90 Day Music Challenge

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Feb 2020

Do you spend too much time talking about upgrades, plugins, DAWs or where Reason Studios are heading? I know I am. That's why I've decided to make this thread.
So let's shift our focus for a while, from just talking about gear to actually putting our gear to good use. Let's make some music dammit.

90 Day Music Challenge rules:

1. Pick a date when you want to start your 90 Day Music Challenge. Make the date official here in the thread. Obviously that means you will automatically get a deadline to finish your challenge.

2. Be clear what your goal is with these 90 days. It could be to finish a specific number of tracks or to make an EP. Maybe you want to make a cohesive project with a particular theme. Or perhaps you want to explore a synth or plugin that's been waiting to get some attention. Whatever excites you.

3. Post your finished work in this thread. It's ok to post individual songs or work in progress material during the project as well. It's just fun if people are active in the thread.

Of course feel free to comment on peoples work. It doesn't matter if you've joined the 90 Day Music Challenge or not. Comments are always welcome.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Feb 2020

Ok, hopefully some people will find this thread useful and join in. Either way, I'll start.

1. My starting date was feb 23.

2. My goal is to finish 5 tunes in 90 days. It could be in whatever style of music. I already have a few musical ideas that I'd like to work with for this project, but most of the material will be newly written material.

aeox
Competition Winner

27 Feb 2020

Okay!

My goal is to finish this track I've been working on since Dec. 2019, in the next 90 days.

Does this count?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Feb 2020

aeox wrote:
27 Feb 2020
Okay!

My goal is to finish this track I've been working on since Dec. 2019, in the next 90 days.

Does this count?
Sure. You can set whatever goal you want.
Glad you joined :)

TheDragonborg

27 Feb 2020

Not really a challenge for me as I can complete an entire album in 3 weeks...

MannequinRaces

27 Feb 2020

TheDragonborg wrote:
27 Feb 2020
(claps slowly)

TheDragonborg

27 Feb 2020

MannequinRaces wrote:
27 Feb 2020
TheDragonborg wrote:
27 Feb 2020
(claps slowly)
Well I did start producing 13 years ago this year...

Oh I know... make 4 albums in 90 days! lol

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Feb 2020

TheDragonborg wrote:
27 Feb 2020
MannequinRaces wrote:
27 Feb 2020

(claps slowly)

Well maybe you've mastered your own style of music and you're able to spit out bangers really fast. That's cool. But I'm sure you can come up with some type of challenge for yourself if you want to. You know like go outside your comfort zone a bit. If you're normally producing electronic music, then pick up a new instrument and try to incorporate that somehow. Make a project where you use new scales or chords you've never tried before. Collaborate with someone who thinks differently about music. Hell you could even try to invent a new genre. I mean the possibilities are endless. What I'm trying to say is that the challenge doesn't have to be focused around the number of tracks you're able to make. It's gonna look different for everyone.
So take a minute and think about a challenge that excites YOU. And then please join us. You're more than welcome here. :)

MannequinRaces

28 Feb 2020

TheDragonborg wrote:
27 Feb 2020
MannequinRaces wrote:
27 Feb 2020

(claps slowly)

I had a listen to your music. I don't know much about the genre but cool stuff! TritoneAddiction is right instead of going for quantity maybe try a different genre or using new instruments / effects. I'd love to hear what you come up with.

aeox
Competition Winner

28 Feb 2020

TheDragonborg wrote:
27 Feb 2020
I use to shit out a song a day in 2017-18; So I've moved past seeing that as a challenge for myself as well.

That's why I'm focusing on quality over quantity.

Maybe a good challenge for you would be to get one of your tracks released on a reputable label. Your music sounds like it has potential! Personally, the edm.com label "Arist Intelligence Agency" was a milestone for me (https://soundcloud.com/edm). Now I'm trying to get an EP released on mau5trap or Gravitas recordings.

AIA is a good place to start! Send them some of your tunes and see what say.

EdwardKiy

28 Feb 2020

TheDragonborg wrote:
27 Feb 2020
Ahahaha, I was almost sure from your attitude that your stuff was utter garbage, but I had to check. Boy was I surprised! :)))

I don't give praise lightly, but this was thoroughly impressive! I'm light years away.

I'm starting the challenge 2/28/20. Goal: 2 professional sounding tracks - 1 electronic and 1 vocal-instrumental (pop/rock/indie or whatever)

Peace

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

28 Feb 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
28 Feb 2020
I'm starting the challenge 2/28/20. Goal: 2 professional sounding tracks - 1 electronic and 1 vocal-instrumental (pop/rock/indie or whatever)

Peace
Great! Welcome :)

TheDragonborg

28 Feb 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
28 Feb 2020
TheDragonborg wrote:
27 Feb 2020
Ahahaha, I was almost sure from your attitude that your stuff was utter garbage, but I had to check. Boy was I surprised! :)))

I don't give praise lightly, but this was thoroughly impressive! I'm light years away.

Peace
Well I started producing about 13 years ago in 2007...

You have to make a lot of garbage if you want to get good... lol

It takes more than talent to make good sounding tracks... like if you ever heard demos of some famous acts early tracks compared to their released 'debut' album or singles it's kind of insane, they had the talent for composing (this can be debatable, but I mean not manufactured acts) or at least good at playing (usually) but not have the mixing experience, many never need to learn how to mix. They always have someone to do it for them. Us as indie artists or bands have to do everything ourselves. Learning to mix can get in the way of composing, but once you do learn to mix it kind of just falls together and you can get to the point when you could start and finish a great sounding track in a matter of hours.

Anyway, thanks for the complement!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

28 Feb 2020

TheDragonborg wrote:
28 Feb 2020
EdwardKiy wrote:
28 Feb 2020

Peace

It takes more than talent to make good sounding tracks... like if you ever heard demos of some famous acts early tracks compared to their released 'debut' album or singles it's kind of insane, they had the talent for composing (this can be debatable, but I mean not manufactured acts) or at least good at playing (usually) but not have the mixing experience, many never need to learn how to mix. They always have someone to do it for them. Us as indie artists or bands have to do everything ourselves. Learning to mix can get in the way of composing, but once you do learn to mix it kind of just falls together and you can get to the point when you could start and finish a great sounding track in a matter of hours.

So now that we've all acknowledged you can make great music, what's YOUR 90 day challenge? :D

TheDragonborg

28 Feb 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
28 Feb 2020
TheDragonborg wrote:
28 Feb 2020

So now that we've all acknowledged you can make great music, what's YOUR 90 day challenge? :D
Hmm... maybe actually get the pile of tracks I'm sitting on uploaded to Bandcamp (multiple albums worth of material just sitting on my hard drives).

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

28 Feb 2020

TheDragonborg wrote:
28 Feb 2020
TritoneAddiction wrote:
28 Feb 2020

Hmm... maybe actually get the pile of tracks I'm sitting on uploaded to Bandcamp (multiple albums worth of material just sitting on my hard drives).
Let's go with that :thumbs_up: Then you can post links to your new material here in the thread when it's done.
Starting day today? Feb 29?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

01 Mar 2020

I've been working on a track here for my challenge. As the title says I might still make some tweaks later on. But other than that I consider the track pretty much finished. Of course I need to figure out a name.

Ixus

02 Mar 2020

Badass tune dude. Very boss music-y

I think I wanna join the challenge, but I need to figure out a suitable goal, I usually set up too big a goal for myself only to lose inspiration a few tracks in.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

03 Mar 2020

Ixus wrote:
02 Mar 2020
Badass tune dude. Very boss music-y

I think I wanna join the challenge, but I need to figure out a suitable goal, I usually set up too big a goal for myself only to lose inspiration a few tracks in.
Thanks. :)

I think the 90 days is pretty good chunk of time, not too much, not too little.
Let us know when you've figured out what your challenge will look like.

Ixus

07 Mar 2020

Ok I have it now...

The Digitakt EP Challenge!

Rules:

-3 songs
-Using only Digitakt for building the songs
-Sampling from Reason and post effects/mastering allowed though!
-Electronic house-ish genre
-Start 8 march

I've been quite enjoying this little machine I got recently and I've never really made any house/similair type music. So the challenge will be using it and also trying on a genre im not used to.
I have made a song already with it before taking on the challenge but it fits perfectly for what i want to do So i'll include it, I mayyyy add a 4th song down the line if im on fire but i'll keep it at 3 for now :) !

Heres the first one

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

08 Mar 2020

Ixus wrote:
07 Mar 2020
Ok I have it now...

The Digitakt EP Challenge!

Rules:

-3 songs
-Using only Digitakt for building the songs
-Sampling from Reason and post effects/mastering allowed though!
-Electronic house-ish genre
-Start 8 march

I've been quite enjoying this little machine I got recently and I've never really made any house/similair type music. So the challenge will be using it and also trying on a genre im not used to.
I have made a song already with it before taking on the challenge but it fits perfectly for what i want to do So i'll include it, I mayyyy add a 4th song down the line if im on fire but i'll keep it at 3 for now :) !

Heres the first one

Welcome aboard. :)

Nice tune. :thumbs_up:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

08 Mar 2020

Song number 2 done. There might be changes/tweaks later on.
Only 3 more tracks to go.

Ixus

09 Mar 2020

Ha, I love it, very metal. I dig the bass synth wobble wobble part at the breakdown ish part.

I finished track 2 aswell! I started to get stuck with the fiddling when the track was basically done, I slept on it and decided its complete.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

14 Mar 2020

Ixus wrote:
09 Mar 2020
Ha, I love it, very metal. I dig the bass synth wobble wobble part at the breakdown ish part.

I finished track 2 aswell! I started to get stuck with the fiddling when the track was basically done, I slept on it and decided its complete.

Nice groove. :thumbs_up:

Jagwah

15 Mar 2020

Make a song in 90 years I think I could get down with this... oh wait a minute :o

Cool idea Tritone!!

• Information