Toggle from solo / mute from a midi controller

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
sonicbyte

29 Sep 2016

Hi,

I have an Akai MPK 61 midi controller, and in my custom setup I have locked all my controller's faders, knobs and buttons to map the SSL mixer by customizing the Remote template and some tweaks on the Akai's editor. The buttons are mapped to mutes the tracks on the SSL, so I want to be able to press some other button or pad in my controller to toggle the same mute buttons I use and turned into "Solo" buttons like in the Panorama's controller, but I don't know how to script the Remote file to do that.

Have anyone tried some kind of functionality to share how it could be done? It's possible ?

Thanks !

HepCat

29 Sep 2016

Not sure l understand the problem. The SSL mixer already has SOLO buttons per track. Map them via Remote Override Edit on the Reason menu?

sonicbyte

29 Sep 2016

HepCat wrote:Not sure l understand the problem. The SSL mixer already has SOLO buttons per track. Map them via Remote Override Edit on the Reason menu?
The problem is I have all buttons mapped for mutes, I have 8 buttons...So I want to toggle functionality and use the same buttons for Solo. You can check what I mean on this panorama's controller video

HepCat

29 Sep 2016

sonicbyte wrote:
HepCat wrote:Not sure l understand the problem. The SSL mixer already has SOLO buttons per track. Map them via Remote Override Edit on the Reason menu?
The problem is I have all buttons mapped for mutes, I have 8 buttons...So I want to toggle functionality and use the same buttons for Solo. You can check what I mean on this panorama's controller video

Hi there, not sure if you need all controls available simultaneously, but one nice fix given your limited no. of buttons is:

Reason 6.5 ---> Options ---> Additional Remote Overrides ---> near the top of the list you'll see "Target Next Track" and "Target Previous Track". Further down the list you'll see other functions such as SOLO selected track, MUTE selected track etc. etc. Click on any of these and a window will appear. Then press your controller, and it will thus assign a control to this function (well, you clearly know how to assign controls but that was for anyone else reading).

If you mouse click on one track in the SSL mixer, you can use your MIDI controller to then select to MUTE / SOLO present track, then scroll to the next or previous track. Great way to conserve buttons.

Alternatively, get a cheap second controller? I'm quite pleased with the cheap Chinese "WORLDE EasyControl" controller (gotten via eBay). All but about 2 buttons can be mapped. Nice, small, cheap, but mind you have to pay import tax as well. Or just buy a top brand controller secondhand? Tbh, pound for pound, the WORLDE EasyControl seems better than even my Akai MIDI Mix (who knows what time will tell).

Beware about using cheap Behringer CMD DV1 controllers and similar Behringers - They really nice but they seem to be modelled on DJ software / Deckadance. The dials work baaaaaadly on DAWs (Reason, Ableton etc.). You'll be forced to assign them as buttons instead (nudge dial = button press). For the space they take up and the likely demands on your PSU, i'd just get a cheap Chinese controller, import tax permitting.

sonicbyte

29 Sep 2016

Thanks HepCat !

freehand

03 Mar 2020

sonicbyte - How did you assign the drum pads to track mutes in the SSL? I have an MPK49
and I want to control track mutes on the main mixer just like when using my MPC2K.

I have made my own custom Remote maps, and they work for my other instruments.

For the track mutes I have:

Scope: Propellerheads Reason Master Section

Pad D1 > Channel 1 Mute
Pad D2 > Channel 2 Mute

etc.

Am I missing something? You mentioned "other tweaks"?

• Information