play around? IMO individual workflow has a big impact on the strengths and benefits of each platform. Grab it and try out some ideas, give it a try with how you and your friend intend to collaborate.

For me personally, I really enjoy that you can load up a combinator in Ableton, tweak and record to track. You can then deactivate the Reason VST with little or no impact on CPU (you can also freeze of course), allowing you to commit and still have access to the original sound generators without crippling your CPU.

Elastic audio obviously :) At the same time I prefer to do some processing in Reason - again, individual workflow....
Thanks I may as well give it a go now, still nothing is jumping out enticing me even elastic audio but it will be interesting, thanks for your input ;)

PhillipOrdonez

24 Mar 2020

I love the workflow for mixing in live. It's so fast and accessible. With the reason rack plugin is a match made in heaven for me.

I still write stuff in Reason standalone, then bounce the audio and finish it in live with lots of instances of the RRP.

EdGrip

24 Mar 2020

It's quite different - of course it's heavily built around non-linear clip-launching and loop-based music making. It also encourages slicing and musical manipulation of audio and samples. I'm very much enjoying learning and playing with it, and I think it complements Reason very nicely for the kind of stuff I like playing with - electronic music. Both Live and Reason encourage experimental thinking - or that's my feeling anyway. They are different enough that I think in a different way depending on which one I open, which is fun. I have a used Push 2 controller.

If you enjoy the endless cross-modulation possibilities of Reason but fancy experimenting with the non-linear approach, Bitwig sits somewhere between Live and Reason - but that doesn't help if you're wanting to collab with a Live user.

Definitely try the demo - once you've learned one DAW it's much quicker to get your head around another, and Live has very good built-in tutorials, a very good manual and a website full of good videos.

• Information