What are your must have Rack Extensions?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
charlizesen1

27 Feb 2020

Fairly new to Reason. Looking for some rack extensions to try out. What are some of your favorites? Any you can’t live without? Sequencer? Synth? Effects? Etc etc10.0.0.0.1 192.168.1.254 hotmail.com
Last edited by charlizesen1 on 29 Feb 2020, edited 1 time in total.

MannequinRaces

27 Feb 2020

Anything by Lectric Panda, Robotic Bean, Distillery, The Legend, and Delta!

buddard
RE Developer

27 Feb 2020

I'd say that it depends a lot on what kind of music you make or what kind of sounds you're after, and what you feel is missing from the devices that are included with Reason?

And also which version of Reason are you running, is it Intro, Full or Suite?

aeox
Competition Winner

27 Feb 2020

What kind of music do you make?

Trials often don't get reset for a long time, or ever. So make sure to take your time with each device , I made this mistake when I first started using Reason. (subscription wasn't around when I started)

Ever since eXpanse was able to load wavetables, I never use serum So that's the synth that I couldn't live without.
The best money I spent was on the mix and mastering bundle. Also, the Synapse bundle.

If you plan on buying any bundles, wait for the holidays! You're going to save yourself a lot of money. Subscription is a good way to test stuff out too.
Last edited by aeox on 27 Feb 2020, edited 1 time in total.

guitfnky

27 Feb 2020

dangit, I hate when new users ask this question, because the RE2A has been discontinued, and I can’t recommend it. :(

if you need a variety of stuff—some great synths and effects, I’ll second the suggestion of the Synapse bundle. I bought most of those separately, and would do so again gladly. they’re an incredible value. especially The Legend synth, Deep Reverb, and the multi band EQ (forgetting the name). I’ve heard Antidote is an excellent synth as well.

that said, depending on the version you picked up, there’s an awful lot you can do with just the stock devices. if you’re just starting out, I’d actually hold out on buying third party stuff until you’re comfortable with what’s already there. no need to feed GAS so early. 😂
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

HeresJohnny312

27 Feb 2020

hydronexius and the zero synthesizer are must haves! Not sure if its considered an RE but Parsec for sure also.

aeox
Competition Winner

27 Feb 2020

And if I had to choose "must haves" for me they would be:

ColoringEQ

eXpanse

DR-1 Deep Reverb

Saturation Knob (free)

Decimort 2

Selig Gain

Forgotten Compressor

Mace Professional Compressor

DYN-4

Bes
Competition Winner

27 Feb 2020

and my interests are with composition and Midi processing so Kompulsion, Chordline & DELTA get used a lot in my rack. until players became a thing i used to do all my composition with CV and there are a lot of great free CV manipulation tools but nothing does as much as Kron can do. for sounds i really like Resonans and Nostromo.

my advice would be to get to know the devices that come with Reason first because you can do a lot with a Thor and a couple of spiders
- Certified Reason expert

PhillipOrdonez

27 Feb 2020

I'm saving my answer until op provides more information. My favourite devices might be totally useless to the next Reason user and vice versa.

Hazel

27 Feb 2020

Hmm...

Free:
Softube - Saturation Knob
Little io - Little LFO (confusing, but...super slow and wide lfos, and great low bass tones with a bit of work)
Pongasoft - a/b 12 (might take a bit to figure out what to do with it if you are new)
jiggery pokery - tma-1 commentator (it's great for separating sections in the rack to keep it less cluttered)

Cheap:
OchenK - Glitch (takes a bit to really open this thing up, but it's really cool once you can figure it out)
Skrock - Aurora (pretty simple and straightforward, easy to use)

Other:
Rob Papen - Punch (I feel I use this one quite a lot, sounds fantastic)
Synapse - Antidote (fairly straightforward, sounds great)
Audiorealism - ABL3 (Acid!)

That's some of what I use a lot, although I don't really own any really new stuff, so I can't comment on those.

Spaceship

28 Feb 2020

Complex-1, Sequences, delta midi computer, and upgrade your EQ.
Last edited by Spaceship on 17 Mar 2020, edited 1 time in total.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

17 Mar 2020

For me:

Disperser: Transient effect thingy. Makes transient heavy sounds cut through the mix. It shapes the sound somehow. It's a one trick pony but I use it all the time. Just don't overdo the effect and you'll be fine.
Classic Filter: Sounds very smooth. It's free too.
FRG-4RE Compressor: Great for drums and bass sounds.
Cassette Recorder Audio Processor - No.2: It's a joke plugin, but I use it all the time for serious use. Lovely warm distortion.
GQ-7 Graphic Equalizer: My go-to EQ. Has everything one needs in an EQ and looks good too.
Legend Synthesizer: Imo the best sounding synth I've used. The drive knob, filter section, in-built reverb, all sound awesome.
DR-1 Deep Reverb: Beautiful lush reverb.
Carve EQ Ducker: This one has saved many of my mixes. Just be careful with the amount setting.

One of the best deals out there is probably the Synapse RE Collection.

gullum

17 Mar 2020

Guess it depends a little on what kind of music you make. I make generally Guitar music so for me I could not do without Kuassa

EdGrip

17 Mar 2020

The PMS-20 filter by Primal Audio is probably my #1 RE. Good for filterin', good for colouring and saturation.

FLVZ

17 Mar 2020

Subjective answer. I really like experimenting in reason so I've grown fond of really weird devices or devices that are really flexible and can behave strangely with some settings.

Synths:
VK2 - there just isnt a better synth out there for classic analog sound and it can do a heck of a lot more than that
Mono/Poly - the unison....the unison
RP PRedator - Super versatile, the presets are world class!
Noise engineering Synth Bundle 1 - really good devices for layering with other instruments
Legend - sounds from the billboard100

FX:
Neutron - super quirky, has had a different use almost every-time I called upon it
Classic filter
Fritz - used for psychedelic effects more often than not. Very unique
Distillery
AD480 Reverb - the miracle reverb with some amazing presets and incredible flexibility
Selig Leveler
Selig Colouring EQ - best RE-Eq imo, it does everything I've ever imagined whilst experimenting
Dyn-4
C1L1 compressor
MMax MB Limiter
BZR-1 - CV fun!
Itsy - used in every track as long as i can remember
Ammo 1200BR - instrument and CV shape powerhouse

If I got hacked today and started again, these are what I'd miss most!

Honourable mention PSQ-1684, not my kind of device but so so powerful.

kinkujin

18 Mar 2020

Great advice thus far. I'm going to add my 2 cents as just about everyone who has purchased it will probably agree ...

Legend by Synapse. Holy crap.

Kalm

18 Mar 2020

SPEM mixer
Kuassa Kratos 2 (Ozone on the master bus)
Softube TSAR-1 for drum reverb
Softube Saturation Knob cause its literally that good
TS-1 Time slider for groove time sliding

Radical Keys to lay down ideas
Umpf Club Drums. Best Drum RE
TMA-1 Commentator

If I have these, I'll get by no problem. Honestly this is where I'm trying to get to as far as RE's go.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

rgdaniel

18 Mar 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
27 Feb 2020
I'm saving my answer until op provides more information. My favourite devices might be totally useless to the next Reason user and vice versa.
OP ain't never coming back...

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

18 Mar 2020

Flavolous wrote:
17 Mar 2020
AD480 Reverb - the miracle reverb with some amazing presets and incredible flexibility
Still haven't tried this one for some reason. But maybe I should wait for a sale before I try it, just in case I like it. :)

Boombastix
Competition Winner

18 Mar 2020

Get the Synth Rig.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

PhillipOrdonez

18 Mar 2020

rgdaniel wrote:
18 Mar 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
27 Feb 2020
What's the point of starting a thread asking a question and never bothering to check the answers? There are a few of those here.

joeyluck

18 Mar 2020

rgdaniel wrote:
18 Mar 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
27 Feb 2020
Well you never know.

In any case, the thread serves more than just the OP, so people can feel free to share their answers for each other and other new Reason users.

dvdrtldg

18 Mar 2020

Instruments:
eXpanse
VK2
The Legend
Re-Tron & ChamberTron
Nostromo
Vecto
Resonans

EQs:
EVE-MP5
Trident
GQ-7

Compressors:
RE-2A
C670
Softube FET
Selig Leveler

Filters:
Etch Red
D-Filter
PMS-20
Synapse AF-4
Runciter

Distortion/saturation:
Etch Red
Decimort 2
Tritone Multiband Waveshaper
FutzBox
... although there's a bigger & better variety of options out there in VST land. Distortion so far hasn't been REs' strong suit imo

Weird:
Strontium 90
kHs Reverser
kHs Ring Mod
Fritz
GrainShift Delay
Sunder Amplitude Splitter

Utilities:
PSQ-1684
Little LFO
Shape LFO
RE 180 Dynamic Driver
Euclid
Ochen K CV Tuner
all the Jiggery Pokery splitters/mergers
Quadelectra CV Suite line processor
Randrome

... and Selig Gain

Proboscis

22 Mar 2020

Jiggery Pokery's beautiful Chorus rack extension makes guitar sound lush.

And Selig's great Leveller plugin.

• Information