Reason 11.2 is here!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jam-s

22 Feb 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Reason Studios becomes Reason Studs, and then maybe we release a built-in swimsuit calendar or something. :cool:
Works for me. ... (on April's fools day.)

pquenin

23 Feb 2020

Hello, I'm a Reason 11 Intro user, so no Beatmap player for me, but I'm very happy to have the new Midi Out device, and the midi improvments in the RRP.
I have bought recently a Yamaha keyboard and it's more comfortable now to control it from Reason.
I was hoping for little goodies in Reason Standalone such as "quantize midi note end" that is still not there (and we are in 2020 now).
Hope it will be there soon, but I wonder because it seems that all the guys at Reason Studios now use Ableton Live as their main DAW.
But it's a nice update, thanks Reason Studios.

hurricane
Competition Winner

23 Feb 2020

Nielsen wrote:
22 Feb 2020
I'm having an issue in Logic where AU VST instruments become disconnected when I reopen projects with Reason player devices enabled in the MIDI FX slot on said VST channels.

For example:

- Load VST e.g. Roland JV-1080
- Load Reason Rack player device in MIDI FX slot
- Save and close project
- Reopen project
- No signal from the VST instrument

I'm not that experienced in Logic, but is there a way to "reconnect" a VST that sends no output signal? Replacing the VST with a new instance works, but not a useful solution as this also resets the loaded VST patch.
I can confirm this is happening. I created 3 instrument tracks with reason players, saved the project, re-opened, and none of them were making sound. On a hunch, I turned dynamic plugin loading off, saved, and re-opened, and then ONE of my instrument tracks came back to life. The others were still not being triggered. So there might be something there...
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

visheshl

23 Feb 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
21 Feb 2020
KrazyKat wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Note to track inside rack for certain devices, but not for players?
It's all I wanted. Thought this update was it.

Heartbroken
It's a bit more complex than that. Players are designed to be stacked and listen to MIDI input. Let's take Dual Arpeggio as an example, you couldn't drag MIDI from it because it's dependent on what MIDI's coming in to it. That's how the entire format is designed and in Reason "Send to track" actually renders this it in sped-up real time and puts it on the track. When another host's involved, we can't really control the sequencer playback so it wouldn't work.

Appreciate the feedback though. There could be some cleverly designed solutions to this, we have some ideas, but it's not as straightforward as in Dr OctoRex, Matrix and Redrum so it didn't make it this time. You can of course record the output of players to track anyway with MIDI Out.
But at least you can implement midi drag drop on players which don't depend on midi in ? Like drum sequencer, or some other pattern sequencers ?

dmcghee

24 Feb 2020

Anyone here using Reason 11.2 with MPC Software? I haven't been able to send midi out to any of my other VST instruments.

EnochLight

24 Feb 2020

dmcghee wrote:
24 Feb 2020
Anyone here using Reason 11.2 with MPC Software? I haven't been able to send midi out to any of my other VST instruments.
I have used my MPC Live and the MPC Software running in Reason standalone. The new MIDI Out device only works in another DAW to send MIDI to other VST. In standalone it works the same as the External MIDI Instrument did (as that’s what it replaced).

What are you trying to accomplish?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Nielsen

24 Feb 2020

hurricane wrote:
23 Feb 2020
Nielsen wrote:
22 Feb 2020
I'm having an issue in Logic where AU VST instruments become disconnected when I reopen projects with Reason player devices enabled in the MIDI FX slot on said VST channels.

For example:

- Load VST e.g. Roland JV-1080
- Load Reason Rack player device in MIDI FX slot
- Save and close project
- Reopen project
- No signal from the VST instrument

I'm not that experienced in Logic, but is there a way to "reconnect" a VST that sends no output signal? Replacing the VST with a new instance works, but not a useful solution as this also resets the loaded VST patch.
I can confirm this is happening. I created 3 instrument tracks with reason players, saved the project, re-opened, and none of them were making sound. On a hunch, I turned dynamic plugin loading off, saved, and re-opened, and then ONE of my instrument tracks came back to life. The others were still not being triggered. So there might be something there...
:thumbs_up:

danc

24 Feb 2020

Not sure if this has been addressed already... but... I have tried for a few hours now and cannot get MIDI CC to output from Reason Rack VST into my host DAW Studio one. I can get MIDI notes to comes out... just not any MIDI CC (including pitch-bend and mod wheel).

In the Reason Rack I have created an LFO and sent the CV to an instance of the MIDI OUT RE CV 1. Whatever I've tried I cannot see the MIDI CC coming into S1.

Am I alone? I have seen on KVR a discussion about this and it seems to be a problem for many: https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 7&t=540109

Does it work/not-work in other DAWs?
Check my Soundcloud:

chimp_spanner

24 Feb 2020

danc wrote:
24 Feb 2020
Not sure if this has been addressed already... but... I have tried for a few hours now and cannot get MIDI CC to output from Reason Rack VST into my host DAW Studio one. I can get MIDI notes to comes out... just not any MIDI CC (including pitch-bend and mod wheel).

In the Reason Rack I have created an LFO and sent the CV to an instance of the MIDI OUT RE CV 1. Whatever I've tried I cannot see the MIDI CC coming into S1.

Am I alone? I have seen on KVR a discussion about this and it seems to be a problem for many: https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 7&t=540109

Are you on PC or Mac? If you're on Mac use the AU and it will work. Otherwise it's a host issue. VST3 doesn't support MIDI CC the way VST2 does. It's up to the host to implement CC to automation translation. It works in Cubase as a VST, as Steinberg added this 'legacy' feature to allow CC/automation conversion. We all need to open tickets with Presonus (and Ableton and any other DAWs not currently allowing CC out of VST3s) and get them to update their software!

chimp_spanner

24 Feb 2020

I found this thread on KVR a few days ago. Seems to sum up the issue, assuming I'm reading it right!

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=538083

danc

24 Feb 2020

chimp_spanner wrote:
24 Feb 2020
danc wrote:
24 Feb 2020

Are you on PC or Mac? If you're on Mac use the AU and it will work. Otherwise it's a host issue. VST3 doesn't support MIDI CC the way VST2 does. It's up to the host to implement CC to automation translation. It works in Cubase as a VST, as Steinberg added this 'legacy' feature to allow CC/automation conversion. We all need to open tickets with Presonus (and Ableton and any other DAWs not currently allowing CC out of VST3s) and get them to update their software!
Thanks for the heads-up. I'm on PC. I will open a ticket with Presonus.

Earlier today i sent a support ticket to Reason Studios regarding this problem. Although it might not be their problem directly, their website and documentation should report that this feature doesn't work in all DAWs and if they are going to be super helpful... list the ones they know that work/dont-work. Otherwise... some people may take it as false advertising.

It's funny - because some years ago I created a ticket to Propellerhead saying that Mastering the Mix and Cherry Audio VSTs didn't work in Reason. They kindly responded telling me that it was not their problem and that I should send a support ticket to Mastering the Mix and Cherry Audio - which I did. They both responded (same day - rather a week later from Propellerhead) telling me that it was Propellerhead's problem. Anyway... around and around it went. Then in Reason 11.2 (years later) I see that a fix has been made to Reason, which now allows Mastering The Mix and Cherry Audio VSTs to work. We now know who's problem it was!
Check my Soundcloud:

chimp_spanner

24 Feb 2020

danc wrote:
24 Feb 2020
chimp_spanner wrote:
24 Feb 2020

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm on PC. I will open a ticket with Presonus.

Earlier today i sent a support ticket to Reason Studios regarding this problem. Although it might not be their problem directly, their website and documentation should report that this feature doesn't work in all DAWs and if they are going to be super helpful... list the ones they know that work/dont-work. Otherwise... some people may take it as false advertising.

It's funny - because some years ago I created a ticket to Propellerhead saying that Mastering the Mix and Cherry Audio VSTs didn't work in Reason. They kindly responded telling me that it was not their problem and that I should send a support ticket to Mastering the Mix and Cherry Audio - which I did. They both responded (same day - rather a week later from Propellerhead) telling me that it was Propellerhead's problem. Anyway... around and around it went. Then in Reason 11.2 (years later) I see that a fix has been made to Reason, which now allows Mastering The Mix and Cherry Audio VSTs to work. We now know who's problem it was!
Ah yeah I actually don't know what the score was with that. I bought Voltage, and had to return it due to this issue (which they were very helpful with!). The problem went away for me as soon as I switched to Mac, and so I re-bought it in the Nucleus sale/offer, plus a couple of bundles. But yeah super happy PC users get to enjoy it too.

daisky

24 Feb 2020

joeyluck wrote:
21 Feb 2020
guitfnky wrote:
21 Feb 2020

that’s what I was thinking too. I hope they don’t do that, or at least retain the option of owning versions outright. I like owning the software I use—it makes me feel more invested when I can’t just turn my ability to use it on and off on a whim.
Well I think that's exactly what you can do with subscriptions—turn them on and off on a whim. For instance, someone currently on a previous version that has taken a break who wants to be up to speed with all the new features needs to pay to upgrade (albeit the most affordable and least complicated upgrade path out there). But with a subscription, you could pay a small single monthly fee and be using all the new features. Take a week or two months off, come back and pay for another month. I think the attractiveness in any subscription model comes down to the pricing and annual vs monthly costs.

For instance, Adobe Audition for $20.99/month (annual plan, paid monthly) totals at $250/year...The prepaid annual plan only saves you about $10 on that.... And then the true monthly plan (cancel anytime) is $31.49/month, which for many is simply too much per month. I think if Reason were $10 or $15 a month, many people would find that very attractive.
I know this was not your intention, but it's almost as if you are making a case for why this will be a terrible idea :) Instead of owning the product and upgrading whenever you want for $129, you can spend $120 every year and own nothing. Great idea! :roll:

I have already stopped using R10 until the resolution issues are fixed, but something like this will simply be the end of it for me.

Creativemind

24 Feb 2020

I get the feeling they don't intend to enhance the browser. If they were going to, they would've added things to it (I have 6 things here but 1 wouldn't affect the RRP) before releasing the RRP wouldn't they as they wouldn't match else?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

QVprod

24 Feb 2020

Creativemind wrote:
24 Feb 2020
I get the feeling they don't intend to enhance the browser. If they were going to, they would've added things to it (I have 6 things here but 1 wouldn't affect the RRP) before releasing the RRP wouldn't they as they wouldn't match else?
Seeing as the browser is the same on both, why would one affect the other. If there’s an update, they both get updated no?

Creativemind

24 Feb 2020

QVprod wrote:
24 Feb 2020
Creativemind wrote:
24 Feb 2020
Seeing as the browser is the same on both, why would one affect the other. If there’s an update, they both get ucpdated no?
Yeah that's what I mean, sure they could do that but why would they not do that before releasing the RRP as to have it at it's absolute best to showcase the RRP to non familiar Reason users? not to mention they haven't updated it since Reason 8 in 2016 so they obviously think it's finished.

guitfnky

24 Feb 2020

Creativemind wrote:
24 Feb 2020
QVprod wrote:
24 Feb 2020

Seeing as the browser is the same on both, why would one affect the other. If there’s an update, they both get ucpdated no?
Yeah that's what I mean, sure they could do that but why would they not do that before releasing the RRP as to have it at it's absolute best to showcase the RRP to non familiar Reason users? not to mention they haven't updated it since Reason 8 in 2016 so they obviously think it's finished.
not sure what you mean by “they obviously think it’s finished”. are you saying they’re never going to try to improve the browser ever again? I think it’s very doubtful that there’s anything in Reason that’s off the table for future changes.

I don’t think they had changed the browser before Reason 8 at least since I started using Reason 5, which was years earlier. they clearly hadn’t thought it was “finished”, since they eventually updated it. it’s only been four years since they updated the browser. it may be a while yet, but they’ll have to improve on it at some point.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

MarzT

24 Feb 2020

chimp_spanner wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Alrek wrote:
21 Feb 2020
I have troubles to get the MIDI CC out working in Logic Pro X as shown in minute 4 in this video:

I have exactly reproduced to steps shown but nothing happens when choosing Midi learn in Serum. Am I missing something?
Note signals are coming through fine.
So after some investigation...it's down to the host. RRP meets VST3 specs, but hosts have to implement CC to automation translation. Cubase has it. Studio One, Live and I guess Bitwig don't. AU works fine from what I can tell so far.

So we need to open up tickets with Presonus/Ableton/etc. and get them to sort it out. I mean they'll have to at some point, as no *new* VST2's are gonna be released right? If VST3 is the only choice, it's on the host to facilitate MIDI plugins.
Yes, I'm having trouble in Bitwig and FL Studio on PC with VST3, having just installed RRP 11.2 trial... If anyone can get it working, especially modulation that starts at 3 min mark in VST3, that would be so cool!

MarzT

24 Feb 2020

chimp_spanner wrote:
24 Feb 2020
danc wrote:
24 Feb 2020

Ok, I'm getting up to speed on this issue. Can confirm on the PC side of things as owner too of latest Bitwig 3.1.2 and FL Studio 20.6 whatever as of Feb 01 official release, I CANNOT get the midi data modulation stuff to work in VST3 so I guess you've summed it up neatly - thanks so much for the info Paul et al.

QVprod

24 Feb 2020

Creativemind wrote:
24 Feb 2020
QVprod wrote:
24 Feb 2020

Yes it was a finished product for Reason 8. Doesn't mean they wont ever update it again. Browsers aren't exactly on the list of things that get updated often barring minor tweaks, and besides I don't think a new user would be confused by the current browser. Sure it could be improved, but it's not a dire situation.

MarzT

24 Feb 2020

chimp_spanner wrote:
24 Feb 2020
danc wrote:
24 Feb 2020

But Reaper has got vst3 working! https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php ... +Rack+11.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattRice View Post
v6.04 - February 21 2020
[*]+ VST: fix support for VST3 plugins that output MIDI via LegacyMIDICCOutEvent

Can anyone explain what this one means, exactly? Will this enable the VST3 Reason Rack Plugin to output MIDI CC's?

EDIT: Just tried it out, it does indeed! Wooooo!

npinero1

24 Feb 2020

I'm glad I just bought the new Mac Pro for all that GUI GPU GOODNESS!
MattiasHG wrote:
21 Feb 2020
WillyOD wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Why would you ever make a "statement" like this? Do you realize what this sounds like?
It sounds like you don't believe in your own Product and you have no idea where the product or your newly named Company is headed
That was not my intention! As a really dumb example: what if we want to give away all updates for free? Then there wouldn't be a Reason 12. I just don't want to confirm or deny that there will be a paid upgrade called "Reason 12".

Regardless of if it'll be a number 12 or not, we have tons of cool improvements for Reason in the pipeline. For example, we're hard at work on high-resolution, GPU accelerated graphics. Don't worry, we're not going anywhere.
:reason: :re: :refillpacker: :reload: :ignition:

chimp_spanner

25 Feb 2020

MarzT wrote:
24 Feb 2020
chimp_spanner wrote:
24 Feb 2020

But Reaper has got vst3 working! https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php ... +Rack+11.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattRice View Post
v6.04 - February 21 2020
[*]+ VST: fix support for VST3 plugins that output MIDI via LegacyMIDICCOutEvent

Can anyone explain what this one means, exactly? Will this enable the VST3 Reason Rack Plugin to output MIDI CC's?

EDIT: Just tried it out, it does indeed! Wooooo!
Yeah exactly! Reaper has it working; it shows it can be done, when there's a will to do it from the developer. Hence my suggestion that we open up support tickets for our DAW of choice and let them know it's something they need to fix. Hopefully it'll just be a case of being patient while all the DAWs get up to speed with this.

pquenin

25 Feb 2020

Yes, all the DAWs are not equals when it comes to transfer midi data thru a chain of plugins. The problem is often on sysex messages, but it can also be the case for more common midi messages, such as midi CC.
For me Reaper is the best for this.

Creativemind

25 Feb 2020

guitfnky wrote:
24 Feb 2020
Creativemind wrote:
24 Feb 2020

not sure what you mean by “they obviously think it’s finished”. are you saying they’re never going to try to improve the browser ever again? I think it’s very doubtful that there’s anything in Reason that’s off the table for future changes.

I don’t think they had changed the browser before Reason 8 at least since I started using Reason 5, which was years earlier. they clearly hadn’t thought it was “finished”, since they eventually updated it. it’s only been four years since they updated the browser. it may be a while yet, but they’ll have to improve on it at some point.
There was no browser (I'm talking about the one now built into the sequencer with drag 'n' drop abilities) before Reason 8 as it was introduced in Reason 8. Also nearly 4 years lol!

• Information