Which feature requests are most important to Reason DAW users? (oh boy here we go again)

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Busta US

22 Feb 2020

And here's the example of a proper "Brush Tool" (1:43)

aeox
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2020

Busta US wrote:
22 Feb 2020

Using the pencil, hold control. I'm glad they made it add them in a straight line. So annoying when it works as you described.

Also, I used FL studio for years before Reason. I hated how it would delete a note just because I clicked on it!

Mike B

14 Mar 2020

aeox wrote:
24 Feb 2020
Busta US wrote:
22 Feb 2020

Using the pencil, hold control. I'm glad they made it add them in a straight line. So annoying when it works as you described.

Also, I used FL studio for years before Reason. I hated how it would delete a note just because I clicked on it!
Just to clear things out. In FL Studio, you left click to add a note and right click to remove it. No such thing as clicking back to remove note like you mentioned. I agree with Busta US that this would be very efficient for writing drums and keys.

Also, in FL Studio, if you accidentally right clicked on the note to remove it, when you left click to add it back, it saves its properties (velocity, etc..) which is extremely convenient. FL remembers the last note/pattern property you click on.

It would be great if they can do the same in Reason, especially in Pencil mode. Click once to add and click again to remove. If by mistake you removed the note then you can simply click back and the note and its property are written back.

EdwardKiy

14 Mar 2020

GESTURE CONTROL (nobody voted for)

Can be one of the biggest time-savers out there? Consider this (just off the top of my head):

hold shift and clickandhold (left, right or mousewheel - take your pick) anywhere on the sequencer screen.

Now tug left or right = horizontal zoom, tug up or down = vertical zoom. BOOM! Now you have full double-axis zoom control in a single swipe, instead of having to operate a castle draw-bridge to get there with 2 keys and a mouse wheel.

That's just one example. I have more.

EdwardKiy

14 Mar 2020

Busta US wrote:
22 Feb 2020

BEAUTIFUL! How can we not have this?

guitfnky

14 Mar 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
14 Mar 2020
GESTURE CONTROL (nobody voted for)

Can be one of the biggest time-savers out there? Consider this (just off the top of my head):

hold shift and clickandhold (left, right or mousewheel - take your pick) anywhere on the sequencer screen.

Now tug left or right = horizontal zoom, tug up or down = vertical zoom. BOOM! Now you have full double-axis zoom control in a single swipe, instead of having to operate a castle draw-bridge to get there with 2 keys and a mouse wheel.

That's just one example. I have more.
you can already do similar in Reason, with arguably an easier shortcut.

shift+mouse wheel=vertical scroll
ctrl+mouse wheel=horizontal zoom
ctrl+shift+mouse wheel=vertical zoom (focused on cursor position)

no mouse clicking necessary. I think it’s more elegant than having to click and drag.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

EdwardKiy

14 Mar 2020

guitfnky wrote:
14 Mar 2020

no mouse clicking necessary. I think it’s more elegant than having to click and drag.
This is exactly what I referred to as "operating a castle draw bridge". Gestures include acceleration, so It's not at all similar. You can determine how fast you want to zoom in or out with the acceleration of your swipe. That's three functions in a single gesture using one button with an added acceleration parameter. Elegant.

joeyluck

15 Mar 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
14 Mar 2020
guitfnky wrote:
14 Mar 2020

This is exactly what I referred to as "operating a castle draw bridge". Gestures include acceleration, so It's not at all similar. You can determine how fast you want to zoom in or out with the acceleration of your swipe. That's three functions in a single gesture using one button with an added acceleration parameter. Elegant.
Again, get a trackpad ;)

EdwardKiy

15 Mar 2020

joeyluck wrote:
15 Mar 2020
Again, get a trackpad ;)
Here's a part of my answer from a previous thread for all to see:

1. Trackpad does not and cannot replace a mouse, not even a basic 800 DPi one, because it can either have precision without speed, or speed without precision, not both, and neither remotely as good as what you'll have with a mouse. Being able to zoom faster, but losing speed and accuracy everywhere else is not worth it, so having a trackpad INSTEAD of a mouse is not an option. And having to lift my hands from either a keyboard or a mouse to do something as simple as a zoom defeats the purpose.

2. I have a pretty decent 6400 Dpi Razer mouse that makes the Apple Magic Mouse feel like a piece of junk in my hand, both tactile and in responsiveness. Getting an Apple MM at this point would be a BIG step backwards for me, not forward. And I am appalled that you would suggest buying additional third-party hardware just to get the basic features. To me that's the same as suggesting I should use Ableton Live for sequencer.

3. The feature is basic and everyone has a mouse, either good or bad. This has been in some other DAWs since release and it works well.
Last edited by EdwardKiy on 15 Mar 2020, edited 1 time in total.

joeyluck

15 Mar 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
15 Mar 2020
joeyluck wrote:
15 Mar 2020
Again, get a trackpad ;)
Here's a part of my answer from a previous thread for all to see:

1. Trackpad does not and cannot replace a mouse, not even a basic 800 DPi one, because it can either have precision without speed, or speed without precision, not both, and neither remotely as good as what you'll have with a mouse. Having to lift my hands from either a keyboard or a mouse to do something as simple as a zoom defeats the purpose of workflow optimization.

2. I have a pretty decent 6400 Dpi Razer mouse that makes the Apple Magic Mouse feel like a piece of junk in my hand, both tactile and responsiveness. That would be a step backwards, not forward. And I am appalled that you would suggest buying additional third-party hardware just to get the basic features. That's the same as suggesting I should use Ableton Live for sequencer.

3. It's basic. Everyone has a mouse, either good or bad. This has been in other DAWs at release and it works well.
Well I guess we can just agree to disagree. What you see as a piece of software being behind, I see a piece of hardware being behind. I can sit here and praise Reason for exactly what it is today the way you praise the mouse.

EdwardKiy

15 Mar 2020

joeyluck wrote:
15 Mar 2020
Well I guess we can just agree to disagree. What you see as a piece of software being behind, I see a piece of hardware being behind. I can sit here and praise Reason for exactly what it is today the way you praise the mouse.
I love Reason. That's why I'm here. Forget the "good mouse". This is a basic workflow feature that doesn't need a hardware solution, which is also a big part of the user experience. There's no excuse for not having it.

PhillipOrdonez

15 Mar 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
15 Mar 2020
joeyluck wrote:
15 Mar 2020
I love Reason. That's why I'm here. Forget the "good mouse". This is a basic workflow feature that doesn't need a hardware solution, which is also a big part of the user experience. There's no excuse for not having it.
Have you tried Z for fast zooming?

guitfnky

15 Mar 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
14 Mar 2020
guitfnky wrote:
14 Mar 2020

the scroll wheel method zooms plenty fast (or slow). unless...you’re working with hundreds of tracks and/or incredibly long songs?

yours is a solution in search of a problem.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Creativemind

15 Mar 2020

Mike B wrote:
14 Mar 2020
Also, in FL Studio, if you accidentally right clicked on the note to remove it, when you left click to add it back, it saves its properties (velocity, etc..) which is extremely convenient. FL remembers the last note/pattern property you click on.

It would be great if they can do the same in Reason, especially in Pencil mode. Click once to add and click again to remove. If by mistake you removed the note then you can simply click back and the note and its property are written back.
I didn't know that FL Studio remembered the properties, that is very handy. I will say though, you could just undo for that? also, FL must have a certain time frame in which in remembers the properties I'd imagine, I mean, if you remove a note then come back in 10 mins and click in the same place, it won't remember the same properties then will it, you may not want it then?

I like how you said Velocities etc as well. There's no etc in Reason. Velocity, that's it. In FL Studio, you can pan notes, filter and resonance I think can be applied to notes, wouldn't be surprised if it has pitch bend too.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

EdwardKiy

15 Mar 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
15 Mar 2020
EdwardKiy wrote:
15 Mar 2020

Have you tried Z for fast zooming?
I have, and it's actually pretty good with a further shift+tab combination, but

a. it's not as good as having gesture support zooming for a few reasons:
1) it's limited to a mouse selection within your field of view, and if you want to go to a different part of the track - here you go again zooming out at least horizontally, or using arrow keys, which are the furthest thing on your keyboard from "Z". I'm suggesting doing all of this with a single swipe.
2) I had to look for shortcuts and instructions on navigation control, so the current way is an additional learning curve for new users and that can't be good. There's no quick way around learning how the racks works, but this is just not needed. And it's less efficient.

b. gesture support does not stop at just zooming, or just navigation, for that matter. How about summoning an undo history window (or any window - take your pick) with a gesture?

Mike B

16 Mar 2020

Creativemind wrote:
15 Mar 2020
I didn't know that FL Studio remembered the properties, that is very handy. I will say though, you could just undo for that?
You could definitely undo. That's the beauty of FL Studio. It gives you the freedom to adapt any workflow.
Creativemind wrote:
15 Mar 2020
also, FL must have a certain time frame in which in remembers the properties I'd imagine, I mean, if you remove a note then come back in 10 mins and click in the same place, it won't remember the same properties then will it, you may not want it then?
For both patterns in the sequencer and notes in the piano roll, when you click on a pattern/note, then click in an empty space, it adds the same pattern/note you have clicked on. Amazing feature if you ask me. For example, say you have different drum patterns, instead of selecting a specific pattern and copy/paste it somewhere else (which you could), you could instead just click on that pattern, and then click where you want to duplicate it in the sequencer. So it's not about the timing really. It just remembers the pattern/note you click on.

That's what I truly love about FL Studio. It's in the little things. Just like it's "loop" mode. It automatically loops the piano roll/pattern/sequencer till the last bar you created. Instead of manually taking the "L", "R" loop markers like in Reason. Very workflow oriented.
Creativemind wrote:
15 Mar 2020
I like how you said Velocities etc as well. There's no etc in Reason. Velocity, that's it. In FL Studio, you can pan notes, filter and resonance I think can be applied to notes, wouldn't be surprised if it has pitch bend too.
That is also very true. There are many note properties in the piano roll in FL Studio. The Velocity "space" under the notes can be used for other things than just velocity (indeed the ones you have mentioned), but when you click on a note it opens a window for note properties where you can do more. Sliding and portamento for example. Sliding notes literally created a whole new scene in the UK. the new UK Drill/Grime is very Bass "sliding" oriented. Something you can't replicate in Reason even when using the NN-XT pitch wheel. Nowhere close to the accurate and clean sound of FL Studio's sliding property.

Creativemind

16 Mar 2020

Mike B wrote:
16 Mar 2020
Creativemind wrote:
15 Mar 2020
I didn't know that FL Studio remembered the properties, that is very handy. I will say though, you could just undo for that?
You could definitely undo. That's the beauty of FL Studio. It gives you the freedom to adapt any workflow.
Creativemind wrote:
15 Mar 2020
also, FL must have a certain time frame in which in remembers the properties I'd imagine, I mean, if you remove a note then come back in 10 mins and click in the same place, it won't remember the same properties then will it, you may not want it then?
For both patterns in the sequencer and notes in the piano roll, when you click on a pattern/note, then click in an empty space, it adds the same pattern/note you have clicked on. Amazing feature if you ask me. For example, say you have different drum patterns, instead of selecting a specific pattern and copy/paste it somewhere else (which you could), you could instead just click on that pattern, and then click where you want to duplicate it in the sequencer. So it's not about the timing really. It just remembers the pattern/note you click on.

That's what I truly love about FL Studio. It's in the little things
Yeah I noticed that when using FL Studio ages ago, there's multiple ways of doing things so you can choose the way you like it. Multiple Clip types, multiple pianos in the piano roll, multiple ways to do things. I've heard people say they don't get on with FL Studio but I think they found it's approach confusing. Once it clicks it's just there. Everything's so fast and it's just where you want it imo for quickness. Scan the vst folder for example and it's quick and the new vst is highlighted in the list, sure it does the same when you add samples in a folder that's in the browser, you just refresh the browser and the samples show up in a different colour, easy to find. It also probably has the most powerful and efficient piano roll out of all the daw's. Heard loads of people say so too. I stopped using it as I'm guitarist and there was no comping or manually quantizing audio in the playlist. One of FL Studio's major flaws.

I didn't know that about the U K Bass/Grime scene. Reason needs up it's game in it's midi editor. It's actually laughable they only just added muting a midi note in 2019. 19yrs after the daw's been on the market. It's a basic midi editing feature. I started using Reason in 2012 and it was something I stumbled on needing to do in the first week or 2 of using it.

Mike B

18 Mar 2020

Creativemind wrote:
16 Mar 2020
Yeah I noticed that when using FL Studio ages ago, there's multiple ways of doing things so you can choose the way you like it. Multiple Clip types, multiple pianos in the piano roll, multiple ways to do things. I've heard people say they don't get on with FL Studio but I think they found it's approach confusing. Once it clicks it's just there. Everything's so fast and it's just where you want it imo for quickness. Scan the vst folder for example and it's quick and the new vst is highlighted in the list, sure it does the same when you add samples in a folder that's in the browser, you just refresh the browser and the samples show up in a different colour, easy to find. It also probably has the most powerful and efficient piano roll out of all the daw's. Heard loads of people say so too. I stopped using it as I'm guitarist and there was no comping or manually quantizing audio in the playlist. One of FL Studio's major flaws
I agree with you. There are many people complaining about FL's workflow. In reality it is really the easiest approach if your are somewhat organized. It might seem messy at first but once you set up your template, the workflow speed is astonishing.

I'm not a guitarist myself, but I think they have added comping in the new versions. Regarding audio quantizing there is now a plugin called SliceEX that might be what you're looking for.

Also, have you by any chance tried Ableton Live ? My friend is a guitarist as well and I recommended Ableton for its live features. He tells me it's the best advice I've given him.
Creativemind wrote:
16 Mar 2020
I didn't know that about the U K Bass/Grime scene. Reason needs up it's game in it's midi editor. It's actually laughable they only just added muting a midi note in 2019. 19yrs after the daw's been on the market. It's a basic midi editing feature. I started using Reason in 2012 and it was something I stumbled on needing to do in the first week or 2 of using it.
Both FL Studio and Ableton Live have advanced Gliding/Sliding and Portamento features. You can control the speed of Glide/Slide/Portamento and their rate as well as impulse. Extremely helpful for 808 basses and synth slide controls.

Reason and Studio One are very late in that aspect unfortunately.

Creativemind

18 Mar 2020

Mike B wrote:
18 Mar 2020
I'm not a guitarist myself, but I think they have added comping in the new versions. Regarding audio quantizing there is now a plugin called SliceEX that might be what you're looking for.

Also, have you by any chance tried Ableton Live ? My friend is a guitarist as well and I recommended Ableton for its live features. He tells me it's the best advice I've given him.
Yeah audio quantizing hasn't been added in FL Studio 20 as yet. It must be in the playlist too. Edison or Slicex don't do it like it needs to be done. It needs to be done like Reason with transient markers in the playlist.

Ableton - sorry not a massive fan of Ableton although it's good for live with it's Scene Mode.

EdwardKiy

19 Mar 2020

Creativemind wrote:
18 Mar 2020

Ableton - sorry not a massive fan of Ableton although it's good for live with it's Scene Mode.
I don't like Ableton either, but the sequencer... After about half an hour of trying to chop up and mangle/edit an audio file in Reason and move it around, we couldn't afford wasting any more time and there was this very painful (for me) moment, where we had to go "oh fuckit", and just use Live for sequencer. I even bought a Reason 10 just for rewire, so now I have 2 versions of Reason, just because they can't make the sequencer usable, let alone RIGHT.

I'm not making this up. I looked it up, and this forum is basically a graveyard of posts like this asking for a sequencer update, of people being frustrated, of people leaving the platform - people who spent money on this and whos voices have been ignored for a decade, as I'm starting to find out. This is FAILURE and there is no nice way of putting it, nor did RS earn it - it's time to face the music.

That said, Reason should be ahead of the game, because they got the hard parts right, and the other DAWs to me are just sequencers and glorified VST hosts. But it doesn't make a good sequencer any less important.

How hard can it be to sit down 3 power users of main competitor DAWs and one dude with a stopwatch to time them with a series of tasks. You'll identify all the problems in a matter of days. I'm sure you can find a couple hundred euros to pay some students for their time? Or maybe free copies of Reason? If you're so down on money - ask us for donations. I'll throw in a tenner and I'm sure the older users would give even more on a promise to make the sequencer a bit less shit.

SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER
ffs

Mike B

20 Mar 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
19 Mar 2020
Creativemind wrote:
18 Mar 2020

I don't like Ableton either, but the sequencer... After about half an hour of trying to chop up and mangle/edit an audio file in Reason and move it around, we couldn't afford wasting any more time and there was this very painful (for me) moment, where we had to go "oh fuckit", and just use Live for sequencer. I even bought a Reason 10 just for rewire, so now I have 2 versions of Reason, just because they can't make the sequencer usable, let alone RIGHT.

I'm not making this up. I looked it up, and this forum is basically a graveyard of posts like this asking for a sequencer update, of people being frustrated, of people leaving the platform - people who spent money on this and whos voices have been ignored for a decade, as I'm starting to find out. This is FAILURE and there is no nice way of putting it, nor did RS earn it - it's time to face the music.

That said, Reason should be ahead of the game, because they got the hard parts right, and the other DAWs to me are just sequencers and glorified VST hosts. But it doesn't make a good sequencer any less important.

How hard can it be to sit down 3 power users of main competitor DAWs and one dude with a stopwatch to time them with a series of tasks. You'll identify all the problems in a matter of days. I'm sure you can find a couple hundred euros to pay some students for their time? Or maybe free copies of Reason? If you're so down on money - ask us for donations. I'll throw in a tenner and I'm sure the older users would give even more on a promise to make the sequencer a bit less shit.

SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER
ffs
Screenshot_2020-03-20 Reason Studios - Posts.png
Screenshot_2020-03-20 Reason Studios - Posts.png (16.08 KiB) Viewed 2070643 times
They dare ask :lol:

This is exactly what happens when the DAW itself doesn't provide an official forum for their members.

The sequencer is ages behind current DAWs, especially FL Studio's.

Since you are an ableton user and have tried Reason already, I'd like to ask you a question regarding sampling:

I find sampling in ableton much efficient obviously, but how would you define the sample's quality when you warp it and slow the tempo ?

I am well aware of the different options of warp (beat, complex, complex pro, etc..), but do you find the sound quality any equivalent to Reason's timestretch ?

I have found Reason's timestretch to be extremely high quality especially when stretching the audio slower, but failed to reproduce that quality in Ableton. Maybe I'm doing something the wrong way ? I've tried all options and followed many tutorials. Reason's timestretch, despite its horrible workflow flaws, won compared to Ableton's in terms of quality of sound.
Last edited by Mike B on 20 Mar 2020, edited 1 time in total.

zoidkirb

20 Mar 2020

Mike B wrote:
20 Mar 2020

That one comment really encapsulates either how far out of touch they've become or how in denial they are about the state in things.
I feel given enough time things might get figured out but I'm afraid time is running out now.

EdwardKiy

20 Mar 2020

Mike B wrote:
20 Mar 2020

Oh. my. god.

Mike B wrote:
20 Mar 2020

Since you are an ableton user and have tried Reason already, I'd like to ask you a question regarding sampling:

I find sampling in ableton much efficient obviously, but how would you define the sample's quality when you warp it and slow the tempo ?

I am well aware of the different options of warp (beat, complex, complex pro, etc..), but do you find the sound quality any equivalent to Reason's timestretch ?
No, Live's is inferior. Reason's algorithms seem way more advanced in this regard. Throw this in with the rest of the things I was referring to when I said "they got the hard parts right".

drloop

20 Mar 2020

Punch in/out must be implemented NOW!
Editing clips after recording is the single most time consuming task I do in Reason and its drives me nuts.
And no, loop recording is not going to help. When singing you want a headstart with a few bars, and same thing when you record guitars.
And don´t get me started when recordiing multiple tracks at the same time, that´s painful.
When I do a lot of choir recordings it is actually faster for me to switch DAW and then import to Reason again.
I demand punch in/out. Think of new customers who needs this. When I tell my friends that Reason do not have punch in/out they totally don´t get it how hard can it be?
The lack of punch in/rec makes Reason look like a toy and not a professional recording tool.

EdwardKiy

20 Mar 2020

drloop wrote:
20 Mar 2020
Punch in/out must be implemented NOW!
Editing clips after recording is the single most time consuming task I do in Reason and its drives me nuts.
And no, loop recording is not going to help. When singing you want a headstart with a few bars, and same thing when you record guitars.
And don´t get me started when recordiing multiple tracks at the same time, that´s painful.
When I do a lot of choir recordings it is actually faster for me to switch DAW and then import to Reason again.
I demand punch in/out. Think of new customers who needs this. When I tell my friends that Reason do not have punch in/out they totally don´t get it how hard can it be?
The lack of punch in/rec makes Reason look like a toy and not a professional recording tool.
SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER SEQUENCER

you get it

• Information