Reason 10 ("Unknown exception" error on start up).

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Kryogenic

06 Mar 2019

Hello,

Mybe someone know...

I never used reson 10 before, so I installed reason 10 trial for the first time (downloaded on the official website). After I launch it, Reason logo appears and right after I receiving "Unknown Exception" error message. I tried to reinstall it. I tried to dele ASIO4ALL (because one user had the same issue and it helped him).

I've got Intel i5 on board with 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD.

Any advices? I really want to try reason and buy it, but I cannot even launch it. :(

Thanks!

Loque

06 Mar 2019

Do you have VSTs installed?
Reason12, Win10

Kryogenic

14 Mar 2019

Loque wrote:
06 Mar 2019
Do you have VSTs installed?
Hi,

Yes. I have VSTs installed. VSTa works fine in other DAWs. I tried to install and launch Reason on my 2nd PC - works fine. But 2nd (Desktop-PC) can't travel with me.

"Unknown exception" error appears just before Login and password fields.

I tried everything I knew, nothing helped. :( I want to buy reason, but I need to make it work first. Trial expires in about 19 days.

Thanks.

Loque

14 Mar 2019

I ask, because some VSTs access files which they are not permitted to access. In this case an exception will be thrown and the VSTs normally just catch them. But reason does not allow that and you see this error. Well, this is speculation and might be a reasonable reason for what i already heard about this errors and (Stupid) comments from developers of the VSTs...

Just try to temporarly rename your VST folders or tra several times to start Reason. Reason should internally disable more and more VSTs which are buggy - may take some time...
Reason12, Win10

RandyEspoda

14 Mar 2019

To prevent speculation you should just check the application logs and look for an entry from that time for 'Reason.exe'
It will give an error code through which we can start looking towards specific causes.

Start->Configuration Screen->Administrative Tools->Event Log->Applications

Kryogenic

15 Mar 2019

Loque wrote:
14 Mar 2019
I ask, because some VSTs access files which they are not permitted to access. In this case an exception will be thrown and the VSTs normally just catch them. But reason does not allow that and you see this error. Well, this is speculation and might be a reasonable reason for what i already heard about this errors and (Stupid) comments from developers of the VSTs...

Just try to temporarly rename your VST folders or tra several times to start Reason. Reason should internally disable more and more VSTs which are buggy - may take some time...
Thanks for dvice. I tried to rename "VstPlugins" folders in "Program files" and "Program files (x86), but it didn't helped. I also tried to launc Reason for many times, result is the same :cry:
Last edited by Kryogenic on 15 Mar 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Kryogenic

15 Mar 2019

RandyEspoda wrote:
14 Mar 2019
To prevent speculation you should just check the application logs and look for an entry from that time for 'Reason.exe'
It will give an error code through which we can start looking towards specific causes.

Start->Configuration Screen->Administrative Tools->Event Log->Applications
I do found "Administrative Tools" (I work on Windows 10), and then there was only "Event Viewer". I think it is the same thing. From there I followed to Windows logs -> Application. What I found is only one error which is related to another program (and I uninstalled it :D). I also cheched other sections of "Event viewer, but didn't found any mesages about Reason and its errors :/ Probably, I did something wrong :/

Doh, trial time is ticking and I cannot resolve this issue. Thanks for trying to help me guys! If you have any other advices, I would love to read it.

Kind regards,
Victor

boggg1

16 Mar 2019

You can try this. It has now worked on at least 6 occasions (including twice for me). It should not work but it does.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7503595&p=357087#p357087
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :refillpacker: :rt:

Kryogenic

16 Mar 2019

boggg1 wrote:
16 Mar 2019
You can try this. It has now worked on at least 6 occasions (including twice for me). It should not work but it does.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7503595&p=357087#p357087
Thanks for reply. I tried to renmae Reason folder in program files -> Propellerhead -> Reason. It didn't helped me.
I renamed folder in "My music" as well. Just another new folder ws cretedm but the issue still exists.
I renamed "Reason" to "Reason2" in "ProgramData" folder as well. It didn't helped me to.

I probably doing something wrong, but I have lack of ides. I tried admin rights, I changed windows compatibility mode, I turned off windows Antivirus, but problem still exists. :(

boggg1

17 Mar 2019

If you did exactly what you said in your last post then you renamed the wrong folders, please read the note again.

Entering
%appdata%\Propellerhead Software\
should lead you to somewhere with an address like...
C:\Users\shortformusername\AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software
where shortformusername is unique to your system

Using %appdata% is a shortcut that Windows knows and saves you having to work out the detail of the long path

My other suggestion is that you check that all your sound devices are properly installed in Device Manager - if you need help ask or Google "Device Manager". Look for yellow triangles or question marks indicating a device is detected but not operating properly, hanging Reason.

Loque's advice about VSTs is also very sound. Check this extra (very common) location for VSTs
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins

Lastly ask Propellerhead, they sent me some files to run which fixed odd sound driver problems which they said happened. They did not work for me but they should be the experts.
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :refillpacker: :rt:

Kryogenic

18 Mar 2019

boggg1 wrote:
17 Mar 2019
If you did exactly what you said in your last post then you renamed the wrong folders, please read the note again.

Entering
%appdata%\Propellerhead Software\
should lead you to somewhere with an address like...
C:\Users\shortformusername\AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software
where shortformusername is unique to your system

Using %appdata% is a shortcut that Windows knows and saves you having to work out the detail of the long path

My other suggestion is that you check that all your sound devices are properly installed in Device Manager - if you need help ask or Google "Device Manager". Look for yellow triangles or question marks indicating a device is detected but not operating properly, hanging Reason.

Loque's advice about VSTs is also very sound. Check this extra (very common) location for VSTs
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins

Lastly ask Propellerhead, they sent me some files to run which fixed odd sound driver problems which they said happened. They did not work for me but they should be the experts.
Hey,

Thanks for all the advices and your time.

Sorry, but English is not my native language.

I understood you and also tried to rename Reason folder in "AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software".

All sound devices are also properly installed and re-installed (just in case). I renamed default VST folders in program files (both x86 and x64) I repeatedly tried to launch Reason as well but nothing helped.

It is probably the first time when I stuck for so long at the dead point, with no any light at the end of the tunnel :D

Currently, I do not know what else can I try. I also wrote to the Propellerhead's support. Maybe they will help me with some kind of solution.

I have desktop-pc and Reason works fine there, but I am far away from PC right now. I've got only my noebook with me now and this issue.

Loque

18 Mar 2019

Hmm.... I just remembered that I had problems with the audio driver at some point and could not start Reason.

Do you have multiple audio cards and can you go back to the most common and standard drivers?
Reason12, Win10

Kryogenic

18 Mar 2019

Loque wrote:
18 Mar 2019
Hmm.... I just remembered that I had problems with the audio driver at some point and could not start Reason.

Do you have multiple audio cards and can you go back to the most common and standard drivers?
Uninstalled 2 apps from different audio interfaces andall audio drivers (except standart windows MME). Nohing helped as well :/
Strange thing. Reason works even on my tablet PC, but not on the notebook :/

Reaper, Ableton, Sonar and FL studio are working fine on notebook :cry:

Loque

18 Mar 2019

Ok... Than I run out of ideas... Maybe an other hardware or driver problem, what I would expect a reboot sooner or later.
Reason12, Win10

Kryogenic

19 Mar 2019

Loque wrote:
18 Mar 2019
Ok... Than I run out of ideas... Maybe an other hardware or driver problem, what I would expect a reboot sooner or later.
Yeah, I also run out of ideas. Strange thing.

qantor

30 Dec 2019

I just saw this thread because I was looking for a solution for the same kind of problem. Reason no longer worked after updating from Windows 7 to Windows 10 ... "Unknown exception". In short, Windows 10 decided on its own to change the graphics processor associated with Reason from Integrated to Nvidia. So all I had to do was change the default graphics processor associated for this program from "Nvidia High Performance to Integrated Graphics". The Nvidia graphics card I have in my workstation-laptop is the Quadro, not the GeForce. I hope this will help others.

rar313

21 Mar 2020

I want to add my success story about this tip with Reason 10 on a Windows 10 PC. I was getting "unknown exception" error message also, even as Reason 9 worked normally on the same computer.

In the lower right hand corner of the Windows 10 desktop where it has the magnifying glass, I typed %appdata%\Propellerhead Software... (Note the back slash after %appdata%). Actually the auto search turned up the correct file folder just after "Pro..." I clicked on the yellow file folder icon which appeared just to the left of my search box.

This opened a file folder window: "This PC> Local Disk (C:) > Users > User > AppData > Roaming > Propellerhead Software."

There were several subfiles. I renamed the file folder called "Reason" to "Reason2" and closed the window.

I went back an restarted Reason. The "unknown exception" error did not appear. Instead I was asked a question or two about the audio source but now I have Reason 10 working normally.

In case it matters, I had done an uninstall of Reason 10 and then reinstalled a fresh (non working) copy from the original downloaded zip file.

rar313

21 Mar 2020

I want to add to my earlier post. After using the tip to navigate to the %appdata%/propellerhead software and renaming the Reason folder to Reason2 and then restarting, I noticed that on restart I was asked to choose an audio driver. ASIO4ALL generated an error message so I used the Realtek speaker option. After successfully starting Reason 10 I went into the Preferences/Audio Driver section and tried ASIO4ALL (after downloading and installing the latest version). This generated an "Unknown Exception" error too. I was also informed that the "Rewire Host" had selected an incompatible sample rate but I did not have the option to change it. Everything good with basic function once I went back to Realtek audio driver option. What are my ASIO options?

Bleurk

04 Jul 2020

Thanks for this.

It has taken me all day to try and fix 'unknown exception' error resetting things uninstall, download, reinstall - unauthorise re-authorise.

Tearing my hair out (plenty to go at there now due to lack of haircuts).

This little fix to force Reason to think it's a fresh install should be in some of sort of handy hints FAQ.

Now back in working order and crucially with a better idea of where to look if this crops up again.

• Information