Extreme Dynamics RE update 1.2.1 is in the Shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
orthodox
RE Developer

25 Feb 2020

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -dynamics/

The 1.1.1 update adds adjustable saturation effect!

The saturation effect amount is proportional to the total current gain value, which is shown by the Gain Meter. When the gain is zero, there will be no saturation. The farther the gain is from zero, the more harmonic distortion will be introduced. The gain normally adds up from that generated by the compressor and the makeup and output gain values, but it can be provided externally on the Gain Audio Input or Gain CV input sockets. You can also turn off the compressor completely by setting A/B modes to None and just set the Output Gain knob to a nonzero value to get a constant saturation effect.

The saturation Drive knob controls the amount of saturation, the Bias knob alters the character of the effect. When the Drive knob is at zero, the compressor is compatible with the earlier versions.

The 1.2.1 update adds up to 8x oversampling and filtering out the ultrasonic content. It can help suppress aliasing and intermodulation. It can be active even when the compressor is off, for ring modulation of the input signal with any other external signal connected to Gain In sockets.
Also changed the style of signal monitor on the scope display.
Last edited by orthodox on 25 May 2022, edited 2 times in total.

orthodox
RE Developer

25 Feb 2020

Questions anyone?

aeox
Competition Winner

25 Feb 2020

Damn this thing is a beast.

orthodox
RE Developer

28 Feb 2020

Could anybody please share some thoughts on this device? Regarding its value, usefulness, demand for, or lack thereof. I made it from my own notion of what type of compressor I would like to have. It would be interesting to hear what you think of it. I'd appreciate any feedback from you.
Don't hesitate.

aeox
Competition Winner

28 Feb 2020

orthodox wrote:
28 Feb 2020
Could anybody please share some thoughts on this device? Regarding its value, usefulness, demand for, or lack thereof. I made it from my own notion of what type of compressor I would like to have. It would be interesting to hear what you think of it. I'd appreciate any feedback from you.
Don't hesitate.
On this thread or via private message?

orthodox
RE Developer

28 Feb 2020

aeox wrote:
28 Feb 2020
orthodox wrote:
28 Feb 2020
Don't hesitate.
On this thread or via private message?
In public, of course. Me, I have nothing to hide.

aeox
Competition Winner

28 Feb 2020

orthodox wrote:
28 Feb 2020
Don't hesitate.
Usefulness: Extremely useful. It's different enough from similar devices in the shop to warrant having it along side them. Doesn't have band split or 4 processors like DYN-4, but has more controls and comp/exp settings.

Value: You'd be surprised how much the GUI design/layout would increase the value. IMO, the scope display doesn't add much to the device. Maybe I'm missing the point of it, since you did make this device for own needs. A couple meters like you have for the input/output would be better to me. Overall, I think the device would benefit from a more "intuitive" layout. The textures look dated and there is no contrast between the knobs and the background. With a better GUI, the price you are asking is more justified (as stupid as this might seem)

Can't comment on demand, but fixing the GUI would entice many more people to even try the device in my opinion.

Hope that's not too harsh, I don't mean it to be. Just my thoughts.

Bes
Competition Winner

28 Feb 2020

i trialed it when it first was released and thought it was a functionally great tool that sounded a bit too gritty for my liking (i am assuming if i had used it for longer i would have gotten to know how to tame that better) and i probably don't need it for the stuff i am making. also, good tools that are properly priced tend to be too much for me to just casually pick up as was the case with this device
- Certified Reason expert

orthodox
RE Developer

28 Feb 2020

aeox wrote:
28 Feb 2020
orthodox wrote:
28 Feb 2020
Don't hesitate.
Usefulness: Extremely useful. It's different enough from similar devices in the shop to warrant having it along side them. Doesn't have band split or 4 processors like DYN-4, but has more controls and comp/exp settings.

Value: You'd be surprised how much the GUI design/layout would increase the value. IMO, the scope display doesn't add much to the device. Maybe I'm missing the point of it, since you did make this device for own needs. A couple meters like you have for the input/output would be better to me. Overall, I think the device would benefit from a more "intuitive" layout. The textures look dated and there is no contrast between the knobs and the background. With a better GUI, the price you are asking is more justified (as stupid as this might seem)

Can't comment on demand, but fixing the GUI would entice many more people to even try the device in my opinion.

Hope that's not too harsh, I don't mean it to be. Just my thoughts.
The GUI point is reasonable, I really suck at that.

The scope display was meant primarily for showing the transfer function, the thing that I miss in many other compressors where I can't see what the black box is going to do to my audio. I'm still planning to improve the way it shows the live signal. Maybe add a Fabfilter/Isotope style running history mode.

orthodox
RE Developer

28 Feb 2020

Can't promise anything about the GUI.

Here's what I plan to do next:
1. Change the style the signal is drawn in the scope display. Those trails have no sense, only the peaks matter.
2. Add a display mode to show running level history on the timeline the way Fabfilter and Izotope do that.
3. Add 2-4-8x oversampling mode, that's pretty simple.

Now I started two new utility RE projects, which I'd like to bring to release in a month or so. Then I will attend to updating the compressor.

Bes
Competition Winner

28 Feb 2020

always exciting to hear about new RE's in development :) i'm available incase you ever need a beta tester
- Certified Reason expert

orthodox
RE Developer

29 Feb 2020

Bes wrote:
28 Feb 2020
always exciting to hear about new RE's in development :) i'm available incase you ever need a beta tester
Not sure there will be a beta test this time, an alpha presentation maybe. Everybody is welcome.

stp2015

01 Mar 2020

I would like to chime in with a very specific suggestion regarding the GUI. First, I would like to second the point that a nice GUI makes a BIG difference. Second, you should contact Buddard (Robotic Bean) so that he can put you in touch with his GUI person. Earlier Robotic Bean devices were not the prettiest, but the new designer is doing an amazing job. Both of his players look gorgeous and I am sure this has an effect on sales.

orthodox
RE Developer

01 Mar 2020

Is it really that bad? :cry:

I wanted it to be dark. I can easily invert the colors but the knobs and make it shiny brushed metal, that's an infallible style.
The display, well, not much can be done about that. The available font set is too restricted.

stp2015

01 Mar 2020

I am not trying to shoot you down or anything.. And also, this is just my opinion. I think the device is cool and a great addition to the rack, so it deserves a look that is equally as cool :)

diminished
Competition Winner

01 Mar 2020

First thing I'd get rid of is the background texture (matte gaffa tape?) and choose a different font for Extreme Dynamics.
And maybe that's just me, but I'll never ever pay that much for a compressor. It doesn't matter how good it is or what it can do differently.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

orthodox
RE Developer

01 Mar 2020

diminished wrote:
01 Mar 2020
First thing I'd get rid of is the background texture (matte gaffa tape?) and choose a different font for Extreme Dynamics.
Yes, that indeed was gaffa tape :) It just lost details due to resolution downgrade. I'll replace it when I get my hands on some decent material or move the production to China, they make a good plastic there. I mean, I deferred it for the moment till the next update.
Font, hmmm, not sure yet.

EdwardKiy

02 Mar 2020

Apologies in advance if my questions are dumb - I'm a newb.

I like the fact that the proprietary m-class maximizer's effect is or can be very subtle, but what's beginning to annoy me is that even on a big screen I have to squint to see the graphical representation of the dynamics - it's simply too small and also on a scale that is too large for it most of the time.

So, 2 questions:

1. Could I use this device for same functionality as the m-class maximizer, (if I leave the "bias" knob at zero value?)?

2. If so, wouldn't adding a second scale right next to your 120/-120 one, but with a close up of the 0 to -20 range, take over pretty much all the functionality of something like the Ozone maximizer (its noise shaping options being relatively similar to your "bias" knob?), while being that much more? Or even have both the scales swapped to the middle of the device instead of your current middle graph (but that's probably because I don't understand what its there for) and have them as tall and wide as possible.

Personally, I don't care that much about the GUI, only the functionality. But that said, easy visibility of the dynamics on a compressor/maximizer is part of the functionality, no? Like the Ozone maximizer to me has similar value as the m-class, but it's that much clearer on what's going on in the dynamics graphically. That's 2.5 question :)

Apologies again if I got it all backwards.

orthodox
RE Developer

02 Mar 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
02 Mar 2020
Apologies in advance if my questions are dumb - I'm a newb.

I like the fact that the proprietary m-class maximizer's effect is or can be very subtle, but what's beginning to annoy me is that even on a big screen I have to squint to see the graphical representation of the dynamics - it's simply too small and also on a scale that is too large for it most of the time.

So, 2 questions:

1. Could I use this device for same functionality as the m-class maximizer, (if I leave the "bias" knob at zero value?)?

2. If so, wouldn't adding a second scale right next to your 120/-120 one, but with a close up of the 0 to -20 range, take over pretty much all the functionality of something like the Ozone maximizer (its noise shaping options being relatively similar to your "bias" knob?), while being that much more? Or even have both the scales swapped to the middle of the device instead of your current middle graph (but that's probably because I don't understand what its there for) and have them as tall and wide as possible.

Personally, I don't care that much about the GUI, only the functionality. But that said, easy visibility of the dynamics on a compressor/maximizer is part of the functionality, no? Like the Ozone maximizer to me has similar value as the m-class, but it's that much clearer on what's going on in the dynamics graphically. That's 2.5 question :)

Apologies again if I got it all backwards.
1. It can *EXACTLY* emulate MClass Compressor. its COMP-I 'Above' mode is equivalent to MClass SoftKnee=Off (and COMP-01 Compressor/Limiter half-rack effect), and the COMP-III 'Above' mode is the same as that used in MClass SoftKnee=On, the Mix Channel and MasterBus compressors. Btw, not 'Bias' should be zero, but 'Drive', to turn off explicit distortions.

2. The Ozone maximizer has a number of adaptive limiter modes, which I don't implement; a maximizer serves for slightly different purposes than a compressor. The +120/-120 dB range is for showing big gain values it generates in "upward compression" modes, which are enabled by the 'Below' switch. It can amplify the background noise by 120dB in drop-offs and pauses, that effect is used in some styles of music, or to implement levelers. The upward compression is described here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compresso ... sor)#Types, there are also graphs there, just those I try to draw on the central display, that's what it was primarily meant for, to show the function resulting from the parameters selected. The live signal can also be drawn there, but I'm not happy about how it's done for now, so that will change. The meter display on the right can show 3 things: the current gain (the same as "gain reduction" meters on other compressors), the input signal relative to the threshold (in order to watch what part of it is exceeding the threshold level), and the regular output level meter.

2.5. I'm going to add the same mode as in the Ozone Maximizer at the top of the window, showing gain level history on the central display. That's indeed a useful feature.

Hope I cleared things up a little. Any questions are welcome.

EdwardKiy

02 Mar 2020

orthodox wrote:
02 Mar 2020
You did, thanks a lot! I did mean m-class compressor.

I realize that your device is meant to be much more, but at this point I'd subscribe for it just to replace the M-class comp with pretty much the same thing, but which doesn't make my eyes pop. I'd like the graph (or meter or w/e) to be almost grotesquely HUGE and IN-YOUR-FACE, as soon as I load it up, because to me that's the whole point of the device - to compress and let you SEE, rather than hear what's going on.

I might have given Ozone a try, but they don't have a subscription option. If you will - I'll take it for a spin. I've decided to get the subscription after learning a bunch more and there's still space in my subscription basket . No rush.

Just to give you a visual of what I'd be looking for
m-class.JPG
m-class.JPG (50.64 KiB) Viewed 6825 times
Ozone.JPG
Ozone.JPG (150.06 KiB) Viewed 6825 times

Loque

02 Mar 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
02 Mar 2020
orthodox wrote:
02 Mar 2020
You did, thanks a lot! I did mean m-class compressor.

I realize that your device is meant to be much more, but at this point I'd subscribe for it just to replace the M-class comp with pretty much the same thing, but which doesn't make my eyes pop. I'd like the graph (or meter or w/e) to be almost grotesquely HUGE and IN-YOUR-FACE, as soon as I load it up, because to me that's the whole point of the device - to compress and let you SEE, rather than hear what's going on.

I might have given Ozone a try, but they don't have a subscription option. If you will - I'll take it for a spin. I've decided to get the subscription after learning a bunch more and there's still space in my subscription basket . No rush.

Just to give you a visual of what I'd be looking for
m-class.JPGOzone.JPG
You can currently buy Ozone for 8 bucks as a VST which has most stuff you need.
Reason12, Win10

orthodox
RE Developer

02 Mar 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
02 Mar 2020

Honestly, I couldn't yet figure it out how I would enable subscription. I'll look into it.

The Ozone thing is meant to be the last device on the master chain, hence that section of options on the right dedicated to final dithering, noise shaping and bit depth selection. I have never seen the RE by the way, I was talking about the VST Ozone/RX Maximizer module, which looks totally different. Did you take it as an example just to show the meter? Because compressors and maximizers are not interchangeable, you can't really compress with a maximizer or limit with a compressor.

EdwardKiy

02 Mar 2020

Loque wrote:
02 Mar 2020

You can currently buy Ozone for 8 bucks as a VST which has most stuff you need.
Thank you, Loque, but my hardware is a bit dated and I must prioritize. I'm reserving the juice for a few select vst instruments. I will consider updating the hardware when I feel I've truly outgrown its use. It's an age thing, I guess.

EdwardKiy

02 Mar 2020

orthodox wrote:
02 Mar 2020

The Ozone thing is meant to be the last device on the master chain, hence that section of options on the right dedicated to final dithering, noise shaping and bit depth selection.
I know what it does, but seeing as pretty much everyone on this forum either masters outside reason or re-imports the track as audio file for a final master, it seems redundant. You choose bit depth/dithering @ reason export. But what do I know?
orthodox wrote:
02 Mar 2020

Did you take it as an example just to show the meter? Because compressors and maximizers are not interchangeable, you can't really compress with a maximizer or limit with a compressor.
Yes, just the visual. The big-ass meter.

orthodox
RE Developer

07 Apr 2020

Update 1.2.1 is out!

It adds up to 8x oversampling and ultrasonic content filtering as described in that video, which inspired me to add it.

• Information