Downsampling VST instruments, advice please

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Jackjackdaw

25 Feb 2020

have been sampling VST synths into Halion 6. I was finding that sampling at 16bit I was losing a really noticeable amount of high end and the reproduced sounds were very dull sounding compared to the originals. If I sampled at 32bit float the sound was much more accurate. But 32bit multi sampled instruments will be gigantic! Anyone have any tips on sampling down to 16bit without losing quality?

Boombastix
Competition Winner

26 Feb 2020

The bit mainly affect the noise floor, the kHz affect top end frequency. It is a standard to do 24-bit 48kHz for sample libraries, but 16-bit 44.1kHz is fine too. There is pretty much nothing above 15kHz that you need to hear, it is super high already and 44.1 is already 3x that so it will be captured. Something else is going on then.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Jackjackdaw

26 Feb 2020

Yeah, I'm aware that 16bit should be fine, I've listened to plenty of cds! :-) but in this sampling conversion the sound is getting crushed. I don't know enough about how it's converted to remedy it. I've had a similar problem exporting songs from Reason at 16bit , flat sound. There was a thread about it on here a while ago.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

26 Feb 2020

My guess is that something happens that is not related to the bits and bytes. If you describe exactly how you sample etc, maybe somebody can chime in and suggest where the issue occur.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

• Information