some help with a Thor patch (SOLVED)

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
EdwardKiy

12 Mar 2020

If there are any Thor connoisseurs, I would much appreciate some help, as I've spent a good long evening trying to figure this out to no avail and I'm out of ideas.

This is a modification of the Thor "Sine World" preset, which is there since Reason 5(4?)

Problem: a horrible ringing sound appears when mod wheel goes over 50% and upwards, like high resonance or unwanted ring modulation somewhere, but I can't find a way to fix it, without destroying the sound completely.

Attaching a song file with 2 bars and mod wheel automation and the Thor patch separately, just in case your reason version is incompatible.

Thanks!
sine world mod wheel ringing.rar
(56.5 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
thor patch ringing with mod wheel.rar
(804 Bytes) Downloaded 60 times
Last edited by EdwardKiy on 13 Mar 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

12 Mar 2020

Hello, I checked out the patch. In the modulation matrix, the mod wheel turns the balance knob between OSC1 and OSC2, as well as increase FILTER1's cutoff frequency. This seems to be the design of the patch. You can reduce or eliminate the ringing by reducing those two modulation amounts.

Also, since the default for FILTER1 is zero, the sound when the mod wheel is low is coming from OSC3, which is a simple sine wave without any modulation. Only when FILTER1's frequency is increased does any signal from OSC1 and 2 become audible. The ringing is because of the frequency modulation going on between them.

EdwardKiy

12 Mar 2020

Timmy Crowne wrote:
12 Mar 2020
The ringing is because of the frequency modulation going on between them
Thank you, hero.

Reducing filter 1 frequency by just 3 and reducing the mod wheel level by 1 made it just the way I wanted it and ringing-free!

Hurrah!

demt

13 Mar 2020

luvely stuff honestly luvely!!
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

• Information