Mixfood Unison Xs and Mixfood Octo 8

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Ulpu

21 Mar 2020

Torn between these two... :?
(I did try Orange also, but didn’t like it as much as Unison or Octo8). So I am trying to choose between these 2.

Any comments about these two:
- better collection of additional sounds?
- more stable in long run or are they same? I’ve been testing only couple of days and so far no crashes...
- any difference on CPU?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Mar 2020

Imo there are much better synths out there. Of course this is all subjective. I've tried most Studio Corbach synths and honestly I prefer a lot of other Rack extension synths. I would actually rather just use Reasons stock synths over the Mixfood synths. They just sound kind of bland to me. Obviously you have to make up your own mind. We are all different after all.
I do like the Mixfood Ambi generators though. But they are not synths.

Just wondering, why are you looking at these two synths spefically? Is it because of the cheap price?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Mar 2020

The two ambient ones are the best ones. WT4 I like. I’ve got a few others but they’re just ok. Funny thing with Studio Corbach stuff is that you see the price and think man that’s cheap. Then before you know it you’ve bought stuff for over €80 which’d have gotten you something much better. Live and learn.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Ulpu

21 Mar 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
21 Mar 2020
Just wondering, why are you looking at these two synths spefically? Is it because of the cheap price?
Yes, the price is a main factor here...
I also tried Helium & Aquios X4. But they didn’t “feel” good to use. And 2 of free VSTs - but their all sounds sounded quite “metallic” (or something).

Ulpu

21 Mar 2020

I make edm & looking mostly for bass and lead synths for the RE.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Mar 2020

Ulpu wrote:
21 Mar 2020
Ok I see.

Imo some of the best ones are Legend, Zero Hybrid Synthesizer, Expanse. Also FM4 is a personal favorite.

I don't know If it helps, but here's a couple of my tracks where I've used only one synth for each track (except for all the drum sounds which are samples). Of course these tracks don't show the full capabilities of every synth. But sometimes actual musical examples can help more than trying to describe how they sound.

Legend

FM4

Zero

Expanse

aeox
Competition Winner

21 Mar 2020

Ulpu wrote:
21 Mar 2020
Check out eXpanse and viking2

Ulpu

21 Mar 2020

They are a bit over my budget :D

About Unison:
I can’t find option for mono or legato...? I saw a post from 2015(?) saying they are fixing it/bringing mono/legato...

HeresJohnny312

21 Mar 2020

I'd say all studio Corbach stuff is just too basic sounding ,despite the insane amount of knobs and sliders everywhere (its gui is very jumbled) , but just try a few presets when you try it out, you will realize all the sounds are boring. The good thing is the cpu hit isn't bad at all since these devices are all idt devices using samples. Force me to pick Id pick the unison.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Mar 2020

If you're on a tight budget, it's probably better to save up some money a couple of months to buy one of the bigger synths.
If you manage to save up about 200 bucks you will able to buy really good deals, like the Synthetic Rig 4 or Synapse Bundle. That would be much smarter instead of buying individual synths for an unnecessary high price. The Synapse Bundle went for 100 bucks at one point. That one includes Legend and Antidote (two really great synths) and also a bunch of really good effects. The Synthetic Rig goes for 200 bucks right now. With all that's included you'd be set for at least 2 years of playing around with stuff.
I don't know what version of Reason you're on right now? If you have R10 or R11 you'll be able to squeeze out way more out of the current stock instruments than you will from any Mixfood or DNA labs synth. I say save your money for now, instead of buying these cheap synths.

Ulpu

21 Mar 2020

Expanse especially sounds good after some testing. And also Zero...
Just playing their own sound libraries throughout and they both have quite a variety of different sounds...

It’s true that the cheaper ones (Octo etc) tend to have this some sort of “basic” sound in all of the sounds... I mean they offer huge sound libraries but still the sounds have some very similar thing in them. But again, just been testing the sounds from the sound libraries quickly.
But then again, the price is only 9e at the moment :D

Viking2... gonna rest that also.

TheDragonborg

21 Mar 2020

If you are on a budget just use Europa... I have so many REs and VSTs but Europa still gets heavy use...

HeresJohnny312

21 Mar 2020

Id say if you want the best of the best, Europa or Parsec 2, nothing even comes close, some are very nice but far from having optimized code. Expanse is super nice but try to make a sound using 3 lfos and an envelope and a couple oscillators and you have crazy crackling on a 2020 i7 mac with 16gb of ram. Zero is nice but has the same problem but stock Reason Synths barely hit your cpu since they are highly optimized. Id master the reason synths...

OverneathTheSkyBridg

23 Mar 2020

I agree with the others here. You already have everything you need if you have Europa or even Thor.

• Information