Play One Chord Type on Scales & Chords

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Creativemind

22 Feb 2020

Hi All!

Is there any way to get Scales and Chords Player to play 1 specific chord type up and down the keyboard (midi controller)? I'm talking about work-around here.

To be honest, it was one of the first things I wanted to do with it when it came out in Reason 9. That was 21st June 2016. Just over 3 years and 8 months ago.

Thanks!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

PhillipOrdonez

22 Feb 2020

You mean the same chord transposed like a sampled chord in house music? Note echo is your friend then!

Creativemind

22 Feb 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
22 Feb 2020
You mean the same chord transposed like a sampled chord in house music? Note echo is your friend then!
Yeah like that. I wanna say have a cmaj7 and play it up and down the keyboard.

PhillipOrdonez

22 Feb 2020

Creativemind wrote:
22 Feb 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
22 Feb 2020
Note echo!!! :)

Creativemind

22 Feb 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
22 Feb 2020
Creativemind wrote:
22 Feb 2020

Thanks!

On it's own?

diminished
Competition Winner

22 Feb 2020

Creativemind wrote:
22 Feb 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
22 Feb 2020

Thanks!

On it's own?
maj7.jpg
maj7.jpg (62.34 KiB) Viewed 14305 times
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Creativemind

22 Feb 2020

diminished wrote:
22 Feb 2020
Creativemind wrote:
22 Feb 2020

Thanks!

On it's own?
maj7.jpg
Not at home atm but will try this out when I get home. Will use Chord Detector attached the Note Echo.

selig
RE Developer

22 Feb 2020

Creativemind wrote:
22 Feb 2020
Hi All!

Is there any way to get Scales and Chords Player to play 1 specific chord type up and down the keyboard (midi controller)? I'm talking about work-around here.
Yes, simple: set scale to Chromatic. It's been able to do this since day one, fwiw…
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

PhillipOrdonez

22 Feb 2020

Check it out:

TheDragonborg

22 Feb 2020

lol just sample it... it just has that vibe when sampled especially at lower sample/bit rates.

Creativemind

22 Feb 2020

selig wrote:
22 Feb 2020
Creativemind wrote:
22 Feb 2020
Hi All!

Yes, simple: set scale to Chromatic. It's been able to do this since day one, fwiw…
So I'm trying this out now. On Chromatic it seems to be playing major chords with the notes dial set to 3, maj7 when it's set to 4 and maj9 when set to 5. So can I get other chord types?

PhillipOrdonez

22 Feb 2020

TheDragonborg wrote:
22 Feb 2020
lol just sample it... it just has that vibe when sampled especially at lower sample/bit rates.
Let a man play his own parallel chords. He can then resample them himself! 🤓

TheDragonborg

22 Feb 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
22 Feb 2020
TheDragonborg wrote:
22 Feb 2020
That's what I meant just play a chord and sample it...

Creativemind

22 Feb 2020

TheDragonborg wrote:
22 Feb 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
22 Feb 2020

Well that's all very good if you don't use NN-XT as it changes pitch on that.

TheDragonborg

22 Feb 2020

Creativemind wrote:
22 Feb 2020
TheDragonborg wrote:
22 Feb 2020

Um then set the root note to the root of the chord... I use sampled chords in NN-XT all the time...

PhillipOrdonez

22 Feb 2020

TheDragonborg wrote:
22 Feb 2020
Creativemind wrote:
22 Feb 2020

Um then set the root note to the root of the chord... I use sampled chords in NN-XT all the time...
It does change the playback speed though as you transpose the chord. Which may or may not be an issue. It really depends...

TheDragonborg

22 Feb 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
22 Feb 2020
TheDragonborg wrote:
22 Feb 2020

It does change the playback speed though as you transpose the chord. Which may or may not be an issue. It really depends...
Playback speed does not matter for a sustained note... as long as you don't have too much time-based modulation on the sound... in that case (also for rhythms) I would just load the sample into iZotope Iris 2 (it's on sale for an insane price on plugin boutique right now) and use it's radial pitch mode... or stick it in a Grain Sample Manipulator...

Creativemind

22 Feb 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
22 Feb 2020
TheDragonborg wrote:
22 Feb 2020

That's what I meant so totally unusable for what I want. A "Follow Song Tempo" option like on Studio One's Sample One XT is what's needed for the NN-XT. Update please lol!

PhillipOrdonez

22 Feb 2020

TheDragonborg wrote:
22 Feb 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
22 Feb 2020

Playback speed does not matter for a sustained note... as long as you don't have too much time-based modulation on the sound... in that case (also for rhythms) I would just load the sample into iZotope Iris 2 (it's on sale for an insane price on plugin boutique right now) and use it's radial pitch mode... or stick it in a Grain Sample Manipulator...
I was happy I had decided not to get iris 2. You've sown seeds of doubt in me again... 😂

Creativemind

22 Feb 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
22 Feb 2020
TheDragonborg wrote:
22 Feb 2020

I was happy I had decided not to get iris 2. You've sown seeds of doubt in me again... 😂
I never mentioned Iris 2 and pitch does matter, don't wanna get into a technicalities war but you can't use the NN-XT to sample a chord as it changes speed depending on pitch.

TheDragonborg

22 Feb 2020

Huh what... that's LITERALLY what they did in the 80s and 90s... just sampled a chord and transposed it speed changes and all... just play a long sustained chord with a fast attack and full sustain and use looping to make it play as long as you hold the key down if you want... and don't tell me you can't use NN-XT to sample a chord because that's bullshit. I've been doing that very thing for 13 years... though I do happen to like the weird rhythms that you can make when the speed changes. Never tell me I can't do something production wise because genres are born out of doing things others say you can't.

Creativemind

23 Feb 2020

TheDragonborg wrote:
22 Feb 2020
Huh what... that's LITERALLY what they did in the 80s and 90s... just sampled a chord and transposed it speed changes and all... just play a long sustained chord with a fast attack and full sustain and use looping to make it play as long as you hold the key down if you want... and don't tell me you can't use NN-XT to sample a chord because that's bullshit. I've been doing that very thing for 13 years... though I do happen to like the weird rhythms that you can make when the speed changes. Never tell me I can't do something production wise because genres are born out of doing things others say you can't.
Yes you can do and they did do it in the early 90's in rave / house music especially. 808 State used a cmaj7 chord playing a pad sound (warmer pad on the vst) on the Roland Juno-106 sampled into an Akai sampler on Pacific State but on piano you can hear it speed up slightly but for that kind of music it worked. I don't want that in this situation.

guitfnky

23 Feb 2020

TheDragonborg wrote:
22 Feb 2020
just because you *can* do things a certain way, and *have* been done that way in the past, doesn’t mean everyone wants to, or should do them that way. no one’s said they can’t be done that way.

obviously creativemind isn’t looking for the kind of artifacts that come with sampling the chord. happy it’s worked well for you, but it’s clear he doesn’t want it to sound that way.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Creativemind

11 Jun 2020

selig wrote:
22 Feb 2020
Creativemind wrote:
22 Feb 2020
Hi All!

Just been having a look at this, seems you can do it but only in a limited way, correct? like if I select Chromatic and leave the Notes dial at 3, it will play a major chord up and down, if I set the Notes dial to 4 it will play a maj7 and to 5 a maj9. So you can't play minor chords, 5th chords, m7th chords then? been having a look and can't see how that may be achieved but might be wrong.

• Information