Basic new computer question

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
motuscott

09 Mar 2020

General computing question here. Replacing ancient computer with new one. Usually I record actual instruments but use amp sims and virtual keys and all kinds of plug ins for processing. Pile up too many tracks or effects and comp chokes, requiring larger buffer size. Is this a matter of processor speed? Worth the extra cash to bump up to 2.4GHz from 1.4GHz?
Or is it the RAM? Planning on 8 gigs.
Thanks and I’ll take my answer off the air
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Mar 2020

motuscott wrote:
09 Mar 2020
General computing question here. Replacing ancient computer with new one. Usually I record actual instruments but use amp sims and virtual keys and all kinds of plug ins for processing. Pile up too many tracks or effects and comp chokes, requiring larger buffer size. Is this a matter of processor speed? Worth the extra cash to bump up to 2.4GHz from 1.4GHz?
Or is it the RAM? Planning on 8 gigs.
Thanks and I’ll take my answer off the air
I’d say both. Get the best processor you can afford. 8GB RAM works good for me :). I have lots of guitar tracks.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

guitfnky

09 Mar 2020

my understanding is that RAM will help more for sample-based instruments (i.e. not MIDI). so romplers or drum sample libraries like Addictive Drums, or orchestral libraries, for example. CPU will help more with actual processing power, such as using lots of effects or software synthesizers.

it sounds like CPU may be the more important thing for you to focus on. just make sure you don’t totally skimp on RAM. 8GB should be fine, but if you can afford it, I’d go with 16.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

pushedbutton

09 Mar 2020

Upgrading your CPU is generally harder than upgrading your RAM so do it as infrequently as possible.
RAM is getting cheaper, 16Gb is becoming the standard. I have 32Gb cos I like to mess with video editing but I can see a time where 8Gb won't cut it and that's probably not more than a few years away.
But yeah, get the best CPU you can afford because it's not as likely to be a viable option to swap it out a few years from now.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

zoidkirb

09 Mar 2020

1.4ghz to 2.4ghz is a substantial jump up!
8 gig ram is enough but 16 is better if you're at all loading any big sample banks. Anyway, you can start with 8 and easily add another 8 later.
Personally I went with the amd ryzen 3600 for a good 'bang for buck' mid price, mid performance cpu. This leaves me an option in a few years to swap out for a next gen and/or higher tiered cpu if I choose.
But so far it's handled everything I've realistically thrown at it. I say realistically because there's always limitations even for the best cpu in the world, and it's feasible to run a billion synths and fx at low latency and not hit a wall eventually.

motuscott

09 Mar 2020

Thanks folks. Definitely going 2.4
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

TheDragonborg

09 Mar 2020

pushedbutton wrote:
09 Mar 2020
Upgrading your CPU is generally harder than upgrading your RAM so do it as infrequently as possible.
RAM is getting cheaper, 16Gb is becoming the standard. I have 32Gb cos I like to mess with video editing but I can see a time where 8Gb won't cut it and that's probably not more than a few years away.
But yeah, get the best CPU you can afford because it's not as likely to be a viable option to swap it out a few years from now.
I also use 32GB of RAM since DDR4 is stupid cheap for some reason so I doubled my RAM from 16. I also have a 4.8GHz hex core i7 in which it's literally impossible to get the "this computer is too slow too play song" warning in Reason.

Oquasec

10 Mar 2020

Build a desktop or save up for a rog or razer.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

demt

10 Mar 2020

dont get won with a built in hardware the fans are way to noisy hmmm if you do get a case type think about adding watercooling ,god the racket these fans make .40 quid to fix
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

• Information