Reaper free license till end of June 2020

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
avasopht
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2020

http://cockos.com/reaper/reaper_2020_te ... icense.txt

Code: Select all

This is a temporary license key valid through the end of June 2020, offered to those working remotely and/or 
social distancing who want to use REAPER from home.

REAPER can import your license key automatically if you copy the following text to your clipboard:
... click above link for LICENSE

Oquasec

22 Mar 2020

Gonna put that to good use.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

joeyluck

22 Mar 2020

Well that's a great way to try to grab new customers. Once you've worked with a DAW for several months (for free), you'll need to buy a license to continue working on those projects (and working with a DAW that you are now familiar with). Or maybe it's more motivation to finish your songs before the temporary license ends? Lol

I have a few 'several months free' of this and that software that came bundled with other purchases, all of which I have never used, because I know what the outcome is haha. If I plan to use (or want to continue to use) something beyond a typical trial period (14 or 30 days), then that means it's something I want to buy or need to buy.

But in any case. Nice gesture.

Jackjackdaw

22 Mar 2020

I don't think Reaper will lock you out of your projects , unless they have changed it the license is like an honesty box, encouraging you to pay but not forcing you.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
22 Mar 2020
I don't think Reaper will lock you out of your projects , unless they have changed it the license is like an honesty box, encouraging you to pay but not forcing you.
You don’t think they’ll have a time limited usage on it like when you get a 14 day trial which you need to press a key to open it and it says “trial version so many days left” and at the end of 14 days it stops working? Long sentence eh? :):):)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Proboscis

22 Mar 2020

MrFigg wrote:
22 Mar 2020
Jackjackdaw wrote:
22 Mar 2020
You don’t think they’ll have a time limited usage on it like when you get a 14 day trial which you need to press a key to open it and it says “trial version so many days left” and at the end of 14 days it stops working? Long sentence eh? :):):)
I have a Reaper licence, but if I recall, it's always been an 'annoy screen' after the trial that appears on launch, but it does not disable any functions. And it disappears after a minute or two. They rely on the 'honesty system', for people to support them by buying a key, which is very cheap for non-commercial use.

And, if I also recall, the standard trial time is 60 days, so really all Cockos are offering here is one month more than the two months you get in the first place

sdst
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2020

meanwhile a friend wants to buy Expanse Synthesizer, but the dongle intro cost $99

joeyluck

22 Mar 2020

sdst wrote:
22 Mar 2020
meanwhile a friend wants to buy Expanse Synthesizer, but the dongle intro cost $99
Maybe someday there will be an empty, free Rack.

But until then, remind them what they get with Reason Intro. And with Expanse on sale currently, that's only $164 total. And Expanse has so many CV connections, might as well have some toys to play along with it IMO.
Instruments
Europa Shapeshifting Synthesizer
Thor Polysonic Synthesizer
Monotone Bass Synthesizer
Subtractor Analog Synthesizer
Kong Drum Designer
Rytmik Drum Machine
Redrum Drum Machine
Dr. Octo Rex Loop Player
NN19 Sampler
NN-XT Advanced Sampler
MIDI Out Device
ID-8 Instrument Device

Effects
Audiomatic Retro Transformer
Scream 4 Distortion
RV7000 MkII Reverb
Softube Amp
Softube Bass Amp
MClass Compressor
MClass EQ
MClass Stereo Imager
MClass Maximizer
DDL-1 Digital Delay Line
CF-101 Chorus/Flanger

Player MIDI FX
Scales & Chords
Dual Arpeggio
Note Echo

Utilities
RPG-8 Monophonic Arpeggiator
Matrix Pattern Sequencer
Pulsar Dual LFO
Mixer 14:2
Line Mixer 6:2
Spider Audio Merger & Splitter
Spider CV Merger & Splitter
Combinator

Sounds & Patches
Huge factory sound bank with more than 7000 device patches, loops and samples
And then they get a DAW which might not be their primary DAW, but they can perform different tasks in it like creating REX files or using pitch edit, etc. if they don't have another preferred choice for certain tasks.

I've been persuading my friends and coworkers to grab Reason Intro. It's an easy sell compared to the $400 Kontakt dongle, in which you get very little content—pretty much nothing, just in order to use many Kontakt libraries...

sdst
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2020

joeyluck wrote:
22 Mar 2020
he gets it for europa, I didn't know that intro had Europe

joeyluck

22 Mar 2020

sdst wrote:
22 Mar 2020
joeyluck wrote:
22 Mar 2020
he gets it for europa, I didn't know that intro had Europe
Yeah it's a really great deal. The biggest selling points for some of my friends have been:

Europa
Thor
Kong
Dr. Octo Rex
Scales and Chords
and RV7000 mkII, particularly for convolution

And then of course I point them to all the free ReFills out there for NNXT, etc.

Sorry to get things off topic.

Hopefully someday there may be a free, empty Rack plugin. But even then, it would be hard for me to not tell my friends to get started with Intro for $99.

raymondh

04 Apr 2020

Anyone here switched from Reason DAW to Reaper DAW for more than a few months?

I am guessing that using Reason as a plug in inside any other DAW will be a bit more clunky than using Reason standalone (as you have more 'plumbing' to consider) so you'd want another DAW to have significant benefits over Reason's own sequencer.

My first few tries - it seems to be a very capable DAW, and quite efficient from a screen real-estate view, but not nearly as intuitive as Reason. Most likely because I'm very familiar with Reason and a Noob at Reaper, hence the question to seasoned Reaper users.

The piano roll navigation seems odd - at least different - to Reason but it has one feature I've been wanting for ages in Reason - step time entry from MIDI keyboard!!

Any thoughts from experienced Reaper users?

• Information