Reason Studios survey

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Faastwalker

10 Mar 2020

I received an email with a link to this last week. First question was 'what version of Reason do you use?', but it only went up to 10. Second of three main questions was, 'What's the main reason you have not upgraded to Reason 11?', or something along those lines. Completing the survey entered you into a prize draw to win the upgrade. So obviously only forwarded to Reason users who have not yet upgraded. Very odd! :-?

Steedus
Competition Winner

10 Mar 2020

I got it too. Must've been sent to everyone who hadn't upgraded yet. I don't think it's that odd.. Just a bit of market research. I think I gave them some genuinely honest and hopefully constructive critical opinions of why I hadn't upgraded - the key one being that I'm a dedicated Reason user for the most part, and this upgrade seems to be targeting people who dip in and out.

The rumoured visual upgrade, if it's real would definitely interest me though.

Jagwah

10 Mar 2020

Faastwalker wrote:
10 Mar 2020
Very odd! :-?
I enjoyed the chance to have a moan directly to Props about my Reason woes, but I figured they must have heard all this a thousand times before, so I found it a little odd too :)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Mar 2020

Hahaha.
Why didn’t you upgrade to 11?
Because it’s crap.
Excellent. You just won a free upgrade. Congratulations.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

dvdrtldg

10 Mar 2020

My answer to "Why haven't you upgraded to 11?" would be "Because it seems OK but not essential to my current needs, and I've got other more pressing demands on my money right now" - which would make me the perfect candidate for a freebie. I like the look of BeatMap and that Sweeper thing. Checking my email now

Boombastix
Competition Winner

10 Mar 2020

I was just harping the same old:
* VST midi out (Standalone + RRP)
* Freeze tracks

Those two and I'll upgrade, always those that makes it hard to finish tracks
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

reddust

10 Mar 2020

I also said the update wasn't worth the money in my case and that I want VST midi out and MPE support

Zac

10 Mar 2020

I mentioned wanting VST MIDI Out as well :thumbs_up:

orthodox
RE Developer

10 Mar 2020

I appreciate their move with that survey. Especially the lottery part.

I voted for better delay compensation, advanced sequencer blocks and 32-bit export/bounce.

Oquasec

10 Mar 2020

Gonna have to second that advanced sequencer blocks idea.
Because moving the blocks from 32 to 999 blocks would make more sense ya feel me?
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

orthodox
RE Developer

10 Mar 2020

Oquasec wrote:
10 Mar 2020
Gonna have to second that advanced sequencer blocks idea.
Because moving the blocks from 32 to 999 blocks would make more sense ya feel me?
I'm talking about endowing Blocks with features that would allow them to compete with Ableton's Session View cells. That is, the ability to have multiple blocks active at the same time, and a block triggering device that could be midi-controlled live, even when the main (song) sequencer is stopped.

Oquasec

10 Mar 2020

The rack plugin and rewire is already here of course but Blocks definitely need to be looked at.
The workaround for exceeding that limit would be convert block to song clip
Last edited by Oquasec on 10 Mar 2020, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

pushedbutton

10 Mar 2020

Is this mutating into another feature request thread? :lol:
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

fieldframe
RE Developer

10 Mar 2020

pushedbutton wrote:
10 Mar 2020
Is this mutating into another feature request thread? :lol:
The Iron Law of Reason forums states that it is not only a possibility, but a certainty.

motuscott

10 Mar 2020

Need Mor Everything
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

demt

10 Mar 2020

everything started to go wrong so i got it full version 2
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

kitekrazy

11 Mar 2020

I was hoping for some kind of discount to put me over the edge like most developers do. Maybe I should have put that in the survey.

TheGodOfRainbows

11 Mar 2020

orthodox wrote:
10 Mar 2020

I voted for better delay compensation, advanced sequencer blocks and 32-bit export/bounce.
Just curious, what do you mean by better delay compensation? In what way can it be made better?

orthodox
RE Developer

11 Mar 2020

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
11 Mar 2020
orthodox wrote:
10 Mar 2020

Just curious, what do you mean by better delay compensation? In what way can it be made better?
Currently, the delay compensation is done only at Mix Channels of the Main Mixer. If you have two signal paths with different latencies (e.g. if you split a signal and put a (reported) delay on one branch), you must end these paths at different Mix Channels in order for the delay compensation to work. You can't merge the paths with any merger or mixer device in the Rack (Line Mixer 6:2 or Audio Splitter/Merger), or the compensation will break. Allowing that would be an easy thing to implement, IMO.

TheGodOfRainbows

11 Mar 2020

orthodox wrote:
11 Mar 2020
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
11 Mar 2020

Currently, the delay compensation is done only at Mix Channels of the Main Mixer. If you have two signal paths with different latencies (e.g. if you split a signal and put a (reported) delay on one branch), you must end these paths at different Mix Channels in order for the delay compensation to work. You can't merge the paths with any merger or mixer device in the Rack (Line Mixer 6:2 or Audio Splitter/Merger), or the compensation will break. Allowing that would be an easy thing to implement, IMO.
I understand. You say it would be easy to implement, but to me it seems like it would get chaotic and more complex. But, I know absolutely nothing about coding. Still, is it so difficult to workaround? How often do you want to do splitting and stuff as you described?

orthodox
RE Developer

11 Mar 2020

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
11 Mar 2020
orthodox wrote:
11 Mar 2020

I understand. You say it would be easy to implement, but to me it seems like it would get chaotic and more complex. But, I know absolutely nothing about coding. Still, is it so difficult to workaround? How often do you want to do splitting and stuff as you described?
I do it all the time. When I need to do parallel or dry/wet processing, say, in an insert FX box of a Mix Channel, I cannot do that currently with non-zero latency FX devices. I can't use an A/B crossfader with them. Whenever I use a latency device, I have to create a dedicated Mix Channel for that, which seems a bit excessive. And if I split it to different (parallel) Mix Channels, I lose the ability to crossfade things, I can only move around the individual channel faders.

Faastwalker

11 Mar 2020

kitekrazy wrote:
11 Mar 2020
I was hoping for some kind of discount to put me over the edge like most developers do. Maybe I should have put that in the survey.
Same here. I think the upgrade has been on sale in the past but I may be wrong.

I suggested in the survey that I didn't think the upgrade was worth the price given that I had no use for Reason as a VST plug-in. It's just shy of $200 (AUS), so a fair amount for the other additions the upgrade to R11 offered. I'd imagine other Reason users, that have not upgraded to R11, would have similar ideas if they had no use for Reason as a plug-in.

Neo

11 Mar 2020

Appreciate their move with that survey myself. Maybe is shows they are listening? Time will only tell hey. Bring on 12!
Aussie dollar.. gotta love that exchange rate as-well.
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

kitekrazy

12 Mar 2020

Faastwalker wrote:
11 Mar 2020
kitekrazy wrote:
11 Mar 2020

I suggested in the survey that I didn't think the upgrade was worth the price given that I had no use for Reason as a VST plug-in. It's just shy of $200 (AUS), so a fair amount for the other additions the upgrade to R11 offered. I'd imagine other Reason users, that have not upgraded to R11, would have similar ideas if they had no use for Reason as a plug-in.
There was a Black Friday sale when Reason 10 was out. I got it for $80.

Faastwalker

12 Mar 2020

kitekrazy wrote:
12 Mar 2020
Faastwalker wrote:
11 Mar 2020

There was a Black Friday sale when Reason 10 was out. I got it for $80.
A sale on the Reason 11 upgrade price would probably convince me to buy it. It's a positive gesture towards existing users as well. This would be a moot point if I used Reason alongside another DAW that could host it. I probably would have snapped up the R11 upgrade in a heartbeat in that case. But with Reason being my main DAW the upgrade value is severely diminished for me.

• Information