Man I hate naming songs

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
challism

06 Mar 2020

guitfnky wrote:
05 Mar 2020
points are subtracted when a great band insists on naming all their songs after the chorus or hook. especially if there are more interesting lyrics in the song that could have been used for the name. bonus points when a song has a cool name about the theme, but doesn’t use any of the lyrics.

I keep a separate list of song, topic, and lyric ideas that strike me as interesting, using the Notes app on my phone, and jot them in there as I go about my day. I imagine that might be even more useful if most of your music is instrumental, since you have to worry (a little bit) less about matching the vibe.

or you could just give everything people names like Frank, or Gertrude, or Samantha, or Bill, or... :lol:
Points not only subtracted, but divided by 2 when a band names a song after the name of the band. I hate it when a band does that. Sadly, even Black Sabbath has a song called Black Sabbath.

Interesting topic, and I totally agree with the OP. I don't like naming songs. Naming a song is terribly difficult more times than not. Good lyrics are also extremely difficult to write, more so, I would say. There's a connection there. I usually just call a song whatever word or phrase I can come up with in the seconds it takes to save the song for the first time. Some really random names, and if I can't come up with something, it becomes "Document1.reason"

Didn't Blur have a big hit called Song No. 2? And John Lennon's Dream #9. U2 has a song called 40. What other artists have songs that are just a number for the name? I'm sure Prince has one (1).
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

orthodox
RE Developer

06 Mar 2020

Read the track list at 3:22.

rgdaniel

06 Mar 2020

Nothing could be easier and more fun than naming an instrumental song. Because it just doesn't matter. Any random turn of phrase from current events, or pop culture, or just around the house is fair game. Sometimes if a certain instrument patch strikes me as having a funny name, I'll use that. It's the ultimate inside joke. I do wait to the end, though, in case something more appropriate to the final content presents itself (like some vocal samples I drop in late in the process).

guitfnky

06 Mar 2020

challism wrote:
06 Mar 2020
guitfnky wrote:
05 Mar 2020
points are subtracted when a great band insists on naming all their songs after the chorus or hook. especially if there are more interesting lyrics in the song that could have been used for the name. bonus points when a song has a cool name about the theme, but doesn’t use any of the lyrics.

I keep a separate list of song, topic, and lyric ideas that strike me as interesting, using the Notes app on my phone, and jot them in there as I go about my day. I imagine that might be even more useful if most of your music is instrumental, since you have to worry (a little bit) less about matching the vibe.

or you could just give everything people names like Frank, or Gertrude, or Samantha, or Bill, or... :lol:
Points not only subtracted, but divided by 2 when a band names a song after the name of the band. I hate it when a band does that. Sadly, even Black Sabbath has a song called Black Sabbath.

Interesting topic, and I totally agree with the OP. I don't like naming songs. Naming a song is terribly difficult more times than not. Good lyrics are also extremely difficult to write, more so, I would say. There's a connection there. I usually just call a song whatever word or phrase I can come up with in the seconds it takes to save the song for the first time. Some really random names, and if I can't come up with something, it becomes "Document1.reason"

Didn't Blur have a big hit called Song No. 2? And John Lennon's Dream #9. U2 has a song called 40. What other artists have songs that are just a number for the name? I'm sure Prince has one (1).
yep, and I recently saw an interview of Graham Coxon talking about that Blur song (which is an amazing tune on one of my top albums of all time)—I think he said they were purposefully trying to make that song just kind of trash that the label wouldn’t like, but it ended up being a huge hit. anyhoo, naming it Song 2 is right in line with their “meh, whatever” attitude for the whole song. :lol:
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

TheGodOfRainbows

07 Mar 2020

I'm kind of surprised that OP and others dislike naming their songs. It can be difficult yes, but for me, it is probably the MOST fun part of making song! lol I usually start with working titles that can either be totally random, or, that roughly indicate the mood and tempo, such as 'Energetic 134bpm E minor'.

By the time I'm finished with the song, if I still don't have a clear title in mind, then I open my notes app, just like guitfnky mentioned, and look for something that fits. I actually love coming up with weird random song titles throughout the day and logging them in the notes app. I will probably never use most of them, but I do amuse myself.

I also like to just brainstorm and write down every word I can think of to describe the mood of a particular song I'm working on, and by the time it's finished, I've got a pool of ideas to draw from.

guitfnky

07 Mar 2020

I love naming things. I tend to have bunches of really bizarre or flat-out stupid working titles. last year I started having issues with my computer and had to take it to a local place to have them figure out what was wrong with it. when I got it back I think I figured out why they’d been giving me weird looks when I came to pick it up—one of the working titles, “Goat Pen1$ Volume 3” was sitting right there on my desktop. I guess I earned those weird looks. :lol:
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

TheGodOfRainbows

07 Mar 2020

guitfnky wrote:
07 Mar 2020
“Goat Pen1$ Volume 3”
ROFL

• Information