Reason 11.2 is here!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
tiker01

21 Feb 2020

buddard wrote:
20 Feb 2020
tanni wrote:
20 Feb 2020
I dont see the to track function, nor the pattern buttons on the new Beat Map Player. So I only can record the notes into the sequencer in realtime while record is on ?
Beat Map can do both "Send to Track" and "Direct Record" like every other Player.
It doesn't have multiple patterns, though.

But you can still use the pattern automation lane for it!

1. Right-click on Beat Map and choose Create Track for...
2. Right-click on the sequencer track and choose Create Pattern/Loop Lane
3. Draw pattern clips in the Pattern Select lane

The advantage of this method vs automating the On button is that you can control the pattern offset if you want, which can be useful if you have breaks in odd time signatures or just want to mess up the rhythm in interesting ways. :)
It would be great to have multiple patterns. Would it be technically possible?

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Biolumin3sc3nt

21 Feb 2020

What's with all this fantasy gloom and doom speculation? I don't get it!!

EdGrip

21 Feb 2020

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
21 Feb 2020
They love it. Gets 'em all excited.

MannequinRaces

21 Feb 2020

EdGrip wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Some people just want to watch the World burn. I don’t get it either. If you don’t like something vote with your wallet.

sequence

21 Feb 2020

how can I get the Beat Map?

... I have suite, but is not showing up on my product page... and in the shop, if I try to add it it will cost $69.

Have someone with Suite able to get it?

aeox
Competition Winner

21 Feb 2020

sequence wrote:
21 Feb 2020

... I have suite, but is not showing up on my product page... and in the shop, if I try to add it it will cost $69.

It should be in the daw already after you update to 11.2

fieldframe
RE Developer

21 Feb 2020

sequence wrote:
21 Feb 2020

Unlike the Suite players, Beat Map is not licensed separately in Authorizer. It’s part of the core application like Scales and Chords.

sequence

21 Feb 2020

You were right, it was already there... thank you so much!!
I am going to dive in now.... thanks!!

aeox wrote:
21 Feb 2020
sequence wrote:
21 Feb 2020

fieldframe wrote:
21 Feb 2020
sequence wrote:
21 Feb 2020

Unlike the Suite players, Beat Map is not licensed separately in Authorizer. It’s part of the core application like Scales and Chords.

Oquasec

21 Feb 2020

The more the merrier in terms of content.
That's all I have to say about this
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

challism

21 Feb 2020

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Chalk it up to human nature. I think it's easier to be negative than it is to be positive, for most people.
fieldframe wrote:
21 Feb 2020
sequence wrote:
21 Feb 2020

I would love to see Reason do a lot more of this with existing REs (I'm looking at you Complex-1). Preferably not with REs I already own (I'm looking at you Radical Piano and Pulsar). RS, please just take all the Propellerhead REs and bake them into Reason, along with a handful of REs I don't have.... I'll send you a wish list! ;)
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

aeox
Competition Winner

21 Feb 2020

sequence wrote:
21 Feb 2020
You were right, it was already there... thank you so much!!
I am going to dive in now.... thanks!!

aeox wrote:
21 Feb 2020

fieldframe wrote:
21 Feb 2020

I did the same thing haha

joeyluck

21 Feb 2020

Proboscis wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Who on earth uses Audition for making music ? I mean, it's capable and all, but I don't think I've ever read about Audition being anyone's choice for tunes, and I'm not sure I've even seen it covered in magazines too often when talking about DAWs. Adobe's subscription-only model came about because the bulk of users are commercial customers, who would most likely be 'buying' into the whole suite, and they determined that culling the amateurs was of no consequence to their profits.

How many other DAWs are by subscription ? Pro Tools is - and again it's a software that's aimed primarily at the commercial market. so the monthly fee is just a cost of doing business.

For hobbyists/amateurs, which I would speculate that the vast majority of Reason users are, the option of 'taking some months off' is crazy. Inspiration strikes at any time, and it would be more of a deterrent to know that each time that random urge arises, it's going to cost $10 for the privileged to use Reason. It can't even be compared to say Netflix, where if one feels the urge to watch something, there are dozens of other options if one does not have available $$ to restart a membership.

Going by some polls on this forum, there is a significant chunk of people who don't upgrade every release cycle, but maybe every second one. That's three years, or the equivalent of $3.50 per month. It's very unlikely for a subscription model would be that low price. And if it were, the $2 international currency fee suddenly increases the monthly access fee by a whopping 30%

There are plenty of business tools that are subscription only , often because they are also cloud based, that make sense, and I might argue are in fact better for being subscription only. But Reason does not fall into that category. We cannot assume that 'only $$$ per month' is viable for non-commercial private users.

Perhaps you don't realize that many many people these days are struggling, and living pay packet to pay packet. We are on the technological cusp where automation will take away many jobs, manufacturing is sent offshore, and back office services are being outsourced to countries with a cheaper cost of staff. It is becoming increasingly difficult to make end meet, and will continue to do so in the coming decade. This is already being recognized as raising alarm bells from the likes of Elon Musk & Presidential Candidate Andrew Yang, to name but two of many people having this discussion in the public forum.

A subscription model suddenly excludes those people from having anytime-access. Me personally, I do not work at present due to ongoing heath issues. Each month, my income is less than my apartment rent, let alone bills, food, etc. I have several friends who live in a dual-income household with kids, and with the cost of living skyrocketing, they too struggle to get by while maintaining a basic standard of living. The growing problem of poverty extends beyond the unwell, but also to the 'working poor'

Here are some more considerations. If a fixed-agreement debit attempt fails due to insufficient funds, my bank charges me $10 penalty ! If at any given month a subscription debit is attempted, I'm penalized, maybe for the same price as the subscription, but without the access to the subscription I'm being debited for. There is also a fixed (not %) international currency charge for buying stuff from Propellerhead. So that 18 months of extra fees on a month-by-month billing cycle, rather than a single, one-off fee when buying an upgrade. Making music is one of the few things I can do to escape from the reality of bad circumstances, and a subscription model suddenly takes that small pleasure away.

Sure, you can argue that pre-existing software will still work, but for how long ? Support for versions ends, great new feature changes are no longer achievable, and one will be stuck in the past forever. If one were to be in a dire financial situation, but might want to upgrade every two or three releases, gear can be sold, I might ask family to 'gift' me a licence rather than give me some useless physical product that I'll never use, or other means can be found to rustle up $129 to be covered for the next three years.

Or let's say that Reason 12 (or whatever it might be called) is subscription only. My attempts to perhaps use another DAW and still use the thousands of dollars of RE's I've bought (I haven't always been in poverty, quite the opposite) will not be possible, because the RRP will exist only behind a subscription paywall.

Should access to using Reason be limited to only those with financial stability ?
The people I know mostly use Audition for audio editing and for voiceover, but I myself do all of that in Reason. But Pro Tools is probably a better example and is $29.99/month

I wouldn't suggest subscription as a replacement, but just as an option. And I think it can work even better for folks with less money to spend. And it can work well for professionals and those who use it as a hobby. There are already RE subscriptions and there are people who use those...having a subscription for Reason isn't all that different. It's a set of tools you could pay monthly for.

Sterioevo

22 Feb 2020

The current Reason subscription model has the limitation of requiring Reason to be connected to the internet. This is a fatal flaw imho for any subscription model.

Jagwah

22 Feb 2020

Removed by author.
Last edited by Jagwah on 22 Feb 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Sterioevo

22 Feb 2020

Jagwah wrote:
22 Feb 2020
Sterioevo wrote:
22 Feb 2020
The current Reason subscription model has the limitation of requiring Reason to be connected to the internet. This is a fatal flaw imho for any subscription model.
This is only so if you are trialing Rack Extensions or beta testing them before owning them. If you own all your devices you can register your computer to run Reason offline no problem.
No, this applies to subscriptions currently. What you say is not incorrect - I am referring to subscriptions in Reason now.

Jagwah

22 Feb 2020

It was a bit weird not seeing the Reason sequencer / mixer at all in the video, but this is probably the most important time to stress through advertising that the Reason Rack can run in other DAWs.

The Reason 11 release really showed me I don't need to be spending money on Reason unless a release has plenty of decent content for me. For heaven's sake, if RS folded tomorrow I would still happily use Reason 10 for many, many years to come. If a subscription model changes the way I can just sit on Reason not forking out money for as long as I want to then things might become uncool, or I could just remain a Reason 10 purist which so far seems OK with me.

Also I think Mattias should make some more light-hearted tongue in cheek jokes that really freak people out :)

Jagwah

22 Feb 2020

Sterioevo wrote:
22 Feb 2020
Jagwah wrote:
22 Feb 2020

This is only so if you are trialing Rack Extensions or beta testing them before owning them. If you own all your devices you can register your computer to run Reason offline no problem.
No, this applies to subscriptions currently. What you say is not incorrect - I am referring to subscriptions in Reason now.
Oh sorry my bad!!

Sterioevo

22 Feb 2020

Jagwah wrote:
22 Feb 2020
Sterioevo wrote:
22 Feb 2020

Oh sorry my bad!!
No worries.
I have serious concerns regarding subscription models.
My Adobe experience continues to be very ordinary.
Being tied online and numerous "agents" or programs sucking the CPU life out of me is not productive.

Sort that stuff out - yeah maybe.

Yonatan

22 Feb 2020

Well isnt it a bit strange...it is mentioned as an example if Reason updates/upgrades were to become free, and suddenly it is all about speculation about subscription with xx amount per month. There are already DAWs that are very non expensive and almost free nowadays when comes to upgrades of core DAW.
Logic has been upgrading their Pro X for years, Reaper is very cheap, FL Studio has free upgrades etc. People tend to want to put money on what they really find of great value and upgrades and updates has been a steady disappointment choir for many users..
For a more free approach as a marketing competition thing, RS could do that if they can count their revenue mainly on other things, while keeping most users up to date with its core ecosystem.
It all depends on how many new users gets onboard and if the spin goes well with making RE shop a busy place partly because of the Rack Plugin.
Upgrade into new numbers for 129 every x amount of months might be a way of working that gets a bit of an upstacle in the RS work. They might find other ways to get users to buy extras while getting core updates to the platform for free.
But it was just an example and might just be as ordinary with a 129 R12...but now with new owner anything can happen if they see it as a way to get more onto the ship (and shop). Reasons say is to make as many as possible to be inspired to make music, but has been a bit exclusive in its way before but lately started to open up the platform for more. The more in the loop, the more reasonable prices can be and some free stuff too.

I am not totally against some sort of subscription if it really is very very well done and dont exclude many with thinner budgets, including many youths who tend to want to start out with the cheapest possible tools.
But Adobe system subscription is awful.

Sterioevo

22 Feb 2020

Yonatan wrote:
22 Feb 2020
Well isnt it a bit strange...
yeah ikr.
to be fair, the bulk is speculative fat chewing at best.

back on topic
Reason 11.2 is here

Yonatan

22 Feb 2020

Sterioevo wrote:
22 Feb 2020
Yonatan wrote:
22 Feb 2020
Well isnt it a bit strange...
yeah ikr.
to be fair, the bulk is speculative fat chewing at best.

back on topic
Reason 11.2 is here
Yes, the strange part was that a mention and example of "free updates" gets into talking only about paid subscription. It is like someone at a company offer you a free cake and you say "no, I will rather want to pay for it". :) The speculations per se about this or that, subscription models or whatever, I totally understand. But I would find free updates a lovely move. For me, I tend to spend those €129 and more on RE:s anyway through the year. The upgrade makes me not spend more in total, it rather gets into "should I upgrade and hold off on some RE:s or should I better skip an upgrade and buy RE:s instead.". Free things often brings goodwill, and that often goes into spending extra on RE:s because you feel you got some value and so are more prone to buy something extra. It is basic consumer psychology. Goodwill creates trust and it opens the heart, and also the wallet. It can be done in a decent manner or it can be used manipulative (as giving a little bit of chocolate and a customer buys for €50 extra in a shop). That is why tasting events works so well, if you get something "free" you are thankful and are very much more prone to buy the product or service at the spot or later.
Last edited by Yonatan on 22 Feb 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Yonatan

22 Feb 2020

Yes the 11.2 is here and a bit tempting when getting Beat Map included. Trying out the Beat Map in R10, quite handy. Might soon demo the R11 Rack Plugin with Logic and see how it flows.

EdGrip

22 Feb 2020

I still haven't even tried Complex-1. I was all synth'd out for a while there. Might trial it just for fun. :)

Jagwah

22 Feb 2020

EdGrip wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
21 Feb 2020
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nielsen

22 Feb 2020

I'm having an issue in Logic where AU VST instruments become disconnected when I reopen projects with Reason player devices enabled in the MIDI FX slot on said VST channels.

For example:

- Load VST e.g. Roland JV-1080
- Load Reason Rack player device in MIDI FX slot
- Save and close project
- Reopen project
- No signal from the VST instrument

I'm not that experienced in Logic, but is there a way to "reconnect" a VST that sends no output signal? Replacing the VST with a new instance works, but not a useful solution as this also resets the loaded VST patch.

• Information