(Fantasy) - The Wizard

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

09 Feb 2020

Another track I originally started writing for a game. It didn't end up in the game for various reasons. The track has gone through some changes since it was decided it wouldn't be feautured in the game.

Heigen5

10 Feb 2020

Sounds neat! I could see this being a music for an ancient-era strategy-game. Even if it didn't get accepted for a game, I think you at least have skills for it.

dioxide

10 Feb 2020

This is cool. I don't play games myself, but the atmosphere and mood on this is strong. Nice piece of music.

Proboscis

10 Feb 2020

'The Wizard' immediately brings my mind to an old Sabbath gem, of the same name.

Proboscis

10 Feb 2020

I'm just saying, is all. There's an incredible song by Black Sabbath off their debut album in 1970, second song of side 1. "The Wizard".

rare_shadow
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2020

Once again great composition and great atmosphere!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2020

Heigen5 wrote:
10 Feb 2020
Sounds neat! I could see this being a music for an ancient-era strategy-game. Even if it didn't get accepted for a game, I think you at least have skills for it.
Thanks. I might have skill to write video game sounding music, the question is if I have the skill to write something that matches the developers vision. That was the main problem here.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2020

dioxide wrote:
10 Feb 2020
This is cool. I don't play games myself, but the atmosphere and mood on this is strong. Nice piece of music.
Thank you :)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2020

rare_shadow wrote:
10 Feb 2020
Once again great composition and great atmosphere!
Thanks, appreciate that :)

Bloma

18 Feb 2020

Excellent sound! Did you use some of those new reason instruments for this?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

19 Feb 2020

Bloma wrote:
18 Feb 2020
Excellent sound! Did you use some of those new reason instruments for this?
Thanks Bloma.
The list of instruments used isn’t that long. The instrumentation is pretty sparse.

Flutes: Legend
Bass: Scenic
Guitar/pluck thingy: Pangea
Strings: ProjectSam drenched in Kuassas Effektor reverb (Shimmer effect)
Percussion thing that plays notes: Booster Pack World.

EdwardKiy

28 Feb 2020

You have 2/3 - Fantasy setting, an adventure, but no wizard. It starts of in a lush green fantasy world, a path beneath the trees, an adventure about to begin. Then it becomes a strategic birds-eye view of the world beneath (strategy game), because it's calm, observant, melancholic. But a wizard is never melancholic, never neutral. He doesn't mess around - he is determined. Kind or Evil, he is a character of passion, falling anywhere on the emotional scale, except for the very middle.

It might also just be that the plucky instrument that starts the piece from 0:00 is the classic Age of Empires sound, and so it's tattooed on our brains as "strategy music".

Having said all that, I wouldn't even know where to begin to accomplish your task. 2 out of 3 is very close and you'll definitely get there.

neverstopneverstoppin!

TheGodOfRainbows

28 Feb 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
28 Feb 2020
You have 2/3 - Fantasy setting, an adventure, but no wizard. It starts of in a lush green fantasy world, a path beneath the trees, an adventure about to begin. Then it becomes a strategic birds-eye view of the world beneath (strategy game), because it's calm, observant, melancholic. But a wizard is never melancholic, never neutral. He doesn't mess around - he is determined. Kind or Evil, he is a character of passion, falling anywhere on the emotional scale, except for the very middle.

It might also just be that the plucky instrument that starts the piece from 0:00 is the classic Age of Empires sound, and so it's tattooed on our brains as "strategy music".
neverstopneverstoppin!
Well stated. I agree. This track for me does invoke more of a bird's eye view "strategy" type of game. However it's still yet another great piece of music from Tritone. Maybe not "wizardy", but really nice stuff nonetheless. i love your choices of instrumentation, mix sounds great, and the composition is on point.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

28 Feb 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
28 Feb 2020

Having said all that, I wouldn't even know where to begin to accomplish your task. 2 out of 3 is very close and you'll definitely get there.

neverstopneverstoppin!
Well it was written for a "strategic birds-eye view" "strategy game" and also for a neutral setting, when there was a break from completing different quests/fights. So maybe I wasn't too far off then. :) You could also pick from a bunch of characters, where one of them was a wizard with spells and stuff.
Having said all that, I agree the song name could be better. I just haven't come up with anything better yet. But I'll gladly listen to title suggestions if you have any. I might change it. It doesn't need to be tied to the game at all. I've changed the music a bit after I knew it wouldn't be included in the game anyway.

While we're talking about song names. Feel free to help me out with this one also. :) The song came about from just brainstorming musical ideas for the game, but I knew while I wrote it it wouldn't fit the game. This track could for sure benefit from a better name. At the moment it's more of temporary "save file name" if you know what I mean.
Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 29 Feb 2020, edited 1 time in total.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

29 Feb 2020

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
28 Feb 2020
EdwardKiy wrote:
28 Feb 2020

neverstopneverstoppin!
Well stated. I agree. This track for me does invoke more of a bird's eye view "strategy" type of game. However it's still yet another great piece of music from Tritone. Maybe not "wizardy", but really nice stuff nonetheless. i love your choices of instrumentation, mix sounds great, and the composition is on point.
Thanks man. Like I said in the comment above, I'll gladly take song name suggestions if you have any. I only went for this one because I couldn't think of anything better at the moment. And rather than letting the song sit there on my computer incomplete without a name, I decided to name it and release it while it was fresh.

EdwardKiy

29 Feb 2020

Off the top of my head, I'd rename The Wizard to "First Encounter (Strategy)" and the second one "The Distant lights of Tristram (Adventure)", because it has that Level 2 vibe, where the environment is becoming a little hostile, but not too hostile just yet. Labeling the genre would show the client that you can achieve a very precise, niche vibe.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

03 Mar 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
29 Feb 2020
Off the top of my head, I'd rename The Wizard to "First Encounter (Strategy)" and the second one "The Distant lights of Tristram (Adventure)", because it has that Level 2 vibe, where the environment is becoming a little hostile, but not too hostile just yet. Labeling the genre would show the client that you can achieve a very precise, niche vibe.
Thanks for the song names. I'll consider them. I especially like "The Distant lights of Tristram" name, since it brings great memories of playing Diablo. :)

aeox
Competition Winner

03 Mar 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
03 Mar 2020
EdwardKiy wrote:
29 Feb 2020
Thanks for the song names. I'll consider them. I especially like "The Distant lights of Tristram" name, since it brings great memories of playing Diablo. :)
I like the track, reminded me of act 2 in diablo 2

Never played the first, but I have fond memories of D2!

Armoor

03 Mar 2020

Enjoyed it. Nice atmosphere and mood for a game.
:reason: Reason 10 - Nektar Impact LX61 - Event TR5 Monitors - IK UNO Synth
https://soundcloud.com/ph4g3th3r4py | https://soundcloud.com/fvmp

EdwardKiy

03 Mar 2020

:thumbs_up: Glad I could help!

Bloma

04 Mar 2020

Hey Tritone, what does your master bus typically look like? You put many things on there?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Mar 2020

Bloma wrote:
04 Mar 2020
Hey Tritone, what does your master bus typically look like? You put many things on there?
It's usually not too much stuff. But it depends on the song of course. Since it's my thread anyway I'll give a couple of concrete music examples for context.

Reasons SSL Master Bus Comp. Ozone Maximizer (RE). And then a Stereo Splitter (for volume automation) to control the fade out at the end.

Reasons SSL Master Bus Comp. Ozone 8 Dynamics (multiband compressor). Stereo Splitter (for volume automation during the song). Ozone Maximizer (RE).

Reasons SSL Master Bus Comp. Stereo Splitter (for some extra stereo side width). 2 instances of DQ Band Dynamics Processor. Stereo Splitter (for volume automation during the song). Ozone 8 Exciter. Ozone 8 Imager. Ozone Maximizer (RE). Stereo Splitter (for volume automation) to control the fade in-/outs of the song.

Proboscis

05 Mar 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
28 Feb 2020
Having said all that, I agree the song name could be better. I just haven't come up with anything better yet. But I'll gladly listen to title suggestions if you have any. I might change it.
If I may gently press upon you with this again..."The Wizard" is already a perfectly awesome song, recorded by Black Sabbath in 1969.

You should def. consider a name change.

Jagwah

12 Mar 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
09 Feb 2020
Another track I originally started writing for a game. It didn't end up in the game for various reasons. The track has gone through some changes since it was decided it wouldn't be feautured in the game.
Great work man, such a strong atmosphere you created!

“What's in a name? That which we call a rose,
by any other name would smell as sweet.”
― William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

^^ I think he is saying a good track is a good track, regardless of the name, so don't stress too much about it.

Proboscis wrote:
10 Feb 2020
I'm just saying, is all. There's an incredible song by Black Sabbath off their debut album in 1970, second song of side 1. "The Wizard".
The following album 'Paranoid' is really something too! I really like to get down with that one :twisted:

• Information