Advanced Music Production Retreat

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
aeox
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2020

https://pitcch.me/

Interesting!
Last edited by aeox on 01 Mar 2020, edited 1 time in total.

aeox
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2020

Would be cool to see other opinions on production focused retreats like this.

Hanging out with 14 other people who share the same passion as you and at a similar skill level and learning from people you've always looked up to sounds like an awesome combination for a vacation!

Proboscis

12 Feb 2020

I think it's a cool idea, if one has the money.

And for anyone who see's Bali and immediately thinks 'Wanker Central' for it's reputation of attracting many young British & Australians who spend their whole holiday drinking cheap alcohol around the clock, the location of this retreat is around 10 miles away from the area that they usually gravitate to. Far enough away to not be impacted by that circus.

There are also some good dive safaris operating elsewhere on the island, particularly to the North about three hours drive, if that's your thing. But I've heard that water pollution is rapidly becoming a major problem over the past two years.

PhillipOrdonez

12 Feb 2020

I think RBMA is a better option and is free. You just got to apply and get selected.

aeox
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
12 Feb 2020
I think RBMA is a better option and is free. You just got to apply and get selected.
This is unique because the 3 mentors are people I've looked up to for years and all share similar interest in experimental sound design. You also have to apply and be accepted for Pitcch as well.
Last edited by aeox on 12 Feb 2020, edited 2 times in total.

aeox
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2020

Proboscis wrote:
12 Feb 2020
I think it's a cool idea, if one has the money.

And for anyone who see's Bali and immediately thinks 'Wanker Central' for it's reputation of attracting many young British & Australians who spend their whole holiday drinking cheap alcohol around the clock, the location of this retreat is around 10 miles away from the area that they usually gravitate to. Far enough away to not be impacted by that circus.

There are also some good dive safaris operating elsewhere on the island, particularly to the North about three hours drive, if that's your thing. But I've heard that water pollution is rapidly becoming a major problem over the past two years.
Oh I've never heard much about Bali really. Never left the NW of the states actually :o

The villa looks really nice and seems like a good location. It's beautiful.

Appreciate the info!

PhillipOrdonez

12 Feb 2020

aeox wrote:
12 Feb 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
12 Feb 2020
This is unique because the 3 mentors are people I've looked up to for years and all share similar interest in experimental sound design. You also have to apply and be accepted for Pitcch as well.
Well that sounds wonderful for you then! I had never heard of any of them before today though. :) I hope you can go!!!

Proboscis

12 Feb 2020

aeox wrote:
12 Feb 2020
Oh I've never heard much about Bali really. Never left the NW of the states actually :o

The villa looks really nice and seems like a good location. It's beautiful.

Appreciate the info!
Oh well, in that case, Bali is PERFECT for a first-timer to the South East Asian region. It's mostly a tourist island so you won't struggle to get by with much hassle, but it different enough for it to be a genuine experience.

You'll be eating, breathing, sleeping with your electronic music hero's, gaining some amazing teachings, and that villa... you'll be living like a goddamn rock star for a week.

Might I also suggest that if you go - since you're travelling sooooo far to get there, consider whether you can do another week in a nearby destination. Seems a shame to not get the most out of such a long flight. South East Asia can be cheap if you want it to be. Real cheap, like $30 living comfortably in a homestay or family hotel, eating as the locals do, and using public transport. Or maybe that's not you, there are always options to step it up to whatever budget you wish.

Domestic airfares between countries in the region is stupidly cheap too. Recently I needed to get from point 'A' to point 'B' , an unscheduled and unplanned detour (I rarely make an itinerary lol) for a few days in Thailand. Two options were a bus trip, of which the ticket price was $30 and an 8 hour drive, or a plane ticket, also $30 and a 1 hour flight. Its so cheap if you use one of the several budget carriers, that I often find myself having to double check after saying WTF that cant be right

Proboscis

12 Feb 2020

Case in point, you could get from Bali to Kuala Lumpur, a whole other country, within three hours for only 90 bucks. :thumbs_up:

After one week as a Rockstar, your next week could be as a gypsy journeyman exploring new lands.

>
fare_denpasar_KL.PNG
fare_denpasar_KL.PNG (27.46 KiB) Viewed 8974 times

aeox
Competition Winner

18 Feb 2020

Proboscis wrote:
12 Feb 2020
Case in point, you could get from Bali to Kuala Lumpur, a whole other country, within three hours for only 90 bucks. :thumbs_up:

After one week as a Rockstar, your next week could be as a gypsy journeyman exploring new lands.

>
fare_denpasar_KL.PNG
Sounds really fun but I wouldn't be able to get that much time off work, unfortunately.

plaamook

18 Feb 2020

Proboscis wrote:
12 Feb 2020
There are also some good dive safaris operating elsewhere on the island...
That would pretty much be the end of the retreat for ol' plaamook!

If I had the money to get back out there I wouldn't get out of the water for a month.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Proboscis

20 Feb 2020

plaamook wrote:
18 Feb 2020
Proboscis wrote:
12 Feb 2020
There are also some good dive safaris operating elsewhere on the island...

If I had the money to get back out there I wouldn't get out of the water for a month.
I recently noticed your avatar in another post of yours, and along with your username (in Thai language, pla=fish, mook=?) I expected you might have been right into Southern Asia's ocean waters. Have you dived Menjangan, in Bali ? .. usually departing from Lovina, and picking up at some of the dive camps closer to the north western tip of the island along the way. I went out on a dive boat, under the premise of 'just' snorkeling offshore rather than diving (I do not have my PADI) and even shallow reef area was the best underwater experience I've had. When I followed the divers out to the ocean floor drop, and watched them descend down into the darkness, I convinced the Dive Master to kit me up, and I went a little further into the depths. I know, I know, he should have his DM certification revoked for allowing this, but I'm sure you know how it goes.... a few $$ slipped into a pocket helps make things happen. A lot of my travel experiences involve turning "no" into "yes" with a little financial lubrication. :lol: :lol:

Proboscis

20 Feb 2020

aeox wrote:
18 Feb 2020
Sounds really fun but I wouldn't be able to get that much time off work, unfortunately.
Ok, work commitments is a fair call. But at least try and get three or four extra days, just staying on Bali and exploring independently of the 'living like a rock star' week. It's such a small island, that you could finish up your week in the bungalow, then head north for a few days.

Maybe a day/night in Ubud, on the way. Don't know your vintage, but do you know Michael Franti ? "Television" (aka the drug of a Nation!).. he of 'Disposable Heroes of HipHoprisy', and 'Spearhead' ? These days he lives in Ubud, Bali, and runs a Yoga retreat there. Ubud has a bit of a new-agey vibe, albeit it's very mainstream tourist-ridden now, but sits in the middle of the island, so no beaches, but some of the most beautiful, lush forests you may ever experience. Some opportunities to stay in family-run guest houses too, to get a bit more of a local experience. Or not.. there are plenty of regular hotels, at every price range from $20 - $1000 a night.

And when / if you make it to the upper north coast, there's less tourism. Still enough for it not to be a struggle, but a little more authentic. Lovina's an interesting stay, it feels like it might have been a thriving resort town in the 70's, but never really took off. I thought the vibe was cool up there, but as I usually do, I befriended some locals pretty early on. Tends to be my thing, I'm not that interested in hanging out with other foreigners when I travel.

There are other parts in the North that are excellent, but a bit harder to get around, unless you hire a scooter.

Anyway, my point is.. if you're travelling so far for this workshop, I highly recommend you work out how many extra days you can squeeze your employer for, to get another life experience, especially since it's your fist time away from home. If you only do the producer's retreat, you'll be rather 'protected' from the real Bali, since everything will be accommodated for, and your movements will also be restricted to a schedule. But 3-4 days after it's finished, 'busting out' is very possible on the island.

Proboscis

20 Feb 2020

oh and for what it's worth, you dont need to have PADI diving cert to experience the joys of the underwater. There are some truly brilliant snorkeling opportunities at various places off Bali. And anyone can snorkel, as long as they know how to breath and stay chilled.

plaamook

20 Feb 2020

Proboscis wrote:
20 Feb 2020
plaamook wrote:
18 Feb 2020

I recently noticed your avatar in another post of yours, and along with your username (in Thai language, pla=fish, mook=?) I expected you might have been right into Southern Asia's ocean waters. Have you dived Menjangan, in Bali ? .. usually departing from Lovina, and picking up at some of the dive camps closer to the north western tip of the island along the way. I went out on a dive boat, under the premise of 'just' snorkeling offshore rather than diving (I do not have my PADI) and even shallow reef area was the best underwater experience I've had. When I followed the divers out to the ocean floor drop, and watched them descend down into the darkness, I convinced the Dive Master to kit me up, and I went a little further into the depths. I know, I know, he should have his DM certification revoked for allowing this, but I'm sure you know how it goes.... a few $$ slipped into a pocket helps make things happen. A lot of my travel experiences involve turning "no" into "yes" with a little financial lubrication. :lol: :lol:
Plaamook means squid, cuttlefish, octopus in Thai. I used to work in Krabi on the Andaman coast on dive boats years back when everything was pretty basic. I'm told there's a MacDonalds there now. Mad. Never made it to Indonesia. Well, not yet anyway.
On one of the boats there was a boy of 18 or so who worked filling tanks and helping out. He pretty much lived on the boat. He came down from where ever because he wanted to be a diver so we were trying to get the PADI manual translated into Thai. Imagine that? All those divers crawling around in their courntry and you couldn't get the manual in the local language. Anyeway, we found out he used to put our kit on at night and just go pissing around in the shallows, no idea about dive theory or anything. So we told him (in bad thai) that it was dangerous, explained barotrauma etc.and generally started to teach him to dive properly.
Anyway, one day we got into loads of trouble because on a slow day we just took him down on a proper dive. He loved it. Not advised practice but he was quite familiar with it all and super chilled out so... I left shortly after all that so never knew what happened to him but I hope Bao bacame a real diver. He earned it.

These I mostly dive in the UK for either money or for fun.

Or here.

Proboscis

20 Feb 2020

plaamook wrote:
20 Feb 2020
No PADI manual in pasa Thai is very surprising. We might then assume that there is no Bahasa Indonesian PADI manual either. That makes me wonder how the Indo DM's I've been out with even got their certification, since their spoken English was not so great.

As for McDonalds in Krabi - that's progress, some may say. It still surprises me to see western food chains in Asia. Last year I wandered around the backstreets of Bangkok, eating local street food (as I do) and I happened to emerge hours later on a main road with a Pizza Hut at the corner. Of course, unlike Krabi, that's to be expected of a modern major city like BKK, but the contrast between the working class (street food) and the well-to-do (Pizza Hut, Starbucks, etc) makes me shake my head.

As for diving the UK. All I can say is..... FUCK... THAT..... too cold for my taste. I'd rather swim in waters that don't make my heart stop from shock immediately upon submersion. Although that said, I've always felt uncomfortable in a lot of Thailand's (on-shore) waters, because it's too warm... kind of feels like I'm swimming in piss.

You should def. try and get to Indo. There are a couple of good submerged shipwrecks. Maybe too shallow for a pro-diver like yourself, but I find underwater wrecks pretty fascinating. It's rare to find shipwrecks to snorkel. For Bali, I'm referring to the USS Liberty, an American ship destroyed by a Japanese submarine missile attack in WW2. From memory there is also a Soviet shipwreck in the area, but I'm not sure if I've seen it (a lot of my travels involve alcohol & lots of other stuff.... sooooo.....)

Oh and aeox - all this awaits you, brother ! All this AND MORE ! Book that producer's week ! Tell your boss you're taking 14 days off, and if he/she doesn't like it, they can shove their job up their ass !

plaamook

20 Feb 2020

Proboscis wrote:
20 Feb 2020

As for diving the UK. All I can say is..... FUCK... THAT..... too cold for my taste. I'd rather swim in waters that don't make my heart stop from shock immediately upon submersion.
Not as bad as you think. only really gets down to like 10c but up to 17-19c in the summer and autumn. I'd never swim in the UK. Wimp about the cold. But you get a dry suit or a thick wet suit and you're away.

Norway on the other hand... (helmet photo)...saw -2c there. That was a bit much.

Or here.

Proboscis

18 Mar 2020

aeox wrote:
12 Feb 2020

Interesting!
Sorry to hear that this has been postponed. I hope you are not out of pocket (airlines in my country are offering full refund/credit on international flight cancellations, so I hope that applies to you as well.

Even if it had gone ahead, you would be quarantined on the way in, and quarantined again when you got home !

aeox
Competition Winner

18 Mar 2020

Proboscis wrote:
18 Mar 2020
aeox wrote:
12 Feb 2020

Interesting!
Sorry to hear that this has been postponed. I hope you are not out of pocket (airlines in my country are offering full refund/credit on international flight cancellations, so I hope that applies to you as well.

Even if it had gone ahead, you would be quarantined on the way in, and quarantined again when you got home !
I don't think I'll get a refund for the flight. The ticket says non-refundable and non-transferable.

Reasonable man

18 Mar 2020

aeox wrote:
18 Mar 2020
Proboscis wrote:
18 Mar 2020

I don't think I'll get a refund for the flight. The ticket says non-refundable and non-transferable.
Did you pay airline by credit card?
Check out credit card refunds section 75 if so.

If you booked accomdation there just cancel on the accomodation website for a refund. i guess.
With regards to the event itself ...if they officialy cancel you might get a part refund

selig
RE Developer

18 Mar 2020

I gotta say that in that destination I'd be severely distracted by the surroundings. I'm used to working in windowless studios for days on end, which is probably what I'd be doing on such a retreat if I were to immerse myself in the music (which is the idea, right?). Such a retreat could happen in a Hampton Inn conference room in Des Moines for all I care, if the people were inspiring.

As a side note, I had a blast getting together with like minded electronic musicians yearly over a 10 year period a while back (in a super cool setting, Arcosanti AZ). Still great friends with most of the folks, and I felt that working with a group of like0minded peers (fellow synth/gear heads) to be as inspiring as learning from a few seasoned pros IMO. Always came home energized and ready to get creative on a whole new level… :)
Selig Audio, LLC

Proboscis

19 Mar 2020

selig wrote:
18 Mar 2020
I gotta say that in that destination I'd be severely distracted by the surroundings. I'm used to working in windowless studios for days on end, which is probably what I'd be doing on such a retreat if I were to immerse myself in the music (which is the idea, right?). Such a retreat could happen in a Hampton Inn conference room in Des Moines for all I care, if the people were inspiring.

As a side note, I had a blast getting together with like minded electronic musicians yearly over a 10 year period a while back (in a super cool setting, Arcosanti AZ). Still great friends with most of the folks, and I felt that working with a group of like0minded peers (fellow synth/gear heads) to be as inspiring as learning from a few seasoned pros IMO. Always came home energized and ready to get creative on a whole new level… :)
As you would know, it was not uncommon for rock bands of times now long passed, to try new & different 'venues' in which to record their albums. Led Zeppelin laid down a number of tracks in rural English homes, that they would book out for long periods. Contrary to your suggestions (of your own experiences/creative spaces, of which I acknowledge), I truly believe that some of those Zeppelin tracks took on a lot of the 'back country' vibe, that may not have been nurtured to fruition, had the band been holed up in a sterile working environment, or for that matter a conventional studio.

I think it was also Led Zeppelin (or it may have been Deep Purple), who, after booking out a large country Manor to work on new music and chill out, get away from the heavy touring schedule (LZ by this time were already huge, and rich), often put the drummer in a whole other area, perhaps the hallway, far away from the rest of the band, and in consideration of the best acoustic environment in which to record the drums.

There were also a number of bands that would go to similar unconventional 'studio' settings, and utilize the "Rolling Stones Mobile Studio", a roll-up (relatively) high tech recording unit that can turn any home or country mansion into a facility to capture tracks for an album. And the very concept of the 'mobile studio' for the Stones came from their desire to get away from the mundane environment and embrace the wonders of rural life, and record some music at Jagger's mansion.

Flash forward 50 years, and the 'Producer's Week' in Bali.... and a whole new proposal that sets it apart from a recording studio type arrangement, in that it's to learn, rather than to create. This is not a recording artist's retreat, it is a learners retreat. I would imagine with a lot of free time, to either hang out with the core crew (retreatants & mentors) or explore the area solo, knowing that there's a very well appointed abode to return to, with everything catered for. I think the retreat is an extraordinary opportunity, in a wonderful environment, that fosters a relaxed way to learn a thing or two about electronic music production. Hiring out some space in the local library/hotel conference room/scout hall and presenting the same syllabus as this retreat offers, well it seems rather bland.

Proboscis

19 Mar 2020

aeox wrote:
18 Mar 2020
Proboscis wrote:
18 Mar 2020

Listen friend. My inbox is open if you want to chat off-forum. Believe it or not, I feel some disappointment on your behalf. First trip abroad, and then the world goes pear-shaped. My excitement for your upcoming experience has turned to empathy.

All I have to say for now is that you should really follow up on those booking you made. You might get a refund, or a credit for that airline. In the past, I have had a couple of international flights that were cancelled due to 'acts of god' and the airlines had no hesitation in offering me a credit for the full value, to use within 12 months, to ANYWHERE I choose to go in the future.

If I may ask, how are Pitcch handling this ? Are they offering a refund on the retreat attendance fee, or simply deferring your enrollment for an unspecified time in the future ?

Whatever unfolds, you should definitely not assume your money's gone on undeliverable services. Chase it up.

selig
RE Developer

19 Mar 2020

Proboscis wrote:
19 Mar 2020
As you would know, it was not uncommon for rock bands of times now long passed, to try new & different 'venues' in which to record their albums. Led Zeppelin laid down a number of tracks in rural English homes, that they would book out for long periods. Contrary to your suggestions (of your own experiences/creative spaces, of which I acknowledge), I truly believe that some of those Zeppelin tracks took on a lot of the 'back country' vibe, that may not have been nurtured to fruition, had the band been holed up in a sterile working environment, or for that matter a conventional studio.

I think it was also Led Zeppelin (or it may have been Deep Purple), who, after booking out a large country Manor to work on new music and chill out, get away from the heavy touring schedule (LZ by this time were already huge, and rich), often put the drummer in a whole other area, perhaps the hallway, far away from the rest of the band, and in consideration of the best acoustic environment in which to record the drums.

There were also a number of bands that would go to similar unconventional 'studio' settings, and utilize the "Rolling Stones Mobile Studio", a roll-up (relatively) high tech recording unit that can turn any home or country mansion into a facility to capture tracks for an album. And the very concept of the 'mobile studio' for the Stones came from their desire to get away from the mundane environment and embrace the wonders of rural life, and record some music at Jagger's mansion.

Flash forward 50 years, and the 'Producer's Week' in Bali.... and a whole new proposal that sets it apart from a recording studio type arrangement, in that it's to learn, rather than to create. This is not a recording artist's retreat, it is a learners retreat. I would imagine with a lot of free time, to either hang out with the core crew (retreatants & mentors) or explore the area solo, knowing that there's a very well appointed abode to return to, with everything catered for. I think the retreat is an extraordinary opportunity, in a wonderful environment, that fosters a relaxed way to learn a thing or two about electronic music production. Hiring out some space in the local library/hotel conference room/scout hall and presenting the same syllabus as this retreat offers, well it seems rather bland.
I TOTALLY agree (with the first part). My first full time studio job was in a castle in the country, perfect retreat for work and I recorded MANY cool and inspiring projects there. I've also take entire studio setups to old churches, country retreats, cabins in the woods, etc. It's a proven formula for inspiration. That being said, I've also taken some gear on vacations, and never found the time to use it (but when I came home the dam busted and I was very productive). I'm extremely inspired by nature, but to get that level of inspiration I have to be totally immersed in it (which is impossible if I'm head down over a keyboard). What works for me can't possible work for everyone else, so take my comments with a large grain of salt!

What I think you missed from my comments is that this retreat is not an album project. It's a learning environment, and only a week long. Album projects would be many weeks, if not months, with plenty of down time for band members to explore and get inspired. Also, band members are not playing for the studio time from their own pockets in your examples, and a learning retreat is not cheep - if you really want to get your monies worth you stay inside and absorb all you can, learn everything possible, and milk the celebrities for everything you can because you only have one week with them! Again, under THOSE circumstances it wouldn't matter a hoot to me what was outside my window, I'd be TOTALLY absorbed with what was INSIDE. Maybe others are less interested than I would be, that's just the way MY brain works.
Selig Audio, LLC

aeox
Competition Winner

19 Mar 2020

Proboscis wrote:
19 Mar 2020
aeox wrote:
18 Mar 2020

Listen friend. My inbox is open if you want to chat off-forum. Believe it or not, I feel some disappointment on your behalf. First trip abroad, and then the world goes pear-shaped. My excitement for your upcoming experience has turned to empathy.

All I have to say for now is that you should really follow up on those booking you made. You might get a refund, or a credit for that airline. In the past, I have had a couple of international flights that were cancelled due to 'acts of god' and the airlines had no hesitation in offering me a credit for the full value, to use within 12 months, to ANYWHERE I choose to go in the future.

If I may ask, how are Pitcch handling this ? Are they offering a refund on the retreat attendance fee, or simply deferring your enrollment for an unspecified time in the future ?

Whatever unfolds, you should definitely not assume your money's gone on undeliverable services. Chase it up.
I appreciate your empathy.

The travel agency I used is offering a credit that has to be used by January 6th 2021(i'm going to call to see if I can get a refund but it's a 3-4 hour wait on the phone). Pitcch is handling it the best they can and I'm getting a refund.

• Information