Rack Improvement Requests

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.

What is important to you? 2 votes

Improved cabling interface
18%
Zooming in the rack
31%
Text input for values
31%
Customizing reset patch
5%
Bypass in VST window
5%
Default patch for native/VST plug-ins
3%
Pop-up editor for rack devices, á la VST window
2%
More outputs for VST device
7%

Total votes: 118

Boombastix
Competition Winner

26 Feb 2020

You forgot one of the most requested features, that includes a hughe amount of comments to RS on Facebook, Instagram, RT etc. It is:
VST midi out.

And besides Reason is the ONLY DAW, afaik, that does not have it...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

PhillipOrdonez

26 Feb 2020

How about not moving the entire device whenever I miss the knob by a few pixels? Uber annoying!

Re8et
Competition Winner

06 Mar 2020

How about (option to) disable that annoying tutorial window stealing real estate space on small monitors?
Or full window mode with keycommand to switch b/w rack/seq/mixer?

aeox
Competition Winner

06 Mar 2020

Re8et wrote:
06 Mar 2020
How about (option to) disable that annoying tutorial window stealing real estate space on small monitors?
Or full window mode with keycommand to switch b/w rack/seq/mixer?
There is a option to turn off that tutorial window in the options somewhere. Not home now but you'll find it.

Full window mode like f11 in browser? I'd use it! Probably a way to do this through the operating system.

Expl0rer

20 Sep 2020

marked "input" and "output" on the backside of various Plugins will be nice...i always need to search too long where i can put cables in....

deeplink
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2020

These are tough, there's so many little improvements that can be made but arent listed
1. Value indicators (and peak indicator) on mix channels
2. Zooming out the rack... ?
3. Improvement on visual feedback as to what device is selected (incl. what is in the device chain) and what is midi armed
4. Smoother and faster scrolling
5. Better device navigator.. - so you don't have to switch to the Mixer or Sequencer to find a device in the Rack
6. Bigger device collpase/expand button
7. Bigger/simpler effect bypass button
8. Sharper, clearer GUI and text
9. Option to set default VST window as "Stay Open"
10. Input Gain and Stereo Width knobs on mix channel
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

07 Oct 2020

Would anyone like to elaborate on what they're struggling with/would like to make easier with an improved cabling interface? Curious about this one!

Billy+

07 Oct 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
07 Oct 2020
Would anyone like to elaborate on what they're struggling with/would like to make easier with an improved cabling interface? Curious about this one!
Longer cables :lol:

I personally would like the devices to stay in place when moving other connected devices, if that makes sense

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

07 Oct 2020

Billy wrote:
07 Oct 2020
MattiasHG wrote:
07 Oct 2020

I personally would like the devices to stay in place when moving other connected devices, if that makes sense
Ah, I understand! That's possible now actually—there's a concept of "device groups" where we logically try to group devices so you can move them as one. You can turn this off in the options meny by unticking "Auto-group devices and tracks". It also has a shortcut, shift+cmd+g on Mac. Likely shift+ctrl+g on Windows but I don't have it in front of me :)

zoidkirb

07 Oct 2020

Hopefully this planned hd-update will help with the look of the cables themselves, because it gets ugly and hard to decipher eventually.

I would appreciate a method to set the speed the rack scrolls as you drag a cable to its destination.

Midi cables out of the Players would be nice.

Collapse individual Player devices would be amazing.

An optional, smarter auto cabling system could be hard to implement, but would be super useful for repetitive things like hooking up a device with 8 outputs to a device with 8 inputs.
I can imagine something like you hold down alt-ctrl as you run the first cable and then it could auto populate the remaining cables.

Currently you can alt-left click a rack device and it will close every rack device.
Cool feature. Could I request a similar feature where you alt-left click on the 'show devices' (in the combinator) button and the 'show programmer' button?

Cheers!

Billy+

07 Oct 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
07 Oct 2020
Billy wrote:
07 Oct 2020

Ah, I understand! That's possible now actually—there's a concept of "device groups" where we logically try to group devices so you can move them as one. You can turn this off in the options meny by unticking "Auto-group devices and tracks". It also has a shortcut, shift+cmd+g on Mac. Likely shift+ctrl+g on Windows but I don't have it in front of me :)
Excellent, is that a recent update or have I just not be paying attention.

guitfnky

07 Oct 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
07 Oct 2020
scaled scroll speed, dependent on how far you drag the cable relative to the edge of the window—so if I drag a cable/device to the left just a little bit, I scrolls slowly, but if I need to traverse multiple rack columns, I can drag all the way to the left of the window and it scrolls fast enough that I don’t feel like I can pick up my phone and check the weather with my free hand while waiting for it to get where I want. :lol:

in-rack search—sometimes I want to be able to find every instance of a particular plugin, or alternatively I know I have used one only once in a large session, but don’t remember where it is. I know it’s not cabling, specifically, but man would that be nice.

not sure what happened, but somewhere along the way, the hide cabling/reduce clutter setting stopped getting saved across sessions (or even within the same session)—every time I open Reason, I have to hit the K key to dim the cables I’m not using.

allow us to right click a cable and assign a custom color to it for easier visual tracking of our most important connections.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

esselfortium

07 Oct 2020

I'd like to be able to just double-click to start a 'cable drag', then navigate anywhere in the rack, using the navigator view, etc., without having to scroll (which is slow and clunky if you have a large project, and even moreso if you don't know exactly where you're going) and then double-click again to finish the cable drag once I've found where I want to put it. (And yeah, yeah, I know about the right-click menu, I use it a lot)
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

willy_dinglefinger

07 Oct 2020

esselfortium wrote:
07 Oct 2020
I'd like to be able to just double-click to start a 'cable drag', then navigate anywhere in the rack, using the navigator view, etc., without having to scroll (which is slow and clunky if you have a large project, and even moreso if you don't know exactly where you're going) and then double-click again to finish the cable drag once I've found where I want to put it. (And yeah, yeah, I know about the right-click menu, I use it a lot)
This is actually a terrific idea. Cabling in large projects always becomes a pain yet it never occurred to me that it could be drastically improved so simply.
Hypernormalise forum signatures :reason:

idliketoremainanon

04 Dec 2020

esselfortium wrote:
07 Oct 2020
I'd say improve scrolling also, scrolling is slow even on small projects

• Information